PDA

View Full Version : Posture Corrector Back Brace Inquiry

nj2Type-S
02-27-2018, 01:27 PM
hey guys,

do you, or know somebody, who uses a posture corrector back brace? I'm thinking of getting one to improve my posture and maybe alleviate some back pains that i've been feeling. i do a lot of muay thai and bjj, so anything to reduce pain helps. i don't have an extensive health plan anymore, so my weekly massage therapy sessions are long gone lol. I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/CFR-Corrector-Shoulder-Humpback-Recorrect/dp/B078WVLGDB/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1519759002&sr=1-9&keywords=back+posture+corrector

thanks!

ExtraSlow
02-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Don't know, but also looked into this topic once and was starting some research on "posture shirts" which seem like a halfway measure that could help.

Looking forward to hearing some discussion on this topic.

msommers
02-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Interesting, I didn't even know these things existed!

I'm trying to reduce the curvature in my spine gradually a couple ways.

1) My quads and hip flexors are way too tight and so rolling out and stretching a few times a week should help.

2) Physio also suggested ways to tilt my hips differently. It's hard to think about mentally but am getting there. Basically, squeeze the top part of your butt really hard, and then imagine you're pushing your belly button towards your spine. Now relax your butt and engage your core (like 20%). Apparently this will increase muscle memory and strengthen those stabilizers.

Bad posture can also be attributed to really tight pecs. One easy way to stretch this out is to get a long foam roller and just lay right on it, belly up. Stretch your arms out wide and bring them inline with your shoulders and just drop them. For me, this was enough to stretch, some people use the wall or door but I find this way much more relaxing.

Left field suggestion, would a weight-belt help with your lower back?

realazy
02-27-2018, 02:56 PM
I haven't used the posture corrector, but since you mentioned something to alleviate pain, I find this works better than a foam roller https://www.roguecanada.ca/mobility-wod-gemini

I use both a foam roller and that routinely and it gives a good stretch and also releases tension on either side of your spine.

scboss
03-05-2018, 11:47 PM
I personally wouldnt do it only because it will only mask the problem. Things I would start doing everyday are

Foam roll glutes, IT bands and quads
Lacrosse Ball TFL (quite possibly one of the biggest culprits for back pain and bad posture other then the psoas)
Cat Cow stretch
Elevated Lunge stretch

Obviously others exist but I think releasing your TFL and hip flexors is extremely underrated

A790
03-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Going against the grain here, but I'd recommend it if you spend a lot of time at a computer.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-06-2018, 07:56 PM
I looked into one of the posture t-shirts that you wear as an undershirt, and it slowly corrects over time, but at $180/shirt, I couldn't justify the cost.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/396955-Posture-shirt-alternative-to-Kinesiotape?highlight=posture

A790
03-07-2018, 12:42 AM
I looked into one of the posture t-shirts that you wear as an undershirt, and it slowly corrects over time, but at $180/shirt, I couldn't justify the cost.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/396955-Posture-shirt-alternative-to-Kinesiotape?highlight=posture

I felt that way too until I was diagnosed with spinal disc degredation in my upper spine due to sitting hunched at a PC too much. Worth every damn penny, let me tell ya.

scboss
03-07-2018, 01:06 AM
I felt that way too until I was diagnosed with spinal disc degredation in my upper spine due to sitting hunched at a PC too much. Worth every damn penny, let me tell ya.

Just curious do you have a good chair when you are at work? Do you find your posture is improved when you take it off? That sucks that you have to sit that long at a time. I have a few clients that are at a desk 12 plus hours and it definitely effects overhead mobility like crazy. If this is legit I might recommend it to a few of them as they have been dropping mad cash on these crazy workstations lol

Also this stretch routine is money!

BkzLqcVnoEg

dimi
03-07-2018, 09:39 AM
I start and end my day with a bunch of sets of hanging exercises. I find they tend to help with any back pain/tension, and especially shoulder issues.

There's a bunch of different videos for ideas here: http://www.idoportal.com/blog/tag/hanging/

mt/jj unfortunately don't exactly promote good posture.

A790
03-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Just curious do you have a good chair when you are at work? Do you find your posture is improved when you take it off? That sucks that you have to sit that long at a time. I have a few clients that are at a desk 12 plus hours and it definitely effects overhead mobility like crazy. If this is legit I might recommend it to a few of them as they have been dropping mad cash on these crazy workstations lol

Also this stretch routine is money!

BkzLqcVnoEg

Nice routine, gonna do it!

I work at a standing desk mostly now. My posture is much improved, but the problem is that when sitting you lose focus and "forget", thus sliding back into the slouch.

J-hop
03-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Nice routine, gonna do it!

I work at a standing desk mostly now. My posture is much improved, but the problem is that when sitting you lose focus and "forget", thus sliding back into the slouch.

I hear you on this. I’m working with a personal trainer and they keep bugging me to work on my posture but if you’re focused on your work you don’t notice when you slouch.

I tried one of those programs that stops you every 20 minutes or so for a few second break but it just got irritating and would break my focus.

I’m trying to push for a standing desk I think that’s a great idea