PDA

View Full Version : LF: Flooring Company and also costs?

BokCh0y
03-08-2018, 10:03 PM
I'm looking to upgrade a small area in one of my rentals from carpet to hardware. The area is roughly 300 sq. ft. in size and the type of hardwood I am looking at is 3/4" red oak select and this would need to be installed and feathered into the existing floor.

Can anyone recommend me a flooring company and perhaps what you feel this would cost? I was quoted $6,029.00 to do this and in my opinion, it seems a bit high and ends up to be about $19.14/sq. ft. total. Note this doesn't include removal and reinstallation of baseboards, touch up, furnace cleaning, hoarding with poly, etc., so for me this is definitely expensive. Worst case scenario I'll go with carpet, just sucks to have to rip it up every 3-5 years to replace due to tenants, but carpet would cost me around $1,000.00.

Anyway, recommendations and thoughts would be great. I am not a pro at this and def not looking to get raped.

Thanks.

craigcd
03-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Just finished my basement and I used "Brothers Flooring" out of Airdrie. I assume they work in Calgary- check out their reviews on google. Their pricing was good and likely received the best customer service I have had in years. Worth a call. Send him what you were quoted minus the pricing and see what he can do.

***Side note, hardwood is always am expensive job IMO.....

BokCh0y
03-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Just finished my basement and I used "Brothers Flooring" out of Airdrie. I assume they work in Calgary- check out their reviews on google. Their pricing was good and likely received the best customer service I have had in years. Worth a call. Send him what you were quoted minus the pricing and see what he can do.

***Side note, hardwood is always am expensive job IMO.....

Thanks for the note CraigCD, much appreciated.

craigcd
03-09-2018, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the note CraigCD, much appreciated.

If its a rental..... I would replace the carpet or carpet over everything for less than the cost of hardwood and do the hardwood if and when you sell! Just a thought!

G-ZUS
03-09-2018, 09:33 AM
If its a rental..... I would replace the carpet or carpet over everything for less than the cost of hardwood and do the hardwood if and when you sell! Just a thought!

Look into vinyl plank, much more durable than hardwood. If you need an installer, pm me. Buddy of mine does flooring and I can get you in touch with him. Don't think he does hardwood though. Mostly carpet/vinyl

Mitsu3000gt
03-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Whatever you do, do not use Westvalley Carpet and Flooring. It was a 6-month nightmare in my old condo with some of the poorest workmanship I have ever seen, and eventually I had to remove them from the job and get it done myself.

BokCh0y
03-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.
craigcd yeah I thought about just going carpet, but just didn't want to deal with carpet nightmares from rentals. Long story short, just sucks.

@gzus yep looking into that too, but I'd have to redo the remainder of the house to match, so not sure how cost effective it would be, but vinyl plank is very nice.
mitsu - thanks for the heads up, won't be calling them now.