PDA

View Full Version : Drip Edge Install - Too Much?

RedDawn
03-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Roofer quoted me $300 to install 30 feet of drip edge onto a roof with existing shingles. This price includes material cost.

Is this reasonable or am I being taken for a ride? I've got other roofers coming on Monday to quote but I just wanted to give this first quote a sanity check.

speedog
03-11-2018, 12:34 AM
If you were installing the drip edge as a part of a complete roofing replacement then I would consider $300 quite expensive.

But your job is basically a service call and it is rare to get a deal on a service call because of the time to set up and tear down is sometimes more than the time it takes to actually complete the job. As a part of a package you're probably looking $2 a foot or less but on it's own it'll most likely be priced quite a bit more - small jobs are often more expensive because of the cost to just roll a truck and tools.

Never the less, there's always hungry people on kijiji but will you really get the quality job that you might be expecting from some guy willing to do it for $100?

ExtraSlow
03-11-2018, 06:41 PM
How much were you hoping for a trained and skilled individual from a reputable company to do this?

Shit, I'd expect an inspection to cost that much, and your issue needs a few bucks worth of materials.

bjstare
03-11-2018, 08:05 PM
How much were you hoping for a trained and skilled individual from a reputable company to do this?

Shit, I'd expect an inspection to cost that much, and your issue needs a few bucks worth of materials.

This is kinda what I'm thinking as well.

Another thing I think about is: would I be willing to give up a Saturday to do this and save $300? Heck no I wouldn't. Therefore, it's worth it to me if someone else is willing to do a decent job for that amount.

freshvibes
03-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Installing 30ft of drip edge before shingles would take no longer than 10 minutes.

Since you have existing shingles, that job now becomes a minimum 60 minute job since you'll have to get under the shingles to secure the drip edge which is a huge pain in the ass.

Also you are most likely doing it off the ladder so the constant readjusting is very timely. I wouldn't do that job for any less than $300 as it wouldn't be worth it.

mr2mike
03-13-2018, 08:28 AM
I'll give you a second quote. Sight unseen. $1000.
I have all the tools and re-roofed before.

Everyone assumes it's a bungalow, single level roof. Could be 2 stories, varied roof line, Cedar shakes...

ExtraSlow
03-13-2018, 08:46 AM
I'll give you a second quote. Sight unseen. $1000.
I have all the tools and re-roofed before.

Everyone assumes it's a bungalow, single level roof. Could be 2 stories, varied roof line, Cedar shakes...

I can vouch for this guy, highly recommended. Don't cheap out and go with the discount place.

mr2mike
03-13-2018, 08:53 AM
My drip edge is high quality, Military grade aluminum.

Masked Bandit
03-13-2018, 12:18 PM
My drip edge is high quality, Military grade aluminum.

Did you pull it off an F150?

Strider
03-13-2018, 12:35 PM
A few years ago, I had to replace ~45' of eavestrough on our detached garage. Got a few quotes for about $300-$350 until I found a super shady guy a kijiji for $180... did a great job.

$300 is probably a minimum charge for it to be worth their while to come out.