PDA

View Full Version : Luggage styles, what's your choice?

ExtraSlow
03-12-2018, 05:19 PM
It's been a long time since I've got new luggage. I think last time I looked they hadn't even invented hard sided suitcases. My current main bag I've had 20 years and it's been great. Fabric American tourister. Now I see lots of folks have pretty serious rolling duffle bags too.

Seems like for "full size" there are three main choices.
What's your favorite?

know1edge
03-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Sugarphreak
03-12-2018, 06:03 PM

botox
03-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Have been using this Carlton for about 8 years with probably over 100 trips with it all over Canada and US and one to China and still in solid shape. It's a smaller full size, but definitely too big for carry on. The material is a hard rubber like that won't crack or chip and I was sold on it when watching the infomercial of a truck running it over and it popped back in it's original shape by itself.

Thaco
03-12-2018, 09:56 PM
i have a set of these (hays brand) with another large one, they have tethers so i can make a frickin train out of them, they're rad, survived 4 trips so far plus a bunch of road trips, easy to spot on the carousel..... i think i originally bought them with HBC points.

Mostwanted
03-13-2018, 09:18 AM
Anybody encounter problems with a damaged Hardshell as a Check in luggage? I always have ocnsidered buying one but dont want to spend $$$ if it is easily damaged.

Mitsu3000gt
03-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Anybody encounter problems with a damaged Hardshell as a Check in luggage? I always have ocnsidered buying one but dont want to spend $$$ if it is easily damaged.

That is the danger with hard-shell - they can crack or get punctured by wheels and things from other people's luggage when they are hurled onto a pile by baggage handlers. If you go hard-shell, make sure you buy quality ones made of polycarbonate, as most of them are made of cheap PVC which cracks very easily. The polycarbonate ones hold up a lot better.

The disadvantage of the hard luggage is it's harder to stuff them with that unplanned souvineer, and if they break it's usually much worse and you can't repair them. With soft luggage, you can stuff them full easier, and if they get a small rip or tear the whole thing doesn't explode and you can just repair it.

IMHO buying cheap soft luggage (can often get a full set or really nice single piece for $50) and replacing every few years as needed is the way to go. Your luggage gets abused like crazy, there is no reason to buy $400 suitcases.

Lately though I have been traveling carry-on only. Unless you're going for a month+ without a washer/dryer, it is ridiculously easy to pack everything you need in a carry on and not have to wait around for baggage all the time.

If you do buy nice suitcases, they are like mattresses and American trucks- don't buy one unless on deep discount. Suitcases are always 40-60% off it seems.

msommers
03-13-2018, 09:45 AM
I have a soft bag that has a ripped handle and generally has been beat to shit. I really need a new one.

I've seen some cheaper stuff at Winner's. Anywhere else you guys would recommend? Or is there a time of year when this stuff is cleared out for new models?

EmJay
03-13-2018, 10:04 AM
I would recommend the Burton Wheelie Flight Deck Travel Bag (40L) or Burton Wheelie Sub Travel Bag (114L) if you want something bigger. I bought the smaller one last year and it has around 20 trips to the states and 1 euro trip so far and its been holding up really well. It has individual compartments on the inside which is nice as it keeps clothing separated and makes things easier to find. I also never check it and it fits perfectly in the overhead compartments; only had issues once where a stuck up lady at checkin forced me to check it as she said it was too big and wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment even though it does.

Burton Wheelie Flight Deck Travel Bag (40L) - https://www.burton.com/ca/en/p/wheelie-flight-deck-travel-bag/S19-149451.html
Burton Wheelie Sub Travel Bag (114L) - https://www.burton.com/ca/en/p/wheelie-sub-travel-bag/S19-116091.html

realazy
03-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Most people don't know this, but if you retrieve your luggage and it is damaged by the airline, you can submit a claim to the airline.

The_Rural_Juror
03-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Most people don't know this, but if you retrieve your luggage and it is damaged by the airline, you can submit a claim to the airline.

I have gone through that process. Other than the 15 min search for the correct airport rep, it is painless. They sent me to Handy Luggage for repairs. The folks there do a great job.

taemo
03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Ended up picking up an Eastpak Trans4 Double Denim for days I don't feel like lugging my 40L hiking bag
https://www.eastpak.com/media/catalog/product/cache/0/image/720x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/import/item/1/EK80F82D.jpg

More comfortable for hotel & airport travel since it stands up no problem and easier to roll around.

bjstare
03-13-2018, 01:22 PM
I voted hard side, but it depends on the trip. I fly once a week on average for work, and 90% of the time I just do a small duffel and messenger bag or backpack. If I have a longer trip I'll do my hardsided carry on instead of duffel. Either way, only carry-on baggage is the way to go.

For longer trips, when only carry on isn't really an option, we have a set of hard sided Samsonite bags. They aren't super nice, not bad though either. Decent quality. I'm a big fan of the hard sided bags, since you can pack stuff in them and worry a bit less about it being crushed.

ExtraSlow
03-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Good call that it totally depends on the length of trip. I was thinking of longer trips where you'd need more than just carry-on. I have a good supply of carry-on stuff already.

botox
03-13-2018, 02:27 PM
I have gone through that process. Other than the 15 min search for the correct airport rep, it is painless. They sent me to Handy Luggage for repairs. The folks there do a great job.

Same here. Had a cracked hard case, took it to customer service right away and only took a few minutes but instead of repair we replaced/upgraded with the one in my post above.

taemo
03-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Depends on your style of travel too.
We went to Asia for 3 weeks in December/January and carry-on sized luggage and back-pack was enough for both my wife and I.
Will be interesting to see how we are going to travel next with a baby though

Mitsu3000gt
03-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Good call that it totally depends on the length of trip. I was thinking of longer trips where you'd need more than just carry-on. I have a good supply of carry-on stuff already.

If you have a washer/dryer as most rental properties and AirBnB's do, you probably don't need any more than a carry-on regardless of trip duration. If you are in a hotel or resort with paid laundry services, then maybe it is more convenient to just bring everything.

shakalaka
03-13-2018, 04:42 PM
4 wheels for easy rolling is a must. I don't care if it's hard or soft though. That being said I think we have some hard Samsonite cases that have been doing well in the past.

PS: It really surprises me to hear/read that people don't care about doing laundry on holidays. Hell, regardless of where I am staying and whether a laundry is available or not, there is no way in hell I want to be bothering with doing laundry. lol

Tik-Tok
03-13-2018, 05:10 PM
It's been a long time since I've got new luggage. I think last time I looked they hadn't even invented hard sided suitcases.

You're parents never had those sweet 70's Samsonite luggage sets?

https://luggageportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1960s-Samsonite-Fashionaire-Two-Piece-Avocado-Green-Suitcase-Luggage-Set-1-939x1000.jpg

npham
03-13-2018, 06:00 PM
I've looked into this a bit recently, and for our trip to Europe(3 weeks), we are going get these:

https://mec.imgix.net/medias/sys_master/high-res/high-res/8948559085598/5052860-RTC02.jpg?w=2500&h=2500&auto=format&q=40&fit=fill&bg=FFF
https://mec.imgix.net/medias/sys_master/high-res/high-res/8949292892190/5052860-BK105-ALT-BODYBACK.jpg?w=2500&h=2500&auto=format&q=40&fit=fill&bg=FFF

Thaco
03-13-2018, 06:03 PM
You're parents never had those sweet 70's Samsonite luggage sets?

https://luggageportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1960s-Samsonite-Fashionaire-Two-Piece-Avocado-Green-Suitcase-Luggage-Set-1-939x1000.jpg

how do you carry that while riding a mule?

- - - Updated - - -

I've looked into this a bit recently, and for our trip to Europe(3 weeks), we are going get these:

https://mec.imgix.net/medias/sys_master/high-res/high-res/8948559085598/5052860-RTC02.jpg?w=2500&h=2500&auto=format&q=40&fit=fill&bg=FFF
https://mec.imgix.net/medias/sys_master/high-res/high-res/8949292892190/5052860-BK105-ALT-BODYBACK.jpg?w=2500&h=2500&auto=format&q=40&fit=fill&bg=FFF

i have looked at a few of those convertible style, every one of them is unusable as a backpack, the handle just grinds in to your back.

taemo
03-13-2018, 06:36 PM

try it out first and see how comfortable it is.
also I take it's a 2 backpack in one? the black-one dimension will not fit on a budget airline as carry-on, unless you can compress it or separate it.

my wife has the Osprey Ozone Covertible 50 (https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/ozone-convertible-50l-22-OZONCVT22_302.html) for over 3 years and has been to Europe and Asia, so far only issue was a ball bearing failure on one of the wheel so Osprey sent her a replacement set of wheel.
anyhow, she's used it only as back-pack twice (places in Europe with lots of stairs or no elevator) otherwise she would just roll it and use the smaller bag as backpack.

npham
03-13-2018, 07:30 PM
The MEC luggage would just be our check-in luggage. We'd likely 'roller wheel' the luggage 80-90% of the time, while using the backpack feature for those uneven cobble roads in rural towns/villages/etc we might travel to. I don't think it needs to be that comfortable since it would be short hauls, taxi to airport, hotel to train, etc.

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2018, 09:35 AM
PS: It really surprises me to hear/read that people don't care about doing laundry on holidays. Hell, regardless of where I am staying and whether a laundry is available or not, there is no way in hell I want to be bothering with doing laundry. lol

The effort is essentially zero, and FAR less time & effort than hauling around multiple bags, or having to wait 30+ mins at a busy airport for your checked bag to come out. The wait at Calgary for baggage is often 30-40 minutes when you just want to get home.

- Dump your dirty clothes pile in the washer, toss in a Tide pod and hit "start" - approx. 15 seconds
- Transfer clothes to dryer and press 1 button - approx. 10 seconds
- Take small bundle of clothes out of dryer and dump them back in your bag - approx. 10 seconds

Unless you are sitting there watching the cycle, it literally takes less than one minute total to do laundry on vacation, and that's if you have do it yourself - lots of places offer it as a service.

I have genuinely never spent more time than that doing laundry on vacation, and there is so little to do (maybe a week's worth?) that it's just one quick bundle of clothes that you bomb in & out. That amount of effort once per week FAR outweighs dragging a second piece of luggage around, waiting at baggage claim, possibly getting search delayed, and dealing with possible lost/damage luggage.

If you're traveling for important business or something, sure you probably want a big suitcase with all your dress clothes and whatnot in it. If you're just on a normal vacation, I'd much rather spend a couple minutes doing laundry over the course of a few weeks than deal with a second bag and the waits at airports, especially if it's a multi destination trip where that is really going to add up.

ExtraSlow
03-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Really great discussion on the need for larger checked bags vs using only carry-on. I personally have done both and see the merits of each for different types of trips.

None of that is relevant to the question I asked however.

shakalaka
03-14-2018, 12:04 PM
On a somewhat similar topic, are you allowed to take your shaving razor, shaving cream and little nose scissors etc in carry on? Heading to SF in a couple of weeks for 5 days and don't want to have to check-in anything.

bjstare
03-14-2018, 12:21 PM
I've travelled with all that stuff in carry on. Shaving cream container has to be under 100ml/100g. And we're talking about a normal disposable razor right, not that straight blade hipster crap? Cause I doubt you'd get on with that haha.

shakalaka
03-14-2018, 12:34 PM
I've travelled with all that stuff in carry on. Shaving cream container has to be under 100ml/100g. And we're talking about a normal disposable razor right, not that straight blade hipster crap? Cause I doubt you'd get on with that haha.

Haha yea regular Gillette Mach 4 or 47 or whatever the hell. I don't use those straight razor things for 'close shaves'. lol

Thaco
03-14-2018, 01:20 PM
from what i have heard they have relaxed things again and now allow small blades (clippers, all the ridiculous stuff they banned before)

Strider
03-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Haha yea regular Gillette Mach 4 or 47 or whatever the hell. I don't use those straight razor things for 'close shaves'. lol

You can bring disposable razors, razors with cartridges (like mach 3, 5, 7, 12), but not safety razor blades (ie ordinary single razor blade).

Thaco
03-14-2018, 02:45 PM

P_D
03-15-2018, 01:03 PM
I have Burton luggage, 10+ years old and is still looks great and has taken a beating back and forth on flights to fort mac twice a month. Lifetime warranty and you can find bags that actually stand out on the carousel plus they have skateboard/rollerblade wheels so they are not noisy as fuck

tonytiger55
03-19-2018, 05:34 AM
Waiting for my train to Chang Mai. Its handy, I used it as a carry on for my three flights here.
I met a guy in Siam-Reap who flew in from Amsterdam but used checked in luggage. They lost his bag and he had to wait a couple days.

I watched a few you tube videos of travel bloggers. They seem to use the carry on but with the rolling handle type.

jwslam
03-19-2018, 08:39 AM
I met a guy in Siam-Reap who flew in from Amsterdam but used checked in luggage. They lost his bag and he had to wait a couple days
Off topic: I've been waiting for that to happen so I can use my credit card insurance for a shopping spree

On topic: Both my carry on and check-in are 4 wheel hard shell.