PDA

View Full Version : Cloud back up, BackBlaze ?

Hero_X
03-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Hey guys,

So as with my previous threads, talking about RAID, I think having a cloud backup would be a good idea as well.

Have any of you used "BackBlaze" cloud back up? Is it any good? It's relatively cheap compared to other cloud services but i'm not sure how reliable / reputable the company is.

Google drive is alright but backblaze apparently has unlimited data storage, so sounds more appealing. Share your experience plz, and if you have any other recommendations for cloud backup.

ExtraSlow
03-13-2018, 05:53 PM
When looking at how much you can back up, consider what actually needs backing up and what doesnt. For me, I really need my photos and some business files backed up, but not my music of videos, so that's only a portion of the total.

I use spider oak.

taemo
03-13-2018, 06:24 PM
what are you looking to back-up exactly?

I use Amazon Prime to back-up my photos (unlimited) and use Dropbox/OneDrive to backup some personal data.
Otherwise my NAS is strictly for storing videos/music and if I lose them, not a big deal.

nzwasp
03-13-2018, 06:56 PM
I use backblaze after hearing about it on the podcast hello internet. It seems pretty good and at $5 a month I cant complain.

Hero_X
03-13-2018, 07:50 PM
I use backblaze after hearing about it on the podcast hello internet. It seems pretty good and at $5 a month I cant complain.

How easy is it to get back your files? Can you download files one at a time or is it just one giant backup dump?

And I have a mixture of photos, videos, documents that I want to back up. Granted, I don't think they would need too much space, but it would be nice to have that available.

nzwasp
03-13-2018, 08:40 PM
I believe you can do it one at a time, in groups or even get hard drives full of your stuff in you lose it all. I haven’t yet had to restore anything I use it as my second backup with my raid array being the primary

killramos
03-13-2018, 08:58 PM
I use Dropbox to auto mirror all of my documents across all devices. It’s pretty slick.

And completely free for the quantity I use it for.

Can even access it all on my phone and email or text files to people.

A790
03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Backblaze is awesome. People comparing it to Dropbox or w/e are missing the concept.

I use Google Drive for all images/work docs/etc. Backblaze runs on my PC in the background. It's awesome, affordable, and easy to use. Restoring is easy- select the files/folders you want, and BB will zip it up for you. Download and done.

killramos
03-14-2018, 11:15 AM
What is the concept?

Online Cloud storage that your shit gets saved to?

rage2
03-14-2018, 11:28 AM
I use Google Drive. QNAP has a cloud sync that will mirror your whole SAN in the background. Supports every major cloud storage provider. Since I’m on google drive business with unlimited storage it was a no brainer.

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2018, 11:32 AM
Backblaze is awesome. People comparing it to Dropbox or w/e are missing the concept.

I use Google Drive for all images/work docs/etc. Backblaze runs on my PC in the background. It's awesome, affordable, and easy to use. Restoring is easy- select the files/folders you want, and BB will zip it up for you. Download and done.

What if you need to get, say, 300 GB of your data back - how would they handle that? Still a download?

Also do you know if it plays nice with SyncBack pro?

I was using Amazon drive but it's annoying because I have videos mixed in with my photos, and I hit the 5GB limit right away on the videos. For photos only though it is excellent and allows RAW files of any size in the unlimited quota.

msommers
03-14-2018, 11:32 AM
I've been using Crashplan for awhile now but the background program chews up a lot of memory. Plus they switched a few months ago to another company but honouring the current subscriptions.

Is BackBlaze less resource heavy?

Seth1968
03-14-2018, 12:20 PM
What is the concept?

Online Cloud storage that your shit gets saved to?

Yes.

Cyptolocker infections are becoming the norm, but they can't touch cloud storage. For now.

It's the same as you're about to pay every month for a Microsoft or an Apple operating system.

rage2
03-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Cyptolocker infections are becoming the norm, but they can't touch cloud storage. For now.
Well if you have your backup live synched, it'll synched the encrypted files to the cloud as well. On the bright side, it'll be slow (bandwidth limited) so not much damage if you catch on quickly. Plus most cloud storage providers keep file versioning so you can revert back to the clean version and resync back the other way to unencrypt everything on your local storage.

killramos
03-14-2018, 12:46 PM
I think I’m going to airgap everything.

The internet is overrated.

A790
03-14-2018, 12:57 PM
What if you need to get, say, 300 GB of your data back - how would they handle that? Still a download?

Yes. Or you can pay a few bucks and they'll send you hard copy.

Can't speak to SyncBack- no ideas there.

Hero_X
03-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Few questions about backblaze:

1) The site mentions 1 computer. So can you change the computer you're backing up from or is it fixed?
2) can you specify which folders/files to back up and sync? I know dropbox has this "drop box folder" kinda deal, where you jsut drag and drop for back up. Does backblaze have something similar?

3) When trying to retrieve data, does backblaze show you directories/file list, and let you download them individually? Can they be downloaded anywhere or can it only be on the back up computer?

Thanks in advance

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Yes. Or you can pay a few bucks and they'll send you hard copy.

Can't speak to SyncBack- no ideas there.

Cool, thanks - I will probably give it a try.

A790
03-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Few questions about backblaze:

1) The site mentions 1 computer. So can you change the computer you're backing up from or is it fixed?

YES, you can change computers.

2) can you specify which folders/files to back up and sync? I know dropbox has this "drop box folder" kinda deal, where you jsut drag and drop for back up. Does backblaze have something similar?

YES

3) When trying to retrieve data, does backblaze show you directories/file list, and let you download them individually? Can they be downloaded anywhere or can it only be on the back up computer?

YES

Thanks in advance

Inline.

JfuckinC
03-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Damn i was trying to figure out the amazon backup with my QNAP the other day. That shit was confusing lol is this one easier to understand?

WTF is a bucket.......

JfuckinC
08-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Bump, Rage, or anyone that knows, how can i hook my QNAP up to google drive? Amazon S3 is too confusing for my limited knowledge lol

taemo
08-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Bump, Rage, or anyone that knows, how can i hook my QNAP up to google drive? Amazon S3 is too confusing for my limited knowledge lol

I use Hybrid Backup Sync on my QNAP TS-469L for a 2-way sync to my Amazon Prime and ODFB (I think it also needs Cloud Backup Sync installed)
https://s22.postimg.cc/ekigogzbl/backup.jpg

There's also Cloud Drive Sync which I see can also sync to Google Drive, have it installed on my NAS but haven't used it yet.

rage2
08-07-2018, 10:40 PM
I use cloud drive sync. Make a folder on google drive, select that folder in cloud drive sync after you log in, and it just mirrors everything in there.

Bonus is all my files on my NAS are accessible anywhere with google drive access, including iPad on the road.

JfuckinC
08-07-2018, 10:45 PM
I use Hybrid Backup Sync on my QNAP TS-469L for a 2-way sync to my Amazon Prime and ODFB (I think it also needs Cloud Backup Sync installed)
https://s22.postimg.cc/ekigogzbl/backup.jpg

There's also Cloud Drive Sync which I see can also sync to Google Drive, have it installed on my NAS but haven't used it yet.

I use cloud drive sync. Make a folder on google drive, select that folder in cloud drive sync after you log in, and it just mirrors everything in there.

Bonus is all my files on my NAS are accessible anywhere with google drive access, including iPad on the road.

Beauty thanks for the info guys, I’ll have a look tomorrow. Transferred a ton of Shit tonight from one NAS to a newer better one super quick and easy using rsync. So at least something went well haha.

Rage Qnap has an app called Qfile that works well for accessing things from iPhone/iPad as well.

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2018, 08:38 AM
I've been using Blackblaze to supplement my backup routine for a while now and the only thing I hate about it is it FORCES you to back up your entire C drive. There is no way around that. How difficult would it be to just let me uncheck the C drive like I can any other drive?

I also don't think you can pick individual folders to backup, only make exemptions which is much more annoying IMO. Overall it's good though, I don't think there is anything better out there offering a similar service.

revelations
08-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Yes.

LOL - I've seen many peoples Google Drive folders nuked or locked up. This will be the next major attack vector.

Anything you can click on your PC (eg. C drive, network shares) to access without entering a password every time, is vulnerable.

A good mitigating factor is to install a file monitoring software, like Cyberreasons' RansomFree (looks for massive attrib or file changes).

rage2
08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
LOL - I've seen many peoples Google Drive folders nuked or locked up. This will be the next major attack vector.
Google drive has 30 day version history, so you can restore to previous unlocked version.

revelations
08-08-2018, 11:05 AM
Google drive has 30 day version history, so you can restore to previous unlocked version.

Yea I was able to recover some/most of it - not sure what happened to the other files though.

JfuckinC
08-08-2018, 01:10 PM
It's going to take me a month to back things up it looks like lol

rage2
08-08-2018, 01:53 PM
It's going to take me a month to back things up it looks like lol
I capped mine when I started synching. Took 2 years for 7TB haha. Of course after the sync was done, I upgraded to BB300 and unlimited usage.