PDA

View Full Version : new watch recommendations

Buster
03-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Looking at something new - been a shitty winter/spring and need some retail therapy.

Was thinking more of a fashion watch. Something along the lines of a Bell & Ross BR-01. I've always like the BR-01, but I wonder if it's a bit...2006. I don't keep up with the kids as much as I used to.

I know there's lots of watch guys here. Anything caught anyone's eye?

My current grail watch is a blancpain FF. But that will be a reward thing down the road.

ercchry
03-14-2018, 09:19 AM
At the time I was a huge fan of the B&R style... but yeah, I don’t think it’s aged well

Price range?

Buster
03-14-2018, 09:23 AM
What are those BRs? ....$5k? Probably like to keep it in there. Maybe bump to a Panerai price, although Panerai as a brand seems to have had its day too.

taemo
03-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Got into watch collecting again this year and I'm more into field style watches.

The watch that recently caught my attention is the Nomos Club (ref 701, 741 or 751)
https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/watches/families/club#/en/watches/families/club/all-club-models

Dream watch for me would be the Explorer I (1016 or 14270) but personally, I don't like the idea of having more than 1000$ tied in on a watch so I'm finding Seiko to be the best bang for the $.

bjstare
03-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Could look into a dive watch like a Rolex Submariner or Omega Planet Ocean/Planet Ocean GMT. Or Omega Aqua Terra. All of those watches can be had with a bit of color in them as well if that's your thing. They're more of a classic style, Submariner design hasn't really changed (save for color options) in what... forever? One of those will probably be my next watch purchase.

Buster
03-14-2018, 10:18 AM
good suggestions cjblair . The problem with the Omegas is that literally all of my buddies wear them. Probably a bad reason to not pick one up, but it is what it is. The Sub is a great choice, but my next dive watch is going to be the blancpain, which IMO is much cooler than the sub. I can still do the BR - I thin kthey do look cool. But I'm wondering what else is out there other than that and Panerai.

ercchry
03-14-2018, 10:21 AM
pilot, military, or dive? thats really the question

IWC/PAN/Rolex or omega in order would be the more classic choices... which to me is the lasting styles. but yeah probably closer to $10k... except omega

...waits for rage to come in with the tag and hublot :rofl:

asp integra
03-14-2018, 10:22 AM
Why not something a little less well known but swiss and really nice? I have my eye on Alpinas, beautiful watches and timeless looks.
https://www.jomashop.com/alpina-watches.html

CLiVE
03-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Got into watch collecting again this year and I'm more into field style watches.

The watch that recently caught my attention is the Nomos Club (ref 701, 741 or 751)
https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/watches/families/club#/en/watches/families/club/all-club-models

Nice, but I've always preferred the classic Tutima Fliegers more. https://tutima.com/watches/grand-flieger/

killramos
03-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Get an IWC to match the one in your cars dash :rofl:

Buster
03-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Get an IWC to match the one in your cars dash :rofl:

I had to google my car to see if I had a clock in it. Is it summer yet?

Buster
03-14-2018, 10:57 AM
pilot, military, or dive? thats really the question

IWC/PAN/Rolex or omega in order would be the more classic choices... which to me is the lasting styles. but yeah probably closer to $10k... except omega

I think my Zenith El Primero serves me well in most situations where I might throw on a Rolex or even an IWC, and also checks the "pedigree" box. I'm looking for something maybe a bit more casual.

ercchry
03-14-2018, 11:05 AM
tag, omega or chopard.. chopard does some nice driving style stuff... same with omega speedmaster

colinxx235
03-14-2018, 11:13 AM
I always loved the look of Ulysse Nardin pieces, give them a look :dunno:

rage2
03-14-2018, 11:14 AM
B&R is so played out. It's too bad, they looked cool when they first came out, but you're right, it hasn't aged well.

Panerai? I mean, if you're Rambo, or a roid rager who thinks he's Rambo, you could wear one to reminisce over the last Rambo movie.

$5k gets you a decent Tudor if you don't want to go full Rolex. IWC has a ton of great watches in the $5k-8k range, from classic sporty watches like the Pilots, or classy/fashion watches such as the Portofino.

Both Tudor and IWC won't tank in value worst than an AMG off the showroom floor. :D

Happy? :rofl:

edit:

I think my Zenith El Primero serves me well in most situations where I might throw on a Rolex or even an IWC, and also checks the "pedigree" box. I'm looking for something maybe a bit more casual.
If you don't care about pedigree or depreciation, go and get a Cartier. Pure pretentious fashion watch haha.

shakalaka
03-14-2018, 11:47 AM
I have an IWC Spitfire Chronograph that I really like and I think fits that bracket (well known but not too obvious/gawdy looking at the same time) really well. It would be hard to find a new one for under $10K, but in the used market you may be able to get something around $5-$7K range.

sabad66
03-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Breitling Superocean line?
https://www.prestigetime.com/images/watches/a17365d1-c915-149s_main.jpg?ver=1

shakalaka
03-14-2018, 12:08 PM
^If going Superocean, I'd pick the one on mesh. Can't go wrong with either tho. I got a Brietling Navitimer World (all time favourite) and also a Brietling Chronoliner on mesh. They both can be dressed up or down with ease. Do love me a Superocean on mesh though, just trying to put some time before the next purchase so as to not get beat up by the wife. Funnily enough though, the latest acquisition being the Tissot Squelette (not pricey at under $2K) has been seeing most of the wrist time and something I've gotten the most comments/compliments on.

rage2
03-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Funnily enough though, the latest acquisition being the Tissot Squelette (not pricey at under $2K) has been seeing most of the wrist time and something I've gotten the most comments/compliments on.

I’ve got a McLaren Formula 1 Quartz on rotation for the last week, and it’s gotten way more attention than anything else I’ve worn in the last year haha.

Most people simply aren't watch snobs like us.

Buster
03-14-2018, 12:44 PM
I don't have anything against Tag...but maybe I'm an old fart - isn't it kinda a 90s thing?

Justing
03-14-2018, 12:44 PM
The BelowZero perhaps? Not as squared off as the BR-01, but a great watch in its own right.

Buster
03-14-2018, 12:45 PM
I have an IWC Spitfire Chronograph that I really like and I think fits that bracket (well known but not too obvious/gawdy looking at the same time) really well. It would be hard to find a new one for under $10K, but in the used market you may be able to get something around $5-$7K range.

Love those...my only concern with budget is that if it gets too high, I'll go full ritard and just buy myself the Blancpain.

killramos
03-14-2018, 12:51 PM
I dd a quartz omega seamaster. Pretty great watch, goes with anything on a ss bracelet. And it’s not so big and heavy that you bounce it off shit every time you turn around.

shakalaka
03-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Love those...my only concern with budget is that if it gets too high, I'll go full ritard and just buy myself the Blancpain.

That is actually on my list! Great choice, I say go for it. I love the domed shape crystal on those. In fact this watch got me looking at other domed shaped ones like the Corum Bubble...albeit that ones on a the gawdy sound.

Buster
03-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Back when the dollar was at par, I had one on my wrist in Vegas, and was so close to pulling the trigger. But I was pretty turbo-d and thought better of it. Now I'm kicking myself. I'll get one eventually. Buncha fucking enablers around here. haha.

rage2
03-14-2018, 01:31 PM
I don't have anything against Tag...but maybe I'm an old fart - isn't it kinda a 90s thing?
Depends on which market segment you sit in.

Heuer was a well respected brand before TAG bought them out, lots of notable firsts and decent historical significance. TAG's purchase transformed them into a mass seller of cheap watches and a pure fashion brand. TAG's sale in the late 90's to LVMH started the shift away from a whored out luxury watch company to one focused more on technical innovation, although the whored out F1 line still exists today to cater to the 90's market, but it's not as big in that market as it once was.

The watch snobs are slowly coming back to the brand since the LVMH acquisition, but it's nowhere near the snob following of the Swiss big boys (Rolex, Omega, AP, Patek).

But I'm biased since I'm a fan haha.

Buster
03-14-2018, 01:34 PM
I'm a pretty surface watch guy, no where near as hardcore as most of you guys. That McLaren watch looks badass....would be expensive to get the matching car.

JRSC00LUDE
03-14-2018, 01:36 PM
I’ve got a McLaren Formula 1 Quartz on rotation for the last week, and it’s gotten way more attention than anything else I’ve worn in the last year haha.

Most people simply aren't watch snobs like us.

They probably aren't sure what that 3'" nylon boner sticking off your wrist is all about.

rage2
03-14-2018, 01:49 PM
I'm a pretty surface watch guy, no where near as hardcore as most of you guys. That McLaren watch looks badass....would be expensive to get the matching car.
Each McLaren F1 came with it's own TAG Heuer watch, ironically cheap ass quartz from the 90's era because that's all they made at the time. :rofl:

The MP4-12C is way cooler:

You can tell I'm a TAG Heuer fan because I actually discovered that watch months before release. I need a life.

https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-mclaren-mp4-12c/

Sadly, TAG ended their relationship with McLaren so there won’t be any new McLaren watches anymore.

asp integra
03-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Alpina Seastrong Diver ftw
https://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/watermark/490x490/0a1186946c551c1cc1f1a1120b7bd9a0/a/l/alpina-seastrong-diver-300-automatic-mens-watch-525lbn4v6.jpg

C4S
03-14-2018, 07:54 PM
The Bell & Ross BR-01 indeed is a cool and solid even not In house movement. (nothing's wrong with ETA) However, the huge face/dail trend for watch is gone, 44mm to 48mm watches is hard to match outfit, I suggest the BR-03 (43mm I think) which is still kind of big due to the Square shape, but easier to match whatever outfit, I wear my 03 much more than my 01 last ~2 year.

If you are 190cm + , 220lb+, sure, go for the big BR-01.:angel:

The Ceramic case is very nice too .. :)

The Tudor Fast Rider Ceramic is another cool looking sports watch for ~ $5K .. And the Tag Carrera 01 is stunning for ~ $5-6K too, 43 and 45mm, if you can get the RED BULL Edition, that is THE watch! :love:

Buster
03-14-2018, 09:08 PM
I just googled that watch. Very very cool!

rage2
03-14-2018, 09:46 PM
The Heuer 02 (non tourbillon) is even better with the 3-6-9 dial layout. That’s coming this summer, 4-5k.

Buster
03-14-2018, 10:45 PM
Ya...but I wanted something NOW. ha

C4S
03-14-2018, 11:16 PM
Calgary Jewellery has good B & R inventory, also TAG H and the amazing looking Zenith Pilot!

Buster
03-14-2018, 11:24 PM
My daily driver is a Zenith, so I want something a bit different.

Imma just go look at stuff and see what I like in person.

CMW403
03-15-2018, 12:51 AM
I can't get enough of my AP15400. I will keep this watch forever. Classic lines, 43 jewel movement, the strap eventually wears beautifully on the inside, and most of all its SS which is huge for me. Walking around with an 18kt rolex on my wrist makes me feel like i need to protect it at all costs, and at the price of these watches you really do. Its stupid and I hate it.

AP for life.

Buster
03-15-2018, 01:21 AM
Ya, I like AP too...but this is a different watch for a different purpose (at a different budget!)

jwslam
03-15-2018, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't drop big money on this. I bought this one for $50 at winners and get compliments on it all the time

http://www.thewatchagency.com/kenneth-cole-new-york-black-rubber-p-40840.html

yobi5888
03-15-2018, 08:33 AM
http://canwatchco.ca/showthread.php?34068-Blancpain-Milspec-fifty-fathoms

The seller is in Calgary.

ganesh
03-15-2018, 09:09 AM
The Heuer 02 (non tourbillon) is even better with the 3-6-9 dial layout. That’s coming this summer, 4-5k.
rage2 do you have link for this? I am assuming CJ will carry it?

shakalaka
03-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Every time a freaking thread like this pops up, I end up buying a new piece. As if I need excuses to be doing that as it is. Dammit.

rage2
03-15-2018, 09:38 AM
rage2 do you have link for this? I am assuming CJ will carry it?
I'm horny for this version:

https://www.calibre11.com/first-look-2018-carrera-heuer-02-43mm/

43mm to start, 45mm GMT version which I would prefer which is super useful for travelling. Note the 3-6-9 classic Carrera layout. :drool:

taemo
03-15-2018, 09:43 AM
any beyonders want to rock this piece? :rofl:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-jewelry-watch/calgary/rolex-submariner-solid-18k-gold-with-diamond-bezel/1339308324

shakalaka
03-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Ever since I put on the 01 Tag face on my Tag Heuer Connected Modular 45 watch, I've wanted an actual 01. The skeleton look is awesome and it would seem that I am into those lately.

Buster
03-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Every time a freaking thread like this pops up, I end up buying a new piece. As if I need excuses to be doing that as it is. Dammit.

haha. No shit. It seems I just buy what rage2 says to anyway...cars or watches. lol

rage2
03-15-2018, 09:47 AM
haha. No shit. It seems I just buy what rage2 says to anyway...cars or watches. lol
So when are you getting that iPhone X so I don't have to green bubble chat with you like a peasant? :rofl:

Buster
03-15-2018, 09:49 AM
So when are you getting that iPhone X so I don't have to green bubble chat with you like a peasant? :rofl:

The fact that I have no idea what that even means is telling.

But I gotta draw the line somewhere.

shakalaka
03-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Eww not the ugly green bubbles...I don't know how you even talk with those people. I've given up on so many good friends because of that lol.

Buster
03-15-2018, 09:55 AM
I'm horny for this version:

https://www.calibre11.com/first-look-2018-carrera-heuer-02-43mm/

43mm to start, 45mm GMT version which I would prefer which is super useful for travelling. Note the 3-6-9 classic Carrera layout. :drool:

I think I prefer the full pink gold version.

ganesh
03-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the link.
I like the CF and no price for that :)

asp integra
03-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Is it just me or AP's tacky and weird looking? No offence to people who have them, they just don't do anything for me

Buster
03-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Is it just me or AP's tacky and weird looking? No offence to people who have them, they just don't do anything for me

They're pretty 80s

msommers
03-15-2018, 10:35 AM
For those with non-baller status, I came across Vincero on Instagram.

These won me over on design/price as it came with a decent leather strap and more importantly a sapphire face.

I've got this one and wear it daily. The strap is thicker than the Hirsch on my Victorinox, which is nice because the Hirsch has definitely stretched and is a bit loose now.

https://vincerocollective.com/collections/chrono-collection/products/the-chrono-s-blue-brown

ercchry
03-15-2018, 11:46 AM
For those with non-baller status, I came across Vincero on Instagram.

These won me over on design/price as it came with a decent leather strap and more importantly a sapphire face.

I've got this one and wear it daily. The strap is thicker than the Hirsch on my Victorinox, which is nice because the Hirsch has definitely stretched and is a bit loose now.

https://vincerocollective.com/collections/chrono-collection/products/the-chrono-s-blue-brown

“Sapphire COATED crystal” ...not sapphire :rofl:

I’d you want to ball on a budget, buy ONE decent watch... and a bunch of different straps. Straps change the look so much, and can make a piece work with all types of outfits, from black tie... to t-shirt and jeans

msommers
03-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Still fine with it!

blitz
03-15-2018, 12:48 PM
“Sapphire COATED crystal” ...not sapphire :rofl:

Do you often scratch the backside of the crystal?

I’d you want to ball on a budget, buy ONE decent watch... and a bunch of different straps. Straps change the look so much, and can make a piece work with all types of outfits, from black tie... to t-shirt and jeans

Or people can just do whatever the fuck they want with their own money :rofl:

ercchry
03-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Do you often scratch the backside of the crystal?

Or people can just do whatever the fuck they want with their own money :rofl:

Anything besides “sapphire crystal” in the description for a watch is some bs gimmicky bs that will not hold up

Clearly people can do whatever they want with the $50-$130 watch recommendation in a thread where the OP wants a $5k budget :rofl:

statick
03-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Hi Buster,

Enablers indeed... It's always great to chat new acquisitions with fellow horophiles!

It's been said a few times already, but unless you're in love with the aesthetic of any specific B&R offering, I'd pass on it. There are certainly better options, especially for the price point.

What do you currently have in the stable? Which reference Zenith El Primero is it? What do you like or dislike about it? If that's your daily wear piece, what purpose will this new one be fulfilling?

hks
03-16-2018, 11:58 PM
5k is a pretty large budget for a "fashion" watch. That's also getting into the range where you start looking at some pretty serious pieces which are well beyond fashion. You could spend a lot less than 5k and get what your looking for.
If your digging the Bell and Ross shape, Cartier Tank and TH Monaco both fit that mold. Although the Tank is quite dressy and not something you'd necessarily wear everyday. Neither will ever go out of style as well. Maybe a little more subdued but the GMT's and the spring drives from Grand Seiko are quite amazing pieces as well.

Good luck and happy hunting

CMW403
03-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Really? Interesting, I mean to each their own and all that but I wear all types of watches from 1950 wind up Omegas and rolexes, to my collection of G-shocks, even a big fat Panerei Luminor, and I have never had so many compliments on my AP. I have people regularly interrupt a conversation just to ask me what kind of watch I'm wearing. Not just one or two times, this is literally every time I pull it out the safe. Easily 50-75 strangers approached me about that watch in 2017, whereas not a soul asks me about my vintage submariner with original dial and bezel turning out an absolutely gorrrrgeous patina, even my dads "Hulk" Sub doesn't get anywhere close to the amount of attention my AP gets.

I guess the status quo disagrees with you my friend.

IMO, the Royal Oak couldn't improve at all. The brushed strap combined with the polished links and octagon bezel compliment the new dial perfectly. Next purchase will be the new black ceramic:love:

rage2
03-19-2018, 02:28 PM
IMO, the Royal Oak couldn't improve at all.
Sure it can, that's why they made a Royal Oak Offshore. ;)

CMW403
03-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Sure it can, that's why they made a Royal Oak Offshore. ;)

I strongly disagree, the way they rounded the strap links makes me cringe. Its important to love the strap equally as much as you love the movement, the rounded links completely ruin the Offshore for me. One of the reasons I love the aesthetics of the 15400 so much is the hard lines and the angles at which it reflects light.

rage2
03-21-2018, 12:32 PM
I strongly disagree, the way they rounded the strap links makes me cringe. Its important to love the strap equally as much as you love the movement, the rounded links completely ruin the Offshore for me. One of the reasons I love the aesthetics of the 15400 so much is the hard lines and the angles at which it reflects light.
It was a joke, hence the ;).

RO vs ROO, fans from both sides are passionate about what's better, and it's easy trolling.

CMW403
03-21-2018, 12:36 PM
It was a joke, hence the ;).

RO vs ROO, fans from both sides are passionate about what's better, and it's easy trolling.

I kind of realized that, I just wanted to point out the subtle differences. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an Offshore in my safe but I ain't rich!

C4S
03-21-2018, 04:55 PM
I kind of agree .. "overall" the 15400 is best (or one best) watch in the $20K range ... 41mm ... wasn't too small, nor big, match nice with suit, not too bad for casual, although most people will pay a bit more for 15710 ..

Anyway, back to the ~$5-10K .. should also consider IWC ... (as dress watch)

Buster
03-21-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm in Arizona at the moment (fuck Calgary weather). Is it worth buying in the states at the moment?

CMW403
03-21-2018, 05:18 PM
I'm in Arizona at the moment (fuck Calgary weather). Is it worth buying in the states at the moment?

Definitely. I PM'd you.

civicHB
03-21-2018, 05:19 PM

After exchange rate and duties it is likely not worth it.

CMW403
03-21-2018, 05:25 PM
After exchange rate and duties it is likely not worth it.

I know a lot of guys that will just wear the watch back and expedite the certifications overnight using an extremely expensive courier (don't want to lost those) and then they ship the wooden box and whatever other accessories back seperately via UPS or whatever. :thumbsup:

I don't have the balls to do it lol. I get great deals on watches down there anyway so its always worth it to buy down there no matter if I'm shipping or wearing it back.

C4S
03-21-2018, 08:44 PM

Yes ... and no .. for the brands you can buy in Calgary, buy local, better service, better warranty, (extended warranty) and better relationship, the difference is usually within $1,000, so better buy local.

For the brand or model you can hardly get in Calgary locally, buy in US, or if you see some NOS (new old stock) such as premium metal Hublot, the discount in US could be huge!

For Rolex, Tag, Omega, Tudor, Pam, Cartier, IWC etc main mid range luxury brands, price in Calgary is pretty good.

jaylo
03-22-2018, 02:40 PM
I dd a quartz omega seamaster. Pretty great watch, goes with anything on a ss bracelet. And it’s not so big and heavy that you bounce it off shit every time you turn around.

Still kicking myself for not grabbing one a years ago, I think it was about 1,500$ back then and they are so rare you can't find them anywhere (quartz, the one with the red "Seamaster" font).

jaylo
03-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Buster if you do not mind the ETA movement look into Tudor watches.

Or spend a bit more and grab a Rolex Submariner and call it a day.

flipstah
03-22-2018, 03:03 PM
My daily driver is a Zenith, so I want something a bit different.

Imma just go look at stuff and see what I like in person.

Why are you looking for a different watch? Specifically, what features/style are you trying to differentiate from? What's the must-have and dealbreaker aspects?

Your budget is $5ish k, is that right?
statick mentioned it already, so I didn't want the question get lost through the pages.

Buster
03-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Saw this at Costco in the US here. Thoughts?

rage2
03-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Pass for me. Zero interest in B&R these days, but that’s just me.

Buster
03-22-2018, 10:48 PM
Ya, it's more my cheapness coming out: that price is crazy.

C4S
03-23-2018, 12:46 AM
Price is great, but Gold bezel BR is terrible, $4400 US, with ~ 6% state tax, 32% exchange rate, 5% duty, 5%GST, close to $7k cad, better buy their BR series in Calgary. :)

Buster
04-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Really? Interesting, I mean to each their own and all that but I wear all types of watches from 1950 wind up Omegas and rolexes, to my collection of G-shocks, even a big fat Panerei Luminor, and I have never had so many compliments on my AP. I have people regularly interrupt a conversation just to ask me what kind of watch I'm wearing. Not just one or two times, this is literally every time I pull it out the safe. Easily 50-75 strangers approached me about that watch in 2017, whereas not a soul asks me about my vintage submariner with original dial and bezel turning out an absolutely gorrrrgeous patina, even my dads "Hulk" Sub doesn't get anywhere close to the amount of attention my AP gets.

I guess the status quo disagrees with you my friend.

IMO, the Royal Oak couldn't improve at all. The brushed strap combined with the polished links and octagon bezel compliment the new dial perfectly. Next purchase will be the new black ceramic:love:

What Luminor do you have?

taemo
04-06-2018, 01:36 PM
anyone seen the Rolex and Tudor GMT announced in Baselwolrd?
Of the 2, IMO the Tudor looks the nicest and cheaper too because it doesn't carry the Rolex name

Disoblige
04-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Pepsi! I saw it, but didn't think much of it. But yeah, I also think the Tudor looks nicer.

Buster
04-06-2018, 02:07 PM
I've never really considered Tudors before. Aren't they like the Boxster of the watch world (apologies to Boxster owners).

C4S
04-06-2018, 02:38 PM
I've never really considered Tudors before. Aren't they like the Boxster of the watch world (apologies to Boxster owners).

Yes and No .. Tudor is owned by Rolex, not Swatch group nor LVMH etc (VW case) which is a good thing, Tudor is Luxury brand as Rolex, (like Boxster/Cayman/718 vs 911 ) but more stylish, ( Cayman arguable look nicer than 911) also similar level as Bell and Ross, Omega, Breitling (Tudor supplies movement to Breitling ) however, because of "ROLEX", no plan to make high end or special version of Tudor, and keep Tudor at the $3-8K range.

Early Tudor are ETA, which is very stable, reliable, and low service cost, more and more Tudor are in house movement now, with pros and cons, as some early In house movement are not super stable, but it should be fine now.

Tudor watches are quite high demanding and some new models are selling for over MSRP, but just the first few month, (think IWC and Pam) unlike Rolex, most popular models are selling for 20-30% over MSRP ALL THE TIME.. (especially in Asia)

I still highly recommend Bell and Ross, let me see if I have a photo.. :)

C4S
04-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Found one photo ..

I like this one more than my plain silver BR01 ..

Good size, easy to wear, thin, no worry to get scratched with kids, and can match dress shirt as well.

:)

Disoblige
04-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Earlier in the thread, there were mentions of Panerai. Where do you guys typically shop for these for decent prices? Anything to expect from this brand?

Buster
04-09-2018, 11:28 PM
Earlier in the thread, there were mentions of Panerai. Where do you guys typically shop for these for decent prices? Anything to expect from this brand?

I'm going to head over to Brinkhaus to take a look. But they would need to get pricing competitive with the grey market guys in the US after exchange and no tax for me to buy from them.

Disoblige
04-10-2018, 12:09 AM
I'm going to head over to Brinkhaus to take a look. But they would need to get pricing competitive with the grey market guys in the US after exchange and no tax for me to buy from them.
Agreed. I'd be curious of your findings, but from previous scoping, they weren't close. My last watch I purchased from an AD in Austria.

I'm looking for a Panerai or possibly IWC Portugieser in the near future but still price shopping.

yobi5888
04-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Which is roughly how much discount you are expecting?

Buster
04-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Which is roughly how much discount you are expecting?

I hadn't put much thought into it. I was going to pick the watch, and then figure out how to buy it. I'd certainly pay a premium to get it from a Canadian AD. But there is a crossover point.

C4S
04-10-2018, 12:18 PM
"HOT" models, better buy in local Canadian AD or Boutique at MSRP or very small discount, (grey market will be always over MSRP) better service, better warranty, and can add on extended warranty, discount for oil service/maintain/polish service, free shipping etc. (i.e.: Rolex, PP, some IWC /Pam)

"Cold" models, could be 20-50% discount from grey market, but usually NOS, (new old stock) which mean could be about the time for service, (not bad, ~$500 +/-) but lack of local dealer support nor discount on service/parts, most likely cannot get extended warranty... however, the cost different could be big ... (i.e.: some Zenith, TAG, Hublot, Bell&Ross, Nardin, Corum ) which is fine for a casual watch only wear once a while.

"Warm" models ... most interesting, slightly cheaper from grey market, depends on exchange rate, usually within few hundred bucks to $1,000 /10% diff, not much, still better to buy local, but selection/colour/size may be limited .... (Cartier, IWC, J-L, AP, Pam ..)

:burnout::burnout::burnout: