PDA

View Full Version : Flights over 10+ hours (i.e. do you hate flying? regardless cabin choice)

Pages : [1] 2

TomcoPDR
03-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Who else hates flying when it's over 10+ hours flights? Regardless if you're in economy or business/first class... To me, it still doesn't make a difference, still sucks shit being stuck in the plane bored as fuck, dizzy as fuck.

Some ppl say they love flying business/first class/airport lounges. IMO (for flights over 10+ hours), that's like saying just add more bread to a shit sandwich, makes it feel like you're eating less poo. (purely imo; just sucks regardless)

killramos
03-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Long flights don’t bother me.

Business/first makes it much much much better. Booze and space. Nuff said.

Long flight unable to move and stretch is pretty uncomfortable.

revelations
03-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Sitting on the top deck of a Lufthansa 747, with in flight WIFI and work on my laptop - I can keep busy for a very long time. Then a snooze followed by snacks.

Make SURE you drink a lot of water.

holden
03-14-2018, 05:16 PM
If it's economy, yes I hate it. If it's Business or better, I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I certainly don't mind it. You can turn the seat into a lie-flat bed and take a nap, walk around (some planes have bars), eat good food (usually), watch some entertainment (either on their equipment or yours, plus planes with wifi now), etc. Normally only get to fly Business on Aeroplan reward flights (mini-RTW).

vengie
03-14-2018, 05:21 PM
Headphones on and I sleep

Kobe
03-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Xanax and I sleep

Not so much hating long flights but I hate connecting flights and having to wait and airports, I really try to avoid that as much as possible..

Thaco
03-14-2018, 05:42 PM
never been on one longer than 3, lol

KPHMPH
03-14-2018, 05:53 PM
I’ve flew my fair share of ecomy flights and I can say I never want to fly peasant class again.

Pods always.

https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2015/09/Dreamliner-interior-for-BA-by-Forpeople_dezeen_784_6.jpg

Sugarphreak
03-14-2018, 06:05 PM

killramos
03-14-2018, 06:10 PM
I basically use my avion points to cover the base ticket costs, then pay the remainder to upgrade to business.

Works out about the same as just paying for economy.

max_boost
03-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Luckily the girls I have dated are all about that cheap economy class flight but then they hit me up good when we go shopping so end of the day, same shit diff pile. Just a matter of how you wanna spend your coin. Planning a trip right now with one of the gfs and she gets a buddy pass hookup so she'll be in business class while I hang out in economy haha

Personally I still haven't done it and don't think I care for it. The difference in price is just too much for me to justify. :dunno:

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve flew my fair share of ecomy flights and I can say I never want to fly peasant class again.

Pods always.

https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2015/09/Dreamliner-interior-for-BA-by-Forpeople_dezeen_784_6.jpg

Oh man that is boss :bigpimp:

saiyajin
03-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Luckily the girls I have dated are all about that cheap economy class flight but then they hit me up good when we go shopping so end of the day, same shit diff pile. Just a matter of how you wanna spend your coin. Planning a trip right now with one of the gfs and she gets a buddy pass hookup so she'll be in business class while I hang out in economy haha

Personally I still haven't done it and don't think I care for it. The difference in price is just too much for me to justify. :dunno:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man that is boss :bigpimp:

dayum playa :bigpimp:

Manhattan
03-14-2018, 07:17 PM
Xanax and I sleep

THIS.

It's one of those bucket list things you have to experience. Flying to Japan in business class was by far the most luxurious thing I've ever done and it far exceeded my expectations. You just get pampered with 5 course meals, amazing snacks and wine/drinks list at anytime and pampered like crazy. I didn't wanna get off the plane haha.

max_boost
03-14-2018, 07:28 PM
I think for the price difference I'd rather get pampered at the Park Hyatt and have my Lost in Translation moment :dunno:

KPHMPH
03-14-2018, 07:33 PM
I don’t know where you guys are buying your tickets ???

I paid $2990 for a business Pod to London last year. We just got back from Florida and our pods were $1450 a ticket with United.

I still try and find the deals! Haha

TomcoPDR
03-14-2018, 07:36 PM
so she'll be in business class while I hang out in economy haha

I'd think would be great adventure/chase for you to sneak into business during flight and squeeze into her pod.

TomcoPDR
03-14-2018, 07:39 PM

I paid $2990 for a business Pod to London last year. We just got back from Florida and our pods were $1450 a ticket with United.

Commercial business/first class isn't as "expensive" comparatively as in the 90's, as movers and shakers and rappers move into private jets/timeshare jets. My point still stands, long flights = suck ass

max_boost
03-14-2018, 07:42 PM

That's an awesome deal.

I remember my Spain ticket was something like $2500 but Biz class was $6k haha Fk that noise. That's what i mean, that extra $3500 X2 will pay for the trip itself.

But hey Elon Musk is working on the Rocket tech where we can blast to London in 30mins :burnout:

- - - Updated - - -

dayum playa :bigpimp:

Nah bro. Those days with the Asian Baby Girls are long gone / done. Them White NE girls are just happy to go anywhere. Oh Mexico? Best BF EVER!!! :rofl:

CompletelyNumb
03-14-2018, 11:14 PM
On my last half dozen international flights, the business seats were usually 10x more than economy. I generally site in premium economy.

I've flown first class once. :love:

Buster
03-14-2018, 11:22 PM
Commercial business/first class isn't as "expensive" comparatively as in the 90's, as movers and shakers and rappers move into private jets/timeshare jets. My point still stands, long flights = suck ass

The major wealth demarcation line is whether or not you can fly private exclusively. If you are under that line, then everybody has the same shit (a car, a house, vacations, etc), it's just different variations of nice. Flying private - that's life changing. I'm not jealous of rich people...but I am jealous of people I know who have enough money to fly private.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Every time I have been offered a pod upgrade it has been ~$2500 per person, per way. So round trip would add about $5K to each person's ticket price, which is enough to go on a month long trip somewhere special or to send two people to a Sandals resort for a week. At least for now, I suffer economy :rofl: It's really not that bad if you can get an addictive show on your tablet or if you can sleep. If you were super tall and/or fat I can see how it might be a much less pleasant experience.

I do often pay for premium economy when the opportunity presents itself, a couple hundred bucks for the extra leg room to stretch out is usually worth it for longer flights depending on the particular aircraft's seat pitch.

G-ZUS
03-15-2018, 09:02 AM

One of the GF's? how many are there? :bigpimp:

never
03-15-2018, 09:06 AM
The major wealth demarcation line is whether or not you can fly private exclusively. If you are under that line, then everybody has the same shit (a car, a house, vacations, etc), it's just different variations of nice. Flying private - that's life changing. I'm not jealous of rich people...but I am jealous of people I know who have enough money to fly private.

And then there's people with their own planes...my neighbor has his own jet. That's when you go from fuck you money to fuck everyone money!

SkiBum5.0
03-15-2018, 09:10 AM
I've done the commuter thing to London/Aberdeen for 4 years now and unless you are on Sing Air, it's all the same shit. United's new Polaris on their 787 is better than before, and Delta has the best wine list. I'm with Kobe that the worst part about long haul flying is the connector. I'm hoping in the next 10 years, jet sharing gets to the point where the plebs can tap into the "free" capacity of private jets

killramos
03-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Considering even the shortest of flights are 5 figures just the cost of being in the air I son’t see how that would help.

Took a ride on a friends jet back from Phoenix just to get it back to Calgary once and I think just the fuel and pilots were a 30k touch.

Factor in true sharing costs of the plane and I don’t see how even sharing will really help move the needle on cost to fly private.

G-ZUS
03-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Xanax and I sleep

Not so much hating long flights but I hate connecting flights and having to wait and airports, I really try to avoid that as much as possible..

Layovers on international flights are the worst. Especially when you have to go through security again (ie. in Heathrow or Frankfurt) and it's busy af

shakalaka
03-15-2018, 09:39 AM
To be honest as with lots of things, it's about value with me. I am not a cheap person and if you talked to my family they'd tell you how stupid I am with money, but I don't think I would want to shell the extra coin to fly business class or private. Unless obviously you get to the point where you're so loaded that you have no idea where all your money is coming from and spending $50K or something is like chump change. But even then, I just can't be sure. For example, as mentioned above if flying private for 2 people adds $5K to the trip, it's not that I would cheap out on the economy tickets to save the $5K, in fact I'd end up spending that $5K (or more) at a nicer accommodation, shopping, watches whatever the hell else thing that I actually see value in. Usually something tangible that I will have to show for the $ instead of a seat where I sit for a few hours and then it's gone. lol

rage2
03-15-2018, 09:42 AM
Layovers on international flights are the worst. Especially when you have to go through security again (ie. in Heathrow or Frankfurt) and it's busy af
Go steal some lounge passes from people that have 'em. Showers, unlimited booze, fast wifi makes even a 4 hour layover a breeze.

shakalaka
03-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Go steal some lounge passes from people that have 'em. Showers, unlimited booze, fast wifi makes even a 4 hour layover a breeze.

This. Priority lounges are freaking God send. At times I feel that 3-4 hour layover isn't long enough when we are hanging out in there. lol.

nzwasp
03-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Is there a priority lounge in YYZ International side that you can pay for? I have to fly to Ireland in 2 weeks and I have a 6 hour layover at YYZ :/

I dont mind flying economy on long haul flights because the planes are so much bigger, and the toilets are bigger. I have no idea how a bigger person can use the new Air Canada toilets that are at the back of the plane (the toilets are now side by side and feel very tight)

SkiBum5.0
03-15-2018, 09:57 AM
^ There is a Priority Pass lounge I think.

Buster
03-15-2018, 09:58 AM
To be honest as with lots of things, it's about value with me. I am not a cheap person and if you talked to my family they'd tell you how stupid I am with money, but I don't think I would want to shell the extra coin to fly business class or private. Unless obviously you get to the point where you're so loaded that you have no idea where all your money is coming from and spending $50K or something is like chump change. But even then, I just can't be sure. For example, as mentioned above if flying private for 2 people adds $5K to the trip, it's not that I would cheap out on the economy tickets to save the $5K, in fact I'd end up spending that $5K (or more) at a nicer accommodation, shopping, watches whatever the hell else thing that I actually see value in. Usually something tangible that I will have to show for the $ instead of a seat where I sit for a few hours and then it's gone. lol

I sleep like a baby on planes. Normally I'm asleep before we are lifting off. So if I'm in one of the fancy classes, I usually miss the whole experience anyway.

roopi
03-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Is there a priority lounge in YYZ International side that you can pay for? I have to fly to Ireland in 2 weeks and I have a 6 hour layover at YYZ :/

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loungesearch?entity=d4565db9-c74e-449c-ac38-1a18e47193a3

G-ZUS
03-15-2018, 10:23 AM

I was talking about security between flights and waiting in line at those airports, that usually takes up quite a bit of time as its always super busy. Im not sure I know anyone with priority lounge passes, do they get you through security faster as well?

rage2
03-15-2018, 10:38 AM
I was talking about security between flights and waiting in line at those airports, that usually takes up quite a bit of time as its always super busy. Im not sure I know anyone with priority lounge passes, do they get you through security faster as well?
Business class and higher have a priority line, and that's it. Even my altitude status can't get me through any faster if I'm flying economy.

Security hasn't been a huge issue for me, even on my 1.5 hour layover in FRA, I'm able to go through security at B, eat my McRib at McD's, leave B, and do security at C again with time to spare.

I take those McRib's seriously haha.

eblend
03-15-2018, 10:48 AM
I usually fly this whenever possible.

https://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PC130578.jpg

Kidding.. :( peasant class for me. Have the money for business class.....my values won't allow me to splurge.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2018, 11:05 AM
For example, as mentioned above if flying private for 2 people adds $5K to the trip, it's not that I would cheap out on the economy tickets to save the $5K, in fact I'd end up spending that $5K (or more) at a nicer accommodation, shopping, watches whatever the hell else thing that I actually see value in. Usually something tangible that I will have to show for the $ instead of a seat where I sit for a few hours and then it's gone. lol

The upgrade for ~$5K is only one way for 2 people. It would be ~$10K+ for 2 people if that was a round trip. Most trans-Atlantic business upgrades are $2500 per person per WAY (my experience is mostly Air Canada and their business 'pods'), plus whatever you paid for the Economy ticket ($700-900 or so probably). So you are looking at some pretty serious money there. As you say, you could upgrade your holiday activities and accommodation tremendously if you are willing to spend that money but can tough out the 10hrs in Economy. You could also go on 1-2 additional very nice 2 week holidays for that money.

rx7boi
03-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Nah bro. Those days with the Asian Baby Girls are long gone / done. Them White NE girls are just happy to go anywhere. Oh Mexico? Best BF EVER!!! :rofl:

One day we're going to have to make a thread filled with purely max_boost's posts :rofl:

G-ZUS
03-15-2018, 11:57 AM
One day we're going to have to make a thread filled with purely max_boost's posts :rofl:

We need a new section named Ask MB instead of Ask Leo

rage2
03-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Disappointed that I didn't get credited for my wisdom and philosophies. :rofl:

I equate that to when I dated NE girls years ago, providing the bare minimum was baller to them. max_boost will be just fine. :rofl:

Raj masta knows what’s up lol

revelations
03-15-2018, 12:19 PM
With regards to places like FRA - has anyone used one of those private terminal-terminal transfer services? Seems a little odd to be coming from pimp-class and then walking several kilometeres and then standing in a massive lineup to go through security.

I've seen signs of them at FRA and other places.

rage2
03-15-2018, 12:20 PM
The upgrade for ~$5K is only one way for 2 people. It would be ~$10K+ for 2 people if that was a round trip. Most trans-Atlantic business upgrades are $2500 per person per WAY (my experience is mostly Air Canada and their business 'pods'), plus whatever you paid for the Economy ticket ($700-900 or so probably). So you are looking at some pretty serious money there. As you say, you could upgrade your holiday activities and accommodation tremendously if you are willing to spend that money but can tough out the 10hrs in Economy. You could also go on 1-2 additional very nice 2 week holidays for that money.
I'm a wannabe baller. I only book or upgrade business on my own dime through NA where the prices aren't terrible. International is stupid expensive (5-8x economy prices), and I typically upgrade through eupgrade credits + $500 or aeroplan miles. I'm lucky to fly enough for work to earn enough mileage and status for cheap upgrades.

Revenue upgrades are another way to get cheap upgrades, you can check on the AC app how many people are booked in each class when check-in opens 24h before departure. If economy classes are full or oversold and there's lots of room in business/first, revenue upgrades are offered at a much cheaper rate and worth not burning eupgrade or aeroplan miles. Also pays to book departure dates (ie Saturdays) where this happens most frequently. I had a revenue upgrade, 3 segments (2 segments with business class) from LGA to YQQ for $350. Nothing like having the pilot on the last regional flight segment carry your carryon bags for you even though there's no business class seating. :rofl:

Kobe
03-15-2018, 12:45 PM

And I paid $297CAD for a direct economy flight to London for May 6th

That money can be spent on so much more since it's a night flight anyways, will go to the doc get a couple xanax and sleep and be rested when i wake up in London @ 11am...

A790
03-15-2018, 01:03 PM
I'm way to cheap to spend an extra $600+/ticket.

I'd rather spend that cash on the vacation itself, or on something more long-lasting. Wifey and I just did 2 x 14 hour flights to/from NZ. Wasn't the worst thing all things considered.

redblack
03-15-2018, 01:17 PM
I’m like most of the down to earth members on here, I’d rather take the upgrade cash and use it for an extra week or two of holidays. Gotta love the beyond ballers on here humble bragging. Most of my holidays are booked from deals off of yycdeals, I got to make that dollar stretch.

e31
03-15-2018, 01:22 PM
I love flying, however I am ambivalent toward being a commercial passenger.

Unless it's travel for work (on the clock), my general rule is that you stay 1 day per flight hour (10hr flight =10 day vaca). I try my best to make sure that air travel is as immemorable as possible.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2018, 01:56 PM
I'm a wannabe baller. I only book or upgrade business on my own dime through NA where the prices aren't terrible. International is stupid expensive (5-8x economy prices), and I typically upgrade through eupgrade credits + $500 or aeroplan miles. I'm lucky to fly enough for work to earn enough mileage and status for cheap upgrades.

Revenue upgrades are another way to get cheap upgrades, you can check on the AC app how many people are booked in each class when check-in opens 24h before departure. If economy classes are full or oversold and there's lots of room in business/first, revenue upgrades are offered at a much cheaper rate and worth not burning eupgrade or aeroplan miles. Also pays to book departure dates (ie Saturdays) where this happens most frequently. I had a revenue upgrade, 3 segments (2 segments with business class) from LGA to YQQ for $350. Nothing like having the pilot on the last regional flight segment carry your carryon bags for you even though there's no business class seating. :rofl:

That sounds pretty good haha. The only flights I have been offered meaningful upgrades on were a few times to Europe, Japan, and I think Hawaii. All the times I can remember were Air Canada and I would get an email just before the trip offering the pods for $2K+ per way + what you already paid. I don't fly enough to get any kinds of points or loyalty perks with the airlines. If it was ~$500 or so I would be upgrading every single time - you'd think the airlines would offer that once the plane is off the ground, so they make something instead of nothing from the business section that is often sparsely populated.

hurrdurr
03-15-2018, 02:06 PM
I'm a large guy. Flew to Dubai in economy class from Seattle with Emirates. Was not uncomfortable whatsoever. I can't really justify the costs associated with flying business. I do however understand the value in particular situations. I don't have the bankroll to be able to pull that trigger.

Even for our Honeymoon we booked Premium Economy for the majority of the flights and some legs in Economy. We splurged on hotels but for flights we're just winging it.

killramos
03-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Had to fly economy in AC express to Nanaimo last week. No business class on the Q400 with ac . I’m a small guy and it was still painful.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2018, 02:16 PM
I find as long as my knees aren't touching the seat in front of me, or some morbidly obese person is beside me, I am OK. If you can avoid putting a bag under the seat in front of you, it's usually not too hard to stretch out a bit either, and you can always get up and walk around every 30 mins or so if you're cramping up. The 787's have a reclining method that doesn't encroach on your personal space as much either, and it's pretty easy to get on those planes for longer hauls. We took one to London, UK and I was worried by the seat pitch, but it was the most comfortable Economy flight I have ever had. Seats were fine, windows are huge, air is fresher, less dry, and the plane is way quieter than I am used to.

RX_EVOLV
03-15-2018, 02:38 PM
I have no issues flying long distance. I can watch 6 movies in a row. However I had the pleasure of flying in a JAL pod once and it was such a great experience. Wish the flight from Tokyo was longer!!

With that said, like most ppl here, I would love to fly pod but can't justify the cost. When we went to Europe last year I thought I would splurge for the upgrade at the airport as it was sort of a pre-wedding trip. But at $2500+ to upgrade just the 1 way (When we paid $900/pp round trip), we couldn't justify it and rather spend the money on food and booze for when we get to Spain/France.

One day I wish I can at least justify Premium Economy to HK.. but probably not.. I'm too cheap.

rage2
03-15-2018, 02:45 PM
I'm a large guy. Flew to Dubai in economy class from Seattle with Emirates. Was not uncomfortable whatsoever. I can't really justify the costs associated with flying business. I do however understand the value in particular situations. I don't have the bankroll to be able to pull that trigger.
Wait till you fly economy with Lufthansa, by far the most cramped experience known to man (I'm 6'2"). Last flight I flew with them on economy, the guy next to me had already sat down (no clue how he beat me as I had priority boarding) and had both his arms over both arm rests on either side. I mean, he wasn't doing it on purpose, it's just that the seats are that cramped and if you have any upper body width, it's game over. I needed to sleep, so what option do I have with his arm in 1/3 of my seat? I cuddled up to his arm. After 20 mins, I won the gay-off, and he found an empty seat elsewhere and moved. Bam, instant free upgrade for me. So yea, $500 to not play the gay-off game, I'm so there. Would've paid $1000 haha.

blitz
03-15-2018, 02:51 PM
You guys have some wealthy friends.

I'm just stoked I have a friend that has his own rototiller.

hurrdurr
03-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Wait till you fly economy with Lufthansa, by far the most cramped experience known to man (I'm 6'2"). Last flight I flew with them on economy, the guy next to me had already sat down (no clue how he beat me as I had priority boarding) and had both his arms over both arm rests on either side. I mean, he wasn't doing it on purpose, it's just that the seats are that cramped and if you have any upper body width, it's game over. I needed to sleep, so what option do I have with his arm in 1/3 of my seat? I cuddled up to his arm. After 20 mins, I won the gay-off, and he found an empty seat elsewhere and moved. Bam, instant free upgrade for me. So yea, $500 to not play the gay-off game, I'm so there. Would've paid $1000 haha.

AHHH. The aicraft Lufthansa uses for FRA-BLR's (assuming thats where you were going) economy class seats are 17.1" wide with a 31" pitch. Similar to Emirates (im 6'0 but much moar fatter than you). Was lucky to to be next to my tiny girlfriend and took her arm rest hahaha.

I never win a Gay-Off :( Maybe I'll have to up my game and bat my eyes on top of rubbing arms.

max_boost
03-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Wait till you fly economy with Lufthansa, by far the most cramped experience known to man (I'm 6'2"). Last flight I flew with them on economy, the guy next to me had already sat down (no clue how he beat me as I had priority boarding) and had both his arms over both arm rests on either side. I mean, he wasn't doing it on purpose, it's just that the seats are that cramped and if you have any upper body width, it's game over. I needed to sleep, so what option do I have with his arm in 1/3 of my seat? I cuddled up to his arm. After 20 mins, I won the gay-off, and he found an empty seat elsewhere and moved. Bam, instant free upgrade for me. So yea, $500 to not play the gay-off game, I'm so there. Would've paid $1000 haha. lol!!!!

And yes raj masta knows best, always. Change Ask Leo to Ask Raj and maybe as a team beyonders can take turns with contributions lol

rage2
03-15-2018, 03:30 PM

Had to document the gay-off win. Was going to selfie the actual gay-off but thought that would be inappropriate.

You can’t win em all. I lost this one. Guy was 1/2 way into my seat, and that one was premium economy I think? Cuddled with him for free. Felt so used. :(

Gainsbarre
03-15-2018, 06:49 PM
I fly in/out of YYC at least once a month and will be setting a new personal record for longest flight at the end of this month. Up to now the longest flight I've taken was San Francisco to Hong Kong, which clocked in at 14 and a half hours. The flight I will be on tops that by two and a half hours - a 17 hour flight from San Francisco to Singapore :barf:. I'd get a free upgrade to premium economy at least if I was flying with a Skyteam airline, but this flight will be with United as I was enticed by the low fares that they were offering to Singapore following the recent launch of their non-stop service to Singapore from SFO and LAX. Cheapest upgrade to business class for just one trans-pacific segment will cost more than 4 times what I paid for the entire roundtrip ticket, so I'm prepared to suffer (I think...) I just load up my iPad with videos to watch until I fall asleep...

KPHMPH
03-15-2018, 07:43 PM
And I paid $297CAD for a direct economy flight to London for May 6th

That money can be spent on so much more since it's a night flight anyways, will go to the doc get a couple xanax and sleep and be rested when i wake up in London @ 11am...

I guess it’s all comes down to personal preference.

It’s like driving a Kia or a Mercedes. They both do the exact same thing - get you from A to B but one “feels” better doing it.

A790
03-15-2018, 08:37 PM
I guess if I made "fuck you" money, then why not. But since I make "I'm fucked" money, cattle-class it is. Wife got laid off today. Premium economy? In my dreams!

killramos
03-15-2018, 08:59 PM
^ Sorry to hear that...

rage2
03-15-2018, 09:17 PM
I guess if I made "fuck you" money, then why not. But since I make "I'm fucked" money, cattle-class it is. Wife got laid off today. Premium economy? In my dreams!
Like to travel? Go apply for a job at AC. Star Alliance, fly literally anywhere around the world unlimited on standby business/first. Have full access to flight load data so you ensure you’re set for standby.

My brother MrX got a job at United in Chicago after he finished his degree, randomly shows up here for dinner, or on vacation somewhere just to hang out. Probably saw him more while he worked at United than when he lived here.

Sugarphreak
03-15-2018, 11:56 PM

Jlude
03-16-2018, 12:51 AM
I actually don't mind the 10+ hour flights, it's like anything, I just ignore that negatives and try to make the best of it by utilizing that time to get work done. I actually find that regardless of what time I board, I have a something to eat while I watch a movie, drink 6 or 7 glasses of wine and pass out. Flying business helps, although I actually don't like the pods really, I prefer Lufthansa business class, even though it's more open.

- - - Updated - - -

Like to travel? Go apply for a job at AC. Star Alliance, fly literally anywhere around the world unlimited on standby business/first. Have full access to flight load data so you ensure you’re set for standby.

My brother MrX got a job at United in Chicago after he finished his degree, randomly shows up here for dinner, or on vacation somewhere just to hang out. Probably saw him more while he worked at United than when he lived here.

Don't work for AC, that place is a black hole. I know a couple people who have worked there and they have all had bad things to say. That and they whole company are a bunch of motherless fucks.

benyl
03-16-2018, 01:00 AM
Business becomes even less compelling when you have kids. Haha, 4x business class ticket? That's a week at the Ritz Carlton.

Jlude
03-16-2018, 01:04 AM
Business becomes even less compelling when you have kids. Haha, 4x business class ticket? That's a week at the Ritz Carlton.

This is true. Damn kids are expensive.

rage2
03-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Yea, I've flown to Europe on business with the kids, not worth it. Tons of room sitting with kids in economy. Lift the armrests and you have tons of room anyways.

jwslam
03-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Had to fly economy in AC express to Nanaimo last week. No business class on the Q400 with ac . I’m a small guy and it was still painful.
Imagine having to fly in fly out weekly on those. And I'm a big guy, but only average sized compared to site folk

Back on topic: I'm on A790's boat of making "I'm fucked" money and riding with the sardines.

killramos
03-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Anyone else remember when dash 8’s were only 3 seats across...

msommers
03-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Never flown business class as much as I'd like to do it. The extra expense is just nuts to me. Like ~$3,000 for a pod to London or $800-ish for economy. $2000 is a lot of food and activity wherever you are (minus Vegas strip club). But if you prefer it and have the means, then giver.

Normally I get a window seat and pass out for the most part.

ExtraSlow
03-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Also have never had anything but cattle class. Well aside from a few trips to OKC on the corporate jet. That's pretty nice. Shaves a lot of time off flying commercial.

austic
03-16-2018, 09:13 AM
I love flying for work, lounge access and business class. For personal travel my values don't allow me to buy it but my lounge access for the year is paid through work so I just have a few more drinks in the lounge and normally splurge for economy plus.

long flights I normally work on the wifi or catch up on reading or the newest movie so I actually enjoy the time. Now connections and the airport in general I cant say I enjoy. Connecting in LA is by far the bane of my existence.

hurrdurr
03-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Yea, I've flown to Europe on business with the kids, not worth it. Tons of room sitting with kids in economy. Lift the armrests and you have tons of room anyways.

As awful as I feel saying this - the only upside of travelling with my child is putting up his arm rest and using his space. :love:

benyl
03-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Going to Japan soon. Not looking forward to the 10 hour flight or what ever it is. Was searching for things and saw an article about John Legend and his wife getting turned around from a flight from LA to Tokyo. People were ripping into Chrissy Tiegen about her bitching and saying that she is rich enough to fly private. Her retort was that a private flight from LA to Tokyo is $300K USD. That is fuck you money. They don't have that kind of fuck you money. I knew private jets were expensive, but not that expensive.

We've only flown business on points. That was before kids. Now we need points for 4 tickets. Business is hard to achieve. haha.

msommers
03-16-2018, 10:04 AM
If they don't have that kind of fuck you money, must just be the Oprah's of the world.

300K for 10 hours? Damn...

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Going to Japan soon. Not looking forward to the 10 hour flight or what ever it is. Was searching for things and saw an article about John Legend and his wife getting turned around from a flight from LA to Tokyo. People were ripping into Chrissy Tiegen about her bitching and saying that she is rich enough to fly private. Her retort was that a private flight from LA to Tokyo is $300K USD. That is fuck you money. They don't have that kind of fuck you money. I knew private jets were expensive, but not that expensive.

We've only flown business on points. That was before kids. Now we need points for 4 tickets. Business is hard to achieve. haha.

I was curious, and I found private flights from LA to Tokyo for $108,000 Euro / $136,000 USD. So for the two of them I guess it would be around $300K, that is insane.

Our flights were 10h55m to Japan and about 9h00m back home with a good wind.

hurrdurr
03-16-2018, 10:11 AM

I have had requests from people to look into chartering an aircraft for flights to Grande Prairie because the flight pricing was too high (last minute pricing was around $1000RT)

Needless to say $30,000 for 10 people to Grande Prairie for a day was a tad more than flying commercial :poosie:

I was curious, and I found private flights from LA to Tokyo for $108,000 Euro / $136,000 USD. So for the two of them I guess it would be around $300K, that is insane.

Our flights were 10h55m to Japan and about 9h00m back home with a good wind.

Most of these movie stars that fly private are being sponsored by some one or some thing. Either that or they know someone who has a private jet and pilot on retainer and get something heavily discounted in exchange for some sort of social media shout out or coverage

killramos
03-16-2018, 10:18 AM
It remember 6 or 7 years ago it used to be cost competitive to charter private to peace river rather than fly caribou north if you could fill the plane. Not a jet though.

Needless to say we filled the plane lol.

GP at least you can fly normal commercial jets though.

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Most of these movie stars that fly private are being sponsored by some one or some thing. Either that or they know someone who has a private jet and pilot on retainer and get something heavily discounted in exchange for some sort of social media shout out or coverage

I wonder if you own your own plane and/or have a timeshare plane, if that cost gets a lot smaller. Assuming it's several thousand an hour to fly, plus however jet fuel and the pilot's time factors into that, I have a hard time seeing how you get to $300K.

Also to correct my previous post, that $136K USD seemed to be for the use of the plane, and was not affected by passengers, but it was probably one-way, so a round trip might still be around that $300K mark.

A commercial airliner taking 200 people to Japan is only making about $60-80K per way from ticket sales, and I imagine their pilot, fuel, and maintenance costs are way higher than private.

shakalaka
03-16-2018, 12:11 PM
I flew from Edmonton to High Level for a case on one of those obscure 18 seater airplanes that are loud AF and the return ticket for that was $1250.

I flew to Miami in the busy season return for $1200 at one point.

If I was paying for the High Level ticket out of my packet, there's not way in hell I would have done that. lol

taemo
03-16-2018, 12:43 PM
As awful as I feel saying this - the only upside of travelling with my child is putting up his arm rest and using his space. :love:

Another benefit with having kids that I'm looking forward to utilize soon is priority boarding, when the pregnant wife and I traveled in Asia, we made sure to use this excuse.

Longest flight I've done is also San Francisco to Hong Kong with the older UA plane (no USB, no entertainment screen on each seats) so 14 hour was brutal.

Only time I got bumped to 1st class was to Vancouver (pointless) and Montreal to Calgary (meh)

I don't see the value for a luxurious 10+ hour flight when I could use that amount for a nicer hotel at our destination.

If it was business, maybe not a problem but considering that our execs travel economy to the East for work, it would look bad if their subordinates fly 1st class :rofl:

killramos
03-16-2018, 12:50 PM
I think one aspect many are missing is relative amounts of free time. If your trips are sparse then it’s easier to justify the extra couple of bucks to fly in comfort.

I went on one trip for a long weekend weekend to SF last year. And yea I splurged for business.

Year before that one trip to Jamaica for my honeymoon. Again bumped up to business.

Plenty was also spent at each destination, but if you only have time for one trip a year then go in style.

If I went on regular trips to Asia or had to cart spawn everywhere or something I probably would sing a different tune.

blitz
03-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Another benefit with having kids that I'm looking forward to utilize soon is priority boarding, when the pregnant wife and I traveled in Asia, we made sure to use this excuse.

Eventually we realized that pre-boarding just means you spend more time on the airplane with children. Now we're the last ones on the plane. Just stroll on, sit down, and take off.

msommers
03-16-2018, 12:59 PM
^^This is for anyone! I'm usually the last person to get on the plane

taemo
03-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Eventually we realized that pre-boarding just means you spend more time on the airplane with children. Now we're the last ones on the plane. Just stroll on, sit down, and take off.

I can see that becoming a problem.

We just prefer boarding earlier as we travel with carry-on only so we don't want to run out of spot.
Perhaps with the baby we'll have to check-in now.

hurrdurr
03-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Longest flight I've done is also San Francisco to Hong Kong with the older UA plane (no USB, no entertainment screen on each seats) so 14 hour was brutal.

Only time I got bumped to 1st class was to Vancouver (pointless) and Montreal to Calgary (meh)

I don't see the value for a luxurious 10+ hour flight when I could use that amount for a nicer hotel at our destination.

If it was business, maybe not a problem but considering that our execs travel economy to the East for work, it would look bad if their subordinates fly 1st class :rofl:

We just prefer boarding earlier as we travel with carry-on only so we don't want to run out of spot.

Unless i'm carrying on a large bag I normally try to board later on (if i'm in economy). No sense being uncomfortable longer than necessary

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Every time I fly, it seems like the entire pane tries to pre-board :rofl: I've never understood it. As soon as ANY announcement is made, all 200 people or whatever go to line up. Then the airline announces boarding by zone, and still nobody moves from the giant line they formed, further confused by why they aren't allowed on the plane immediately.

msommers
03-16-2018, 02:27 PM
I always like to have faith in the public that they're an intellectual bunch.

Then I watch a situation as Mitsu describes (like every God damn time!) and most of that faith evaporates before I get on the plane :rofl: Must be the urge to "be first" or something.

killramos
03-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Well if it’s united... I would be worried about someone trying to take my seat!

Super_Geo
03-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Used to fly quite a bit, most important thing on any flight: Bose Quietcomfort active noise cancelling headphones. I had a long flight once, realized I left my QC35 at home, bought another one at the airport and sold my old forgotten pair when I got back on kijiji... they're that good. You can watch movies, listen to music, etc and the drone of the plane engines is completely cancelled out.

RBC Visa Infinite Privilege credit card gets you 6 business class lounge visits per year, and works out to around 3% cashback if you use the points wisely.

When flying for pleasure and not business, look at upgrading at the gate. Usually cheaper than buying business class outright, sometimes by quite a bit.

Also: www.skiplagged.com for short haul flights... I never book a flight without first checking skiplagged.

rage2
03-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Then I watch a situation as Mitsu describes (like every God damn time!) and most of that faith evaporates before I get on the plane :rofl: Must be the urge to "be first" or something.
Those people line up because of lack of overhead storage space. If you look at the lineup, it's always people with a ton of carry-on. Checked bags cost money these days, so everyone is maxing out their carry on allowance and fucking up storage completely.

I used to be in that lineup because I'm all about a single backpack for carry on for all my trips, way too big of a PITA from delayed luggage on work trips. Boarding last, there would be no room for my backpack in the overheads, and have to go under my seat. Can't afford losing that legroom. Priority boarding is my favorite perk because of this.

jacky4566
03-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Long trip tips.

Always check your seats on seatguru.com

And bring ACTIVE noise cancelling headphones/ earbuds

blitz
03-16-2018, 03:52 PM

We check bags and just take small carry bags now. If there's no overhead space we put them under the kids seats since they don't need the legroom. Under 2 they don't have their own seat so it doesn't quite work like that and we per-boarded more often then.

cyra1ax
03-16-2018, 08:43 PM
Long trip tips.

Always check your seats on seatguru.com

And bring ACTIVE noise cancelling headphones/ earbuds

This is one of the best replies in this thread so far.
I love Seatguru just because it has notes for basically every aircraft type on every airline and tells you what to expect. Even color codes based on the "good" seats and "bad" seats.

For long hauls I typically try to book the exit row, usually costs me like $120ish but the legroom is well worth it IMO. Failing that I'll book a seat somewhere near the rear of the aircraft so I can exploit the zone boarding system to get that sweet, sweet overhead bin space. Fortunately for my trip to Singapore next month I had enough points for business so I don't have to slog through cattle class:poosie:

tonytiger55
03-18-2018, 10:39 AM
My flight to Hong Kong was 14 hours and the plane did not have any TV's. I was about to cry....
Then the hostesses came around handing out Samsung tablets loaded with movies... I was saved...

Swank
03-20-2018, 12:04 PM
I'm so jealous of all you who can sleep on a plane, I can't sleep sitting up for more than a few mins/hour no matter how wiped I am.

max_boost
03-20-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm so jealous of all you who can sleep on a plane, I can't sleep sitting up for more than a few mins/hour no matter how wiped I am.

Those little blue sleeping pills from the doctor are fkn amazing

TomcoPDR
03-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Those little blue pills from the doctor are fkn amazing

Wrong thread max_boost? Did you mean to post in the camping with college gfssss thread?

rage2
03-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Those little blue sleeping pills from the doctor are fkn amazing
Those aren't sleeping pills. :bigpimp:

Mibz
03-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Those aren't sleeping pills. :bigpimp:

I dunno, I'm sure they make his GF fall asleep.

rage2
03-20-2018, 01:04 PM
I dunno, I'm sure they make his GF fall asleep.