PDA

View Full Version : Buying car unseen.. Tips?

adam c
03-24-2018, 10:11 AM
I'm looking at some cars in cities outside Alberta and found a couple I like, I know many beyonders have done similar so I'm wondering what the best approach and any tips to doing this. Pictures are one thing but any other suggestions?

schocker
03-24-2018, 10:41 AM
I'm looking at some cars in cities outside Alberta and found a couple I like, I know many beyonders have done similar so I'm wondering what the best approach and any tips to doing this. Pictures are one thing but any other suggestions?
Get it inspected somewhere, likely a brand dealer.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-24-2018, 11:25 AM
I often make deals to buy trucks unseen and when I show up to collect them, there’s more often than not unmentioned damage. Your best bet is to try and get someone to do a FaceTime detailed walk around or something so you don’t waste your time.

craigcd
03-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Depending on the vehicle you are looking at I have sent cars for a mechanical and even to a body shop to have a complete one over. Always been worth it.

heavyD
03-25-2018, 09:25 AM
Depending on how far the car is and how much money we are talking about you should have the car taken to a shop of your choice for an inspection. Even at that if we are taking about a $20k+ investment I would fly to pick it up if you are anal about small things. I've seen a lot of cars described as "mint" with door dings and mediocre paint/interior.

adam c
03-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys, deal ended up falling through but I'll keep these in mind

For future, anyone have any mechanic recommendations in the Vancouver area?

Team_Mclaren
03-26-2018, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys, deal ended up falling through but I'll keep these in mind

For future, anyone have any mechanic recommendations in the Vancouver area?

I usually just get a brand dealer like someone has mentioned. Tell the service advisor that you want an inspection and anything that needs to be done record it and you'll "likely" do it with them. that way the SA would tell you everything under the moon that needs to be done with the car. Of course, to have them fixed or not its up to you at the end.

Mitsu3000gt
03-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Is it a high dollar value car? If it was more than $5K or so I'd be flying out there for ~$350 to look at it myself. Worst case scenario if the car is a POS you save yourself a headache or from being scammed, and get a mini vacation. Most people misrepresent used cars in at least some way, or their definitions of "excellent condition" are completely outrageous. Also if you get someone to look at it, make sure they have the same definitions as you.

I bought a car from the USA before sight unseen, I had an inspection done at a local OEM dealer and I was lucky enough to know someone in the state to look at it for me and take dozens of detailed photos. My only issue was actually with the shipping company, who wrecked the front bumper loading the car at the origin, then tried to deny it when I received the car even though we already had photos of them doing the damage.