PDA

View Full Version : P.Eng CPD hours requirement - What to do if not in industry?

Hero_X
03-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Hey everyone,

So I got an email from APEGA about submitting CPD hours on their site. Problem is, I got my P.Eng in 2015 and I was laid off like 2 months before getting it. And since then, i haven't worked in Engg industry. I took a look at all the info that APEGA has about CPD, and it seems like 60% comes from practicing.

I have taken some online courses to help with CPD hours but there's no way I can achieve their required 240 hours over the 3yr period.

I know it's my mistake for not keeping on top of this, but I've had enough things on my plate so the CPD hours stuff slipped my mind. What can I do?

As I understand it, I can submit "not practicing" status, but what happens if/when I get a job? Do they immediately re-instate you? or are you required to redo the whole P.Eng application process?

Please help guys, thank you for your help.

diamondedge
03-26-2018, 04:55 PM
There is a form for special consideration for a reduction in PD hours, they'll review it and you can justify why you don't have enough hours. I was also concerned
about this but I ended up having just enough hours by carrying them over (I did a decent job documenting it)

https://www.apega.ca/members/cpd/

Near the bottom. In your case I would probably look to talk to them, because I imagine you don't get re-instated right away, rather, they'd probably ask for your employer,
your duties, etc

ExtraSlow
03-26-2018, 07:21 PM
If you can't find anything on the website absolutely talk to them. They run a secret program to reduce dues for multiple years in case of unemployment, which isn't mentioned on the website.

Overall, fuck apega.

speedog
03-26-2018, 07:27 PM
If you can't find anything on the website absolutely talk to them. They run a secret program to reduce dues for multiple years in case of unemployment, which isn't mentioned on the website.

Overall, fuck apega.

ES, you are a wealth of information - hopefully you get gainful employment soon.

ExtraSlow
03-26-2018, 07:37 PM
And handsome too

Hero_X
03-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm gonna call them and hopefully they can let me get away with low hours...
ExtraSlow - Totally agree with you. Fck APEGA. :thumbsdow