PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Audi S4 - thoughts

shakalaka
03-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Just wondering what are the thoughts on this generation of S4 in terms of reliability, driving fun etc.

I've been thinking of getting rid of my motorcycle and picking up something fun without have to put too much $ on top. Also, I wouldn't mind a good, daily, reliable, beater car when driving longer distances for circuit courts so I don't put too much mileage on the main car. Came across a 2004 S4 that maybe a potential trade option. Also, what are they worth like, so I know what trade in value the seller is putting it at is reasonable.

This isn't a done deal by any means but I just thought I'd do some research to see if it's even worth looking into.

This is the one I am looking at specifically;

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2004-audi-s4-recaro-seats-trade-for-truck-or-harley/1342750725?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

G-ZUS
03-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Run...

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510

killramos
03-27-2018, 12:53 PM
14 year old performance Audi and Reliability in the same sentence?

Disoblige
03-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Buy it, and sell it to me for cheap in a couple weeks :D ;)

Tik-Tok
03-27-2018, 01:29 PM
If you've got an extra $10g kicking around not doing anything, then put it aside for the next 2 years of maintenance on that thing.

Doesn't matter how much previous owner spent. There's always more on those.

shakalaka
03-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Damn really eh? The last thing I wanna worry about it is dropping more $ for no reason. I am just bored of the bike and rarely ride it, figured might as well replace it with another toy but not if it's going to be more hassle than fun.

Also did some research on Kijijiji, this seller seems to think his car is worth $15K on trade and I see newer and lower mileage S4's listed for $13K so that's also another factor.

Any other fun car/truck suggestions that I can be looking at to get rid of the bike for? I wouldn't mind a Jeep Wrangler but all the people I've messaged so far don't want to trade.

T-Dubbs
03-27-2018, 01:42 PM
they are not that exciting to drive.. i owned one for two weeks and got rid of it because i was bored out of my mind.....

dirtsniffer
03-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Wranglers are exciting in that, it's exciting to be so scared of the thing blowing up while driving down the highway.

realazy
03-27-2018, 02:53 PM
$15k on trade? haha that's hilarious.

A friend of mine got lowballed like shit at BMW. He got offered $4,000 for a 2005 nogaro blue S4 avant with around 140k km last year.

I'm sad that he took that shit offer though, but he really didn't care that much about the money, just wanted to get rid of it without hassle.

Disoblige
03-27-2018, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't mind a Jeep Wrangler but all the people I've messaged so far don't want to trade.
Sell your bike for $, and buy my Jeep haha.
Not sure if it's right for you, but if you want something different and very little maintenance, the Jeep is pretty cool! Manual everything ftw :)

BavarianBeast
03-27-2018, 03:40 PM
I had a hell of a time with my 06 S4. I picked up mine for $18k back in 2009, $15k for an 05 is crazy. I wouldn’t spend more than $8 on it. If it hasn’t been maintained properly, expect to spend a lot more on it.

The B5 S4s (1999-2002) are way more enjoyable to drive and they are much more tuneable if you really want an S4. I’ve owned both and would choose the B5 over the B6/B7 any day, lots of fun to rip around on ghost during the winter and could make a decent summer track car too.

NissanFanBoy
03-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Wow, $15g for a V8 that's known to disintegrate randomly... And an 2004 to boot, major engine problems on top on the usual Audi "quirks" lol... Performance wise by today's standards isn't even that great. Have you considered my G37X for sale? :)... It's not auto though, and I'm also flexible on price, my $10,500 value is just to weed out low ballers.

On a side note, how's reliability on the newer S4s with the twin turbo V6?

T-Dubbs
03-27-2018, 04:19 PM
New ones are single turbo v6 then previous gen was a s/c v6

the last twin turbo V6 was in 2001/2002

shakalaka
03-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Sell your bike for $, and buy my Jeep haha.
Not sure if it's right for you, but if you want something different and very little maintenance, the Jeep is pretty cool! Manual everything ftw :)

Haha. I guess if I have to go down that path then it'll be an option but it's a pain selling privately no matter what it is. You know the option of swapping is always there and I am sure it'll be easier for you to sell the bike than the Jeep! haha.

Wow, $15g for a V8 that's known to disintegrate randomly... And an 2004 to boot, major engine problems on top on the usual Audi "quirks" lol... Performance wise by today's standards isn't even that great. Have you considered my G37X for sale? :)... It's not auto though, and I'm also flexible on price, my $10,500 value is just to weed out low ballers.

I actually prefer manuals. That being said, as I stated above, I am mostly looking to swap my bike for something and add cash if needed. If that's something you're potentially interested in then drop me a PM and we can go from there.

ExtraSlow
03-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Have about for a Honda fit? Savage power and thrilling handling. Two sets of tires and I'll put in a new windshield.

shakalaka
03-28-2018, 07:42 AM
Have about for a Honda fit? Savage power and thrilling handling. Two sets of tires and I'll put in a new windshield.

Thanks for the offer man but I sincerely doubt that that car would keep me entertained for any amount of time.

ExtraSlow
03-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the offer man but I sincerely doubt that that car would keep me entertained for any amount of time.

Yeah but nothing does, so that's a wash.....

never
03-28-2018, 09:16 AM

Yet you're considering a Wrangler?? :dunno:

shakalaka
03-28-2018, 09:19 AM
Yeah but nothing does, so that's a wash.....

Lol touché.

Yet you're considering a Wrangler?? :dunno:

Well with wranglers I’ve always had that fascination of having one a little lifted, big tires and top open in the summer. I am sure driving wise it’s nothing great.

Mitsu3000gt
03-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Damn really eh? The last thing I wanna worry about it is dropping more $ for no reason.

No, not really. I owned my 2 S4's over a span of about 10-11 years. Total maintenance cost over all that time was whatever I spent on oil and anything scheduled from the manufacturer. I daily drove them year-round.

Had my 2006 S4 for ~6 years. Absolutely zero problems, it was as reliable as my Civics and for an even longer period of ownerwhip.

My 2000 S4 (APR Chip) was faster, but the 06' was a better car in every other way, and it sounded much better. That car was chipped from day one and had zero problems outside routine maintenance for ~130,000km when I sold it.

Some of the earlier cars have known problems that can be taken care of with a few minutes of DYI maintenance and cheap parts.

The maintenance/repair costs are often grossly exaggerated with these cars, and very much depends on how they have been cared for. You always just hear from the people who have had issues, and like any car you will always have people who have had a horrible experience. If you look around you will find plenty of people with 100,000+ miles on these cars with no issues. If the car has been beat on its whole life, obviously it is more likely to have problems. You can also get unlucky or a lemon, just like any other car. If the car has good maintenance history and the owner looks like the car is his baby, I wouldn't think twice about buying an older S4. If the car looks like it's been beat on it's whole life, it will probably be a nightmare to own like any other vehicle with a rough history. If you do have a problem, service is honest & reasonably priced at Tune Dub. Get it over to Tune Dub for an inspection before you make a decision.

I wouldn't buy any car that had really high KM, the same goes for an S4.

Mitsu3000gt
03-28-2018, 09:36 AM

If you believe Consumer Reports, the newer Audi's are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-driving/which-car-brands-make-the-best-vehicles-2018/?EXTKEY=NC0P01803&utm_source=acxiom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180323_nsltr_cars

The (single) turbo S4/S5 has only been out for 2 years, there isn't much to know about it's reliability. They did switch from a DSG to an 8-speed auto that I think most people would believe was a DSG if they didn't know better.

gretz
03-28-2018, 09:38 AM
I've got a 2007 a4 2.0 turbo with 140000kms, 6 speed for sale... I would let it go cheap enough that you could put some S4 badges / wheels on it to pretend it is an S4 lol

HiTempguy1
03-28-2018, 10:05 AM
No, not really.

Yes, yes really. Both have EXTREMELY well documented issues, its not "overblown internet hype". Its reality.

The twin-turbo Audi's are a nightmare to work on, and the turbos WILL go, not might. Not as big of a problem as the V8's though.

And the V8 S4 needs to have the timing chain done, which requires pulling the motor. Again, its not an "if", its a when, and you are playing with fire if you don't deal with it sooner rather than later.

It makes WAY more sense to buy a RS4 of the same vintage. $25-30k for a car that holds its value and is awesome to drive. And no worries of a sudden $10k bill for a car worth about $10k.