PDA

View Full Version : Raising my garage door- garage door advice

craigcd
03-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone has experience with raising their garage door entry height. Currently my garage door is the standard height, I believe that is 7 feet and would like to increase it by a foot to 8. I know when I built my detached garage years ago at another house it was super cheap to go from a 7 to an 8 footer but anything after that was pretty expensive.

I know it can be done framing wise but my bigger concern is the garage door itself. The house is new so I would like to just add a panel if possible? If it comes down to replacing the entire door its likely not worth the hassle.

Has anybody done this or know if it is possible?

Thanks
Craig

AndyL
03-28-2018, 07:00 AM
8' doors are 5-18" panels or 4-24" panels. Nobody makes a 12" panel to add that foot, so you are talking a whole new door

ExtraSlow
03-28-2018, 07:17 AM
On most garages, it's not a trivial thing to completely re-frame the door either. You can't just cut everything out, as you need to support the load of the roof while you are working.

craigcd
03-28-2018, 08:45 PM
8' doors are 5-18" panels or 4-24" panels. Nobody makes a 12" panel to add that foot, so you are talking a whole new door

Exactly the answer I was looking for, appreciate the reply! Likely turns it into a 1500$ job so not worth it unfortunately!

- - - Updated - - -

On most garages, it's not a trivial thing to completely re-frame the door either. You can't just cut everything out, as you need to support the load of the roof while you are working.

Ya I have built several garages, not trivial but not complicated either!

ExtraSlow
03-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Ya I have built several garages, not trivial but not complicated either!Well in that case you know 10x more than me, go nuts. Would just hate someone to get in over their head, but sounds like you have this cased out pretty good.

craigcd
03-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Well in that case you know 10x more than me, go nuts. Would just hate someone to get in over their head, but sounds like you have this cased out pretty good.

Well if I didnt have to replace the door you could have come to help. Its definitely a cheap beer included type of job haha

ExtraSlow
03-29-2018, 07:02 AM
I can come over and act like a know-it-all, anytime.

AndyL
03-29-2018, 08:08 AM
I'll come too! I can act like a know-it-all too!

ExtraSlow
03-29-2018, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a party.

EK 2.0
03-29-2018, 08:26 AM

But, but, but you are a know-it-all when it comes to Garage Doors.....

gretz
03-29-2018, 08:33 AM

Can I borrow you to help me drink a cold one and install a 9' opening height package? Mostly I just want to chill and say words like package.

What's you schedule like little fella

AndyL
03-29-2018, 09:37 AM
But, but, but you are a know-it-all when it comes to Garage Doors.....

Well at least someone thinks so ;)

craigcd
03-29-2018, 02:00 PM

Sorry ExtraSlow but if AndyL is coming I might have to buy premium beer! I know this guys a door pro! Haha

Anyway, not happening unless I can find someone who is interested in buying my current door for a half decent price. Its only 6 months old and has a faux wood finish, actually looks awesome. Andy if you have any contacts in the bus. feel free to PM me ;)

AndyL
03-29-2018, 06:21 PM
AGD is premium! Its way better than lucky

ExtraSlow
03-29-2018, 06:56 PM
AGD is premium! Its way better than lucky

eblend
03-31-2018, 10:28 AM
I made my garage door 8 feet tall completely by mistake haha. Ordered the garage package, built the whole garage.....and forgot to account for a 1 foot high pony wall, so my door opening was 8" for a 7" door. Luckily they do make 8 foot doors and I just ordered a fancier door anyways, with some windows in the top panel to boot :) Best mistake ever! The garage door is so close to the ceiling when opened, that a standard garage door opener wouldn't even work, so had to get a sweet side mount, double bonus!

Sorry doesn't help you, just throwing out a story out there.

G
03-31-2018, 09:33 PM
I made my garage door 8 feet tall completely by mistake haha. Ordered the garage package, built the whole garage.....and forgot to account for a 1 foot high pony wall, so my door opening was 8" for a 7" door. Luckily they do make 8 foot doors and I just ordered a fancier door anyways, with some windows in the top panel to boot :) Best mistake ever! The garage door is so close to the ceiling when opened, that a standard garage door opener wouldn't even work, so had to get a sweet side mount, double bonus!

Sorry doesn't help you, just throwing out a story out there.

Every reply you make just confirms you are absolutely amazing at living life.

eblend
04-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Every reply you make just confirms you are absolutely amazing at living life.

Haha I wish. The end result is great, the stress when i figured out i was a freaking idiot was not fun at all. Had to haul an 18" door on top of my dad's van to return the old door and pickup the new, and I think it was close to 1k more to get the windowed 8" door, money I didn't really have at the moment.