PDA

View Full Version : Turnkey Enterprise Solutions

ercchry
03-28-2018, 12:50 PM
So im trying to put together a website, have a WP site half built. Not really happy with the plugins and how quickly the addons add up for the pieces i need (and still not really happy with the final product). Started playing around with Zoho, but a little too simplistic on the website side of things (their template file structure also doesnt work with WP templates, i've also already bought an x template license). Also the packages really start to add up when you need projects, mail, etc, etc

what to do? Other options? would like the monthly costs to be as low as possible. would prefer to just pay for cheap hosting and a domain, maybe gsuite for mail and cloud workspace

what i want?

a customer portal, where clients can create an account, fill in an app, track progress (with automated email updates), upload docs, and also manage referrals (affiliate links). would like this to be well organized. right now i have to search my inbox and find all the random docs that are sent all willynilly, sometimes from multiple people. things get lost very easily

then just basic website; with company info, etc. maybe a blog that just pulls industry news and reposts. Good SEO, and lead generating (google ads, FB, insta, etc) would like to use an automated lead scrubber too, so being able to automatically integrate that would be good.

ExtraSlow
03-28-2018, 01:15 PM
I know almost nothing about websites, but with WordPress can't you / shouldn't you be able to get snappy performance even with plugins through a combination of decent hosting (like site ground) and a CDN like cloud flare?

Hope fully someone more knowledgeable can chime in soon.

ercchry
03-28-2018, 01:28 PM
its a functionality issue, not a performance problem. I'd say the WP stuff is about 70% there and zoho is about 80%

A790
03-28-2018, 02:16 PM
I'd do a WordPress site with custom integration for the customer portal.

Also, you shouldn't be the one building this. Pay the $2k or so to have someone build it for you.

ercchry
03-28-2018, 02:28 PM

Also, you shouldn't be the one building this. Pay the $2k or so to have someone build it for you.

you're too busy for my problems! I can figure it out, just a lot has changed in the last 10 years since the last time i did any web stuff

A790
03-28-2018, 04:18 PM
you're too busy for my problems! I can figure it out, just a lot has changed in the last 10 years since the last time i did any web stuff
Trust me mate, you want a pro to do this. You're just going to wind up having to do it again.

The user portal is a project in itself. You can probably hack something together using a script like Magic Members, but by the time you're done, it won't look as good as it could and you'll have spent far more time involved than what $2k costs.

ercchry
03-28-2018, 04:37 PM
There are lots of portals out there.. it’s just difficult finding one that has the integration that I want without actually installing them, screwing around with the addons and demos then finding out it’s missing a piece... or that it’s all of a sudden $200/month for everything I need. WP-client looks promising... but difficult to say how it works unless I buy the 1 url license then the $200 project management addon! The “demo video” only does so much

Just need a simple “this plugin plus this plugin will get you where you need to be” suggestion or “this company has a package that will handle everything you need and can be customized to the point you need for $xxx/yr”. Not “pay someone money, then keep paying them, cause they are now admin for your site and you need them to make all changes forever... oh and if they did a shit job, you might not ever get the changes done that you want, cause you can’t even login to the backend”

UndrgroundRider
04-08-2018, 02:25 AM
I know almost nothing about websites, but with WordPress can't you / shouldn't you be able to get snappy performance even with plugins through a combination of decent hosting (like site ground) and a CDN like cloud flare?

Hope fully someone more knowledgeable can chime in soon.

CDN's are somewhat tricky for low-traffic sites. The edge servers only store a cache copy of your content for a short period of time. This applies per region, depending on how the CDN is structured. So unless someone has accessed the site from the same region within the given cache expiry window, it will cause a request to the origin servers anyway (with the added latency of having to route through your CDN).

CompletelyNumb
04-08-2018, 07:53 PM

This.