PDA

View Full Version : Turban = No Helmet in AB.

16hypen3sp
03-29-2018, 04:31 PM
As DosOchos said on reddit: Different laws for different people.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-turban-wearing-sikhs-motorcycles-without-helmet-b-c-manitoba-1.4599573

FraserB
03-29-2018, 04:45 PM
It’s 2018 though, so making decisions that curry favour with a potential voter base are better than those based on science.

That’s and it’s part of equality and diversity.

dirtsniffer
03-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Curry. Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Won't somebody please think of the pastafarians.

infamous
03-29-2018, 05:08 PM
It’s 2018 though, so making decisions that curry favour with a potential voter base are better than those based on science.

I lol'd pretty good. Nice one!

Honestly though how many will go splat before they decide that helmets are a good idea?

max_boost
03-29-2018, 05:11 PM

NIce

A790
03-29-2018, 05:19 PM
I lol'd pretty good. Nice one!

Honestly though how many will go splat before they decide that helmets are a good idea?

The people that don't want to wear a helmet won't; they're undoubtedly aware of the risks of such stupidity. It's like asking "how many people need to get cancer before smokers get the hint?"

infamous
03-29-2018, 05:27 PM

The people that don't want to wear a helmet won't; they're undoubtedly aware of the risks of such stupidity. It's like asking "how many people need to get cancer before smokers get the hint?"

yes but not every smoker gets cancer. any crash on a bike whether it be 20km/hr or 100km/hr it's still going to do damage to the skull. why do you think helmets have become so prevalent in any aspect of life that can cause head trauma? examples include skiing, biking, hockey, tobogganing, skateboarding. having ridden enough motorbikes, there is no chance in hell I would ever even consider riding without a helmet.

Sentry
03-29-2018, 05:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/LEN2sxN.png

dirtsniffer
03-29-2018, 05:56 PM
As long as they have to pay their own medical bills or we charge Sikhs significantly more for motorcycle licenses I give 0 fucks.

bjstare
03-29-2018, 06:22 PM
As long as they have to pay their own medical bills or we charge Sikhs significantly more for motorcycle licenses I give 0 fucks.

Exactly. More power to them (or anyone for that matter) if they want to ride without helmets, but I'll be damned if I'm ok paying for their astronomical medical bills when they are in a coma/brain damaged.

Buster
03-29-2018, 06:23 PM
isnt someone that dies in a motorcycle accident cheaper than someone who lives?

A790
03-29-2018, 06:30 PM
yes but not every smoker gets cancer. any crash on a bike whether it be 20km/hr or 100km/hr it's still going to do damage to the skull. why do you think helmets have become so prevalent in any aspect of life that can cause head trauma? examples include skiing, biking, hockey, tobogganing, skateboarding. having ridden enough motorbikes, there is no chance in hell I would ever even consider riding without a helmet.
Ok. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make.

Are you trying to convince me that a helmet is needed? If so, I agree with you. On the motorcycle sites I run, we promote ATGATT for a reason.

The point I was trying to make is that people getting hurt and/or dying is unlikely to change their stance re: helmets. They know the risk and they took it regardless, in the same way smokers do.

300havoc
03-29-2018, 07:56 PM
I ride ATGATT. I can't ride over 50 with my visor up because my eyes start to water and I can't see, even with sunglasses on. I can't wrap my head around the people that ride around in shorts/T-shirts/Flipflops without any real body protection but all the power to them. The amount of rocks that I have taken to the shins/visor/jacket in this city is reason enough that I would never ride without the gear. If someone is riding without care to their own personal safety, why would I believe that they care about the safety of others that they have to share the road with? If someone riding with no gear gets injured, I really don't feel bad for them.

It's surprising that BC has had this rule for a while. I don't think I ever saw anyone riding with a turban instead of a helmet while I lived there.

D'z Nutz
03-29-2018, 08:41 PM
If someone riding with no gear gets injured, I really don't feel bad for them.

This is pretty much how I feel about this. I could care less if anyone rides with or without a helmet. That's your decision and if it's a bad one, that's not my problem.

Kloubek
03-30-2018, 11:02 AM
This is pretty much how I feel about this. I could care less if anyone rides with or without a helmet. That's your decision and if it's a bad one, that's not my problem.

Its your problem when your tax dollars go towards their lifetime of treatment when they crack their skull open on the pavement.

I'm all for recognizing peoples right to be involved in whatever religion they choose, but when the customs of that religion start making a negative impact in MY life by circumventing the laws that were designed to protect ALL, that's a problem.

I do not support this.

Sugarphreak
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM

300havoc
03-30-2018, 11:50 AM
I don't really care that much if they do or don't, but I think it is important for people to know what kind of risks they are really taking

IMO things like helmets should be optional for anybody that is wiling to sit through a mandatory class on the dangers of not wearing them. If they accept the risk, then it is their life, so all the power to them. It shouldn't be exclusively a religious issue.

If I could not wear a helmet while casually bike riding on pathways I'd be all over that. I am an adult, I should be able to decide what is, or is not too risky for me.

I thought you could ride a bicycle without a helmet as an adult? Or did that change? Honestly I never wore a helmet bicycling unless I was messing around on my mountain bike.

Its your problem when your tax dollars go towards their lifetime of treatment when they crack their skull open on the pavement.

Our tax dollars already go towards the people that crash riding with T-shirts and shorts, or who get thrown out of their vehicles because they weren't wearing seatbelts.

e31
03-30-2018, 07:46 PM
I don't know how many sikh motorcyclists there are out there now (or will now take up the sport) but i'm pro motorcycle regardless. I personally wouldn't recommend riding around the NE (for obvious reasons) let alone riding without a helmet. I'll reserve judgement until the insurance statistics state a helmet-less rider near T&T parking lot has a 100% chance of life-changing injury, and alter premiums to match.

I find it intriguing how a special interest group with no significant numbers can get legislation passed in this NDP government, when so many other important issues are left to simmer.

Sugarphreak
03-30-2018, 08:19 PM

Buster
03-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Although if they don't die and just get horrible brain damage, it would be more costly

https://i.imgur.com/cQBb69A.jpg

Tej.S
03-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Such a dumb decision, I'm surprised it actually passed. It's unbelievable the things people are willing to fight for under the pretense of religion :rolleyes: These kind of rules should stay in India.

tonytiger55
03-31-2018, 12:20 AM
This is stupid. But meh..its perhaps a small group.
I recall my friends (years ago) take off thier turban and tieing up thier hair and just riding with a bigger/specfic helmets you can get.
The only thing I would add is if they want to ride without a helmet, then they have to be manditory organ donors.

EK 2.0
03-31-2018, 09:34 AM

THIS!!!!...

And I say this as a brown person...If they are footing their bills for any potential medical attention, and insurances then coolio!!...

But other than that....this new mandate is complete bullshit...

JRSC00LUDE
03-31-2018, 09:58 AM
It's catering to special interest groups and it's bullshit. The ONLY way I'd support this decision is if it's applied across the board and far higher premiums are levied by those who make the CHOICE to ride helmet free.

I saw a guy argue on spikerS fbook page that a turban has so much cloth it's more or less equal in protection as a helmet. Wtf?

This underscores my post in another thread that says the vocal few change society, often at a detriment to the whole.

Edit - also in before the "if you don't support this you're racist/why do you hate religious tolerance" crowd shows up. You can all go eat a dick or, whatever is contrary to your typical preference.

Kloubek
03-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Our tax dollars already go towards the people that crash riding with T-shirts and shorts, or who get thrown out of their vehicles because they weren't wearing seatbelts.

Yes... Although the former isn't against the law, so unless they mandated mandatory safety gear (which wouldn't be a bad idea) then its moot.

The latter is a far better example, though in that situation as well I would argue those who don't utilize law-required seatbelts also should forfeit their right to free treatment.

tirebob
03-31-2018, 11:05 AM
My only issue is that if one group isn't required, then nobody should be required. I couldn't care less if someone want to risk their melon while riding a bike. I am sure the average individual costs of each head trauma case will go up, but I wonder if the increased amount of deaths would balance that out.

Maxt
03-31-2018, 11:12 AM
I find it intriguing how a special interest group with no significant numbers can get legislation passed in this NDP government, when so many other important issues are left to simmer.
They are probably digging up anything the can that to try to rope the UCP into issues that have any racial or religious angles involved to start fueling the narrative that the UCP is a party of racists and hatemongers. The NDP probably doesn't agree with they themselves just did, its just bait on the hook...

Seth1968
03-31-2018, 11:44 AM
Allowing certain people to circumvent the law because they believe in an invisible man. It begins.

What a world.

killramos
03-31-2018, 11:45 AM
I am all for this is if I can decide it’s against my religion to pay taxes.

Seth1968
03-31-2018, 12:02 PM
They are probably digging up anything the can that to try to rope the UCP into issues that have any racial or religious angles involved to start fueling the narrative that the UCP is a party of racists and hatemongers. The NDP probably doesn't agree with they themselves just did, its just bait on the hook...

I suspect that the vast majority of Albertans are against this new law. If so, the NDP just further signed their own death wish.

Why would they do that?

Seth1968
03-31-2018, 12:36 PM
I am all for this is if I can decide it’s against my religion to pay taxes.

Given that taxes are mentioned many times in religions texts, your point has significantly more validity than this law.

I don't know of any religious texts that mention what to wear on your head when you ride a motorcycle.

revelations
03-31-2018, 01:02 PM
This happened a few years ago in BC - you cant allow one religious group an exemption and not another. Utterly idiotic.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pastafarian-fights-to-wear-spaghetti-strainer-for-id-photo-1.1960281

speedog
03-31-2018, 01:11 PM
I suspect that the vast majority of Albertans are against this new law. If so, the NDP just further signed their own death wish.

Why would they do that?

This will not be the demise of the NDP..

Seth1968
03-31-2018, 01:26 PM
This will not be the demise of the NDP..

Can you be less vague?

Maxt
03-31-2018, 01:47 PM

Why would they do that?
Why have they done any of the silliness, because NDP....

Seth1968
03-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Why have they done any of the silliness, because NDP....

I see your point, but I still don't understand how a political party could be this stupid. As in, really piss off the vast majority and lose significant votes, in order to gain so little votes. It doesn't seem to make any sense.

ExtraSlow
03-31-2018, 03:06 PM
I see your point, but I still don't understand how a political party could be this stupid. As in, really piss off the vast majority and lose significant votes, in order to gain so little votes. It doesn't seem to make any sense.

The percentage of voters that will consider this issue to be highly important in the election is vanishingly small.

born2workoncars
03-31-2018, 03:31 PM
I’m trying to find a way to spin this so that I can legally split lanes

Tik-Tok
03-31-2018, 03:57 PM
The percentage of voters that will consider this issue to be highly important in the election is vanishingly small.

Nope. This is it. Out of all the things the NDP have done. THIS is the one thing that will bring them down.

I’m trying to find a way to spin this so that I can legally split lanes

Step 1) Start your own religion
Step 2) Claim lane splitting is your religious right
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Profit

Maxt
03-31-2018, 04:09 PM

It's just a means of ignition, just wait and see what else comes out in the next year. The NDP drastic cuts campaign was a lead balloon, so now it'll be about issues around minority groups to try get that all important lake of fire type comment.

Seth1968
03-31-2018, 04:24 PM

That's the unfortunate part.

Nope. This is it. Out of all the things the NDP have done. THIS is the one thing that will bring them down.

Who said it was?

now it'll be about issues around minority groups to try get that all important lake of fire type comment.

I think you might be onto something there.

Seth1968
04-01-2018, 07:54 AM
How about they wear a thin, one layer turban under a helmet?

speedog
04-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Can you be less vague?

You stated that the NDP signed their own death wish with this new law, I'm saying this new law will not be the thing that will bring them down. Not sure how that is being so vague.

Seth1968
04-01-2018, 10:51 AM
You stated that the NDP signed their own death wish with this new law.

No I didn't.

I said:

Note that they also released this backwards new law right before a major long weekend. Even so, just on the Global and Calgary Herald site, there are hundreds of comments and all are vehemently opposed to this law.

speedog
04-01-2018, 11:03 AM
No I didn't.

I said:

Note that they also released this backwards new law right before a major long weekend. Even so, just on the Global and Calgary Herald site, there are hundreds of comments and all are vehemently opposed to this law.

Semantics, it will not be the thing that'll bring down the NDP.

Seth1968
04-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Semantics, it will not be the thing that'll bring down the NDP.

Semantics lol.

Why don't you just admit you misread my post?

speedog
04-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Semantics lol.

Why don't you just admit you misread my post?

I did misread it but I still disagree with you.

Do you honestly believe that this'll be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

JRSC00LUDE
04-01-2018, 11:35 AM

Do you honestly believe that this'll be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

I have to say, I'm reading this too and I don't think he ever did say this is the straw. I'm reading it the same way that it's just another stick on the pile.

Enough tinder collects, you can burn your whole house down.

Seth1968
04-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Disagree with me on what exactly?

Rocket1k78
04-02-2018, 10:53 AM
It's catering to special interest groups and it's bullshit. The ONLY way I'd support this decision is if it's applied across the board and far higher premiums are levied by those who make the CHOICE to ride helmet free.

Totally agreed! There shouldn't be different laws for different people and the last part is the only way id be ok with this too. I have a close friend who took his bike around his loop without a helmet and he lost control going around 30kmhr and hes lucky to be alive.

gretz
04-02-2018, 01:26 PM
This happened a few years ago in BC - you cant allow one religious group an exemption and not another. Utterly idiotic.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pastafarian-fights-to-wear-spaghetti-strainer-for-id-photo-1.1960281

You can fucking believe that there will be a number of people ripping on their bikes with fucking strainers on their heads... that, and urinals in Women's bathrooms

16hypen3sp
04-02-2018, 08:43 PM
I don't wear a turban nor do I practice any sort of religion. But I am no longer wearing a helmet when I ride my bikes on general principle.

Jk, I'll still wear it, however, I shouldn't have to by law.

Skrilla
04-03-2018, 05:45 AM
Quite baffled this became a thing. But how does a turban stay on at 110+ km/h? Never wore one so I'm actually curious..

Rocket1k78
04-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Sorry if this comes off offensive, not my intention.
Would any rider be able to put on a turban and ride with no helmet? The cop would obviously pull you over but couldn't you just say thats your religion? how does a cop prove your religion on the spot?

Swank
04-03-2018, 11:04 AM
This guy's skull will probably be fine for any collision under 70 km/h

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/152621-11.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

revelations
04-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Would any rider be able to put on a turban and ride with no helmet? The cop would obviously pull you over but couldn't you just say thats your religion? how does a cop prove your religion on the spot?

Thats exactly what you could do - and why wearing a cauldron on your head is the same thing but is not an "approved" religious head wear.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2018, 03:32 PM
How long before this guy and his crew start referring to their headwear as turbans?

blownz
04-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Someone should start making touques that look like turbans for all the people that want to ride without helmets. You could make a killing! :)

Once again though I think the government needs to stay out of religion. We should all tolerate religion so long as it complies with our laws. Laws should be the same for everyone and should not vary depending on religion.

Disoblige
04-03-2018, 03:37 PM
When safety is a concern, this is just outrageous.

It's totally different than something like this link below, which I think is cool.
http://canoe.com/news/national/turbans-and-hijabs-included-in-police-dress-code-montreal-city-councillor-says-its-about-time

Seeing Edmonton police rocking a turban and it looks nice to boot.

Mitsu3000gt
04-03-2018, 03:53 PM
^^ That police turban looks pretty sweet, better than the normal hats haha. I like that that's an option.

As for the helmets, meh, who cares. On a single passenger motorcycle/bicycle or whatever else, if your religious customs are more important than your life and/or leaving your family without a father/mother/brother/whatever and you don't want to wear a helmet, go for it.

Only real downside is when they crash and need 10X the medical care, taxpayers are still paying for it...and you can't decide not to pay those taxes due to your own beliefs. That is where I start to disagree with it.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the cop turban is cool. Looks good, is functional, doesn't confuse or harm anyone. I fully support it.

dirtsniffer
04-03-2018, 04:16 PM
What if he was in the morticycle group?
Hahah

btimbit
04-03-2018, 04:33 PM
As much as I don't like the idea of laws like this only applying to certain people, if someone dumb enough to go without a helmet, fuck 'em

Maxt
04-03-2018, 10:21 PM
If you weren't brown and wearing a turban, is that racial profiling?

Rocket1k78
04-04-2018, 10:15 AM
If you weren't brown and wearing a turban, is that racial profiling?

Thats a very good point and i could totally see someone arguing that. This is going to be an interesting season lol