PDA

View Full Version : Will they fit? GLA rims on a C63?

killramos
04-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Well, my ignorance is getting the best of me on this so I thought I might as well ask...

Coming from
8.5 J x 19 ET38 - 245/35 ZR 19 93Y XL - Front
9.5 J x 19 ET56 - 265/35 ZR 19 98Y XL - Rear

Should a winter square set of these fit?

8.0J X 19 ET42 - 245/35 ZR 19 93T XL

Essentially trying to figure out if OEM GLA 19 inch rims will fit on my C63 as a winter set, found a set for a great price on Kijiji. Ran them through a couple calculators online and I think this works but I really don't know what I am looking at. The fact that they are "SUV" rims doesnt change anything does it?

Still, need to order the tires once I have the rims but planning on the above size in Hakka 8's.

TIA

Buster
04-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Even the GL45 wheels are very narrow. They look like bike wheels, lol

killramos
04-02-2018, 07:59 PM
245's are the recommended tire width for the C63 so I figure it's not too bad. It's the offsets etc. I am worried about.

zhao
04-02-2018, 08:04 PM
As long as the bore is the same they'll fit and the fitment will actually look fairly similar to your staggered setup for the rims themselves.

You should probably not run a 245/35 on a 8in rim though; that is bit too skinny of a rim to be ideal imo, but it'll work and still be safe, just a little bulged. I'd pick a 225/40/19 to go on those myself in a square setup (I run 225s on my rwd 335 for winters, and no reason you couldn't on your c63)

killramos
04-02-2018, 08:23 PM
interesting hadn't considered 225's. Wasn't sure if that was too skinny for the car, I don't want it to cut into ruts too much since the car is pretty low? Can get the same tire in that profile so that works too.

I think I ran 205's on my M235i no issues so 225 is still pretty reasonable I guess.

The rims are pretty nice too and will be more than suitable for winter.

tirebob
04-02-2018, 08:35 PM
On a square set up the offsets should not pose an issue using that tire size all around, but the rims may not clear the big as brakes on that AMG so I would suggest a test fit first. That said, they will look a bit weak, but function before fashion is sometimes just fine!

killramos
04-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Yea that's why I have been sticking above 19", -1 sizing definitely not an option on the front brakes for Diameters.

But in terms of depth brakes might still be an issue that's true... No way to get that confirmed without a test fit... Though the offset is greater than stock on the fronts and they are the brakes I really need to be concerned about.

To be fair my stock fronts are 245's on an 8.5. The rear's will definitely look like crap from behind though.

FFS this is why I always buy OEM shit :rofl:

Buster
04-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Get tirebob to hook you up with the AMG replicas I put on the GLA45. They look great, and clear the brakes in terms of width and depth - or whatever words real tire guys use for those terms.

- - - Updated - - -

https://i.imgur.com/FFpyPEj.jpg

killramos
04-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Yea I think I might just do that. I quite like those.

Regardless no need to order now since I’m praying to be able to drive on the summers next week? Haha

Might have jumped on a set of cheap oems but if I’m going to just buy new anyways no rush.

benyl
04-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Yea that's why I have been sticking above 19", -1 sizing definitely not an option on the front brakes for Diameters.

Just because they are 19", doesn't mean they will clear the brakes.

I accidentally tried to mount the OEM rear wheel on my E63 front and it would not clear. The rears are 19x9.5 and the fronts are 19x9. The profile of the inside matters.

rage2
04-02-2018, 10:06 PM
If you want cheap GLA45 winters I’ll have a setup available as I trade in my GLA any day now. Just waiting for the new car to arrive.

killramos
04-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Thanks Rage, still no way to confirm the interior dimensions will work.

I would say test fit but would need to strip off the tire to do the test as your gla tires will be way too tall.

rage2
04-03-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm sure you can lift the car and can test fit fairly easily.

When did MB remove wheel and tire information out of the owner's manual? They used to have approved sizing for square setups in winter, from diameter to offset to tire size. Noticed that's not available in the 2018 E manual, and didn't see it in the C manual either when trying to figure out your approved setup.

edit - from my GLA45 manual, this page doesn't exist in any of the current manuals. :nut:

killramos
04-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Probably around the same time that MB Canada has no official winter tire setup for the C63S...

I found a German document from AMG outlining a 245 square setup that seems to be ok. Looks like it matches what they run in the ADA winter training. Can’t remember the offset and rim width off the top of my head. But overall that is why I have been targeting 245. Might be 8.5 all the way around which could make the 8’s tight on the front brakes as Benyl suggested.

Aside form that gla rims with 42mm offset sound like a good compromise.

I can’t remember how to link to imgur but this is the page. Recommends 8.5 width still with staggered rims...

https://imgur.com/a/yV3BN

rage2
04-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Yea, different offset is fine. IIRC my C63 sedan was setup that way too back in the day. While having skinnier rears are better in the snow, I did eventually go with the wider rear tires because on dry days the car would oversteer way the fuck too much in the dry.

I also found the MB Canada wheel/tire recommendation page. It brings you to some site here:

http://www.mbwheels.ca/mercedes

And ya, excellent deal on approved wheels and tires!

Unfortunately, doesn't actually list out the wheel specs at all other than diameter. Also, those Pirellis are probably the worst winter tires I've ever used.

killramos
04-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Compared to the 1200 dollar GLA (inc rubber I would wholesale off) ones I saw on kijiji yea that’s a fantastic deal lol

Problem with going with the wider rears is you get fucked for selection. I would rather go 245 with Hakka 8’s than 265 or 285 with garbage pirrelis. I think I can get the Michelin winters in 265 which is what I would go with if I went full staggered.

Also those are the coupe widths for sure. Should he 265 max recommended form AMG for the sedan (though I think I’m going to go 10mm bigger all around for summers next time).

I quite like the rims though and I would toy with actually buying a set, but if I wanted those finding someone who took them off their C63 on kijiji is likely a better move.

zhao
04-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Spokes hitting the rotor you can easily determine if that's a prob. If your current rims have like 1mm of clearance, you're boned on these rims. If it's a cm or more you're almost guaranteed to be good. You could also run a spacer as well. Gla rims outer spokes will sit 10.25mm closer to the inside of the car for offset all other things being equal

It is also extremely rare for a set of 19s to not fit on a car with 19s because of rim barrel design. Also I assume we're talking about a 2015+ body c63s here? Been a couple years since I worked at a merc shop but I think those had good room between the caliper and rim for height. That's the rarest fitment problem to deal with imo so not a huge risk

No reason you can't run 225s either, or even 205s technically.

Test fitting might be fine with gla tires. It's only a inch bigger diameter so it probably won't be an issue mounting it while jacked up (most cars this would work) and giving it a spin to see if it spins freely. Do not drive on it, soon as you try to turn you'll likely rub your bumper splash shield

Like I said though double check the bore as that is a factor too. Most manufacturers run the same bore on everything but not always. I know nothing about glas off the top of my head so best to look that up

tirebob
04-03-2018, 12:42 PM
If you want killramos, bring a sample of the rim by with the C63 and I can do a quick test fit for you as a favour. It won't take any time at all...

rage2
04-03-2018, 12:45 PM
If you want killramos, bring a sample of the rim by with the C63 and I can do a quick test fit for you as a favour. It won't take any time at all...
I think he's stuck in the garage with all the ruts... :rofl:

killramos
04-03-2018, 12:56 PM

I think he's stuck in the garage with all the ruts... :rofl:

The truth hurts lol

Thanks for the offer Bob. I’ll give you a pm once I have the car moving and we can talk about some options.

Saving a couple bucks on used rim of some kind is ideal since it’s just going to get trashed through winter. But either way I will be needing some rubber no matter what I choose so the favour won’t be forgotten.