PDA

View Full Version : RECOVERED: 2016 Nissan Sentra (Video)

Aznshadow85
04-10-2018, 08:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm5ejgz6r7k

Details: 2016 White Nissan Sentra Plate: BTT-2222

Happened yesterday morning in Monterey Park. Two women were seen walking on the street, saw an older man step out of his car parked inside the garage. They jumped in, and reversed into the neighbor and took off.

If anyone happens to see this car, please report it to the Calgary Police. It didn't have the keys in it so it might be abandoned or parked somewhere. Rear bumper is damaged.

EDIT: Car has been found. Was totaled and at the impound lot

FraserB
04-10-2018, 09:15 AM
If it was keyless start, wouldn’t it shut down pretty quick once the keys were out of range? Or would it just keep going until they shut it down?

Aznshadow85
04-10-2018, 09:17 AM
I believe they keep going until the car is turned off. Honestly they should make it turn off after it's out of range but I remember reading they don't for some safety reasons.

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Wow, that's bold. Broad daylight and the owner of the car right there. I suspect most people would assume they're "safe" if they are standing right beside the car.

Thaco
04-10-2018, 10:10 AM
If it was keyless start, wouldn’t it shut down pretty quick once the keys were out of range? Or would it just keep going until they shut it down?

most new cars are stupid, it only checks for keys when it starts, after that you're good until you turn the car off... IMO it should check for keys whenever you put it in or out of park.

lilmira
04-10-2018, 10:19 AM
fuckers deserve a john wick treatment

J-D
04-10-2018, 05:27 PM
most new cars are stupid, it only checks for keys when it starts, after that you're good until you turn the car off... IMO it should check for keys whenever you put it in or out of park.

Until your FOB has a low battery and your car shuts off randomly :thumbsdow

Thaco
04-10-2018, 05:47 PM

that's why i said when using park, you should be in a relatively safe place... i am pretty sure they could put in a feature to physically insert the fob for an override or something, we've used keys just fine until recently.. that's a lame argument.

J-D
04-10-2018, 05:49 PM
that's why i said when using park, you should be in a relatively safe place... i am pretty sure they could put in a feature to physically insert the fob for an override or something, we've used keys just fine until recently.. that's a lame argument.

True... My Nissan already has that, you just tap it against the dash if the battery dies and it has NFC.

ShermanEF9
04-10-2018, 09:10 PM

and if it were constantly checking for a key, your battery would last a day. the hell with replacing those fucking batteries everyday, or charging your fob.

"hey bill, i can't make it to work today, i forgot to charge my key."

Thaco
04-11-2018, 06:54 AM
and if it were constantly checking for a key, your battery would last a day. the hell with replacing those fucking batteries everyday, or charging your fob.

"hey bill, i can't make it to work today, i forgot to charge my key."

how often do you put your car in and out of park? i do it typically twice per drive,,,, but then, i also have a key, and my car hasn't been stolen because i am lazy, i have aftermarket starters that shut the car off as soon as you hit the brake to shift it in to gear

Strider
04-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Can't you still lock the door with cars that have keyless start? You can on BMWs with comfort access, seems like it would've been an easy way to prevent this theft.

zieg
04-11-2018, 09:55 AM

I actually tested that on a 2015 Mazda CX5. If you toss the key out the window it begins bitching at you almost immediately, but won't shut off the engine.

ShermanEF9
04-11-2018, 11:51 AM
how often do you put your car in and out of park? i do it typically twice per drive,,,, but then, i also have a key, and my car hasn't been stolen because i am lazy, i have aftermarket starters that shut the car off as soon as you hit the brake to shift it in to gear

I have set my truck to lock the shifter when the key is not present. its a feature built in for police vehicles.

bjstare
04-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Can't you still lock the door with cars that have keyless start? You can on BMWs with comfort access, seems like it would've been an easy way to prevent this theft.

Depends on the car. My infiniti, I could. My Lexus I can't; only way to do it on the lexus is actually use the physical key, which is a PITA. Fortunately, I never drive the car when it's cold enough that it needs to sit out and warm up, so it's a moot point.

prae
04-11-2018, 02:41 PM
My ford has an option you can set with software like Forscan to disable shifting out of park if the key goes out of range. I've enabled that choice.

Annoyingly you cannot lock the doors with the car running but the key "in range", or at least i cannot ascertain how to. E.g. so I could leave my car running but locked in the event i want to step away for a short period.

ShermanEF9
04-11-2018, 05:30 PM
My ford has an option you can set with software like Forscan to disable shifting out of park if the key goes out of range. I've enabled that choice.

Annoyingly you cannot lock the doors with the car running but the key "in range", or at least i cannot ascertain how to. E.g. so I could leave my car running but locked in the event i want to step away for a short period.

hit 78 90 at the same time on your keypad.

Aznshadow85
04-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Just an update. I was informed that the car has been found. It was totaled and is in the impound lot. The whole front was crashed and frame was bent in. Probably a write off from what I hear.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2018, 01:54 PM
That's disappointing, but a wrote-off may be a blessing in disguise here.

ShermanEF9
04-12-2018, 02:25 PM
I would never want a stolen vehicle back.

Disoblige
04-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Here's an idea. If it doesn't recognize the key is in the vehicle when running, the car goes HAM on the horn so people know you just stole the car as you're driving down the road. :rofl:

blownz
04-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Hopefully the thieves were injured! :thumbsup:

Thaco
04-12-2018, 04:16 PM
I would never want a stolen vehicle back.

this

you never know what has happened to or in it, i hate the feeling of even having my car prowled, i'd never want it back after being stolen.

Aznshadow85
04-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Hopefully the thieves were injured! :thumbsup:

Well the owner told me all the airbags were deployed. He did find a blackberry phone wedged in the passenger seat and is going to turn it into the police. Don't know if that'll lead to anything though.