PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Windows 10 on a Mac?

Tik-Tok
04-14-2018, 09:16 AM
I know Windows used to be buggy as shit on Macs a decade ago, but am wondering if they've improved in recent years?

Almost time for a new computer and the Mrs. really wants a Mac for her graphic design stuff, and help her do more work from home. Personally I can't stand Mac OS plus I've got some games and software etc. I'd rather not lose.

firebane
04-14-2018, 09:18 AM
I know Windows used to be buggy as shit on Macs a decade ago, but am wondering if they've improved in recent years?

Almost time for a new computer and the Mrs. really wants a Mac for her graphic design stuff, and help her do more work from home. Personally I can't stand Mac OS plus I've got some games and software etc. I'd rather not lose.

Not going to be a difference between a mac and pc for graphic design. They both run the same hardware and software. Only thing a mac does better is audio.

killramos
04-14-2018, 09:19 AM
It works great.

I was even running on non supported hardware.

This particularly mac has since died and needs a new power supply but it worked great before.

I used it mostly for software compatibility purposes, and to eek out a couple extra frames in games. Honestly macs run windows like a dream on boot camp, just don't try and get cute and use parallels or something as that always leads to issues.

Darell_n
04-14-2018, 10:18 AM
No problems here with Win10 on my iMac. The Mac drivers made it seamless other than dicking with scaling to get readable text sizes on a 5k resolution monitor.

Tik-Tok
04-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Good to know, thanks guys.

I assume all the files on my NAS and external hard drives will be readable by Windows 10 on a Mac as well? Are there any known problems with that kind of thing?

Not going to be a difference between a mac and pc for graphic design. They both run the same hardware and software. Only thing a mac does better is audio.

Stand alone, I agree, but she'll be running software and licenses from her work which is all Mac. She also likes Mac OS better than Windows, so this way we can have both on one computer. We very rarely need to use the desktop at the same time, so don't need two computers.

killramos
04-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Mac can read windows formatted discs. Windows can’t the other direction without additional add ons.

Overall. Shouldn’t be an issue for NAS drives.

I think Apple recent switched to a new file system too which exacerbated the issue.

Jlude
04-17-2018, 10:33 PM
I've been running windows on a mac via bootcamp for about 7 years, now running windows 10 and it's fine. I probably won't do it again, just because the surface book will be great by the time I'm do for a replacement, and it's a pain in the ass to setup every time.