PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Won't Boot Up

BrknFngrs
04-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Hoping some of the more tech inclined folks here can help me sort out a computer issue that started yesterday as I’m out of ideas.

Windows 10, desktop computer with the OS installed on a Samsung SSD added a few years ago. Computer has 3 other mechanical HDDs for media storage (one of which formally held the OS. Computer was functioning normally until I tried to import a network based media library into iTunes on the PC yesterday.

Computer immediately froze and the blue windows loading circle came up. After a few minutes it showed a screen noting a critical error had occurred and it required a restart. Restarted the computer and it now gets hung up on the windows loading screen (all black, with the spinning white dots at the bottom center)

Things I’ve tried so far (all haven’t solved the issue):

Windows Automatic Repair – Couldn’t repair my PC
Troubleshooting in Automatic Repair: “Refresh Your PC” option doesn’t show up, restore from restore points fails, “Reset Your PC” fails
Was able to access the list of boot options for Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, etc. – All safe mode options get hung up at the same black loading screen with the spinning white dots
Tried rebooting with all USB devices unplugged, but gets hung up at the same screen (seemed like a potential fix based on online discussion)

Can access command prompt and tried to follow a tutorial online which used the following commands (also didn't allow me to boot up afterwards):

Bootrec /rebuildbcd – was successful
Bootrec /fixmbr – noted “Access Denied”
Bootrec /fixboot – was successful

Made a USB Windows 10 Boot Drive and changed the bios settings to boot from it. Doing this gave me the option to boot from a Windows 7 partition I didn’t know was on the computer still. Did so and this worked, but was very slow. Once into Windows 7 I used the USB Boot Drive 10 to upgrade to Windows 10 which was successful, but still operating slowly and looks to be missing all files from the date in which I which I switched over to my SSD.

When I installed the SSD a few years ago I just cloned the existing OS drive using Samsung’s Magician software that came with the drive - worked fine until yesterday
I’m not sure, but it seems like this prior installation of windows that I’ve now upgraded to 10 is the previous version that I cloned from on one of the mechanical HDD’s? Some of these HDD’s are 5400rpm drives, hence it being slow? Not sure how to check which physical drive this installation of windows is sitting on though?

Initial thought was that maybe the SSD has died and that’s why it won’t boot with my current installation of Windows 10. Yet, when I load up the old installation of windows noted above, Samsung Magician is installed and notes the condition of the drive as being “Good”

Won’t have access to the computer to further troubleshoot until this evening, but wanted to post now in case anyone had any suggestions for troubleshooting to look at this evening. Really appreciate any insight!