PDA

View Full Version : Travelling for work

nzwasp
04-17-2018, 01:46 PM
Who on here has to travel for work and what type of work do you do?

My work contract states up to 50% travel; and its felt like that. I work as a cyber security / network / systems in automation. So this year ive spent approximately 4 weeks in Fort McMurray/Conklin area, also been out to Sarnia, ON for a week and just spent two weeks in Ireland for work as well. Technically I am in a Canadian team but our worldwide team calls on us often to travel to their areas to help out.

I know Kobe always mentions he is travelling (i presume for work), I wondered if others have to travel or be on the road for work all the time as well?

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Currently on a contract that requires lots of travel to Vancouver. Spending approx 6 weeks total in Downtown Vancouver, and then a bunch of time in Burnaby.

I'm typically a sysadmin, but for this contract I'm a desktop deployment designer/implementer.

schurchill39
04-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Oil field service industry. I'm based out of Calgary but I will do lots of training or act as the engineering lead on high profile jobs in the field if needed. I don't get to go anywhere cool for that though, just Alberta and Sask so I'd say I am on the road about 30% of my time. I've done quite a few international presentations though and I'm a big fan when I get invited or apply to speak somewhere outside of Canada.

KPHMPH
04-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Oilfield.
I live in Calgary and work up in Grande Prairie... I’ve found flying is the cheapest, my time is worth a lot more than the dollars I spend on a plane ticket.

Nufy
04-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Oil and gas...

Currently SME for several projects that has seen me travel to Mexico, Italy, Houston.

Will probably be spending most of the summer in Northern AB and the fall winter in Mexico. Combination of Construction support, commissioning and Start-up.

03ozwhip
04-17-2018, 03:50 PM
I travelled for 4.5 years from calgary to northern alberta and northern bc as a welder. However, due to not being able to get anything right now, I'm working in calgary.

Both have their positive and negatives.

Lex350
04-17-2018, 04:18 PM
My situation is a bit different. I do office/furniture design. I normally don't have to travel that much for work but then I married an American girl. She got laid-off in Calgary and went back to South Carolina. So I made a proposal to work about remote working 2 weeks each month. So that's what I do now. I make sure all my in person meetings are taken care of while I am in Calgary and then head down south to work remotely for 2 weeks. It is actually easier than I thought it would be. I do a lot of web meetings with screen sharing apps that work just fine. I'm headed down there again shortly. Got to say even though they have also had a shitty winter it is so much better than here.

Hence why I have an ad up looking for a room mate for my house here in Calgary.

TomcoPDR
04-17-2018, 05:39 PM
Insurance damage restoration. Anywhere in Canada for the very least. But the industry as a whole could offer us worldwide employment opportunities. A Few Canadians i know likes to work in Australia this time of year.

hampstor
04-17-2018, 08:52 PM
If it counts, I work for a major producer and I am usually in Mississauga / Oakville for 1 week every quarter. I usually do a lot of work with our downstream technology teams helping develop and execute supply strategies. I used to do the occasional trip up to YMM when they let me work on non technology things.

Kobe
04-17-2018, 09:01 PM
Who on here has to travel for work and what type of work do you do?

My work contract states up to 50% travel; and its felt like that. I work as a cyber security / network / systems in automation. So this year ive spent approximately 4 weeks in Fort McMurray/Conklin area, also been out to Sarnia, ON for a week and just spent two weeks in Ireland for work as well. Technically I am in a Canadian team but our worldwide team calls on us often to travel to their areas to help out.

I know Kobe always mentions he is travelling (i presume for work), I wondered if others have to travel or be on the road for work all the time as well?

Haha, its an addicting this this traveling - I was really trying to settle down in Calgary and get shit down now but I just couldn't do it anymore. It's def nice to travel for work, however I'm just allowed to travel with my job being online (most countries)

But it's not exactly forcing me to travel but something I'm enjoying doing.

But ya if I did get an employer now I'd have to know i get benefits of traveling to other places or I'd prob lose my mind sitting in one city, once you experience it you, you will have something to look forward to each time IMO.. (Unless you got a family and kids IMO)

botox
04-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Travelling IT guy here for a midstream O&G company. I'm basically a Generalist, a little bit of everything and know enough to get myself in and out of trouble. During one of our busier years I would say I was on the road a good 60% of the time, but they came in spurts so I would be gone for a whole month sometimes but I make it a rule to be home on the weekends to spend it with the family. Sites are mostly in AB and SK but we have a site in Sarnia and a bunch over the US. I'm not a huge fan of flying cause I get motion sick very easily so if time allows I will drive. Longest road trip was about 2500km over 1 week and hit up 5 sites that was in the Wisconsin/Michigan area. The more I travel, the more I hate working in the office.

eblend
04-18-2018, 01:39 PM
I travel a few times a year, usually about a week at a time. Last week was in San Diego when it was snowing in Calgary, definitely nice. I'm in IT as well, go out when they need more complex shit done, would be more often if we didn't have a guy in the states, except he has failed miserably a few times in a row, so the boss prefers to send me now to get shit done. We got offices all over North and South California, Phoenix, Denver, Washington, Hawaii, Austin, Toronto and Edmonton, but I have only been to San Diego, Phoenix and Denver offices so far in the last year or so. Travel is my passion when not working, so I enjoy going to any trip anywhere. This company it sure beats my old place, working for Alberta government and travelling to Drayton Valley, Olds, Fort Mac....

ShermanEF9
04-18-2018, 04:52 PM
I work in security integration and will travel on occasion. seems to be more often since we were bought out as we are one of the bigger offices in terms of man power.

bjstare
04-18-2018, 06:42 PM
My work is probably 60-70% travel. Never actually calculated it, but it's a lot. Gone Mon-Thur most weeks, but then get a couple months per year where I can work from home or have short days at our home office and reset a bit. Work for a major global consulting firm. Many of our projects are in major cities; the group I'm in right now though is especially lucky, as our clients are mostly in Ft. Mac :rolleyes:

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-18-2018, 09:30 PM
My work is probably 60-70% travel. Never actually calculated it, but it's a lot. Gone Mon-Thur most weeks, but then get a couple months per year where I can work from home or have short days at our home office and reset a bit. Work for a major global consulting firm. Many of our projects are in major cities; the group I'm in right now though is especially lucky, as our clients are mostly in Ft. Mac :rolleyes:

Sounds like Deloitte.

ExtraSlow
04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
sounds like a goddamned stud ftfy

bjstare
04-19-2018, 07:37 AM
ftfy

:love: