PDA

View Full Version : Truck modification

Pages : [1] 2

shakalaka
04-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Okay guys I know there are a lot of pick-up truck guys here so I thought this would be the right place to ask this. But basically I’ve been contemplating getting rid of my bike and get something different that I can have fun with. From what I’ve been looking at I might end up with something like an older F150 or something. I plan to modify this a bit and also use in winter and longer highway drives when I go to circuit courts. Having never really gotten involved in the modding game for trucks, I wonder what all is possible.

I did a quick eBay search and see lot of grilles, fender flares add-ons, various headlights and all that. That may be something I consider but I am more curious about the tires and lifts etc. I see some nicely done up trucks with a little lift or 33” or 35” inch tires that I quite like the look of. That’s something I’d like to look into but have no idea where to start.

When you buy these tires what should I be looking for? Would I also need rims or they go on stock rims? What sort of costs can be expected for something like this? Same with lift kits. What to look for? How high? What are all the parts that are needed to be changed? Expenses involved including installation etc? Basically if I do end up getting a truck what sort of mods should I be looking at as a beginner and some places perhaps that can do the work as I am myself not mechanically inclined.

With the truck I am aiming for something with under 200K km’s which is absurd to me as it is considering I drive my cars sometimes for under 20k before getting rid of them but most trucks I see have lot of mileage and if not they are way more $ than what I wanna spend on a side thing. Do the engines blow on these often? I see a lot of them with new engines and what not? Are engines easy to acquire and get replaced? Expenses? Anyway, basically educate me on the topic of truck modification world.

Thanks!

ExtraSlow
04-17-2018, 10:16 PM
Man, lifts and big tires look bitchin but wouldn't be my suggestion for a highway truck.

It's true trucks usually have higher mileage than cars. 25-30 k per year is normal.

Reliability is extremely variable. Mostly decent, but you can't expect perfection with anything at 200k.

You have brand preferences? Hauling anything?

shakalaka
04-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Don’t care about brands. Just whatever I can find in regards to someone willing to trade for my bike. Example, currently talking to a guy with a 2006 F150 with 180K km’s. It’s worth a little less than my bike so trying to see if he’ll add some $. But basically whatever I can find that meets the variables like 4x4, relatively low km’s etc. The tires I feel will be a must for me for the big look even tho I could pass on the lift. Sure like the looks of the combination tho. It will be highway driven every now and then but not like I am always on the roads so the noise and all that is not a concern.

Not hauling anything either for the most part. We have a boat and an Escalade ext that my family uses to tow it so if I do end up with a truck, towing wouldn’t be a priority.

ExtraSlow
04-17-2018, 10:29 PM
If you can get yourself a 2009 or newer F150 you get the six speed transmission which drives much nicer and is very good. The 5.4L V8 is good but has common issues with the variable timing system.
Get one with the 3.73 axle if you are serious about bigger tires, or budget for aftermarket gears, which aren't cheap but are readily available.

If you can find one of the gmc/Chev half tons with the aluminum block 6.2L V8, that one feels a bit faster than the 5.3L. Not a common combo.

- - - Updated - - -

Find my two "short term tow rig" threads. Lots of good advice given to me in those and much of it will be helpful to you.

shakalaka
04-17-2018, 10:35 PM
I feel like something like a 2009 plus would be way too much $ unless the mileage is super high. I am willing to add some $ on top of the bike to get a truck for something around $15K max. However, the chances of finding a seller with a truck that meets all, the variables who is also interested in a bike are somewhat rare so I may have to work with what I get I suppose. Had no idea about the axle stuff so will try to look at that I guess. I will look for your threads tomorrrow. Thanks.

ExtraSlow
04-17-2018, 10:46 PM
All the truck manufacturers offered the trucks with different axle ratios. The off road crowd often gets aftermarket gears, but if you can avoid that it'll save you.

You need a crew cab? Super cabs are much cheaper, and still have plenty of room for your files.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably easier to just sell the bike for cash and buy the truck as a separate transaction. People hate trades and you are cutting off 90% of your market

Lots of trucks newer than 2009 and under 15k

ercchry
04-17-2018, 11:12 PM
Older, and higher kms i’d Probably go gm... aged the best of the big 3, and just overall quality (not just drivetrain) is better.

Get a LTZ or SLT (chev vs gmc) for some nicer features

Z71 package is good too

For lift with a 32-33” tire you could probably just crank up the torsion bars (free!) or at most rekeyed bars (or whatever they call them) for torsion arms and some blocks for the leafs... not sure when they went struts in the front, or have they? But bilstien makes adjustable struts that work better than other options for getting a little lift on trucks. Better wear of the oem parts too

Yes. If you want that wide meaty look you will need rims... oem are usually rather thin width and also not enough backspacing (the truck way of saying offset haha)

tcon
04-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Google "level kit + (insert truck name)" to figure out what lift options you have

also check out customwheeloffset.com to see tons of different options. Pay attention to wheel and tire specs.

Aleks
04-18-2018, 08:27 AM
All the truck manufacturers offered the trucks with different axle ratios.

All except Toyota. Tundra only comes with a 4.30 rear end with the 5.7L V8 in Canada, that's why it's so good on gas :rofl:

ExtraSlow
04-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Yeah but who buys a Toyota? Nobody I want to talk to.

s_havinga
04-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Cost wise- you are best off to buy a truck that already has a lift / tires plenty of trucks out there with lifts and like most mod's you don't get your money back when selling. If you end up with a Ford or Dodge, you can probably get away with 35"s with just a leveling kit. With a Chevy / GM 33" will be max and even that will likely rub, if you want 35's, you'll probably need a 4" lift kit minimum. As mentioned before, you are probably going to end up way ahead if you just sell the bike and buy a truck cash.

mzdspd
04-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Any truck that is well taken care of and not rusted will demand high $. A guy at my work just paid 14K for a 2006 Sierra 1500 but it was in good condition and no rust. To me, that sounds nuts but that is just the market. Similar trucks in worse shape with rust were fetching 10k.

I would just get a 2-2.5" leveling kit (get the longer struts), bigger blocks for the rear and 33" tires and call it a day. Any more of a lift will cause other issues (CV angles, ball joint issues, rough ride etc) or it will cost big $ to get a higher end lift kit..

Rocket1k78
04-18-2018, 10:16 AM
I plan to modify this a bit and also use in winter and longer highway drives when I go to circuit courts. Having never really gotten involved in the modding game for trucks, I wonder what all is possible.

A lifted truck with large tires is fun in fresh deep snow but you wont be wanting to take that on the highways in winter or summer for that matter, unless the lift is a proper lift and everything is in check they ride like shit. Theres a couple tires that get pretty good snow ratings but most are like pucks when it gets cold and on an ice covered highway thats not a fun drive. The truck modding game is insane now so anything is possible and coming from the bmw world everything will be cheap lol The shitty thing with finding a cheaper lifted truck is most are beat to shit so buyer beware.

ExtraSlow
04-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Canada has been exporting thousands of trucks to the USA because of the currency differential over the last three years, so our used truck market is extremely tight. Used trucks basically don't depreciate any more once they are about five years old, it's insane.

shakalaka
04-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. Certainly gives a better perspective on how things go. It'll certainly be better to sell the bike and then get the truck vs sending our trade offers and that is an option as well I guess. Just depends on what happens sooner I suppose. I've seen some nicely done up ones but then they aren't interested in trades or they are relatively new and want too much $. I have been thinking the exact same thing with either a pick-up truck or a Jeep Wrangler. Pick-up will be better usability for me for down the line though. I think the first step is to which truck I actually end up getting and then explore what options are there for that particular model for lifting/bigger tires etc.

So if I want bigger tires, do I HAVE to lift up the truck (whatever it may be) to make it work? What I mean is, do these two mods always go together? I know I can lift and not put bigger tires but what about the other way around?

ercchry
04-18-2018, 01:19 PM
You can always go super low offset (high backspacing) on the wheels, and radius the wheel wells if you don’t want a lift... for wranglers you can just buy the flat fenders for the same effect... but wranglers are absolute shit highway vehicles

ExtraSlow
04-18-2018, 02:35 PM
+1 on jeeps being awful on the highway.

SKR
04-18-2018, 05:48 PM
So if I want bigger tires, do I HAVE to lift up the truck (whatever it may be) to make it work? What I mean is, do these two mods always go together? I know I can lift and not put bigger tires but what about the other way around?

You can go a littler bigger than stock on most trucks, maybe with some trimming or just accepting some rub while turning. Even going from a 265 all season to an aggressive 285 might be enough of a step for you, and would probably fit most trucks as long as you don't go with some goofy ass offset wheels.

I'd try that first, just to see how you like having a truck. The closer it is to stock, the easier it'll be to get back out of if you find out you're not a truck guy.

heavyfuel
04-18-2018, 06:37 PM
As somebody who's been down lifted/modded truck ave, my input is simply, DON'T DO IT!!!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Canada has been exporting thousands of trucks to the USA because of the currency differential over the last three years, so our used truck market is extremely tight. Used trucks basically don't depreciate any more once they are about five years old, it's insane.

Heuheuheu thousands per month at least.

shakalaka
04-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Thanks again guys. The search continues. Let’s see if it even materializes since majority of the people I have messaged aren’t looking for bike trades and the 5% that want bikes, want Harley’s.

ExtraSlow
04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Dude, if you are serious, sell the bike separately. Trying to trade is a joke.

shakalaka
04-18-2018, 09:48 PM
I have the bike up for sale/trade both. Haven’t really gotten any hits. Perhaps I’ll post a price instead of the swap/trade ‘price’ on Kijiji.

J-hop
04-19-2018, 07:17 AM
You can go a littler bigger than stock on most trucks, maybe with some trimming or just accepting some rub while turning. Even going from a 265 all season to an aggressive 285 might be enough of a step for you, and would probably fit most trucks as long as you don't go with some goofy ass offset wheels.

I'd try that first, just to see how you like having a truck. The closer it is to stock, the easier it'll be to get back out of if you find out you're not a truck guy.

Yea f150s will do 33s without a lift (probably want to level the front). However GMs with the square wheel wells have a hell of time fitting bigger than stock without a lift. I don’t even think you can get 33s on them without rubbing

gmc72
04-19-2018, 08:11 AM
Don't forget the most important mod for lifted trucks

:dunno:

s_havinga
04-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Yea f150s will do 33s without a lift (probably want to level the front). However GMs with the square wheel wells have a hell of time fitting bigger than stock without a lift. I don’t even think you can get 33s on them without rubbing

Can confirm, GM will rub on 33's. Although I have 33 x 12's and spacers on the front so both of of those things causes a lot of issues too, but if you want flares, it just looks silly to have narrow tires.

shakalaka
04-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Interesting. Lots of information, regardless of if I end up a truck any time soon or not. That's always appreciated, thanks everyone.

FraserB
04-19-2018, 11:49 AM

My 285/70/17 Duratracs rubbed with a leveling kit on my Sierra. But that was only in the front, at the back of the wheel well and when I had spacers on. Spacers off, no issues.

I eventually modified the pinch seam, added flares and put the spacers back on in the front. No issues now and I can probably step up a size when I need new tires. I also do have 4” total lift now as well.

Rocket1k78
04-19-2018, 01:07 PM
If you just want bigger tires, ram 1500's have the biggest wheel wells and stock they come with 33's. With a 2.5" level up front you can do a 35" tire but that would depend on the rim, nothing too wide or too low of an offset.
Jeeps can look killer done up and theres heavy AM support but theyre really popular now so theyre going to cost way more. Like others have said too, they drive like shit and are really noisy on the highway.

I also seen your V7 for sale and the price is pretty high

blubs
04-19-2018, 05:28 PM
In my opinion... Get the idea of lifting trucks out of your mind. As many have said you can typically go a bit larger (I did 265-285) but the moment you lift them it starts to really mess with their geometry. Lots of trucks have enough problems already (google Dodge Death Wobble). Buddy had a GMC 1500 with a 4" lift on 35's... Was probably the scariest towing experience i've ever had. Truck just gets thrown around, and can't decide on gears etc.

Just buy a nice truck, put nice tires on it (Nice tires doesn't always mean larger) and you will be much happier in the end. Or if you really have to as others have said, buy one thats already been done PROPERLY meaning gearing changed everything.

J-hop
04-19-2018, 06:32 PM
In my opinion... Get the idea of lifting trucks out of your mind. As many have said you can typically go a bit larger (I did 265-285) but the moment you lift them it starts to really mess with their geometry. Lots of trucks have enough problems already (google Dodge Death Wobble). Buddy had a GMC 1500 with a 4" lift on 35's... Was probably the scariest towing experience i've ever had. Truck just gets thrown around, and can't decide on gears etc.

Just buy a nice truck, put nice tires on it (Nice tires doesn't always mean larger) and you will be much happier in the end. Or if you really have to as others have said, buy one thats already been done PROPERLY meaning gearing changed everything.

I think a lot of it has to do with cheap lift components, cutting corners, as well and not doing a full suspension refresh when you lift a truck. Your point about gearing is a really good point people do some pretty questionable things like slapping on 35’s and sticking with inappropriate factory gearing meant for tires much smaller.

shakalaka
04-24-2018, 06:50 PM
What do you guys think of the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500's? Is that a good one to go with?

A 2010 with about 140K km's; what do you think a reasonable $ figure is to pay for one?

ExtraSlow
04-24-2018, 06:54 PM
You still hell-bent on lifting this thing, or staying stock?

The rams ride nice on the highway because of the coil suspension. Rams are usually a little cheaper both new and used than GMC and Ford. In my searches, kijiji is full of them.
so many variables, but that's not a rare truck. Maybe $15k?

shakalaka
04-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Not sure about lift or anything anymore but maybe down the line. Maybe just bigger tires if I can fit them. Anyway have one that I am thinking and trying to figure out if the asking price is reasonable and the mileage is somewhat low'ish. If something needs to be fixed, are they repair costs reasonable?

Any known issues with this gen that I should be worried about?

ExtraSlow
04-24-2018, 07:04 PM
I`m not a dodge guy, not sure.

ercchry
04-24-2018, 07:25 PM
2010 is still new enough that the trim level and engine will be factors in trying to figure out a fair price

ShermanEF9
04-24-2018, 08:04 PM
probably be between 13-16k depending on trim and features.

shakalaka
04-24-2018, 08:13 PM
2010 is still new enough that the trim level and engine will be factors in trying to figure out a fair price

It's a Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4 x 4?

Well from what my research suggests, seems like I would be getting a good deal. I haven't even sold my bike yet and I am contemplating picking this up because of that.

2010 with 124K km's and getting it at $8750. Does some cosmetic issues like windshield and front headlight is cracked and apparently a dent on the front bumper at bottom and fender on the same side. No mechanical issues from the inspection will need tie rod in a little while (not sure about the $) and rear brake pads are 45%.

Clear carproof and auto check from what I can tell. Was initially registered in Newfoundland and NS and as a commercial vehicle at some point but has been in AB since 2015.

Thoughts?

SkiBum5.0
04-25-2018, 03:19 AM
Tempting price but I wouldnt' touch it. East Coast truck for 5 years = rust. What's the delta between that price and the market price? I suppose if it's a lot, you can hedge your bet

shakalaka
04-25-2018, 06:42 AM
It has no rust at all from what I am being told. When I do a search online for blue book value it shows an estimated value of $13K to $16K.

schurchill39
04-25-2018, 07:19 AM
From what you are being told yes but they may only be refering to the painted surface. Anything further east than manitoba I would make a point of crawling underneath and check out every bracket, cross member, frame rail, hitch component and bolt. Some surface rust from where paint chipped away is fine, but I'd hazard a bet you'd find a lot more. If you don't then that a fairly good deal although nothing extraordinary. I'd still pay the $150 to have a Dodge dealership inspect it but I have never had good luck with Dodges in the past so maybe I am overly cautious.

I've never been one to believe in the blue book value for vehicles especially in our market because very rarely have I seen it accurately reflect what the vehicle is worth or is selling for.

Also, my 2005 and 2014 F-150 fit 34" tires no problem with a 2" level. I say screw the lift and just level what ever you get. It could be done for under $200 (including the alignment) and looks way better IMO. You also say that road noise isn't an issue as you will not spend all your time on the highway but a few trips with loud tires will definitely change your mind. Talk to Bob over at Urban X and he will help you out when the time comes. My vote goes to the BFG AT2 tires. Running them on my 2014 and really impressed with them so far.

ExtraSlow
04-25-2018, 07:41 AM
Dude, this is an incredibly common truck, have a look on kijiji and physically go see some.

Where is it located?

shakalaka
04-25-2018, 08:11 AM
It’s the cheapest on Kijiji by a bit actually. He also gave me an inspection report which says everything is good except brakes at 45% and rear tie rods will need need replacing in a while (cost)? It’s listed on Edmonton Kijiji in Red colour.

Looks like he took the add down as I sent him a deposit yesterday. It’s only got 124K on it.

ExtraSlow
04-25-2018, 08:21 AM
Rear brakes are no trouble, so that's cool. Red is the fastest colour. Shit, giv'er.

shakalaka
04-25-2018, 03:39 PM
So I guess I passed on it.

I don’t know something just didn’t feel right. Call it intuition or whatever and even tho feel the deal was pretty good but something about too good to be true kind of thing. Plus the fact that I haven’t sold the bike yet didn’t help. The whole idea is to replace 1 with 1 and not add another one. I told the guy to just keep the deposit cause I feel like I wasted his time since yesterday but at least that’s better than drowning $9K.

ExtraSlow
04-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Man, the other rule is that no deposit is required for these vehicles. When you are ready to buy, just be ready to buy.

Clever
04-26-2018, 07:11 PM
If you do go with a Ram 1500 from 2009-2018 you can level the truck and fit 33’s without rubbing. I am on my 2nd Ram and so far no major issues. Planning on doing the level myself, but that’s about it for aesthetics mods. As for truck mods in general, pick your poison, so much you can do, lift, lower, tuners, the list goes on.

dirtsniffer
04-27-2018, 02:02 AM
If you level your truck make sure you adjust your headlights down.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2018, 06:47 AM
If you level your truck make sure you do not adjust your headlights down.FTFY

he's talking about a ram.

FraserB
04-27-2018, 07:45 AM
FTFY

he's talking about a ram.

In that case, he should be adding HIDs to the halogen housings

J-hop
04-27-2018, 11:04 AM
In that case, he should be adding HIDs to the halogen housings

He should also make sure he runs as wide and negative offset wheels as possible with no mudflaps so you shower traffic behind you and take off all the paint behind your wheel wells.

At least that is what the cool kids are doing these days.

killramos
04-27-2018, 11:08 AM
I think Shak is going to be the first non white guy to ever buy a ram 1500

Gunna need to hide behind some white Oakley’s and limo tint. Make sure you tint your taillights too to make up for the HID’s out front.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2018, 11:17 AM
I think Shak is going to be the first non white guy to ever buy a ram 1500
I actually know a short, brown, middle aged engineer who drives a jacked up Dodge 3500 cummins. He has been spotted wearing white oakleys as well. He's a good sport about it and calls himself a douchbag.

killramos
04-27-2018, 11:18 AM
I said 1500 :rofl:

shakalaka
04-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Haha

If this is your guys' way of keeping me from buying a truck...I gotta say it's working! lol

ercchry
04-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Haha

If this is your guys' way of keeping me from buying a truck...I gotta say it's working! lol

a guy like you needs to be in a denali!

ExtraSlow
04-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Haha

Still better than a jeep

roll_over
04-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Next time you're in Calgary send me a message and drive mine. I live in your area and have a Ram 1500 that I use strictly to and from work and nothing else. I added a 6 inch lift, and it's riding on 33's but they're stretched cause they're on a 14 wide wheel. Besides parking it cause of the insane offset and poke it drives amazing.

I used to have a 2006 then a 2009, 2013 and am now on the a 16. These trucks have been great to me with virtually no issues.

SKR
04-27-2018, 01:13 PM
He should also make sure he runs as wide and negative offset wheels as possible with no mudflaps so you shower traffic behind you and take off all the paint behind your wheel wells.

To be fair, it's next to impossible to buy a wheel these days that doesn't do that and isn't ugly.

roll_over
04-27-2018, 09:20 PM

lol, -44 offset here + 1.5 inch spacers. The best was to combat that is to box line the entire truck, good luck ruining your own paint

shakalaka
05-29-2018, 12:31 AM
So even though the insect died for a bit, it’s coming back up now that I am selling my bike tomorrow. While I am exploring a couple of options I want to make sure if I go the Ram route something decent can be done without too much expense.

If I go with a 2010 Ram 1500 SLT, what sort of leveling kit or lift kit should I look at? Also what kind of tires in terms of size and brand etc? The idea is to have the modded, aftermarket, raised look but it certainly doesn’t need to be anything crazy. Any recommended websites where I can order these kits and tires from? Finally, place for installation...preferably in Edmonton?

As an offshoot and something completely different than a lifted truck, I am also talking to someone selling a manual 2006 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner which has a ground kit and all that from the factory and is a more sporty spin on a pickup. Only thing is the price, we will see if we can agree on something. This one I wouldn’t try to lift and all that of course. Any comments or things to know about these?

shakalaka
05-29-2018, 11:18 AM
Is this a good deal?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1358668696

It's pretty plain looking so will need to do something to it for sure even if that's level kit, big tires etc or what. But is it a good deal otherwise? If I do go check it out, what should I be looking at to make sure there's nothing wrong with it?

- - - Updated - - -
roll_over Hey thanks man, much appreciate the offer. If I end up going the Ram route then I think I will definitely take you up on your offer. Will certainly help with getting ideas of what to expect in terms of ride, costs etc.

Clever
05-29-2018, 06:19 PM
With regards to the mods such as lift, level, tires check out ramforum.com, if you are buying a 2009-2018 Ram go to the 4th generation section, and you will find a sub forum for lifted, exterior and engine and performance, the mods you are planning to do would be in those 3 sections. Tons of info and pics or videos to give you a better idea, you also won’t get ridiculed for wanting to buy a Ram, lol. Leveling or lift, tires and exterior mods, or just mods in general are all so subjective, I try to keep my truckmostly stock, it is a truck after all but as I mentioned there are so much you can do.

As per that specific truck, if the truck has up to date maintenance, and all recalls performed, it’s not a bad price, but I’m sure you can get a better trim than an SLT, and have better options at around the same price or a bit more, just a matter of looking.

dirtsniffer
05-29-2018, 06:24 PM
Dont forget your sweet hid bulbs, light bar and fuel rims bruh

spikerS
05-29-2018, 06:29 PM
Is this a good deal?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1358668696

It's pretty plain looking so will need to do something to it for sure even if that's level kit, big tires etc or what. But is it a good deal otherwise? If I do go check it out, what should I be looking at to make sure there's nothing wrong with it?

- - - Updated - - -
roll_over Hey thanks man, much appreciate the offer. If I end up going the Ram route then I think I will definitely take you up on your offer. Will certainly help with getting ideas of what to expect in terms of ride, costs etc.

it's an OK deal, IMO, but I will tell you right now, with your taste in vehicles that you have owned to date, you will HATE driving that truck. It's an SLT and those are pretty low on the trim levels for a RAM and won't have much in the terms of modern convieniences that you are used to now.

shakalaka
05-29-2018, 07:40 PM
I don't mind the basic-ness of a truck, i.e., no technology inside as long as it's fun to drive otherwise. I test drove a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner today and it was standard and I definitely had fun driving it even though it was very basic. It had a little many cosmetic flaws with it for me to go for it plus the guy wasn't willing to drop the price by much. Also saw a 07 lifted F150 at one of those little car sale dealers and it was already lifted and everything and while the exterior was awesome, the interior was gross as hell. Electrical fucking nightmare with wires hanging all around and the DVD deck fitted so lose that it moved inside the console and shit. And I was told that the tire error sign will be there no matter what if the truck is lifted and has bigger tires?

Anyway, struggling to find something that I like looks wise but that's also decent inside and all that within a reasonable $ range I want to spend. So that's why I got to thinking if I go with the stock Ram or something, perhaps just mod it myself to make the exterior somewhat attractive to me but of course that is also such a pain in the ass.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2018, 07:53 PM
The tpms light can be fixed, but lots of guys with aftermarket wheels don't bother.

ercchry
05-29-2018, 08:30 PM
There is nothing fun about a “lifted” pickup... unless fun mean running over curbs and shit

The only fun that comes from driving a 4x4 is going off-road... and a levelled and otherwise stock full-size truck will be absolute garbage off-road and will get stuck everywhere... and scratched to shit

#askmehowiknow :rofl:

ExtraSlow
05-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Don't mod the truck at all for six months. If you don't hate trucks in six months, modify away.

spikerS
05-29-2018, 10:16 PM

This is my truck how it sits right now. Only mods on it right now are cosmetic. While my truck is a 2016, you can pretty much get this look with any 2009+. I am just trying to show that lifts are not always the way to go.

I haven't leveled it yet, mainly because while it is still under warranty, I kinda get a little scared with any kind of mechanical mods. I am debating on doing a 2" lift on it in the future though and going to 35" tires.

shakalaka
05-29-2018, 10:47 PM
So what mods do you have if no lifts or level kit? It looks a little raised than stock, no?

ercchry
05-29-2018, 10:56 PM
Angles and ratios...

This is a ‘13 with the bilstien 5100s, only set to 0.75” lift in the front... I wanted it “level” with 500lbs in the back so it didn’t look stupid while loaded up... longer wheel base though with the 6.5’ box so looks lower. Didnt want to “lift” the rear as it comes factory with 1.5” blocks already, which results in plenty of axle wrap as is (wheel hop) didn’t need the extra torque that larger blocks would have resulted in. Non issue with the newer rams though as they don’t run leafs out back

spikerS
05-29-2018, 11:29 PM
So what mods do you have if no lifts or level kit? It looks a little raised than stock, no?

I can't even really call them "mods" as there is nothing on the truck that adds HP or lift, it's not even leveled.

mods are:
Weather-tec rock deflector
Aries 5.5" AdvantEDGE aluminium bull bar
20" Ridgid Industries light bar
Backflip G2 Hard tonneau cover
20" 2 piece Fuel "Nutz" rims wrapped in stock OEM sized BF Goodrich KA/02 tires (stock rims were 18" that are now my dedicated winter setup)
I also put in a small HAM UHF/VHF radio to listen to the cops when I am out on the highway to listen for speed traps

I have a few more cosmetic upgrades I want to do, but in time, I maybe selling this one soon though as I might be looking to get a 3/4 or 1 ton for my side jobs as I need the cargo capacity more now.

Rocket1k78
05-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Spikers is probably right, If you're used to driving nice cars you're gonna get sick of a base model truck fast. The nice thing about the rams is they have the largest wheel wells so on a 2" level you can run 35's fairly easy as long as you dont get too crazy offset wise. Depending on what you're after a leveled truck with some nice rims and meaty tires looks really good and not over the top and shouldnt cost you more than $3k new. Keep an eye on kijiji too and im sure you can find a nice set of rims for cheap.

check this site out and it should give you some ideas looks wise
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheel-offset-gallery?order=&make=Dodge&model=Ram+1500&year=2009&suspension=Leveling+Kit&page=7

mzdspd
05-30-2018, 09:57 AM
I would also skip over a SLT ram. especially a bare bones one like that.

I would look for a sport or laramie or even a more optioned out SLT.

Personally, I would look at something like this.. Just ask the owner about oil consumption. The 07-10 burned oil. I had a 08 and it burned around 1 qt per 1500k (truck had 250k on it) but I just kept an eye on it and never was an issue. The 11-13 did as well but not as bad.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/2011-gmc-sierra-1500-slt-z71-pickup-truck/1350784087?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Edit: or this one https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/gmc-sierra-1500-denali/1356979194?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

shakalaka
05-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. I am all over the place with what truck I want. One thing is for sure and that is I want a truck. I could go pick up a sports car like 350Z or something along the lines or a E46 M3 by adding more $ but some other projects I am going to be involved in a truck would make most sense and easiest justification to the family. Haha.

Tonight I am checking out a 2007 Chevy Colorado Xtreme. It's modded from the factory, lowered looks cool like the Tacoma Xrunner. So let's see how that goes. Basically I want something that's different than stock, either lifted or modded from the factor that somewhat looks good and different.

Disoblige
05-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Why does it have to be a truck though? Is it because you need the bed for something? Why can't it be like a Jeep or 4Runner for example? If I didn't have to put stuff in the truck bed, I would take something like that instead. Knowing you, you probably would be bored with a truck in 2 days, modified or not. :rofl:

I drive trucks all day where I am; it's so boring.

bjstare
05-30-2018, 11:49 AM
If you're trying to get a fun truck, the only things that are going to remotely satisfy you are the special ones. X-Runner is for sure at the top of that list, maybe an old ram SRT-10 with the viper engine in it, ford lightning, or if you want to quadruple your budget than a ford raptor. I've heard from a couple people that raptors are actually pretty fun DDs.

I will echo the sentiment though, that driving a normal (lightly modded) truck as a DD will be shitty. They're slow, don't handle well, don't ride nice, don't get good mileage, don't have good options.... there's no redeeming qualities to driving an average truck, unless you actually need it for truck purposes. Just my 2c.

shakalaka
05-30-2018, 12:08 PM
As mentioned due to some projects I am getting involved in, having a truck bed would be handy. Plus the only thing I won't get reamed out about by the wife cause I can justify it that way. Otherwise yes, I was open to anything fun like lifted Jeep's etc but can't quite go for that at the moment.

The Xrunner I checked out which had some physical blemishes which I don't care that much about but I happened to notice lot of rust in the wheel wells and all that. The seller wants $12,900 for it and said the lowest he would go is $12,200. I didn't wanna spend that much but I would go for it for something I really like and I really liked the looks of it and had fun driving the manual. But get this, I tell him I'd like to get it inspected at my shop and he said fine. Later messages me saying the $12,200 price is offered is only valid until tonight and was made AS-IS and not contingent on an inspection. I am like wtf...I understand it's as-is and I am not expecting you to give me a warranty but that shouldn't preclude me from getting an inspection on my own dime if I want. Anyway...that just kinda turned me off from the entire thing. Which is too bad cause it only had 120K km's. And that is the only Xrunner that I can see in Alberta lol. A blue and red shows up and apparently blue sold already.

That's why the Colorado Xtreme caught my attention cause it's somewhat similar to the Xrunner.

Few of the ones I am thinking about;

Just saw this one;

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2010-silverado-1500/1358910923?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Colorado Xtreme

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1355807601

Lots of these Rangers around but not sure about them; https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/edmonton/pickup+truck/page-7/c174l1700203a138?for-sale-by=ownr

benyl
05-30-2018, 12:24 PM
I hope you aren't planning on driving it in the winter. 2WD trucks like the X-Runner are terrible even with winter tires.

If I were you, I would rent a truck for 1 month to see if you can stand it.

ercchry
05-30-2018, 12:26 PM
get a truck if you're looking for a truck!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/medicine-hat/2007-f350-king-ranch/1355914480?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

shakalaka
05-30-2018, 12:28 PM
^ I don't mind the look of that actually but fuck Medicine Hat...and also mileage I wanna keep it under $200K as much as possible.

If I winter drive I would get winter tires and all that...in all likelihood I'd want to drive with them in the winter. I go lots of circuit courts so lots of highway driving, I would take this instead of putting the mileage on the other nicer vehicles.

ercchry
05-30-2018, 12:30 PM
^ I don't mind the look of that actually but fuck Medicine Hat...and also mileage I wanna keep it under $200K as much as possible.

If I winter drive I would get winter tires and all that...in all likelihood I'd want to drive with them in the winter. I go lots of circuit courts so lots of highway driving, I would take this instead of putting the mileage on the other nicer vehicles.

its a 6.0 diesel, 200k kms is the equivalent of like 60k kms on a gasser. for hwy, a king ranch with diesel is going to be hard to beat. also its a private sale! offer him close to list with the condition that he gets it to edmonton and i bet he jumps on it

shakalaka
05-30-2018, 12:41 PM
lol I guess I can think about it, although I don't really want to spend that much. But if I go for that one I should probably buy a gas station too? lol

ercchry
05-30-2018, 12:44 PM
lol I guess I can think about it, although I don't really want to spend that much. But if I go for that one I should probably buy a gas station too? lol

Diesel! Last one I owned (was a gmc) but I got 12L/100kms... at 140km/h :rofl:

They are basically just idling at hwy speed, and they don’t even need to down shift on hills

shakalaka
05-30-2018, 01:49 PM
How are the Titans? Nissan so reliable?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2006-nissan-titan-pickup-truck/1330914668?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

BerserkerCatSplat
05-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Colorado Xtreme

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1355807601

The 2.9L is fucking gutless and the Colorados are built like shit. I'd take a clapped-out Ranger over those turds.

mzdspd
05-30-2018, 03:02 PM
its a 6.0 diesel, 200k kms is the equivalent of like 60k kms on a gasser. for hwy, a king ranch with diesel is going to be hard to beat. also its a private sale! offer him close to list with the condition that he gets it to edmonton and i bet he jumps on it

Haha there is a reason that truck is cheap.. Those 6.0L diesels are junk.. Do not buy a 6.0 diesel.. Head stud/head gasket issues are so common on those.. and big $ to fix.

ercchry
05-30-2018, 03:18 PM
Haha there is a reason that truck is cheap.. Those 6.0L diesels are junk.. Do not buy a 6.0 diesel.. Head stud/head gasket issues are so common on those.. and big $ to fix.

HG has been done on that one

HiTempguy1
05-30-2018, 03:35 PM
How are the Titans? Nissan so reliable?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2006-nissan-titan-pickup-truck/1330914668?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

For the love of god, no.

Only good thing about them was the motor back when they first came out. We have a company one. Nothing like screaming that bitch to 6500rpm, she makes good noises. Everything else is awful, ergonomics, ride, sightline, mileage is beyond bad.

Those trucks were way ahead of their time in 2003. A 2006 is so far behind nowadays its not even funny. Also, pre 2009 they had bad rear axles.

Trucks aren't exciting or fun to drive. They can sound good, but the fastest regular trucks (tuned ecoboosts) sound bad. Diesels are even worse for DD'ing. Love my duramax, wanted to kill myself when daily driving it. The newer ones are even worse as they drive so big.

The most fun truck is the one you don't need to give a shit about.

dirtsniffer
05-30-2018, 03:41 PM
that ford is the way to go for sure.

bjstare
05-30-2018, 04:32 PM
That slammed 2010 silverado is actually pretty cool. The tiny engine would kill it for me though. That thing would be gutless.

That reminded me, another truck you might like is that same generation silverado/gmc can be had with a 6.2 (?) that actually sounds pretty good, and the stock wheels are pretty nice. Cos bought one a couple years back, and although I'm not really a truck guy I did like it.

SKR
05-30-2018, 04:36 PM
fuck Medicine Hat.

Hey now.

I don't know you but being that you're not a truck guy, I think you'd be happier/less unhappy with a lowered truck. I don't know about Ford or Dodge but you can lower GM 4x4 trucks a little bit so they handle better. And if you don't need 4x4 you can go way lower and it's not that expensive.

Maybe not this truck because they want $44,000US for it, but the stance is right on (if that's the kind of thing you're into) and cheap enough to replicate. (Edit: this is a 2wd, not 4wd.)

http://images.gatewayclassiccars.com/carpics/SCT/51/51r.jpg

03ozwhip
05-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Bumped into a guy from woodridge ford at the Driven show last weekend and they had a brand new f150 that was lowered with 4x4 and AWD(sorta) and it looked awesome.

That's what you should look into, an oldish(2010) f150 and talk to the guys at ATLAS and see what they can do for you.

shakalaka
05-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Bumped into a guy from woodridge ford at the Driven show last weekend and they had a brand new f150 that was lowered with 4x4 and AWD(sorta) and it looked awesome.

That's what you should look into, an oldish(2010) f150 and talk to the guys at ATLAS and see what they can do for you.

Any pics of what that would look like?

Thinking of checking this one out;

https://www.waterlooford.com/used/Ford/2009-Ford-F-150-68a4e5960a0e0adf329d1eb589cb545f.htm

Looks like a decent deal. Just need to get rid of that ugly canopy thing and then I can look into either putting as big of tires as I can go to lift it or lower it with other methods for that matter.

spikerS
05-30-2018, 10:55 PM

https://www.waterlooford.com/used/Ford/2009-Ford-F-150-68a4e5960a0e0adf329d1eb589cb545f.htm

Looks like a decent deal. Just need to get rid of that ugly canopy thing and then I can look into either putting as big of tires as I can go to lift it or lower it with other methods for that matter.

looks pretty decent to me. Not too familiar with the 4.6L though, but otherwise looks like a solid truck. Pretty similar to my old 2012.

03ozwhip
05-31-2018, 05:00 AM

Not the greatest pic, but you get the idea. Plus, I still dont remember how to embed lol
https://imgur.com/wr3q4Lf

shakalaka
05-31-2018, 09:07 AM
That looks good too although I am thinking if I go the F150 route I’d like the raised and big tires thigh better.

Gonna check out that 2009 above and if I go with it I think I’ll put a 2” level in the front. Some sort of big 33” tires once I figure out what kind and what rims and all that and some fender flares right away. Then maybe later exhaust and stuff but we will see about that.

It has that ugly canopy. Are they worth a lot? I was thinking of just leaving that with the dealer as I don’t want it or use it to get price reduced as I won’t ever use it.

ExtraSlow
05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
That looks good too although I am thinking if I go the F150 route I’d like the raised and big tires thigh better.

Gonna check out that 2009 above and if I go with it I think I’ll put a 2” level in the front. Some sort of big 33” tires once I figure out what kind and what rims and all that and some fender flares right away. Then maybe later exhaust and stuff but we will see about that.

It has that ugly canopy. Are they worth a lot? I was thinking of just leaving that with the dealer as I don’t want it or use it to get price reduced as I won’t ever use it.

For the F150, 2009 and newer has the six-speed transmission which will help your highway mileage noticeably. If you can get to 2011, the newer engines are a little more reliable, a lot more efficient, and more powerful as well.

Canopy probably has very little value on the used market.

ercchry
05-31-2018, 09:36 AM
$11k is steep for that pos 4.6L