PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 DL worth getting with conviction on abstract?

16hypen3sp
04-20-2018, 03:19 AM
I have been considering going through some Class 1 drivers training this year and getting my Class 1 drivers license.

However, if a person has an imperfect drivers abstract, is it even worth doing? I have been told that most transport companies are really picky when it comes to a drivers history. They only want clean abstracts, anything else goes in the trash.

I recently got a speeding ticket, I had a clean abstract up until then.

Just wondering if its something worth doing still.

03ozwhip
04-20-2018, 05:49 AM
It's just 1 speeding ticket, it's not like it's a DUI. You throw around the word conviction like you killed someone lol

schurchill39
04-20-2018, 07:31 AM
I got my class 1 when I turned 18 and at the time my drivers abstract was abysmal. The only company that would hire me was the one I was already working for and they made me do supplemental training to bring it down. My take away from it was 6 demerits is the upper limit tolerance of most companies, 3 or less is preferred. Additionally most companies will look at whether or not that 1 ticket was in a commercial vehicle or not and they go a little softer if it wasn't.

I am not sure about the current rules because it was a decade ago that I did it but my Class 1 training counted as driver training and was good to wipe off 3 demerits from my licence. Two years later I did a defensive driving course and got another 3 taken off. Then I realized maybe if I stopped driving like a dick maybe I wouldn't get as many tickets.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that right now (at least in oil and gas) there is a huge job market if you have your class 1 and are half competent. Even gravel trucks or other construction truck driving places need guys, except most of them make a point of not hiring oil field guys and would choose to starve. The only thing I see you having a hard time getting into with a ticket and no experience is low-boy transportation.

My_name_is_Rob
04-20-2018, 09:01 AM
I'll second Churchill. The amount of people hiring class 5's for trainee positions is quite high right now, so if you had your class 1 you're already ahead.

I took mine a while ago as well, but I'm not sure if it was the class 1 training, since most of it was 3rd party in house, or the GODI class I had to take that lost me some demerits.

I have never drove transport though, so I'm not really sure on how that is different from the rest.

16hypen3sp
04-20-2018, 09:33 PM
It's just 1 speeding ticket, it's not like it's a DUI. You throw around the word conviction like you killed someone lol

True, it's still before the court but it will probably end up as a conviction.

I got my class 1 when I turned 18 and at the time my drivers abstract was abysmal. The only company that would hire me was the one I was already working for and they made me do supplemental training to bring it down. My take away from it was 6 demerits is the upper limit tolerance of most companies, 3 or less is preferred. Additionally most companies will look at whether or not that 1 ticket was in a commercial vehicle or not and they go a little softer if it wasn't.

I am not sure about the current rules because it was a decade ago that I did it but my Class 1 training counted as driver training and was good to wipe off 3 demerits from my licence. Two years later I did a defensive driving course and got another 3 taken off. Then I realized maybe if I stopped driving like a dick maybe I wouldn't get as many tickets.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that right now (at least in oil and gas) there is a huge job market if you have your class 1 and are half competent. Even gravel trucks or other construction truck driving places need guys, except most of them make a point of not hiring oil field guys and would choose to starve. The only thing I see you having a hard time getting into with a ticket and no experience is low-boy transportation.

I'll second Churchill. The amount of people hiring class 5's for trainee positions is quite high right now, so if you had your class 1 you're already ahead.

I took mine a while ago as well, but I'm not sure if it was the class 1 training, since most of it was 3rd party in house, or the GODI class I had to take that lost me some demerits.

I have never drove transport though, so I'm not really sure on how that is different from the rest.

Thanks guys. You guys must be involved in fracking or something?

I just don't want to spend all the money on it just to be blocked from a transport job because of a speeding ticket if I decide on a career change later on down the road.

My_name_is_Rob
04-21-2018, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys. You guys must be involved in fracking or something?

I just don't want to spend all the money on it just to be blocked from a transport job because of a speeding ticket if I decide on a career change later on down the road.

I did a couple years of well servicing, when I was fresh out of high school, but that was about 8 years of post-secondary ago. One speeding ticket likely won't have much impact on your abstract, but it's generally the commercial infractions that they don't want to see.

16hypen3sp
04-21-2018, 01:31 AM
I did a couple years of well servicing, when I was fresh out of high school, but that was about 8 years of post-secondary ago. One speeding ticket likely won't have much impact on your abstract, but it's generally the commercial infractions that they don't want to see.

I see. Ok thanks.

stillworking
04-21-2018, 02:35 PM
IMO it's the experience piece that is more important. A couple of tickets shouldn't affect you when there is a shortage of drivers in the industry.

Rat Fink
04-21-2018, 09:52 PM

16hypen3sp
04-22-2018, 12:19 AM
^ That's the plan. I'll see what the Crown wants to do. Hoping for some movement on the demerits.