PDA

View Full Version : Nissan 300ZX???

86max
03-26-2004, 12:38 AM
I'm finishing school in a month, got a job lined up, and am already thinking of ways to spend the big bucks. I've decided a 91 and up 300ZX would look nice in my driveway, so I might get one in a few months as a summer car. I've done a search, didn't really come up with much, so I was wondering if anybody has some useful information, or experiences to share with me about these cars. Are they worth the money? Reliable? Is it worth paying more fot the twin-turbo? etc.. Any advice would be appreciated.

20incheyes
03-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Nissan and Toyota V6 you can't go wrond with, don't forget this and enjoy your 300ZX. as long as you're willing to not drive or cruise scared during the winter you'll enjoy, many parts, very solid engine, cheap mechanics, just get it, especially for the prices I've seen lately, maybe beat the rush

joegrang
03-26-2004, 10:56 AM
I got one no regrets car is not stupidly fast but gets a lot of looks make sure u get one that has had maintenance done or else u'll be sorry... I got one from the states and never had any real problems with it.. spend about 1000 per year on maintenance but the car purrs like a car even after 11 yrs

boostless
03-26-2004, 11:05 AM
great choice, if u do buy get the TT, the NA's u cant really get too much past 300 hp on without a lotta extensive work like a 5-angle valve job SGPracing offers,
easiest way to get one i thibnk is buy a NA one with high mileage, so u get it cheap, jus as long as the body is ok, and then swap a front clip, my brother did that on his, now has like 45 000 kms or something on his turbos, intercoolers, engine, tranny etc, coz finding a low mileage TT or one in good condition is pricey, the cheaper ones usually hav a lotta hidden dangers, such as blown injectors and what not
and if u do it that way u get some added bonuses, like an NA diff, which has a final drive ratio of 4.09 ish as opposed to 3.69, so ur a lil quicker i thnk? and then also none of that HICAS to worry about

GorG
03-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Yea TT's are mosters, thats all i can say, you can do really sick things, its almost like they have no limit, but see i was looking for a 300zx a while ago, but then i was told that insurance is huge, and i mean huge, some reason insurance copmpanies know whats going on with these cars, good luck

alpha_gangsta
03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
If you wanna get some more specific information, you can check out http://www.twinturbo.net. Alot of information out there and just do a search. Or even visit your local Z Club.

If you got the money... its better to start off with a Z32 that came factory TT'd. Most 300zx guys will tell you off the bat its often not worth doing the TT swap into an NA unless you really know what you're doing(aka, you can do it yourself and you have cheap accesibility to parts).
quick read for you if you wanna go NA->TT route
http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FAQpages/natott.html

86max
03-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have to go check that site now:D I don't have access to the stuff I'd need to do any major swaps, or friends who do, or too much of the brains for that matter, but from what I've been reading the last while the twin turbos in good condition are still running around 17g for a 91. I'd like to start off with one, but I might have to start in the 10-15g range, 15g at the absolute most, and thats with current car gone, stereo gone etc. lol

boostless
03-26-2004, 08:06 PM
well for 15, id go find a beat up NA n do the swap man
much better for ur money

Bubba-G-
03-27-2004, 09:36 AM
The swap isn't worth it, also if you do the swap most people use a jdm front clip but the jdm Z32TT's come with smaller turbos so you still don't even have as much power as a north american spec Z32tt, after all the work.
They are super reliable however they are getting older and little things start to break, I just had to get 3 spark plug connectors changed as the car was running weird.
Also they turn as many heads as most exotics.
Mine is for sale drop me a line if you wanna talk.

1990 Nissan 300zxtt

Bubba

LudeRoca
03-27-2004, 11:08 AM
I'd go with what Boostless is saying. My buddy bought a n/a one from the states for around 9 Grand. Got it shipped up here and then swapped a brand new twin turbo engine. THe car is mint. Prolly drives better than a stock twin turbo. It cost him 5 grand for the engine swap. Talk to sandman. Hes on here. I bet he could prolly get you one from the states for the same price he paid for his. Also he could get you the swap done.

boostless
03-27-2004, 03:20 PM
the smaller turbos were only on the auto ones werent they not on the 5spds, so thyed spool up quicker,

86max
03-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Well after doing some more research, the idea of buying a 90 and up with high kms, and doing a swap is sounding more appealing. I found an old post where sandman was mentioning Autodream doing a really good job on his. Anyways the hunt continues......thanks for the help.

el_fefes
04-01-2004, 02:53 PM
haha yeah sandman...i think it's boostless's brother?:dunno: his car is nice...i hear he runs 13's

300zxluva
04-01-2004, 03:48 PM
www.300zxclub.com

they have some kick ass tech advice.

boostless
04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
yeap, swap jus woprks out better and is way more reliable, and autodream would be the only peaple id let do something like that, nguyens a genius. Plus he's had absolutely no issues wiht the car as far as the swap was concerned, and he rides the car pretty hard too sometimes.
see wat they can do for a front clip shipped here, or look at www.flashoptions.com
and then leave the swap to them,

heres sorta like a chart thingy for u to look at

buying one stock TT
-higher insurance
-unless ur payin big bucks, finding a good condition one is hard, coz if u get em w/ something screwy, or that wasnt cared for, itll hit u hard for maintenance/repairs
-a swap will giv u the option of yanking out the A/C when ur doin it, saves u like 150 lbs and less strain on motor, one less pulley
-a swap will leave u with the N/A differential which is about 4.09, vs the TT one which is 3.69, so ur quicker right there too
-the one thing better w/ buying a stock TT is that the brakes are better on the TTs and suspensions a little better, but thas where mods come in :D