PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care

Jerms
04-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm sure many people are in the same boat but since most of the snow is melted off my lawn, I'm starting to realize how much work it's going to take to get my lawn back in to decent shape. As much as I want to spend most of my time power raking, re-seeding and fertilizing, I don't have enough time to do it myself. I've scoured Kijiji but there seems to be too many options, so if there's a company that someone can recommend and vouch for, that'll make the decision easier.

Thanks!

ExtraSlow
04-25-2018, 02:43 PM
Wheres that beyond dude who does power raking? That guy was fast and hard working.

Jerms
04-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Was it Goldrush Landscaping? I read a previous thread that the guy is no longer doing that shiz....

G-ZUS
04-25-2018, 03:14 PM
on the topic of landscaping companies, can anyone recommend some to grade a yard?

The_Penguin
04-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Yeah with all the snow, salt and deer/rabbits my lawns are in a bad way as well, as is my back, so will be looking for someone to at least power rake.

Jerms
05-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Yesterday some dude from Property Stars knocked on my door as they were doing yard work for my neighbors and around the community trying to reel me in on his services. I haven't done anything to my lawn this year and it was starting to look pretty gross lol. Anyways, he sold me on this 'Rejuvenation Plus' package which includes - dethatching/raking and bagging, over seeding, fertilization and aeration for a 'discounted' price of $252.0/$264 with GST. He took a quick guess as how big my lot size was - "under 50 ft wide, right?". The lot size is 60x100 and I offered him $240 and payment would be through credit card. He was generous on the seeding, raked up all the dead grass and explained to me that all I needed to do was water the grass for 30 minutes every night for the next 10-14 days. So we'll see how it looks in 7-10 days but was pretty happy with their service.

http://www.canadianpropertystars.com/rejuvenation/alberta.php

Lex350
05-29-2018, 02:51 PM
explained to me that all I needed to do was water the grass for 30 minutes every night for the next 10-14 days. So we'll see how it looks in 7-10 days but was pretty happy with their service.

http://www.canadianpropertystars.com/rejuvenation/alberta.php

This is the most important part. I used to do all those other things but now I just make sure I water heavily in the early spring and my lawn always comes in thick with no weeds. The only car I do is the one area where the dog does his damage. So in early spring I put my underground sprinklers to come on for 20 minutes every day @ 6am for two weeks. I then switch to every second day for 15 minutes.

bigbadboss101
05-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Those who have UG sprinklers are in luck. Set it to water few times in the morning. On our street those who have UG sprinkers are the ones with the best lawns provided they do the regular care. Next few days might be a good time to do some overseeding. If we get a few days of small precipitation as forecasted it would be nice.

A790
05-30-2018, 01:16 PM
Fewer but longer watering is better than shorter but frequent watering. The roots of the grass become more established and dig deeper, making them more resilient.

ExtraSlow
05-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Fewer but longer watering is better than shorter but frequent watering. The roots of the grass become more established and dig deeper, making them more resilient.

+1. Twice a week lots.

Lex350
05-30-2018, 01:42 PM

I would suggest time of day is just as important. Better to water in the early hours than mid day.

A790
05-30-2018, 01:49 PM
I would suggest time of day is just as important. Better to water in the early hours than mid day.

Agreed. My routine is 45 minutes Monday/Tuesday @ 6:30 am for Front/Back, and again Thurs/Fri.

Weeks with rain, or when its been cooler, lay off a bit.

bigbadboss101
05-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Might buy myself a couple timers and an extra hose. I am at work around 6:15am so no time to water in the morning.

rx7boi
05-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Couple days ago I picked up a 1L bottle of Killex which connects to my water hose for weed spraying. I definitely oversprayed since I pretty much used the entire bottle which is meant for 8800 sq ft apparently :rofl:

roopi
05-30-2018, 02:23 PM
Couple days ago I picked up a 1L bottle of Killex which connects to my water hose for weed spraying. I definitely oversprayed since I pretty much used the entire bottle which is meant for 8800 sq ft apparently :rofl:

Please post results. I've been considering trying this to see how it works.

bigbadboss101
05-30-2018, 02:31 PM

Does your entire lawn have weed mixed in? Ours have a few here and there and I bought the other stuff, the Eco sense but I haven't applied.

Brent.ff
05-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Can anyone tell me what kind of grass seed I should get for dog spots on my lawn. The last seed had was really whispy and didn’t blend at all

sabad66
05-31-2018, 10:18 AM
Can anyone tell me what kind of grass seed I should get for dog spots on my lawn. The last seed had was really whispy and didn’t blend at all

if it's just a few spots, maybe something like this?
https://www.rona.ca/en/dog-spot-grass-seed-907-g-12675232

According to the following article, Tall Fescue Kentucky 31 should be good against urine but not sure where you can find it here
http://lawngrasses.com/dog-traffic/#.WxAfUEgvyUk

nzwasp
05-31-2018, 10:24 AM
I sprayed my MIL lawn with the 1L killex on saturday, checked it again on tuesday and all the dandelions were curled and dead, no yellow flowers had popped up at all since saturday, I also sprayed both neigbors front lawns on both sides of her house, same result for them as well.

I used the same stuff last year on my own lawn and on the neigbours across the street (because their dandelion fluff always blows onto our corner lot and I did not have any dandelions last year.

Weedbgone by the way is shit. Do not use that.

bigbadboss101
05-31-2018, 11:02 AM
I sprayed my MIL lawn with the 1L killex on saturday, checked it again on tuesday and all the dandelions were curled and dead, no yellow flowers had popped up at all since saturday, I also sprayed both neigbors front lawns on both sides of her house, same result for them as well.

I used the same stuff last year on my own lawn and on the neigbours across the street (because their dandelion fluff always blows onto our corner lot and I did not have any dandelions last year.

Weedbgone by the way is shit. Do not use that.

Thanks for the info. We don't have too much but neighbors on our left (2 houses) and to our right both have plenty. Will pick up the Killex and return the other one. No harm to grass correct? Just stay away from trees, flowers and other growth.

A790
05-31-2018, 11:06 AM

If the grass is different than yours it will definitely stand out. I had the same issue, so I had my lawn aerated and then I overseeded everything. Now the entire lawn is a mix-mash, and thus it all blends. lol

rx7boi
05-31-2018, 11:10 AM
Please post results. I've been considering trying this to see how it works.

Does your entire lawn have weed mixed in? Ours have a few here and there and I bought the other stuff, the Eco sense but I haven't applied.

I didn't have alot of dandelions when I sprayed since I had used a tool to manually remove some another couple days prior. Now that it has been several days, some of the dandelions I missed have curled up and died. A couple of new ones have popped up, though.

I read through the instructions and it says Killex will kill weeds but it doesn't prevent new weeds from growing.

My lawn doesn't have much mixed in. It's mostly grass and small patches of dandelions here and there, no flowerbeds.

For the $20 bottle, I'm still neutral on it ATM but weeds have gotta go either way.

bigbadboss101
05-31-2018, 12:13 PM
Yeah for people who don't have a lot of weeds I think it's better to pluck it. I had one of the step on tool but my friend borrowed and broke it.
The spray kills the weed but don't prevent it so in the future since we don't have too many we will pluck manually. If the spray is gentle on grass and kills and prevents future weeds then it's a no brainer.

nzwasp
05-31-2018, 12:53 PM
Killex sprays and prevents future weeds on your grass (or it did for me), as long as you use the hose attachment. You can also reapply mid summer if you want. Yeah avoid flowers I accidently killed a bunch of tulips that way.

bjstare
05-31-2018, 02:56 PM
+1 for killex working great. Used it last year, and all dandelions shriveled and disappeared quite quickly.

jwslam
05-31-2018, 03:41 PM
How is the Killex stuff on crabgrass? Effective?

ExtraSlow
05-31-2018, 04:10 PM

There is no selective herbicide that works on crabgrass that doesn't kill all other forms of grass as well.

suntan
05-31-2018, 06:59 PM

Killex does zilch for crabgrass. You have to buy crabgrass killer.

Garden centres sell a small black-brown bottle that kills crabgrass. I have no idea what it is called.

ExtraSlow
05-31-2018, 07:44 PM
Killex does zilch for crabgrass. You have to buy crabgrass killer.

Garden centres sell a small black-brown bottle that kills crabgrass. I have no idea what it is called.

Interested to know what that product is. I looked once and was told such a product didn't exist. I would be stoked if it did.

suntan
05-31-2018, 11:17 PM
Give Golden Acre a call, I think they have it. I know for sure Sunnyside had it but they're closed forever as of tomorrow.

If you're okay with doing a bit of work, get RoundUp, a foam brush and a piece of cardboard. Put the cardboard behind the crabgrass and apply RoundUp using the foam brush. That'll kill it dead.

Brent.ff
06-01-2018, 07:40 AM
ok one more, what about dealing with clover?

ExtraSlow
06-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Clover should be killed by regular "broadleaf weed" killer. Although in my opinion clover is nice in a lawn. Soft, and fun for kids to mess with.

sabad66
06-01-2018, 11:01 AM

parents had a bad clover infestation before (black medic)... ended up picking up some concentrated Trillian off of a beyonder and it worked amazingly well to kill it. Had to buy a sprayer hose attachment thing to dilute it tho.

kertejud2
06-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Killex should get clover (Trillion as mentioned above, is the same as Killex and Par 3)

bigbadboss101
06-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Must say lawn is very nice after the rain we had. Not much rain in sight so I will aim to give it a nice soak every 2-3 days.

03ozwhip
06-03-2018, 11:56 AM
I fertilized and my BIL aerated for me. Watered about an hour every night for a couple weeks, now about an hour a couple nights a week if there is no rain.

Just used killex kn he little bit of dandelions forming, so I'm hoping that will make it perfect. I'll post a pic later today of how it looks.

The_Penguin
06-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Is Killex safe to use if you've seeded? I know some types of weed treatment aren't good for new growth.

nzwasp
06-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Anyone know what weed this is? 82214

suntan
06-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Interested to know what that product is. I looked once and was told such a product didn't exist. I would be stoked if it did.

I found it at Golden Acre. Unfortunately it's chickweed, clover and oxalis killer.

03ozwhip
06-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Here's what mine looks like. As you can see, the weeds aren't bad, but it's annoying enough to me to spray them. Obviously I'm missing a step to embed lol
https://imgur.com/Qu0mTcy

nj2Type-S
06-19-2018, 04:36 PM
does killex help repel dogs from going to your lawns? i’ve got a couple of brown spots from neighborhood dogs peeing on my lawn. any suggestions on how to repel animals from peeing on my lawn? thanks!

ExtraSlow
06-19-2018, 05:04 PM
does killex help repel dogs from going to your lawns? i’ve got a couple of brown spots from neighborhood dogs peeing on my lawn. any suggestions on how to repel animals from peeing on my lawn? thanks!

22LR should work.