PDA

View Full Version : Quikrete Post Haste for fence posts, how many bags?

NissanFanBoy
04-28-2018, 05:39 PM
I'm looking to do some fence posts soon, 6 x 6 feet posts, how many bags of Post Haste have you used in your experience?

According to their website, they list it for "Fast Setting Concrete Mix" at 13 bags if I do 3 feet deep!!! Sounds like a lot!! The mix will cost more than that wood?!!? WTF!

I'm talking about this product, which the calculator doesn't have...it says on the bag but not for 6x6, just 4x4 posts...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.post-haste-concrete-mix-25kg.1000166225.html

spikerS
04-28-2018, 06:50 PM
Don't use post haste. you are paying a premium for it when it isn't needed.

Pick up the 30kg yellow bags of quikcrete from HD, they are $5.97 each and the cheapest around. When I am building 6x6 fences, I go down 48" with a 12" wide auger bit, and place 2 x 30kg bags in each and then top fill with clay and soil.

Also, rent a concrete mixer from HD, its like $75 for the day, can fit 2 30kg bags in it for each mix, and makes things go a lot faster and saves you a TON of work. it is well worth it.

NissanFanBoy
04-28-2018, 07:09 PM
Ya that's probably what I'll end up doing...I just figured the post haste would've used 2 maybe 3 bags per hole, not 13 lol

ianmcc
04-28-2018, 07:17 PM
When I did the fence on one side of the house I used 51 bags of Quickcrete for 17 posts down 42" (36" plus 6" of gravel at the bottom). Dug all 17 by hand with a post hole digger. And used my kids plastic turtle pool to mix the Quickcrete in.

NissanFanBoy
04-28-2018, 07:19 PM
Isn't the point of Quickrete so that you just dump the bag in and add water?????? Or you mean you used the regular stuff, not the Post Haste..

Also, my fence is going to be 6 feet tall...is it really necessary to go down 42 inches?..the posts I'm buying are 6x6x10.

So you used 3 bags per post basically? Good to know...I don't know why the stupid website says 13 per post, wtf, that sounds incredibly wrong.

colsankey
04-28-2018, 07:25 PM
The point of digging deep is to get below the frost line and avoid your new fence being thrown up by mother nature in the freeze thaw cycles we have. 36" is the recommended minimum for Canada from what I've read and some places suggest 48. 42" seems the happy medium.

NissanFanBoy
04-28-2018, 07:36 PM
The point of digging deep is to get below the frost line and avoid your new fence being thrown up by mother nature in the freeze thaw cycles we have. 36" is the recommended minimum for Canada from what I've read and some places suggest 48. 42" seems the happy medium.

Okay, just wondering...I'm hiring someone to dig the holes, so I'm assuming they would know lol otherwise I'm going to be real mad if he shows up with a 3 foot drill bit.

NissanFanBoy
04-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Don't use post haste. you are paying a premium for it when it isn't needed.

Pick up the 30kg yellow bags of quikcrete from HD, they are $5.97 each and the cheapest around. When I am building 6x6 fences, I go down 48" with a 12" wide auger bit, and place 2 x 30kg bags in each and then top fill with clay and soil.

Also, rent a concrete mixer from HD, its like $75 for the day, can fit 2 30kg bags in it for each mix, and makes things go a lot faster and saves you a TON of work. it is well worth it.

I remember reading you do this for people, I'm going to trust you...but curious, why only a 12inch wide hole, shouldn't it be 3 times your post width, so 18?

And dumb question...do you buy gravel to fill the bottom too?

spikerS
04-28-2018, 08:35 PM
I remember reading you do this for people, I'm going to trust you...but curious, why only a 12inch wide hole, shouldn't it be 3 times your post width, so 18?

And dumb question...do you buy gravel to fill the bottom too?

you could do 18" wide holes, but try finding someone with a skidsteer that can do 18" holes for a reasonable price. Also, the wider the hole, the more concrete you will need per post. with those 30kg bags, use 2, and you have 132lbs on the bottom of each post. I also don't like doing 18" holes because it can interfere with underground sprinkler line runs and such. it's just a big added expense that isn't needed. you are just looking to get a bunch of weight on the post below the top 10-12" of grass level as an anchor. Also, no, i do not use gravel in the bottom of the post holes. again, added expense that is not needed. People put it there for drainage, but in all honesty, it's not an issue in the Calgary area to be worried about.

If I do a 4x4 fence, i get 8" holes dug. a 4x6 or 6x6, and it is 12" holes. And trust me, I can come back to any of my fences years later, and they are still rock solid.

spikerS
04-28-2018, 08:45 PM

NissanFanBoy
04-28-2018, 08:50 PM
Awesome thanks for the tips man! Ya I live in a modest cookie cutter two story house in Airdrie, not building some fancy beyond baller fence haha

speedog
04-28-2018, 09:35 PM
C'mon now, beyond ballers don't build fences. They pay grunts to do such.