PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to overseed my lawn?

Tik-Tok
04-28-2018, 06:29 PM
I've never really over-seeded my lawn before except the dead patches from my dog. The past couple of years both front and back lawns have turned to shit so I'm going to try seeding it this year. I know fall was probably the better time to do it, but for a spring seeding, is it too early?

freshvibes
04-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Now is perfect. The weather is still mild enough where the hot sun won't completely dry out your soil after you water it. Just water liberally for 2 weeks to keep your soil damp and you're good. Throw down some fert with 5% iron while you're at it and you'll have a nice lush green lawn for the season.

ExtraSlow
04-28-2018, 07:10 PM
You want the soil to be thawed. I know some areas of my yard are still frozen.

My suggestion is to power rake, aerate, seed and top dress.

J-hop
04-28-2018, 11:28 PM
What kind of seed do you plan on using? I have the same issue (dogs), can never seem to get grass to grow, nothing seems to be resistant to urine

Darell_n
04-28-2018, 11:32 PM
It's never too early to seed. I've done it many times in the Fall and early Winter when I was young and in commercial landscaping.

ExtraSlow
04-29-2018, 07:12 AM
What kind of seed do you plan on using? I have the same issue (dogs), can never seem to get grass to grow, nothing seems to be resistant to urine
Not sure of the urine resistance but check out the fescue mix from bow point nursery. Very hardy and drought tolerant.

A790
04-29-2018, 07:34 AM
I'd aerate and/or power rake before over seeding. I'm waiting until Mid-May for both.

BokCh0y
04-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Should be power rake, then aerate, then, over seed. Like the pr principal says, I too wait for mid-may before doing this. Also I like to get the lawn over seeded before June because June's supposed to be our rainy month, so it's free water.

A790
04-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Should be power rake, then aerate, then, over seed. Like the pr principal says, I too wait for mid-may before doing this. Also I like to get the lawn over seeded before June because June's supposed to be our rainy month, so it's free water.

Exactly.

Also, the odds of snow between now and mid/late May are pretty high...

bigbadboss101
04-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Aerate every 2nd year should be reasonable? Was going to overseed today but might do one app of fertilizer next week and then seed mid May.

J-hop
04-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Not sure of the urine resistance but check out the fescue mix from bow point nursery. Very hardy and drought tolerant.

Didn’t go to bow point but picked up a 55% fescue mix from Home Depot today, going to try that, says it’s good for shade which is a plus as although my yard is s/sw facing most of the yard is shadowed by the garage

Rowdy
05-07-2018, 09:37 AM
After aeration, should you leave the plugs or rake them up?

vengie
05-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Leave them, they provide nutrients to the lawn as they dry out and break down.

sabad66
05-07-2018, 10:29 AM

leave them