PDA

View Full Version : Matte/frozen paint scratch repair?

shakalaka
04-30-2018, 08:43 PM
So looks like some lowlife keyed the side of my car the other day when I was watching a movie. The scratches aren't deep by any means (do not catch my fingernails) but they are visible, especially to someone who's OCD like me. On the passenger side door handle there are few swirlies that are thin and white and visible when the paint is dry and in sunlight and there are some that run across the door and fender. I understand matte paint is a pain to do anything so not sure if getting the whole door and fender painted is my only option or if there is a product out there that I could use to hide them.

I was also caught in a winter/rock chip storm on one of the trips from Edmonton to Calgary and the front has a lot of rock chips just from that one trip. Ideally I'd like to address that issue as well if possible. The chips aren't visible unless you're right up close to them as they are not white or any other colour. But up close they are tiny little indents all over. This I was coming to terms with but the keyed scratches on the side are really bothering me and I am wondering what I can do.

Is filing a vandalism claim with the insurance company recommended? I don't want my premium to go up and I don't think they are a huge at all so the appraiser might just laugh but I am sure if I have to get the whole door and fender painted it probably won't be cheap? But if I was going the insurance route I would want something done for the front bumper at the same time too and then maybe ceramic coat the car after. Problem is that it's a lease and I won't keep it over a year in all likelihood, so don't want to end up throwing too much money at it either like I did with my M3 by xpel'ing it all pretty much and selling after 6 months.

Ideas?

killramos
04-30-2018, 09:02 PM
That sucks, I have nothing else to add but this is why I would never go frozen/magno paint on a DD.

I don’t think you have a lot of options. Maybe get in contact with a specialty detail shop on what your options are. I doubt anything is going to be inexpensive. Likely far more than a ppf job to fix all that.

ExtraSlow
04-30-2018, 09:11 PM
I don’t think you have a lot of options. either pay too much to get it fixed or learn to relax and leave it.

People who lease cars shouldn't be investing in them like you do.

XylathaneGTR
05-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Looks like you found a reason to change cars again!
But yeah, ExtraSlow broke it down for you. Accept it or pay too much to fix it (by repainting or wrapping the car - silly for a lease, but if you're gonna lose sleep over the scratches...)

rage2
05-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Wrap the area with scratches with CF vinyl and pretend you have an R8 with carbon blades. Problem solved.

shakalaka
05-01-2018, 09:47 AM
either pay too much to get it fixed or learn to relax and leave it.

People who lease cars shouldn't be investing in them like you do.

Basically this is where I am at. I just thought I’d see if there are relatively cheap fixes as the scratches are somewhat minor.

I am sure if I was keeping it for the entire lease term then the dealership might care but since I am most likely gonna trade it in next year or something they won’t care in that case.

And for the record, the thought of switching cars now because of this did cross my mind lol but I’ve got to keep this one for at least a year no mater what. Haha.

Just the thought of people being so disrespectful to other people’s property pisses me off so damn much. It’s absolutely pathetic. As a strange and weird coincidence, our brand new Range Rover also has a scratch scraped in in the shape of a ‘R’ at the back by window on the plastic piece. Thankfully not on the paint on that one. Just freaky cause I don’t think these are same people as the cars don’t usually travel in same circles. Just so freaking unbelievably annoying.

spike98
05-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Are you sure its even vandalism? The one time i was keyed, it was blatant and to the metal. If its light, maybe someone was rubbing up against it to squeeze by and the nipple brass things on their jeans scratched it?

Vandalism claims also wont cause your rates to rise as it will be a comprehensive claim.

shakalaka
05-01-2018, 11:14 AM
The only reason I think it's vandalism is because it's at a few different spots. I suppose it could be just some retard trying to dry hump the side of my car as well.

killramos
05-01-2018, 11:28 AM
I hate people.

ExtraSlow
05-01-2018, 11:45 AM
... the nipple brass things on their jeans .... Rivets, those are rivets.

spikerS
05-01-2018, 01:29 PM
The only reason I think it's vandalism is because it's at a few different spots. I suppose it could be just some retard trying to dry hump the side of my car as well.

Sorry about that....:love:

C4S
05-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Not much you can do ..

Even some cars look sick with Matte/Frozen paint, but I won't even consider after so much headache I have seen ..

Either wrap the whole car with matte wrap from the beginning .. (but that is like $5K + job) or as Rage said, wrap it now ...

Summer vehicles such as Av, F12, 650, AMG GTR etc are fine, not going to see rock chips much, and less than 5000km/yr ..

heavyD
05-01-2018, 03:14 PM
How difficult is it to match matte paints? It's a shame because if it's not deep you could possibly polish it out if it was normal paint.

rage2
05-01-2018, 03:25 PM
How difficult is it to match matte paints? It's a shame because if it's not deep you could possibly polish it out if it was normal paint.
Tough. You also can't spot paint matte paint (at least that was the case 2 years ago). You have to repaint the panel. if it's on a rear 1/4 panel, it's a huge job depending on car. A pillar, roof, etc. If it doesn't match, repaint again till it does.

rlim891
05-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately matte paint cannot be polish, wetsanded or spot fix etc. This is why it may be sometime wise to wrap it.

If the scratches aren't too deep, you can ask a shop to wrap it with clear matte ppf to see if that will hide some of the scratches.

For this I would recommend xpel stealth over Suntek because of its roughness.

relyt92
05-01-2018, 10:28 PM
Vandalism claims also wont cause your rates to rise as it will be a comprehensive claim.

Not necessarily, some companies give discounts for going a few years without a comprehensive claim that you'd lose if you put a vandalism claim through. They won't raise your rates but they will remove your discount.

Mitsu3000gt
05-01-2018, 10:42 PM
It's a lease, just leave it. If it's minor who cares, you give the car back in I assume less than 4 years. "Wear and tear" is a pretty huge margin with most manufacturers. If you are going to buy it out at the end and try to turn a profit, then I would look at fixing it better, but you can make that decision later in case you change your mind.

Most likely your only reasonable option is a wrap anyway due to the paint type, so I'd just remind yourself its a lease and try to forget about it.

rage2
05-01-2018, 11:27 PM
The problem is he has a scratch that goes across the door and fender. Pretty sure he can’t return the car with that kind of damage so he has to fix it at some point. Then he has to deal with how anal the bmw inspection is for paint matching.

Black cars ftw on leases. Easiest color to match and spot paint haha.

Mitsu3000gt
05-01-2018, 11:46 PM
The problem is he has a scratch that goes across the door and fender. Pretty sure he can’t return the car with that kind of damage so he has to fix it at some point. Then he has to deal with how anal the bmw inspection is for paint matching.

Black cars ftw on leases. Easiest color to match and spot paint haha.

If they are so minor he can't even get a fingernail in it, do you think the dealer will still ding him for that?

And the rock chips, I don't know what the BMW lease agreement says but mine says this...not sure if it's standard or not:

• Stone chips
• Up to 15 chips on hood or front bumper
• Up to 5 chips per panel on other body panels
• Minor dings or dents to body panels that do not break the paint and fit within the
measurement on the Wear and Tear Card (max. 3 per panel)
• Scuffs or light scratches with no paint damage
• Cleanable road tar

• Scratches or etching that are smaller than the Wear and Tear Card (approximately
10 cm x 7.5 cm)
• Small chips < 3.2 mm without cracks (max. 3)

If he can't even get a fingernail in that, I'd argue that's a "light scratch". But maybe BMW are lease return Nazi's haha.

shakalaka
05-02-2018, 12:45 AM
Perhaps I wasn’t clear. The scratches aren’t a one long stretch. Like a couple of inches on part of the door and then some a little bit down and then some further little bit down. It isn’t continuous. Only visible when the car is dry and under sunlight otherwise can’t really tell. As for when the time comes for returning the lease, like I said if I am turning it in before the period the is up and trading it for something else then I am sure they won’t care much. It’s only if I am returning it at the end of my actual term which is unlikely knowing me. Last car I traded in with a cracked windshield and it wasn’t an issue. So I doubt they would look at it closely or at the rock chips on the bumper for that matter. Thanks for all the comments so far. I’ve been speaking to a local shop and sent them pics and they think covering it under a wrap may be the only option but they want me to bring it in so they can check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics..

speedog
05-02-2018, 01:06 AM
Doesn't really look like vandalism, just regular parking lot wear and tear.

Buster
05-02-2018, 01:34 AM
scratched paint?

Time for a new car.

spike98
05-02-2018, 07:02 AM
Doesn't really look like vandalism, just regular parking lot wear and tear.

Yea, after seeing the pictures, I agree. Some fat broad rubbed up against your shit in the walmart parking lot.

rage2
05-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Yea, after seeing the pictures, I agree. Some fat broad rubbed up against your shit in the walmart parking lot.
With nipple brass things on their jeans.

ExtraSlow
05-02-2018, 08:12 AM
with nipple brass things on their jeans.

***triggered***

rage2
05-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Googled up the BMW Canada lease return guide.

http://www.bmwottos.ca/pdf/End_Of_Lease_Brochure_Eng.pdf

I can't tell if those scratches are just on the matte coat or into the paint. If it's into the paint, that's unacceptable for lease return. Then you have to deal with the mismatched paint criteria.

Poor repairs that do not meet manufacturer’s specifications (e.g., misaligned parts, mismatched paint, distorted body panels);

Scratches and scuffs that penetrate the paint, regardless of size;
Hopefully just surface scratches on the matte coat making it look white, and not bare metal there.

edit - Dr Beaseley link says it's just matte clear coat damage that causes it to look white so should be OK.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2013/01/14/matte-scratch-fever-solving-scratches-in-matte-paint/

infamous
05-02-2018, 08:25 AM
from my experience (17 years detailing) it does not look like the scratches have penetrated the paint. At this stage the only thing you can do to make it look better is install film over top which helps hide a lot of the imperfections. I believe the film would make a world of difference in making those disappear. plus in the future the film would protect against brass nipple things on peoples jeans.

killramos
05-02-2018, 08:27 AM
I am surprised there isn’t a targeted sand and spot spray matte clear coat type option out there.

In theory if the damage is to the clear then shouldn’t repairing the clear be an option of some kind?

rage2
05-02-2018, 09:16 AM
I am surprised there isn’t a targeted sand and spot spray matte clear coat type option out there.

In theory if the damage is to the clear then shouldn’t repairing the clear be an option of some kind?
The problem with matte paint is the clearcoat is uneven to create the matte effect. It needs to be consistently uneven so it doesn't look patchy.

For glossy clear coat the repairs are possible because you can spot repair the area, which makes it looks patchy, but then you polish it so that it's evenly smooth to remove the inconsistency.

This is also why matching matte panels is next to impossible. You spray a new panel, and you can't get the same uneven consistency as the original panel so it ends up looking like a different shade. Over on the MB forums, there's a bunch of posts of people ordering matte cars, it comes damage, and taking 8 resprays of the damaged panel before it was acceptable.

dirtsniffer
05-02-2018, 09:31 AM
post is 3 days old. OP probably doesn't even own the car anymore.

killramos
05-02-2018, 09:32 AM
The problem with matte paint is the clearcoat is uneven to create the matte effect. It needs to be consistently uneven so it doesn't look patchy.

For glossy clear coat the repairs are possible because you can spot repair the area, which makes it looks patchy, but then you polish it so that it's evenly smooth to remove the inconsistency.

This is also why matching matte panels is next to impossible. You spray a new panel, and you can't get the same uneven consistency as the original panel so it ends up looking like a different shade. Over on the MB forums, there's a bunch of posts of people ordering matte cars, it comes damage, and taking 8 resprays of the damaged panel before it was acceptable.

How do the special matte wax products work?

This thread is giving me heartburn, this would literally burn a hole in my skull.

ExtraSlow
05-02-2018, 09:40 AM
Hey, now he's got the good advice he needed, and also probably sold the car, can I just say that thread title made me assume this was his car :

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is giving me heartburn, this would literally burn a hole in my skull.
I wouldn't even consider buying a car with at least this much paint damage. Having a car with a flawless paint job would give me heartburn.

killramos
05-02-2018, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't even consider buying a car with at least this much paint damage. Having a car with a flawless paint job would give me heartburn.

I am unreasonably bothered by the dumbest things. There is a bug splat on the front of my car this morning that I can’t get out of my mind. I can literally see it. Took the microfibre out of my trunk to wash it on the weekend...

rage2
05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
How do the special matte wax products work?

https://www.autoglym.com/blog/2017/01/16/caring-for-matt-and-satin-paint-finishes/

Yea, I would never buy matte paint. All my matte cars were metallic black, with Xpel matte film over it to act as a matte clear coat. That way I have endless supply of consistency from the Xpel film to create the matte effect vs the variability of trying to spray it on perfectly with paint. Even then, it's not guaranteed to be perfect, the Xpel films have small consistency issues between rolls as well.

I am unreasonably bothered by the dumbest things. There is a bug splat on the front of my car this morning that I can’t get out of my mind. I can literally see it. Took the microfibre out of my trunk to wash it on the weekend...
For matte paint, you have to wash off bug splatter immediately. That shit bakes into the matte clear and fucks up the consistency as well haha.

A lot of people protect their matte cars with Xpel stealth matte film, which is silly because you might as well get cheaper glossy paint and throw on the matte film like I did. I wonder how the matte paint looks when you remove the film, that glue can't be good for the original matte clearcoat either.

jaylo
05-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Looks like regular wear and tear. Especially when the vehicle is dirty, closing the door using hands at that location or passerby's in the parking lot dragging purses, etc...

BTW, do you live in West Hillhurst? I've seen a frozen grey E92 and RR SVR in the same block radius.

killramos
05-02-2018, 10:04 AM
I had a couple stains on the BMW from tree sap on the clear. But I knew I could fix those if I ever wanted to. Ppf stains even more easily and I always clean it off ASAP.

Again took the microfibre out of the car and only saw it once I was at work, otherwise I would have cleaned it.

I hesitate driving to my parents in my car because the trees there spray so much sap in spring and summer lol. I also won’t park the AMG in front of my house because of leaf buds.

Again, these are the dumb things that I think about.

Btw it has nothing to do with the value of the car, I did the same thing with my 10k GTI. Entirely reflects on my nature lol

shakalaka
05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
from my experience (17 years detailing) it does not look like the scratches have penetrated the paint. At this stage the only thing you can do to make it look better is install film over top which helps hide a lot of the imperfections. I believe the film would make a world of difference in making those disappear. plus in the future the film would protect against brass nipple things on peoples jeans.

When you say install a film, I think this is what the local shop I've been emailing is saying as well. But I am confused though. So would you wrap the entire door and fender with the film or would you cut the film in a way that it only goes over the scratches? If the latter, then isn't visible from close being a little raised service cut in a certain shape glued on the door?

post is 3 days old. OP probably doesn't even own the car anymore.

Not this time. I am resisting the temptaion.

I am the exact same way. It gets super tedious to be honest. Part of the reason why I decided to lease (other than switching) was exactly that I could start caring less and not have my blood pressure high all the time. It's certainly better after the lease, although as you can tell, not gone away completely. In fact, I have a bird poo or a bug splatter spot on the hood by the BMW emblem, I haven't bothered touching for the couple of days it has been there. lol. Sometimes feel like freedom a little to not care.

Looks like regular wear and tear. Especially when the vehicle is dirty, closing the door using hands at that location or passerby's in the parking lot dragging purses, etc...

BTW, do you live in West Hillhurst? I've seen a frozen grey E92 and RR SVR in the same block radius.

I am in Edmonton mostly, but when in Calgary every now and then on weekends my parents are in the Aspen/Wentworth Estates area.

Mitsu3000gt
05-02-2018, 11:32 AM
If that was intentional vandalism, that is the weirdest keying I have ever seen. Really doesn't look like it IMO.

XylathaneGTR
05-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Not this time. I am resisting the temptaion.

I give it two weeks.

infamous
05-02-2018, 01:20 PM
When you say install a film, I think this is what the local shop I've been emailing is saying as well. But I am confused though. So would you wrap the entire door and fender with the film or would you cut the film in a way that it only goes over the scratches? If the latter, then isn't visible from close being a little raised service cut in a certain shape glued on the door?

you would wrap the entire door, and fender. Both sides if you care about it matching that close (you can only see one side at a time? lol).

If you would wrap an individual spot it would definitely be noticeable and would be prone to peeling a lot quicker and easier than wrapping the whole panel.

heavyD
05-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Tough. You also can't spot paint matte paint (at least that was the case 2 years ago). You have to repaint the panel. if it's on a rear 1/4 panel, it's a huge job depending on car. A pillar, roof, etc. If it doesn't match, repaint again till it does.

I'm too OCD and couldn't handle that as it sounds like you have to live with imperfections. If I get a chip or scratch I will obsess over it until it's corrected.