PDA

View Full Version : Garage Flooring - Polyaspartic / Other options?

BavarianBeast
05-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody can recommend a garage flooring contractor in Calgary? From my research it looks like polyaspartic coating in the best, has anybody used anything else?
Cheers

Buster
05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
is that different than epoxy?

You should get a big "QUATTO" silk-screened into the floor. lol

BavarianBeast
05-01-2018, 04:50 PM
It’s supposed to be more durable than epoxy.

It was QUATTNO lol, but 3/6 of my vehicles are BMW so I’ll have to figure out something different ;)

Buster
05-01-2018, 04:53 PM
i forgot that quattro wouldnt work...haha.

maybe just go with a plain floor. i need to re-do the garage floor as well. And I'm thinking about installing a lift to fit another car. So might do it all at once.

kenny
05-02-2018, 10:41 AM
I had my garage floor done by Elite Coatings. They do both epoxy and polyaspartic coatings. I went with the Epoxy as I saw no benefit going to the polyaspartic coating. If you're working with harsh chemicals often it may be something to consider.

These guys were great :) They removed everything in my garage, did the work over 2 days then moved everything back in for me.

https://elitecoatings.ca/our-products/

Swank
05-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Here's my mini review of Garage Granite from a few years ago (with pics). Still loving my flooring, time to rinse it off now that the snow is gone so I can see how purdy it is again :)

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/369112-Garage-floor?p=4476588#post4476588

88CRX
05-02-2018, 11:19 AM
I had my garage floor done by Elite Coatings. They do both epoxy and polyaspartic coatings. I went with the Epoxy as I saw no benefit going to the polyaspartic coating. If you're working with harsh chemicals often it may be something to consider.

These guys were great :) They removed everything in my garage, did the work over 2 days then moved everything back in for me.

Rough ft2 costs?

Any pictures? And did they throw down sand or something to keep it grippy in the winter?

JRSC00LUDE
05-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Rough ft2 costs?

Any pictures? And did they throw down sand or something to keep it grippy in the winter?

Granted it's in a different City but I just priced some polyaspartic this week for a commercial job, little over $9.00/sf. I just completed a nice epoxy coat with colour flake on another project at $5.50/s.f.

Buster
05-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Granted it's in a different City but I just priced some polyaspartic this week for a commercial job, little over $9.00/sf. I just completed a nice epoxy coat with colour flake on another project at $5.50/s.f.

Was that $5.50 for everything including labour, or did you do it yourself for $5.50?

Chandler_Racing
05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Been wanting to do this for a while.

My neighbour used Ultimate Garage and his is quite nice but expensive.

Price has me second guessing though, have an oversized triple and suspect it's going to be a fair bit of coin.

BavarianBeast
05-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Got a few quotes and they were around $5-$6/sf for epoxy and $7/sf for polyaspartic.

I think I will be going with Garage Living as they seemed to be the most professional and seem to do the most prep work.

Going to go 6” up the walls and getting the strairs done too.

killramos
05-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Got a few quotes and they were around $5-$6/sf for epoxy and $7/sf for polyaspartic.

I think I will be going with Garage Living as they seemed to be the most professional and seem to do the most prep work.

Going to go 6” up the walls and getting the strairs done too.

Do you currently have a pony wall or are they just going to go up the drywall?

I’m interested in doing the same but my garage isn’t as level as I would like it to be and I’m worried about water ruining the edges and drywall with snow melting off the cars in the winter.

bwling
05-02-2018, 02:33 PM
The Garage Store did my polyaspartic flooring 2 years ago. I got them to wrap it up the walls to where it meets the drywall and the stairs as well, averaging ~$7/sqft. Just power washed it last week and looks practically brand new.

Really pleased with their workmanship. Their product also comes with a 20 year warranty (most other places were 10 or less at the time I got quotes).

kenny
05-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Rough ft2 costs?

Not a great pic but it's the only one I took. Mine looks exactly like post above except more gloss.

https://i.imgur.com/X6YRteP.png

About $6/sqft. I think their original quote was $7? before discount. They charged more for the stub walls, closer to $10 iirc. A bit pricey, but after watching them do everything (especially the prep stage) I wouldn't ever take this on myself haha.

I forgot to ask for anti-slip stuff to be applied, and was going to ask them to come back to do it but it was only slippery when it was brand new or if I'm using soap when washing the cars.

JRSC00LUDE
05-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Was that $5.50 for everything including labour, or did you do it yourself for $5.50?

That was all in from the vendor we hired. Real all in, not Enrich all in. It looks like your local pricing is relatively the same by the subsequent comments.

BavarianBeast
05-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Do you currently have a pony wall or are they just going to go up the drywall?

I’m interested in doing the same but my garage isn’t as level as I would like it to be and I’m worried about water ruining the edges and drywall with snow melting off the cars in the winter.

I’m putting in some 6” baseboards and they will take the coat up them.

I think they will level it out with their industrial concrete grinder but who knows, I guess it would depend on how out of level it is.

I originally thought about doing the project myself as well but after watching a crew the other day I figured I would let the professionals handle it lol.

killramos
05-02-2018, 05:43 PM
I’m having the same debate.

I’m not too far or if spec but I get a bit of pooling in one corner which freezes and doesn’t flow out. Even a couple mil of extra epoxy would probably do the trick to get it to flow out the door.

ExtraSlow
05-02-2018, 06:17 PM
How's this shit handle floors that are chipping? Group buy?

BavarianBeast
05-02-2018, 07:27 PM
How's this shit handle floors that are chipping? Group buy?

They will fill all the chips and cracks before applying the coating.

G
05-02-2018, 08:27 PM
I used Ultimate Garage a few years ago. Did it all the way up the foundation wall.

https://i.imgur.com/mRnw7sc.jpg

goldfish168
05-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Anybody experience problems after driving on these coatings with studded tires?

For anyone brave enough wanting to try to DIY, here's a couple of local suppliers:
http://www.terrafuse.ca
http://www.polymersciencecorp.com/

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 03:24 PM
If anyone gets a coating, make sure you get the installers to do the bottom 6-12" up the wall as well.

Asian_defender
05-03-2018, 03:31 PM
I gave Terrafuse a call, didn't catch the name of the guy that answered my call but he was a great help.
DIY will run about $1500 in materials if you want to go with the decorative flake route. About $11150ish if you go with it.
Prep is the most important thing, he recommended me looking for contractors that will do just the prep work as they'll have all of the tools to do it.
If you have studded tires the Polyaspartic does not fair well, you'll need something like techflooring to prevent it from ripping away at it

I was thinking about giving it a shot. It'll be about $1200 cheaper than getting someone to do the whole thing. It would certainly beat resealing my garage floor every 2 years with that shit from northland concrete

88CRX
05-03-2018, 03:35 PM
On a new build should you wait for the garage slab to settle and crack before coating it or get it done right away?

Swank
05-04-2018, 02:48 PM
If anyone gets a coating, make sure you get the installers to do the bottom 6-12" up the wall as well.

Really? That seems a bit excessive. I'm happy with 4", has more of a baseboard look to it. Maybe more is recommended for scenarios that don't apply to how I use my garage :dunno:

HiSpec
06-10-2021, 01:07 AM
Instead of creating a new post, I will bring this one back from the dead.

How is everyone's floor coating holding up? For the ones with studded tires, how bad did the tires damage the coating?

Any recommendation on who to go with for garage coating with Polyaspartic flakes?
Is it normal for them to offer garage wall sanding and painting service?

Ekliptix
06-10-2021, 08:51 AM
I can't answer that, but I've been looking a waterproof vinyl flooring as an alternative, since it offers some amazing textures. Specifically, MSI Stone Waterproof Rocky Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring. It's under $2/sqft.
https://www.msisurfaces.com/blogs/post/2020/10/08/can-vinyl-plank-flooring-be-used-in-a-garage.aspx

https://www.msisurfaces.com/blogs/image.axd?picture=%2f2020%2f10%2fbraly_lvt+flooring+for+garage+tool+room_msi2.jpg

A2VR6
06-10-2021, 04:42 PM
Instead of creating a new post, I will bring this one back from the dead.

How is everyone's floor coating holding up? For the ones with studded tires, how bad did the tires damage the coating?

Any recommendation on who to go with for garage coating with Polyaspartic flakes?
Is it normal for them to offer garage wall sanding and painting service?

It's been a year and a half with ours and its been holding up really well. We use studded tires on all our winter cars and I cant see any noticeable damage from the studs. I did specifically get a poly urethane top coat applied as added protection against the studs... apparently the stuff what CAT uses for their tracked equipment so it doesnt damage the floors of their shop.

We went with the Garage Store for our floor. I think most stores offer wall sanding and painting (mostly subbed out).

cyra1ax
07-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know of a place that will do concrete grinding/epoxy flooring prep? I bought the Rustoleum kits so will DIY the epoxy, was just lookling for someone to do prep work. Got a hold of one business and was told that they're booked for residential work until the end of the year.

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2021, 09:41 AM
Just don't use The Garage Store. I'm not going to get into it here but long story short their work turned into a complete nightmare, they never did finish my floor, and they won't honor warranty work on my dad's floor after only 3 years (coating is peeling off in several areas). Other people appear to be having the same issues with them looking elsewhere online. They also don't have a prepaid contractor's license and have been taking deposits illegally.

A2VR6
07-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Just don't use The Garage Store. I'm not going to get into it here but long story short their work turned into a complete nightmare, they never did finish my floor, and they won't honor warranty work on my dad's floor after only 3 years (coating is peeling off in several areas). Other people appear to be having the same issues with them looking elsewhere online. They also don't have a prepaid contractor's license and have been taking deposits illegally.

Guess I should watch out for my floor peeling then.

88CRX
07-22-2021, 12:19 PM

I had them and Zone on my narrowed down list. You should post more information and/or pics. I'm curious of the whole story.

00redLUDE
07-26-2021, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know of a place that will do concrete grinding/epoxy flooring prep? I bought the Rustoleum kits so will DIY the epoxy, was just lookling for someone to do prep work. Got a hold of one business and was told that they're booked for residential work until the end of the year.

I have to remove my current flooring as I am planning on doing it again. Do you have the name of this place that can do the concrete grinding? You can pm the info if you want.

cyra1ax
07-26-2021, 01:39 PM
I have to remove my current flooring as I am planning on doing it again. Do you have the name of this place that can do the concrete grinding? You can pm the info if you want.

The place I mentioned was Enviro Surface Removers, they have a ton of ads on Kijiji but when I got a hold of them they said they were booked for residential jobs until the end of the year.
Going to send out a bunch of quote requests in the next day or two to companies that do the entire process, will report back.

00redLUDE
07-26-2021, 02:01 PM
The place I mentioned was Enviro Surface Removers, they have a ton of ads on Kijiji but when I got a hold of them they said they were booked for residential jobs until the end of the year.
Going to send out a bunch of quote requests in the next day or two to companies that do the entire process, will report back.

Thanks for the name. Please let me know if you found some other companies for the cement roughing process and if they have a better rates.

Ekliptix
08-18-2021, 05:07 PM
I'm planning to have my new ~700sqft garage floor epoxied. I'm planning to go with a metallic marble look. Not sure of the exact colors yet. I spoke with a guy who does 'em. He did my friend's place who has really high standards, and came recommended.
He suggested there's a new satin finish top layer that provides excellent durability. I'm still waiting on pricing, but it's looking to be $9/sqft, including prep, so $6,300 for 700sqft. I'm told the metallic supplies are more $, as there's more material put down. Standard flake epoxy floor is ~$6.50/sqft.

He said the price of epoxy has increased nearly 50% this year.

dirtsniffer
08-18-2021, 07:46 PM
Resin shortages havent really improved since snowmageddon fucked everything in texas in q1

Neil4Speed
08-19-2021, 09:05 AM
I can't answer that, but I've been looking a waterproof vinyl flooring as an alternative, since it offers some amazing textures. Specifically, MSI Stone Waterproof Rocky Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring. It's under $2/sqft.
https://www.msisurfaces.com/blogs/post/2020/10/08/can-vinyl-plank-flooring-be-used-in-a-garage.aspx

https://www.msisurfaces.com/blogs/image.axd?picture=%2f2020%2f10%2fbraly_lvt+flooring+for+garage+tool+room_msi2.jpg

Thought about this as well but was concerned about moisture from the slab...

arcticcat522
09-20-2021, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the name. Please let me know if you found some other companies for the cement roughing process and if they have a better rates.
I'm getting a polyaspartic coating done at the beggining of Oct. The guy seems good, but I'll let you know after its completed. He said he does lots of prep only stuff too

cyra1ax
09-21-2021, 07:03 AM

Figure I'd close this off. Tried to get quotes from a mix of kijiji/non-kijiji people. Two people actually got back to me, the rest either ghosted after the initial email(or just straight up didn't reply) or didn't care to provide a quote or ballpark number at all.
Best price I got was from a guy on Kijiji, wanted $1/sqft for just concrete grinding alone.

I ended up just saying screw it and got myself some concrete etch from HD and used that instead. Did it twice and it seems to have done just fine, no hot tire pickup so far(knock on wood).

JRSC00LUDE
09-21-2021, 07:43 AM
Best price I got was from a guy on Kijiji, wanted $1/sqft for just concrete grinding alone.

That's ridiculously cheap for a little garage.

cyra1ax
09-21-2021, 08:29 AM

That was the price for a 24x24.

JRSC00LUDE
09-21-2021, 08:53 AM
That was the price for a 24x24.

ganesh
05-26-2022, 07:57 AM

Bumping a old thread.
I am looking at the Options for garage floor , just wondering how the floor is holding up after 4 Years?

Strider
03-04-2024, 11:43 PM
I'm getting a polyaspartic coating done at the beggining of Oct. The guy seems good, but I'll let you know after its completed. He said he does lots of prep only stuff too

How much did this run you per sq ft? How did it turn out?

Inzane
03-05-2024, 12:03 PM
Are polyaspartic coatings getting any cheaper these days, or not really?

arcticcat522
03-05-2024, 12:08 PM
How much did this run you per sq ft? How did it turn out?

Cost was covered by the builder because the concrete gym sucked at his job. The coating is already peeling off income areas due to the shit concrete under it. Looks good where it's not chipping

88CRX
03-05-2024, 12:22 PM
Are polyaspartic coatings getting any cheaper these days, or not really?

Is ________________ going down in price?

NOPE

Inzane
03-05-2024, 12:50 PM

NOPE

That figures. I've been procrastinating, for 10+ years on this. I will come to regret it.

nismodrifter
03-05-2024, 01:13 PM

NOPE

Damn you.

All of my hopes for cars/miscellaneous consumer goods just totally crushed with this one post.

BavarianBeast
03-05-2024, 01:18 PM
$5-9/sf for regular

$10-15sf for something fancy like metallic

88CRX
03-05-2024, 02:49 PM
That figures. I've been procrastinating, for 10+ years on this. I will come to regret it.

We did our garage floors and cabinets pre-covid inflation... decided it was more important then doing the basement. Saved $1-$2k maybe.

Did the basement post covid... cost 50% more... Fuck. hah

Damn you.

All of my hopes for cars/miscellaneous consumer goods just totally crushed with this one post.

Tell me about it dude.

Pacman
03-06-2024, 11:54 AM
Can these coating companies also fix cracked concrete floors and also level out the floor? I get a lot of water accumulation (1 inch) in the corner of my garage when the snow melts from the car.

ThePenIsMightier
03-06-2024, 12:04 PM
Can these coating companies also fix cracked concrete floors and also level out the floor? I get a lot of water accumulation (1 inch) in the corner of my garage when the snow melts from the car.

They often have a budget to fix about 20-30 linear feet of cracks and then charge if you need more.
I assume leveling is possible, but extra.

killramos
03-06-2024, 12:26 PM
Leveling is one thing. Fixing the slope so things drain properly is another.

Inzane
03-06-2024, 06:25 PM
Leveling is one thing. Fixing the slope so things drain properly is another.

I have this problem with my garage pad as well.