PDA

View Full Version : Cars from Ontario?

BensonTT
05-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Hey guys, are cars from Ontario bad? Everyone I know tells me to avoid cars from there but why? Also why are they so much cheaper?

ExtraSlow
05-03-2018, 06:57 AM
Not all are bad, but on average they are more rusty. Also, I always find it somewhat suspicious that in a highly populated area like that, they can't find a local buyer. Makes me assume something is wrong.

Abeo
05-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Depends on the age, and how the car was treated (stored in the winter or not). If it was a winter driven car, it won't have the chips we get, but it will have a head start on rust. Some areas are worse than others, but the humidity and salt there makes things rust so much faster. Not uncommon to see a 10 year old car that's got holes in the floor and body. Also, the anti rust oil spray makes an absolute mess.

ExtraSlow
05-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Unless it's something that's totally unavailable here, like a collector car, I can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to buy from that far away. I'd rather buy from Arizona or something first, and phoenix is a full days' drive closer than Toronto.

Mista Bob
05-03-2018, 08:14 AM
They really fucking love their salt over there, but don't seem to ever use any gravel at all. Was quite surprised at how much salt there was everywhere when I lived in Toronto recently. Plus it is more humid there with all those lakes, I would imagine that doesn't help things as well?
I'd take rock chips any day over corrosion from all that road salt.

Abeo
05-03-2018, 08:50 AM

BensonTT
05-03-2018, 08:56 AM
What do you guys think of this car? Its from Ontario. We just bought an RX350 and now my father in law wants one and wants me to go check this one out..

http://www.villagehonda.com/en/used/2016-lexus-rx350-f-sport-awd/9804219/

Carproof

https://reports.carproof.com/main?id=kDWHh75lR79IbR9aZYnNKhz0B72wk4v6

Abeo
05-03-2018, 09:02 AM
First glance, I wonder if it's a lease or rental

this may help: https://www.apps.rus.mto.gov.on.ca/jtips/vehHistorySearch.jsp
Not sure how useful the form will be. 10+ years ago, you used to get a full form of the owners names of the vehicle, and dates it was registered.

BensonTT
05-03-2018, 09:12 AM
First glance, I wonder if it's a lease or rental

this may help: https://www.apps.rus.mto.gov.on.ca/jtips/vehHistorySearch.jsp
Not sure how useful the form will be. 10+ years ago, you used to get a full form of the owners names of the vehicle, and dates it was registered.

Thanks for the link.. The car doesn't show up for some reason lol

HiTempguy1
05-03-2018, 09:17 AM
some people will garage keep their cars

With the temps most people garages are kept at, or underground condo parking (in Ontario, something that is a lot more likely), the heat and moisture build in the enclosed space actually accelerates rust unless they are washing their cars constantly.

I've never in my life seen a slightly rusty car rust so fast as to when it is stored in heated underground parking.

People are understating how bad the rust situation. It's bad. Like, domestics less than 3 years old with rust holes in them bad. I'd rather chipped paint then rust.

Abeo
05-03-2018, 09:21 AM
With the temps most people garages are kept at, or underground condo parking (in Ontario, something that is a lot more likely), the heat and moisture build in the enclosed space actually accelerates rust unless they are washing their cars constantly.

I've never in my life seen a slightly rusty car rust so fast as to when it is stored in heated underground parking.

People are understating how bad the rust situation. It's bad. Like, domestics less than 3 years old with rust holes in them bad. I'd rather chipped paint then rust.

From actual experience, cars that aren't driven in the winter and stored don't rust like you are stating. Once the car has been winter driven, then garage kept, yeah.

C4S
05-03-2018, 10:37 AM
In general, yes, don't buy Ontario car, but it really depends, if it is a 1 or 2 year old car, under 20,000km probably fine ... Couple year ago, our dealership brought 20 or so lease return vehicles from Ontario,(only 3 year old cars) but we don't do that anymore.... yes, after shipping, out of province inspection etc etc, still cheaper than local cars, and Ontario cars look alright ..(outside) but once lifted them up and checked.... :facepalm: No thx! not just rust problem, but many linkages were ceased, hardly even perform alignment.. (and the resale value will be lower too)

If you found a used car locally you really want to buy, and it is from Ontario/east, check/view underneath if possible ...

Local Calgary vehicles may have bad windshield, rock chips, but easy fix!

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Unless you are looking for an incredibly rare vehicle you can't find anywhere else after months of searching, I would never even consider anything from out East. It's easy enough to find a car locally or in BC/Sask that won't be a rust bucket in 5 years.

heavyD
05-03-2018, 12:09 PM
They really fucking love their salt over there, but don't seem to ever use any gravel at all. Was quite surprised at how much salt there was everywhere when I lived in Toronto recently. Plus it is more humid there with all those lakes, I would imagine that doesn't help things as well?
I'd take rock chips any day over corrosion from all that road salt.

Calgary is starting to use a lot of salt nowadays as our cars used to get peppered with gravel during winter but now our cars get peppered with gravel as well as plenty of salt. Still at least it's not nearly as humid here but I would hate to park a nice winter driven car in a headed garage in Calgary considering all the salt the city is now using.

beyond_ban
05-03-2018, 09:58 PM
My brother picked up a Range Rover Autobiography for a solid $10k under market value. It was from a dealer, so it was easy to ensure the he got full detailed photos before completing the sale. Pretty painless to be honest. Just had to wait a week for it to arrive.

HiTempguy1
05-04-2018, 06:51 AM
From actual experience, cars that aren't driven in the winter and stored don't rust like you are stating. Once the car has been winter driven, then garage kept, yeah.

I missed the "and never winter drive them". Seems redundant, of course a car won't rust much if at all if not winter driven, regardless of storage inside or out.

C4S
05-04-2018, 10:04 AM
I bought my S class from Ontario many year ago .. not "happy ending" ... lol :dunno: from a dealer too, may be $4 or 5K less than Calgary, but when I sold it couple year late, also 2~3K less .. so with the extra ~$2K shipping/out of province inspection etc ... not smart!

never
05-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Have a 2010 vehicle originally from Ontario. Purchased with 46,000 km in 2012, it now has 286,000 km...no rust anywhere, top or underneath.

Xtrema
05-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Have a 2010 vehicle originally from Ontario. Purchased with 46,000 km in 2012, it now has 286,000 km...no rust anywhere, top or underneath.

There are always exception to the rule.

I have seen a Honda Accord that's about $2K cheaper than market and the radiator is hanging on by a thread and engine bay looks brutal while the body looks clean.

Any Mazda, don't even bother.