PDA

View Full Version : Groupon oil changes

jabjab
05-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Do those Groupon deals that have an oil change with tire rotation for example trustworthy? How do they make money especially on those extra 20 percent off promos?
Do they put super shitty oil in?

spikerS
05-06-2018, 12:34 PM
man, it isn't worth it to buy them. I tried once, and you can't get appointments for like 4-5+ months because of how many people buy them.

They make their money off people like me that realize how long the wait is, and then either junk the coupon or completely forget about it.

dj_rice
05-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Its mainly hoping you come in for an oil change, and then they do an inspection and call brakes and etc on it, and you go ahead with it.

Same goes for a dealership. They hope you go ahead with the repairs on an inspection. Its mainly to get people in the door

eblend
05-06-2018, 04:40 PM
I used them back in the day, didn't realize Groupon is still a thing.

They always required an appointment which sucked, and for the most part, were far away from where I was. One time I had a 3x oil changes + inspection, and on the 3rd time the guy told me my tranny fluid needs to be changed. I told him that I will have to come back as I don't have the time to do that right now (which was actually true), but I obviously never did. Lifetime tranny oil on these cars, and it was only at 60k on the odo, and they wanted to charge $300 for it. No thanks

I am actually looking forward to doing Oil changes myself on the new Crosstrek, did the first one on friday and at the same time installed an EZ Valve. With 9" of clearance on the crosstrek, I can easily slide under the car without lifting it, open the valve and let it drain. The oil filter is at the top of the engine, so I can do my own oil changes in like 5 minutes :)

J-hop
05-06-2018, 09:49 PM
I used them back in the day, didn't realize Groupon is still a thing.

They always required an appointment which sucked, and for the most part, were far away from where I was. One time I had a 3x oil changes + inspection, and on the 3rd time the guy told me my tranny fluid needs to be changed. I told him that I will have to come back as I don't have the time to do that right now (which was actually true), but I obviously never did. Lifetime tranny oil on these cars, and it was only at 60k on the odo, and they wanted to charge $300 for it. No thanks

I am actually looking forward to doing Oil changes myself on the new Crosstrek, did the first one on friday and at the same time installed an EZ Valve. With 9" of clearance on the crosstrek, I can easily slide under the car without lifting it, open the valve and let it drain. The oil filter is at the top of the engine, so I can do my own oil changes in like 5 minutes :)

Love our gf8 OBS for that. Our 08 Impreza is too low unfortunately

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Do you even have to go under the car? I know with Audi you can use a little pump and do the whole oil change in just a few minutes from under the hood.

G-ZUS
05-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Lifetime tranny oil on these cars, and it was only at 60k on the odo, and they wanted to charge $300 for it. No thanks

Don't believe that lifetime fluid BS.

Rocket1k78
05-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Its mainly hoping you come in for an oil change, and then they do an inspection and call brakes and etc on it, and you go ahead with it.

This! They probably lose money on a basic oil change with tire rotation.

eblend
05-07-2018, 11:42 AM

I don't really, but it was a daily driver not driven heavily, and it wasn't going to be in my possession for too long, so I didn't want to change it. Still I think the manual said 100,000k or so, and the car was at 60k, so wasn't going to bother.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Lifetime fluid is truly lifetime fluid - it lasts exactly the lifetime of the transmission and no longer!

J-hop
05-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Lifetime fluid is truly lifetime fluid - it lasts exactly the lifetime of the transmission and no longer!

That is an excellent point.