PDA

View Full Version : Looking for: Company/person to re-finish wood deck

asp integra
05-07-2018, 03:34 PM
My deck is looking a little worse for wear. I am looking for a person/company that can sand, and stain it since I won't have any time to do it this spring. Any recommendations?

JordanEG6
05-10-2018, 11:11 AM
My deck is looking a little worse for wear. I am looking for a person/company that can sand, and stain it since I won't have any time to do it this spring. Any recommendations?

Subscribed for suggestions. I'm looking into this as well.
I thought I did a good job last year, but upon cleaning the deck recently, some areas didn't last the winter season.

Euro838
05-10-2018, 11:37 AM
I'm getting a quote this Sunday from College Pro Painters for my porch and other areas where I have cedar. I'll compare this with maybe replacing everything with composite and maintenance free material. I'll update when I get the quote.

I'll take pictures and post up the quote so we analyze and help me decide!

A790
05-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Same boat. Curious to ese what College Pro says.

G-ZUS
05-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Same boat. Curious to ese what College Pro says.

+1

superflychief
05-10-2018, 06:38 PM
My name is Greg and I am the owner of Straight Edge Painting. I can definitely provide quotes on all of your painting/staining needs.

Greg
P: 403-837-7451
E: [email protected]
W: www.straightedge.ca

Euro838
05-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Okay,

I had college Pro come by yesterday for a quote. I don't have pictures of what needs to be done but essentially I have a front entrance porch which includes about 8 stairs. It's probably about 10 feet wide and about 8 feet deep. Also included are a couple of 2 step landings for the side door and the deck. Anyways, the process is they will power wash, some sanding and then the stain. If I want transparent stain then it's $1000(1 coat) and if I want solid then it's $1200 (2 coats). I will probably decline their services and look at other options. I'm actually going to see if I can replace all the cedar boards with composite as I don't know if I want to have to re-stain every few years.

ExtraSlow
05-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Most people just leave cedar unfinished and allow it to go silver.

A790
05-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Spikers?

mr2mike
05-16-2018, 10:27 AM
College Pro?!
So you don't want a good job, just a cheap one.

Euro838
05-16-2018, 11:19 AM
College Pro?!
So you don't want a good job, just a cheap one.

So are you saying they are cheap or not good or both? Considering what I want done, I don't think they are cheap.

revelations
05-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Okay,

I had college Pro come by yesterday for a quote. I don't have pictures of what needs to be done but essentially I have a front entrance porch which includes about 8 stairs. It's probably about 10 feet wide and about 8 feet deep. Also included are a couple of 2 step landings for the side door and the deck. Anyways, the process is they will power wash, some sanding and then the stain. If I want transparent stain then it's $1000(1 coat) and if I want solid then it's $1200 (2 coats). I will probably decline their services and look at other options. I'm actually going to see if I can replace all the cedar boards with composite as I don't know if I want to have to re-stain every few years.

Power washing is fine, but it will take at least a week or two for the wood to dry. It needs a chem cleaner done as well. Its not a simple process and any missed steps (or rain) will result in peeling.

vengie
05-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Just rent a floor sander and do it yourself? Should take no more than an afternoon, and cost ~$300 (plus a case of beer)

black_2.5RS
05-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Maybe off topic but looking for someone who can put that laminate covering over top. I'm tired of sanding and re-staining and don't want to buy that plastic decking (our backyard / deck gets way too much sun and the sample board we got gets too hot). Can anyone share a recommendation or 2?