PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix

phreezee
05-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Lots to look forward to for the weekend. Eager to see how the upgrades perform!

Will tune into the FPs to see Kubica.

Oh and F1 posted this the other day, lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_8fpFC7Ao

rage2
05-10-2018, 01:23 PM
McLaren looks epic. Let's see if it's epic success or epic failure. I have no confidence in my team so I'm guessing the latter. :rofl:

tonytiger55
05-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Looking forward to this.. though I cut off my TV today..no more cable.. :eek:

chongkee_
05-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Quite a bit of updates to the McLaren and Ferrari. Haven't seen much from Red Bull or Mercedes.

killramos
05-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Can’t mess with perfection :rofl:

klumsy_tumbler
05-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Perfect timing... I just got access to F1 TV :clap::clap::clap:

tonytiger55
05-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Perfect timing... I just got access to F1 TV :clap::clap::clap:

Dumb question, does it allow you to watch the race? Im just registering to see the price and it does not say anything about the live race itself.. :dunno:

Full replays and highlights from every F1 session*
Watch races from F1's historic archive*
Watch documentaries from F1's archive
Access to exclusive live timing data†
Access to selected team radio†
Tyre usage history†
Driver tracker map†

On another note, what the hell is happening with Williams..?

rage2
05-11-2018, 09:58 PM
There’s 2 different subscriptions. F1 TV Access is live timing plus historic races and race replays after the race. That’s available on iOS android and PC. F1 TV Pro is the live one with multiple angles and lots of data. That’s PC only and unavailable in Canada.

phreezee
05-13-2018, 08:26 AM
If Max can somehow stay in front of Seb, it will be huge for the WDC. Potentially very costly mistake at the restart. Hopefully Bottas keeps ahead.

rage2
05-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Stupid Ferrari strategy. They’re taking risks for the sake of taking risks this year. Almost feels like they’ve lost more than gained with their gamble.

Meh race. Nothing compared to the opening races this year.

speedog
05-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Well there was that first lap action that really shouldn't have happened.

rage2
05-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Welcome back Grosjean haha. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t get penalized for that stunt.

tonytiger55
05-13-2018, 12:02 PM
I overslept... :(

npham
05-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Stupid Ferrari strategy. They’re taking risks for the sake of taking risks this year. Almost feels like they’ve lost more than gained with their gamble.

They got rewarded early in Melbourne by taking that pit spot under the SC, so they are just rolling the dice with every VSC/SC now.

- - - Updated - - -

Grosjean's teammate moved which caused him to react and hit some dirty air and spin. Completely his fault but he was reacting to Magnussen twitch.

rage2
05-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Grosjean's teammate moved which caused him to react and hit some dirty air and spin. Completely his fault but he was reacting to Magnussen twitch.
Pretty sure that’s not what we’re talking about when saying it shouldn’t have happened. When you spin off there, especially lap 1, you hit the brakes and GTFO of the way. You don’t plant your throttle trying to point in the right direction towards the track with a ton of cars behind you. Pretty much days of thunder smokescreen stopped in the middle of the track. Completely unnecessary.

npham
05-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Pretty sure that’s not what we’re talking about when saying it shouldn’t have happened. When you spin off there, especially lap 1, you hit the brakes and GTFO of the way. You don’t plant your throttle trying to point in the right direction towards the track with a ton of cars behind you. Pretty much days of thunder smokescreen stopped in the middle of the track. Completely unnecessary.

Ah I see what you guys are saying. There was definitely room to the left for him to go off as well instead of staying on the gas and going across the track. Stewards only gave him 3 spots and 3 points on his license for this too.

tonytiger55
05-13-2018, 07:36 PM

Just watched a mini highlight on youtube.
Lap 1.. wtf.. he should have gone off.. That could have been a lot worse.

speedog
05-13-2018, 08:08 PM
It really is quite amazing that only three cars were taken out.

schocker
05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Ferrari and those strategies. boy oh boy :rofl: Engine issues from ferrari and the merc engine though (FI). From the performance of some drivers, looks like there will be some new faces next season.

phreezee
05-14-2018, 08:15 AM
Grosjean got a 3 place grid penalty which will really hurt for Monaco.

So Ferrari mirrors are banned for next race and McLaren upgrades seemingly had no affect.

Whatever Mercedes and Red Bull did seemed to have worked.

rage2
05-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Grosjean got a 3 place grid penalty which will really hurt for Monaco.

So Ferrari mirrors are banned for next race and McLaren upgrades seemingly had no affect.

Whatever Mercedes and Red Bull did seemed to have worked.
I wouldn't say no change, McLaren race pace seems to have dropped off with their latest upgrade as well. Qualifying pace realistically had no change, Alonso made it to Q3 only because he ran Q2 with the softer tires which really fucked up his race as well. Ugh.

Mercedes was "helped" by Pirelli apparently. They brought modified tires based on Mercedes complaining about blistering in pre-season testing at Barcelona, and the new specification of tire will be used for a couple other races where Pirelli believes blistering will be a problem.

Grosjean penalty seems weak based on what he did.

phreezee
05-14-2018, 09:55 AM
He also got 2 penalty points I later read. Total of 5, on the way to 7 for a race ban.

schocker
05-14-2018, 10:17 AM
The grosjean incident was like a mustang leaving cars and coffee :rofl:
They did never televise riccardo spinning. I was wondering why he had dropped so far back from max.
Also, why is TSN trying to find ways to be more shit. Post race was only on TSN GO as they definitely needed to show sportscenter. . I pay for the channels so I can watch it on TV.

rage2
05-14-2018, 10:45 AM
Also, why is TSN trying to find ways to be more shit. Post race was only on TSN GO as they definitely needed to show sportscenter. . I pay for the channels so I can watch it on TV.
I heard TSN is shit for commercials during the race too. Lucky I have ESPN, full coverage of the race, without interruptions, thanks to Mother's sponsoring this year. Such a huge improvement in coverage.

This was also the first race where TSN didn't show the post race show. I get it, there's other stuff that needs to be shown, but they have 5 TSN channels to choose from, and instead, cut off the post race show to show Sportscenter that's repeated on 4 other channels. :rofl:

Can't wait till F1 TV is available in Canada in 2020. 1.5 more years!

adidas
05-14-2018, 11:11 AM
TSN's broadcast is getting absolutely ridiculous. In yesterday's race, they had two commercials within a span of 8 laps, iirc. Each commercial interruptions takes two laps and it ALWAYS seems to pop up during critical/interesting times in the race.

phreezee
05-14-2018, 11:48 AM
OT:F2 --- halo is here to stay I guess:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/995629297183404032

schocker
05-14-2018, 04:19 PM
I heard TSN is shit for commercials during the race too. Lucky I have ESPN, full coverage of the race, without interruptions, thanks to Mother's sponsoring this year. Such a huge improvement in coverage.

This was also the first race where TSN didn't show the post race show. I get it, there's other stuff that needs to be shown, but they have 5 TSN channels to choose from, and instead, cut off the post race show to show Sportscenter that's repeated on 4 other channels. :rofl:

Can't wait till F1 TV is available in Canada in 2020. 1.5 more years!
I checked the schedule and there were 3 premier league games, 1 IIHF game and sport center. I hope they paid a lot for the rights as they are idiots. Like yea, tell me more about the RLX. I guess the NSX and RLX are similar because they both move no units a month :rofl:

Inzane
05-15-2018, 09:33 AM
The grosjean incident was like a mustang leaving cars and coffee :rofl:

Best comment!!

chongkee_
05-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Looks like Pirelli actually ended up helping Ferrari with the tire switch.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/896086/1/vettel-ferrari-would-have-been-worse-spain-normal-tyres

phreezee
05-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Yup, pictures tell the story:

schocker
05-15-2018, 03:59 PM
That is a ton of damage, but aren't those the hypersofts?

phreezee
05-15-2018, 09:16 PM
If I read correctly , same tires, just more tread depth that retains heat and overcooks them.

schocker
05-15-2018, 09:41 PM
If I read correctly , same tires, just more tread depth that retains heat and overcooks them.
I was just wondering if it was them comparing such a soft compound to the mediums and softs is why these got chewed up so bad. Thought it might be the weather but looks like it was like 20 C there which isn't much warmer than the race was.