PDA

View Full Version : Tree Planting

90_Shelby
05-10-2018, 10:47 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to plant a tree? I want to plant a large caliper tree half way across my backyard and i’m looking at different options. I planted two large trees just inside my back fence line a few years back and it wasn’t fun as the weight of the root ball was massively under estimated. A crane can’t be used due to power lines and I don’t want to tear up the lawn by using a bobcat etc.

Any recommendations? I have come up with a few ideas to do it myself but the time and effort are not appealing.

Darell_n
05-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Lay down plywood and use a bobcat with a spoon to dig the hole, forks to set the tree in place.

ExtraSlow
05-11-2018, 06:40 AM
How big we talking? I think a couple of the local nurseries have something like this:

90_Shelby
05-11-2018, 04:14 PM
I have an opening through my fence of ~36", the root ball of the trees I want at Blue Grass are about 30-32" diameter and probably weigh 4-600 lbs. I could remove an 8 foot section of fence to get something bigger into the yard but that would mean moving a few large boulders and wrecking my garden which I'd like to avoid.

Darell_n
05-11-2018, 06:08 PM
I have an opening through my fence of ~36", the root ball of the trees I want at Blue Grass are about 30-32" diameter and probably weigh 4-600 lbs. I could remove an 8 foot section of fence to get something bigger into the yard but that would mean moving a few large boulders and wrecking my garden which I'd like to avoid.

Get it delivered with a picker truck. Don't have to move or take anything apart this way.

90_Shelby
05-11-2018, 08:11 PM
A crane can’t be used due to power lines....

Get it delivered with a picker truck. Don't have to move or take anything apart this way.

The tree is 15’ tall, it will hit the power lines if lifted over the fence from the back lane. Could go from the front but i’d need quite a large crane to go over my house which is going to get pricey.

macman64
05-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Do you have enough room for this tree to grow if it will hit power lines when lifted?

Darell_n
05-12-2018, 01:06 PM
The tree is 15’ tall, it will hit the power lines if lifted over the fence from the back lane. Could go from the front but i’d need quite a large crane to go over my house which is going to get pricey.

You don’t need to lift it standing upright. They can lay it down then sling it that way.

schurchill39
05-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Get one of the pull carts/ wagons/ flat bed wagons from princess auto. They have a 800lbs steel utility cart for $139.99 or a 1200 lbs cart for $149.99. Could also try the 700 lbs for $99.99. Then you just offload it in the alley, lay the root ball on the side, and pull/push it in. If you need a hand I could swing over, or force your brother to give you a hand.

ExtraSlow
05-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Get one of the pull carts/ wagons/ flat bed wagons from princess auto. They have a 800lbs steel utility cart for $139.99 or a 1200 lbs cart for $149.99. Could also try the 700 lbs for $99.99. Then you just offload it in the alley, lay the root ball on the side, and pull/push it in. If you need a hand I could swing over, or force your brother to give you a hand.

And then sell the cart, that's a winning plan.

Darell_n
05-12-2018, 05:20 PM
A 15 ft tree with root ball is going to weigh close to a ton. Hire a lifting machine.

90_Shelby
05-12-2018, 08:41 PM
With power lines running along the rear fence line, 2 big trees in the way, in addition to lines running to the house at a height of about 10’ a crane would have to extend horizontally 35’ from the back lane. I don’t think this is doable even if they lifted the tree on angle or flat. A crane could lift it from the front of he house but I would need a big crane at a substantial cost.

I can use an engine hoist to lift the tree onto a dolly and push it across the yard on plywood, again using the engine lift to drop the tree in the hole. An alternative to my small wheel dolly is to rent a hot tub dolly which has large tires meant for moving stuff across yards for $20.

I’ve seen tree carts on the internet which resemble an oversized hand truck with forks for moving trees, if I could rent one or knew of a landscaper that used a similar method I would hire them. As mentioned, I believe that I have a method to get this done but would consider an alternative for a reasonable price.

89coupe
05-12-2018, 10:01 PM
A 15 ft tree with root ball is going to weigh close to a ton. Hire a lifting machine.

I planted 3 15’ poplars and dug 3 holes 4’ wide and 2.5’ deep by hand and moved the trees by myself with a small tree dolly. Each tree probably weighed around 500-600lbs each. Was super easy to move by myself. I recall them being 32-36” root balls.

Mike I’m not sure if you saw my trees when you were over at my place but I had a crane drop them off in my front yard and I hand dollied them to my back yard myself and rolled them into the holes.

90_Shelby
05-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Where did you get the dolly from? I’ve called a few rental places and haven’t been able to find one.

89coupe
05-12-2018, 10:40 PM
Where did you get the dolly from? I’ve called a few rental places and haven’t been able to find one.

I bought my trees from http://www.5startrees.com

They provided me the dolly.