PDA

View Full Version : My Boss Thinks This is the Best 911 List Ever Made

A790
05-11-2018, 04:28 PM
https://www.supercars.net/blog/the-definitive-list-of-the-greatest-porsche-911s-ever-made/

My boss and total Porsche freak decided to write 12,500 words about Porsches, creating what he calls the "definitive" list of 911s.

What do you think? Agree with his picks?

C4S
05-11-2018, 04:31 PM
964 RS will be my choice ..

bjstare
05-11-2018, 05:01 PM
OK, but what does Gestalt's boss think?

A790
05-11-2018, 05:07 PM
OK, but what does Gestalt's boss think?
Or his wife, for that matter.

bjstare
05-11-2018, 05:09 PM
On topic though, 993 GT2 and 911R (close second) for me.

you&me
05-11-2018, 05:21 PM
On topic though, 993 GT2 and 911R (close second) for me.

I have several business associates in the US that are Porsche VIPs... Without exception, they all say the 991.2 GT3 is a better driver than the R...

One of those guys also has a 993GT2. For cool factor and bragging rights, it's tough to beat. But when he wants to go for a drive in an air cooled 911, he takes the 993 RS.

A790 - your boss put together a pretty solid list. IMO, he missed some hidden gems and it was a little too all-encompassing... A more distilled version would probably carry more weight and look less like a generic 'who's-who' list (For example, 2 996 GT3 versions?).

Regardless, thanks for sharing.

ExtraSlow
05-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Twelve thousand words is a bit long bro.

Have no other objections.

90_Shelby
05-11-2018, 08:25 PM
I have nothing to add with the exception that a friend of mine is getting a new GT2RS and it didn’t make that list even though it is the most bad ass 911 ever made.

killramos
05-11-2018, 09:25 PM
That’s a lot of beetles...

Tej.S
05-11-2018, 09:54 PM
As someone who has never driven a Porsche (car, not SUV), can someone share their personal experience with them? I understand that they're touted to arguably be the best driver's cars ever. Why are they so great? Bestow upon me your infinite wisdom.

r3ccOs
05-11-2018, 11:46 PM
As someone who has never driven a Porsche (car, not SUV), can someone share their personal experience with them? I understand that they're touted to arguably be the best driver's cars ever. Why are they so great? Bestow upon me your infinite wisdom.

to me, the 993 is the prettiest modern classic.. classic lines that hold up to modern design, and still embodies the heritage that made a porsche a porsche with its air cooled flat 6 and traditional wheelbase and dimensions.

the 964 is the prettiest classic porsche that I think everyone thinks of as the "definition" of a porsche... like the Marilyn Monroe of an American Bombshell classic

Xtrema
05-13-2018, 06:37 PM

It's just like Subaru, you need to drive one then you will understand.

r3ccOs
05-13-2018, 08:14 PM
It's just like Subaru, you need to drive one then you will understand.

sounds dumb, but the first porsche I ever drove was a girly red 97 Boxter in and honestly it was quite a privilege. It was a manual 2.5 and yes any half ton can blow it away in a drag race, but at the time it felt quick and felt like it could honestly do ANYTHING you wanted to do on public roads.

It was the same time there was stiff competition with the 350z, S2000s and the like, but there was something else about a mid-engine flat 6 that made it seem like you couldn't do anything wrong. It was lightyears ahead of the 350z for pure handling confidence and unlike the S2000, it just didn't seem like you had to work it nearly as much.

Then I drove a 997 C4, and I can't think of a better sports-car.... Not "stuper car" where its too wide and too large and too powerful to ever have a driver's connection on our public roads (then again I've really only ever "been" in one gallardo and one 430"

but a C4 is perfect... a super linear creamy powertrain, crisp controls and possibly one of the best driving dynamics one can find for Public roads.

stupid thing... Subaru is like a poor man's version of very much the same thing. All seem to have a very class leading driving dynamics thanks to the low COG and the WRX/STI, though aged and relatively underpowered, still is exhilarating and confidence inspiring to drive.

There is a reason why a Japanese car with an interior that looks like a 97 Camry transcends all social and age demographics

That.Guy.S30
05-13-2018, 08:21 PM
I have 964 C4. I thoroughly enjoy my S30 more than the 964. IMO its a little overhyped. But the coolest part is the ownership and the people.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-15-2018, 11:54 AM
The real takeaway for me here was that supercars.net is still a thing.

A790
05-15-2018, 12:41 PM

lol very much so. We are working on streamlining UX and making it easier for people to find stuff. We have a couple of beyonders doing content for it, too.

The end goal is a more visual, more content rich version of Wikipedia.

nismodrifter
05-15-2018, 04:09 PM

haha this. Totally brought back a flood of memories seeing that url again.