PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Mercedes CLS

npham
05-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Carwow's review of the new CLS just came out. Looks pretty nice, even in its base/diesel trim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7igrM4GOWw

killramos
05-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Both this and the new E coupe are such great DD options.

Too bad we will never see a 63 of either.

rage2
05-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Both this and the new E coupe are such great DD options.

Too bad we will never see a 63 of either.
I have no problems with no CLS63. The AMG GT 4 door bridges that gap nicely, and with much better handling dynamics. Pay to play. 63 will be old news anyways, once they roll out the 73? or whatever number they'll use for the 4.0L TT + hybrid 800+hp setup.

E Coupe never seeing a 63 does suck though.

killramos
05-15-2018, 10:51 AM
I was looking at the E400 in the showroom last week. Honestly if they made an E63 coupe the S63 coupe would be in trouble. It’s gorgeous.

So premium like the old CL (aka S Coupe), love that the A pillar is gone.

I like the AMG GT 4 door, but the cls is prettier. Doesn’t help that I can’t afford the GT like you said. Pay to play.

npham
05-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Base pricing around 80k? Any chance the E53 version comes in under 100?

Kloubek
05-15-2018, 11:05 AM
I find it interesting that the CLS has maintained the basic roofline and greenhouse that the original had. Very distinctive.

rage2
05-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Base pricing around 80k? Any chance the E53 version comes in under 100?
E53 Coupe? Expect it to start at around $90k and well optioned at $105k.

E53 Sedan, expect a $5000 price bump compared to E43 Sedan (based on UK pricing). So yea, option out your E43 Sedan and just add $5k.

CLS53 will be north of both those price points. CLS53 effectively replaces the CLS550, and was already a $100k car with just a single option pack.

Xtrema
05-15-2018, 11:19 AM
So premium like the old CL (aka S Coupe), love that the A pillar is gone.

B pillar. Without A pillar, you are eating bugs. :D

Buster
05-15-2018, 11:23 AM
give me the E63 wagon every time.

benyl
05-15-2018, 11:56 AM
give me the E63 wagon every time.

E53 wagon is coming. I might "downgrade" to that. No more lag.

npham
05-15-2018, 11:59 AM
E53 wagon is coming. I might "downgrade" to that. No more lag.

Fuck me! I didn't think this was coming since it wasn't announced originally, but I did some fact checking and it's coming in as a MY2019. I guess I know what car I'm getting next. I couldn't afford the 63, but the 53 is doable.

Inzane
05-15-2018, 11:59 AM
I find it interesting that the CLS has maintained the basic roofline and greenhouse that the original had. Very distinctive.

The roofline might be distinctive looks wise but offers horrible backseat head clearance. I sat in one at the auto show (I’m 5’11”) and it felt like the edge of the roof was almost at my temple.

Buster
05-15-2018, 12:00 PM
I wish I still needed a big car...lol. but I'm super happy going GLA45. Maybe the e73 wagon.

Kloubek
05-15-2018, 12:11 PM
The roofline might be distinctive looks wise but offers horrible backseat head clearance. I sat in one at the auto show (I’m 5’11”) and it felt like the edge of the roof was almost at my temple.

Form over function. :)

The CLS was a strong candidate when I bought my Jag. They both have that coupelike feel, and that includes rear seat headroom. Works just fine for my 5 year old. :)

killramos
05-15-2018, 12:31 PM
B pillar. Without A pillar, you are eating bugs. :D

That one :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

I find the back of the cls to be quite uncomfortable and I’m not even tall.

But rear passengers can suck it up if they are bumming a ride. Not bad for kids especially now that it’s a full bench instead of console in the middle.

C4S
05-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Look great!

But will it ... too similar to GT sedan? I can see E class and GT sedan are quite difference ...

killramos
05-15-2018, 12:41 PM
The CLS and the GT 4 Door are pretty much the same car with just more AMG underneath. GT 4 Door = CLS 63S

rage2
05-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Fuck me! I didn't think this was coming since it wasn't announced originally, but I did some fact checking and it's coming in as a MY2019. I guess I know what car I'm getting next. I couldn't afford the 63, but the 53 is doable.
Expect the price for the wagon to be similar to the coupe prices. I *almost* walked out on my E400 wagon order to wait for the E53 wagon. I had optioned my E400 wagon so much that the price difference would probably be in the $10k range, which was worth the upgrade. In the end, I got $10k off, car fully 3M'd and tinted to take the E400 instead. Wasn't worth a $25k gap at that point. So Chinese.

I find the back of the cls to be quite uncomfortable and I’m not even tall.

But rear passengers can suck it up if they are bumming a ride. Not bad for kids especially now that it’s a full bench instead of console in the middle.
Weird, never found the rear seats uncomfortable in my CLS. Headroom was basically at the limit for me at 6'2", but it wasn't snug or anything like that. It was the perfect and most popular 4 adult lunch vehicle at the office.

Haven't tried the new one though.

The CLS and the GT 4 Door are pretty much the same car with just more AMG underneath. GT 4 Door = CLS 63S
I believe AMG went much more aggressive on handling/tuning on the AMG GT 4 Door, so it should be a completely different car behind the wheel even when comparing CLS53 vs AMG GT 4 Door 53 with the exact same drivetrain.

That's what they say anyways, will know more once we actually start seeing these things.

killramos
05-15-2018, 01:14 PM
You are way taller than me too. I don’t know what it is but I was never happy in the back of it.

I think the platform is still mostly CLS though, but agreed AMG can do a lot to it. Maybe CLS63 BS is a more apt description?

Buddy of mine ordered the 63S so he should have one of the first ones in the city. I’m very interested to see what it’s like. His only caveat on the order was seating for 3 in the back for his kids haha.

Thing is I don’t think I could ever get the 53, i am just way too in love with the sound of the V8. And I’m not up to the baller level of the 63S.

bjstare
05-15-2018, 01:32 PM
I love a V8, but would be more than happy to give it up for the AMG 53 wagon (I am also too poor for the 63 wagon).

rage2
05-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Thing is I don’t think I could ever get the 53, i am just way too in love with the sound of the V8. And I’m not up to the baller level of the 63S.
You can hear the CLS53 sound here:

https://youtu.be/mKKELZ6zY1w?t=8m26s

Typical I6 sound but with extra snap crackle and pop on overrun.

killramos
05-15-2018, 03:13 PM
You can hear the CLS53 sound here:

https://youtu.be/mKKELZ6zY1w?t=8m26s

Typical I6 sound but with extra snap crackle and pop on overrun.

Maybe one day I’ll grow up. An E53 coupe would be a near perfect DD for me. I can’t believe how close the E coupe is to the S63 which is my “money is no object” best DD car.

I’m mad jealous of your E53 purchase.

rage2
05-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Maybe one day I’ll grow up. An E53 coupe would be a near perfect DD for me. I can’t believe how close the E coupe is to the S63 which is my “money is no object” best DD car.

I’m mad jealous of your E53 purchase.
Except the E coupe actually has usable rear seats. I too love the S coupe, was actually tempted to get a S550 Coupe as my year round car until I found the rear seats to be absolutely useless. Suffice to say, the E53 worked out beautifully in checking all my boxes, and for me a better car than the S Coupe.

TL;DR: I'm getting fucking old. Like speedog old.

npham
05-15-2018, 04:13 PM
I love a V8, but would be more than happy to give it up for the AMG 53 wagon (I am also too poor for the 63 wagon).

Group Buy 2019! +1

killramos
05-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Can you get performance seats in the 53 models?

rage2
05-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Can you get performance seats in the 53 models?
Not sure yet. They weren’t available for the E43 in North America, but they were available in Europe. That might change for the 53.

One of the caveats of ordering the performance seats, you can’t get the intelligent drive package. For some reason it’s not compatible. Now that I’ve had a few commutes in the E400, the self driving shit works very well, close to a Tesla AP1 I drove a while back. In bumper to bumper traffic, it completely drives itself, making the most frustrating portion of my commute between Kensington to McMahon stadium a breeze. At under 50km/h, it just uses car in front and lane data and does everything without touching the steering wheel. Must have option for me. You’ll also want the heads up display to fully take advantage of the feature safely. I’ll do a proper write up once I round up a few Teslas for a comparo.

With that being said, the Drive dynamic seats are really nice. Had them in the CLS, even better in the E. Hugs you as good as the recaros in corners. In the most aggressive mode, it’s totally sexual harassment for unsuspecting passengers. I call em my metoo seats haha.

killramos
05-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Bizarre.

Can’t wait to hear the comparo, does that mean there might be a blog post in the future? Haha

rage2
05-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Bizarre.

Can’t wait to hear the comparo, does that mean there might be a blog post in the future? Haha
Nah, thread post. At some point the blog will be revamped to integrate better with the forums. Then maybe we’ll start updating the blog again.