PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new lawn mower...are those battery powered ones the way to go now?

Pages : [1] 2

spikerS
05-20-2018, 09:06 PM
So, looks like my old 6.5hp 24" wide lawn mower has finally shit the bed. Just won't stay running any longer, so it is time to explore options.

Stopped in at Wal-mart to check things out. Baygirl wants to go electric as she doesn't like how heavy the gas one we had is, nor could she pull hard enough on the pull cord to start it, same goes for the 2 kids (They are old enough now to start helping with this lol). And the only electric ones they had there were a 14" and a 17" wide model. I cringe as those will take a lot longer to cut the lawn with.

Got me to thinking, there are some battery operated ones out there now. Do any of you have them? how long is the charge lasting? enough to cut 2000sqf of lawn? how long to charge?

Ir should i just try and find a better corded one out there and buy a new cord everytime it gets run over?

speedog
05-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Electric start (on board battery), self propelled gas. I have a sloped front lawn and the self propelled is so helpful plus the electric start is a nice bonus.

A790
05-21-2018, 09:07 AM
I've had a Kobalt electric 19" for my lawn since I moved in. It's been awesome for me. The larger battery the mower came with does the front/back with power to spare, and the batteries swap into other Kobalt gear (trimmer/etc.). Not a bad way to go.

Sugarphreak
05-21-2018, 09:42 AM

RX_EVOLV
05-21-2018, 09:48 AM
I have a 20in Ryobi and I'm very happy with it. It's super light and soooo quiet. My neighbors can barely hear it from their yards and definitly not when they are inside the house. One charge lasts at least 2 mowing sessions (front + back) for me. I've never ran the battery to empty so I have no idea how many sessions total I can get out of one full charge. I don't know how big my lawn is but I'm on a 60'X100' lot and no garage in the back, so I say average inner city full size lot worth?

I also have a very flat and and clean yard and I try to cut my lawn relatively often. I can see that if I have a slopped lawn or lots of corners I would rather go with a gas powered, self-propelled one, or splurge on the ECO Power+ ($800).

Lex350
05-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Never electric for me. I still use the same Lawnboy that originally was bought by my dad. He bought it in 1972. It still works great in dry or wet grass.

Tik-Tok
05-21-2018, 10:29 AM
I've had a Kobalt electric 19" for my lawn since I moved in. It's been awesome for me. The larger battery the mower came with does the front/back with power to spare, and the batteries swap into other Kobalt gear (trimmer/etc.). Not a bad way to go.

I've got the same thing with Yardworks 21", also have a 560cfm leaf blower, and plan on buying the string trimmer and snowblower for it as well. Works awesome.

I would stay away from a corded electric Spikers, such a PITA.

revelations
05-21-2018, 10:40 AM
I have a corded electric model but our lawn is so small that the cord is a non issue. I just start cutting the grass nearest to the cord and work away from it.

The Li Ion batteries need to be properly stored in the winter (not fully charged and not dead) and they should last you the longest that way.

The_Penguin
05-21-2018, 12:42 PM
I debated this a couple years ago, didn't like the prospect of paying for a replacement battery after it fails, so decided on a new Toro gas mower.
Starts easily on 1 or 2 pulls, and the "personal pace" self propel system works very well. Quite happy with the decision.
Put one of those gas pump nozzle things on the gas can and refilling the gas devices is less of a pain now as well.

kenny
05-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Pick up one of these

https://www.lowes.ca/lawn-mowers/cub-cadet-xr2-1000-26-volt-cordless-electric-robotic-lawn-mower_g2961883.html

Maxx Mazda
05-21-2018, 06:35 PM
When you get a new mower if you want I’ll come and take that old one away for you.

killramos
05-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Have never had issues with either corded or cordless electric mowers as long as you didn't do something dumb like forget to plug them in.

Never needed a new battery on one either, it basically sits on a tender 24/7 aside from when you are using it?

J-hop
05-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Never electric for me. I still use the same Lawnboy that originally was bought by my dad. He bought it in 1972. It still works great in dry or wet grass.

Those lawnboys are awesome. Had one of similar vintage for the longest time. The thing that did it was the pull cord/starting mechanism kept breaking and the shop couldn’t find a replacement and the original part hit its max number of jerry rigs.

+1 on what revelations mentioned about battery storage. Father in law forgot the batteries in the unheated garage over the winter and it pretty much killed them

Buster
05-21-2018, 07:39 PM
https://egopowerplus.com/products/21-inch-self-propelled-lawn-mower

Chandler_Racing
05-21-2018, 07:46 PM

I purchased that mower two weeks ago and returned it yesterday.

My 10 year old Honda/Toro mower does a better job.

Buster
05-21-2018, 07:47 PM
ours has been great.

spikerS
05-21-2018, 09:29 PM

we looked at that one tonight, but for 7 or 800 bucks, we didn't see the point, and our yard is pretty much 100% flat.

suntan
05-21-2018, 09:31 PM
This is the first time CR has recommended electric lawn mowers apparently.

spikerS
05-21-2018, 09:34 PM
Looked at canadian tire and home depot, and I am doing some research on this one now.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.20-in-40v-brushless-lithium-ion-cordless-battery-push-lawn-mower-with-50-ah-battery--charger.1000858337.html

not a big fan of Ryobi, but has a 5 year warranty... Anyone familiar with these? It seems pretty light weight, and Baygirl seems to be able to move it ok.

Buster
05-21-2018, 10:07 PM
we looked at that one tonight, but for 7 or 800 bucks, we didn't see the point, and our yard is pretty much 100% flat.

I've got a lot of other ego products, and I love them. The Ego snowblower is also awesome, and uses the same batteries. I dont have any cans of gas in my house any more.

ShermanEF9
05-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Looked at canadian tire and home depot, and I am doing some research on this one now.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.20-in-40v-brushless-lithium-ion-cordless-battery-push-lawn-mower-with-50-ah-battery--charger.1000858337.html

not a big fan of Ryobi, but has a 5 year warranty... Anyone familiar with these? It seems pretty light weight, and Baygirl seems to be able to move it ok.

I have other Ryobi lawn tools and they work great for what i paid.

Mitsu3000gt
05-22-2018, 09:04 AM
I am guessing a lot of people probably don't have the desire to take proper care of lithium batteries (or don't understand how), and replacements are over $600. Leave it in the garage over winter or at 0% charge for too long, something like that, and it's useless. You only need to forget once. Something to consider anyway.

Tik-Tok
05-22-2018, 10:05 AM
It's actually incredibly easy to replace the batteries guts for quite a bit cheaper. Most battery packs are just made of a series of smaller batteries inside. I've saved hundreds replacing the 18650's in my Milwaukee tools. But if you're the type to be able to do this, you probably won't kill it to begin with.

Thaco
05-22-2018, 10:23 AM
I am guessing a lot of people probably don't have the desire to take proper care of lithium batteries (or don't understand how), and replacements are over $600. Leave it in the garage over winter or at 0% charge for too long, something like that, and it's useless. You only need to forget once. Something to consider anyway.

i have a ton of ryobi 18v batteries for various cordless tools, i just toss em on the charger whenever i am done with them, but its not "proper" maintenance, but its easy and will not be a significant lifespan difference... letting them die and freeze is definitely a lot worse... I just wish ryobi would make more of their tools run off multiple 18v batteries, 2x18 is 36v, practically the same as the 40v, and i wouldnt have to invest in a whole new battery system

- - - Updated - - -

It's actually incredibly easy to replace the batteries guts for quite a bit cheaper. Most battery packs are just made of a series of smaller batteries inside. I've saved hundreds replacing the 18650's in my Milwaukee tools. But if you're the type to be able to do this, you probably won't kill it to begin with.

i wish i could find empty battery cases, maybe with the controller board in them, and build my own packs, it'd be wayyy cheaper, as it is the only time i replace my battery pack from the store is when the case falls apart... and even then i try to buy dead batts from ebay just for the cas and controller, swap in fresh cells and we're as good as new.

Mitsu3000gt
05-22-2018, 11:14 AM
i have a ton of ryobi 18v batteries for various cordless tools, i just toss em on the charger whenever i am done with them, but its not "proper" maintenance, but its easy and will not be a significant lifespan difference... letting them die and freeze is definitely a lot worse... I just wish ryobi would make more of their tools run off multiple 18v batteries, 2x18 is 36v, practically the same as the 40v, and i wouldnt have to invest in a whole new battery system

For drills and other small power tools, I would assume most people don't typically use all of the battery in one continuous usage period. They pull them out for a few minutes or an hour and aren't using them constantly. Or you pull out the impact gun to swap your winter/summer wheels and use it for maybe 1-2 minutes total. Contractor use I'm sure is much more consistent, but for the average Joe with power tools, usage is sporadic. If the battery life degrades, they probably will never know even if they lose 50% capacity because they don't have to rely on a long continuous usage period. But with a lawn mower, a damaged battery could easily be the difference between being able to finish mowing the lawn or not as the charge is consumed continuously during use and you are probably using most or all of the charge every time.

I am just going by how I see most people treat virtually every type of lithium battery, and most people definitely do not pay attention to things like temperature or long term storage, and instead abuse them by leaving them on the charger all the time, running them to zero, etc. For some things though that is fine, especially if you know it will have a limited lifespan (i.e. a phone you replace every year anyway) but for others it can be expensive to neglect them.

bjstare
05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
This is the first time CR has recommended electric lawn mowers apparently.

CR is a joke. You'd get more useful and reliable information from a piece of used toilet paper.

+1 for gas. I have a Cub Cadet self propelled mower going on 10 years old now. Starting it in the spring for the first time is a bit of work, but after that it's wonderful. Haven't even changed the oil on it yet haha.

I also have a Hitachi gas trimmer, and it's great. I'm sure my neighbors hate when I use it, cause it's almost as loud as a chainsaw, but w/e. It probably takes me under 30 mins to do the front/back yard so it's not like I disturb the peace for that long.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you want to spend a bit more, my dad has a Honda 4-stroke trimmer that's very quiet and still powerful. He also has a self propelled gas mower with electric start. Same thing, very reliable and quiet. That being said, it was probably close to $3k for that combo.

suntan
05-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Gee the self-propelled did the best in their ratings.

Asian_defender
05-22-2018, 01:41 PM
+1 for Gas
Get something with an electric start and self propelled

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.personal-pace-22-inch-briggs--stratton-gas-self-propelled-lawn-mower-with-electric-starter.1000541867.html

No oil changes either, what more can you ask for?

Darkane
05-22-2018, 01:59 PM
LS swap the current one. Fin.

revelations
05-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Pick up one of these

https://www.lowes.ca/lawn-mowers/cub-cadet-xr2-1000-26-volt-cordless-electric-robotic-lawn-mower_g2961883.html

If I had a large sized lawn, Id definitely consider that.

A roomba for grass.

The_Penguin
05-22-2018, 05:14 PM
A roomba for grass.

A Lawnba.

Thaco
05-22-2018, 05:22 PM
For drills and other small power tools, I would assume most people don't typically use all of the battery in one continuous usage period. They pull them out for a few minutes or an hour and aren't using them constantly. Or you pull out the impact gun to swap your winter/summer wheels and use it for maybe 1-2 minutes total. Contractor use I'm sure is much more consistent, but for the average Joe with power tools, usage is sporadic. If the battery life degrades, they probably will never know even if they lose 50% capacity because they don't have to rely on a long continuous usage period. But with a lawn mower, a damaged battery could easily be the difference between being able to finish mowing the lawn or not as the charge is consumed continuously during use and you are probably using most or all of the charge every time.

I am just going by how I see most people treat virtually every type of lithium battery, and most people definitely do not pay attention to things like temperature or long term storage, and instead abuse them by leaving them on the charger all the time, running them to zero, etc. For some things though that is fine, especially if you know it will have a limited lifespan (i.e. a phone you replace every year anyway) but for others it can be expensive to neglect them.

nah, the fancy control boards and intelligent chargers take out all the guesswork now, they kill it before it discharges too low, and they prevnt overcharging by stopping at the top end., i know LiPo and LiFe do, but i dont think 18650's Li-on suffers from storage requirements like partial charge, its actually more beneficial and important to store Lions in a cold temperature (in the fridge or freezer) than it is to keep them at 40% charge.

R-Audi
05-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Last year I went with a Husqvarna LC121P from EJ Mowers. Apparently what they sell to many landscapers. Sat outside all winter (covered) and started up 2nd pull. Very happy 1 season in!

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2018, 11:50 AM
nah, the fancy control boards and intelligent chargers take out all the guesswork now, they kill it before it discharges too low, and they prevnt overcharging by stopping at the top end., i know LiPo and LiFe do, but i dont think 18650's Li-on suffers from storage requirements like partial charge, its actually more beneficial and important to store Lions in a cold temperature (in the fridge or freezer) than it is to keep them at 40% charge.

The technology doesn't protect it that well, it just makes it slightly harder for careless people to wreck them. The overcharge protection for example typically works by letting it naturally discharge to 95%, then charging back up to 100%, turning off, letting it naturally drop to 95%, then charge back up to 100%, etc. That's how it works with cellphones too and it is not good for lithium batteries for extended periods of time (especially many months in the case of a tool or yard appliance). Heat is the enemy of lithium batteries (as is cold during use). The technology also can only protect against a 0% situation while in use, but over time there is no protection against that as the batteries will eventually self discharge to 0% which is very bad. Leave it out in the garage for a winter by accident, and you are probably buying a new $600 battery in the spring.

It depends on the specific battery, but ideal storage is usually done with a charge of 30-60% or so, and a periodic charge cycle every 1-3 months (settling back at 30-60%) if you aren't going to be using it for a long time.

Even drone batteries, which are some of the 'smartest' such that they can even self-discharge to 60% and enter hibernation mode, can easily be wrecked if not maintained. Your average homeowner with some fancy LiOn tools is probably not doing anything like that.

BensonTT
05-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Pick up one of these

$1500? lol

spikerS
05-23-2018, 06:17 PM
$1500? lol

if that was in the budget, and I wasn't worried about someone stealing it, I would get it just so I never had to mow the lawn again. LOL Really, it is not much more than other recommendations and you don't have to mow...worth it to me!

Tik-Tok
05-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Actual pic of spikerS

spikerS
05-23-2018, 07:23 PM
Actual pic of spikerS

LOL, thought about that, but to rig up the lawnmower to do that would cost more than a replacement mower. would be cool, but with all the SJWs in my neighbourhood, I would cut one stripe before someone comes yelling at me to think of the children.

kenny
05-24-2018, 09:34 AM
if that was in the budget, and I wasn't worried about someone stealing it, I would get it just so I never had to mow the lawn again. LOL Really, it is not much more than other recommendations and you don't have to mow...worth it to me!

Yeah I would be nervous about it running while I'm not home and someone taking off with it.

Summer project for you, build your own RC mower :)

ganesh
05-24-2018, 12:57 PM
When you get a new mower if you want I’ll come and take that old one away for you.
If you want you can have mine. It works perfectly fine except the height adjuster from time to time will slip.
I just don't have time to cut the grass anymore and ended up hiring someone to do that this year.

Lex350
05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
I forgot to add that I love the big blue cloud of smoke that I get when I start that old 2 stroke Lawnboy up. It makes my enviro-peta loving-neighbourhood cop soccer mom neighbour almost have an aneurysm.

gogreen
05-24-2018, 01:54 PM
LOL, thought about that, but to rig up the lawnmower to do that would cost more than a replacement mower. would be cool, but with all the SJWs in my neighbourhood, I would cut one stripe before someone comes yelling at me to think of the children.

The children will be fine if they just get off your damn lawn. lol

Xtrema
05-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Second season with 40V Kobalt for Lowes.

It's a bit on the weak side if grass get a bit tall. And the 4Ah battery provide more power than the 2Ah one.

But overall, no exhaust and quieter operation has been great.

I think 56V or 80V systems out there would match gas power mowers. 40V is ok if you have a 3000sqft yard or smaller as long as you have 6-8Ah worth of battery charged up.

JDMMAN
05-25-2018, 05:38 PM
spikerS - Have you taken a look at perhaps diagnosing the problem with your current mower? I just did some quick R&R work on my parent's mower which hadn't been working in 4 years and brought it back to life with about $15 of parts and an hour's time (took most of that time to siphon the old fuel and waiting for any remaining fuel to drain from the carb bowl). All it needed was a good carb cleaning, cleaned up the old spark plugs, threw in some left over synthetic oil and new air filter and it sprung back into life after refueling.

gogreen
05-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Picked up this one last week and got to try it out on the weekend:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/greenworks-80v-lithium-brushless-cordless-lawn-mower-21-in-0601702p.html#srp

We have a 0.2 acre lot with somewhere around 3500 square feet of grass. I didn't find it to struggle in terms of power, it's relatively lightweight and easy to push with the 8" front and 10" rear wheels, and the battery life is very good. It needed both batteries to do the entire job front and back. I did the front (about 1500 square feet) and still had somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of life remaining on the first battery (it has 3 LED's to indicate the charge level and 2 were still lit up), then got about 1/3 of the back done before having to change to the second battery. This time out I just used the rear bag to collect the clippings (had to empty it 3 or 4 times) but next time I'll probably try out the mulching feature and see how it does.

I'm used to electric as we've been using an older corded mower that refuses to die, so I like that they're quieter and that I don't have to keep fuel on hand all summer. This one's a 21" cut vs. the 18" we had before and now I don't have to constantly adjust the cord or move to a different outlet in order to reach every spot so I'm happy.

dirtsniffer
03-31-2019, 02:48 PM
Bump! I need lawn maintenance equipment. What should I get? The 80v green works bundle from Costco? Any see it in store? $700 for the 21" mower and trimmer and two batteries.

Any other suggestions?

Tik-Tok
03-31-2019, 03:08 PM
If you dont mind the trip to the border, you can get it for far less through the states. I've got the Greenworks, 80v Mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, snow blower and 2x 4 amp hour batteries for $1100 cad all in. Mind you I watched for sales, and collected them all in one trip.

My only complaint about the mower is the single handle height adjustment makes the nose extra long, so I can't get as close to trees and bushes like I used to be able to.

jacky4566
03-31-2019, 11:08 PM
Going to be the odd ball and suggest a Reel mower. No gas, no batteries, low noise, just man and machine. Had the same one for 10 years now.
Only real maintenance is getting the blade sharpened every couple of year. Yes it does require a bit of effort to push but I enjoy it.

nismodrifter
03-31-2019, 11:09 PM
Just bought a Honda Powered Husqvarna mower, All wheel drive. Thing is a beast. Would recommend.

Now I need a gas trimmer.

Any solid options to consider? Looking to buy ASAP.

Also need a leaf blower to clean up the mess.

thinmyster
04-01-2019, 12:02 AM
I'm too cheap right now to get the EGO Trimmer :thumbsdow Anyone got one? They have pretty solid reviews.

dirtsniffer
04-01-2019, 06:40 AM
If you dont mind the trip to the border, you can get it for far less through the states. I've got the Greenworks, 80v Mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, snow blower and 2x 4 amp hour batteries for $1100 cad all in. Mind you I watched for sales, and collected them all in one trip.

My only complaint about the mower is the single handle height adjustment makes the nose extra long, so I can't get as close to trees and bushes like I used to be able to.

Great thanks. I didn't know they made a snow blower. Sweet!

I'm thinking electric do to how easy it is.

bjstare
04-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Just bought a Honda Powered Husqvarna mower, All wheel drive. Thing is a beast. Would recommend.

Now I need a gas trimmer.

Any solid options to consider? Looking to buy ASAP.

Also need a leaf blower to clean up the mess.

Depends what the budget is. My dad's got a 4 stroke honda trimmer that's awesome, nice and quiet, easy starts etc. I think it was ~$800 though.

I got a Hitachi trimmer from Costco a couple years back. It's 2 stroke, loud, but very reliable. Starts on like the third pull even after sitting all winter, and I think was <$300.

Tik-Tok
04-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Great thanks. I didn't know they made a snow blower. Sweet!

I'm thinking electric do to how easy it is.

The snowblower is just "ok" it doesn't have scrapers on the impeller, so doesn't clear the snow right down to the cement, and doesn't throw wet snow very far, but still beats shovelling. The impeller is only $10 though to replace, so Im thinking of bolting on some 1/2" brush strips and seeing if that works.

lasimmon
04-01-2019, 08:23 AM
I need to buy a lawn mower this spring. New house has a sloped back yard so I would prefer a self propelled one. Any suggestions on that front?

Xtrema
04-01-2019, 08:51 AM
The snowblower is just "ok" it doesn't have scrapers on the impeller, so doesn't clear the snow right down to the cement, and doesn't throw wet snow very far, but still beats shovelling. The impeller is only $10 though to replace, so Im thinking of bolting on some 1/2" brush strips and seeing if that works.

I have an electric one, even more gutless since it's a 40v, unless it's a huge dump, it's a "finisher". Move them to a pile let it go to town to stack them up, so no more lifting with my back which is nice.

nismodrifter
04-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Depends what the budget is. My dad's got a 4 stroke honda trimmer that's awesome, nice and quiet, easy starts etc. I think it was ~$800 though.

I got a Hitachi trimmer from Costco a couple years back. It's 2 stroke, loud, but very reliable. Starts on like the third pull even after sitting all winter, and I think was <$300.

I think budget would be $300 max. $800 on a trimmer is too baller for me.

bjstare
04-01-2019, 10:52 AM
I think budget would be $300 max. $800 on a trimmer is too baller for me.

Ya, same.

I'd recommend checking Costco, maybe they still have the one I got (or a variation thereof). I got it online, even shipped for free.

sabad66
04-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Bump! I need lawn maintenance equipment. What should I get? The 80v green works bundle from Costco? Any see it in store? $700 for the 21" mower and trimmer and two batteries.

Any other suggestions?

i'm in the market too, didn't think of checking costco. Looks like they have a mower only (self propelled) vs the bundle which comes with a non-self propelled, both for 699.99.

eventually i'd like to get a hedge trimmer/snow blower/leaf blower so want to get into a good ecosystem from the start.

Does anyone have any honest reviews on Greenworks? Also looking at Ego but they seem a bit more expensive.

EDIT: i guess the mower only comes with a single 5Ah where the bundle comes with 2x 2Ah batteries. kinda leaning towards the bigger battery one now to avoid potentially having to swap batteries in the middle of the mow.

sabad66
04-01-2019, 11:36 AM

which stores did you look at/were watching sales? if i could get all that for $1100 CAD i'd be willing to make a drive to Montana for sure.

Tik-Tok
04-01-2019, 01:47 PM
which stores did you look at/were watching sales? if i could get all that for $1100 CAD i'd be willing to make a drive to Montana for sure.

Amazon and US Lowes. I can't remember which came from where though.

Chandler_Racing
04-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Purchased the EGO mower last year (56V 5A) and returned it in favour of my 10 year old Toro/Honda 160cc "Old Red". I've never changed the oil, spark plus or sharpened the blades and it runs like a champ.

I see Canadian Tire has a new brand, GForce 120 V 2x2.5A. Not sure if there are run in parallel or series (i.e. 2.5A with a switch over when one dies or 2.5AX2 both running at the same time)?

Never been a fan of being a first adopter but might give this one a go. $999 for the self propelled version and (2) batteries.

sabad66
04-04-2019, 10:54 AM
Purchased the EGO mower last year (56V 5A) and returned it in favour of my 10 year old Toro/Honda 160cc "Old Red". I've never changed the oil, spark plus or sharpened the blades and it runs like a champ.

I see Canadian Tire has a new brand, GForce 120 V 2x2.5A. Not sure if there are run in parallel or series (i.e. 2.5A with a switch over when one dies or 2.5AX2 both running at the same time)?

Never been a fan of being a first adopter but might give this one a go. $999 for the self propelled version and (2) batteries.

yeah i'd be wary of a new brand without a few years of reviews.

Just noticed Canadian Tire has an 80V Greenworks with 2x 2Ah batteries on sale for $490. It's not self-propelled tho so i'm still leaning towards the 80V costco version for $700. Also the costco version is "Greenworks Pro" whereas the Canadian Tire 80V is just "Greenworks"...not sure if there's a difference in quality between pro and non-pro.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/greenworks-80v-lithium-brushless-cordless-lawn-mower-21-in-0601702p.html#srp

Edit: looking at the pics from canadian tire, it does say Pro on it so maybe it's the same model? so basically either $490 from Canadian tire, or $700 for the same at costco but includes a trimmer.

hmmmmmm decisions. i might grab the canadian tire one just in case they sell out since they say it's an instore clearance

arcticcat522
04-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Anyone try the Makita mower. Just bought their blower that uses 2 18v batteries and it is awesome. Added plus of using the same batteries as all my other cordless tools.

holden
04-14-2019, 03:06 PM
yeah i'd be wary of a new brand without a few years of reviews.

Just noticed Canadian Tire has an 80V Greenworks with 2x 2Ah batteries on sale for $490. It's not self-propelled tho so i'm still leaning towards the 80V costco version for $700. Also the costco version is "Greenworks Pro" whereas the Canadian Tire 80V is just "Greenworks"...not sure if there's a difference in quality between pro and non-pro.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/greenworks-80v-lithium-brushless-cordless-lawn-mower-21-in-0601702p.html#srp

Edit: looking at the pics from canadian tire, it does say Pro on it so maybe it's the same model? so basically either $490 from Canadian tire, or $700 for the same at costco but includes a trimmer.

hmmmmmm decisions. i might grab the canadian tire one just in case they sell out since they say it's an instore clearance

How did you like the mower? Thinking about picking up the 80V on clearance at CT.

Tik-Tok
04-14-2019, 04:37 PM
How did you like the mower? Thinking about picking up the 80V on clearance at CT.

I've had mine for 2 years now. As I mentioned earlier my only complaint is the length of it. I has a single height adjustment bar that moves all 4 wheels at the same time, which makes the nose of it quite long and I can't get as close to my trees and bushes than I like.

Other than that, it's been great, doesn't skip a beat even in really long and wet grass.

sabad66
04-14-2019, 04:58 PM

I bought the one on clearance at CT for $490 but haven’t used it yet. Probably next weekend, will report back

HiTempguy1
04-15-2019, 09:33 AM

My dad has an industrial push LawnBoy he bought new when he ran his landscaping business when he was younger. That damn thing does WORK.

Also, the reason I hate mowing the lawn so much, little 4.5' tall HiTemp weighing 80lbs pushing that fucking thing around to mow the lawn as a kid :rofl:

Now I drink beer on the riding lawnmower when doing my 1.5 acres #feelsgoodman

schurchill39
04-15-2019, 10:04 AM
My Worx mower's battery is toast and its conveniently discontinued so basically I rip into it and hope I can replace the actual batteries or I need to buy a new mower. I have a tiny yard so I was even thinking of just getting a reel mower but not sure how much I'd like that.

sabad66
04-15-2019, 10:57 AM
My Worx mower's battery is toast and its conveniently discontinued so basically I rip into it and hope I can replace the actual batteries or I need to buy a new mower. I have a tiny yard so I was even thinking of just getting a reel mower but not sure how much I'd like that.

what kind of battery does it use? i see both a 36V and 24V lawn mower battery for sale here:
https://www.worx.com/en_CA/accessories/batteries-chargers.html

schurchill39
04-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Its a WA3220 which is a 36V battery. I emailed them on that website but never got anything back.

sabad66
04-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Its a WA3220 which is a 36V battery. I emailed them on that website but never got anything back.

maybe the WA3229 is an updated replacement for the WA3200? if i were you i'd try calling their customer support to ask for sure. 855-279-0505

it would be really bad PR to leave customers dry by discontinuing a battery and not replacing it.

schurchill39
04-15-2019, 04:12 PM
I'll try giving them a call but that WA3229 doesn't look anything like my battery. From what I've found all the forums say its discontinued.

speedog
04-15-2019, 04:41 PM
I'll try giving them a call but that WA3229 doesn't look anything like my battery. From what I've found all the forums say its discontinued.

Battery World can most likely rebuild what you've got.

nagooro
04-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Any thoughts on the mower below? Has a decent amount of positive feedback from the RFD community.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi-20-inch-40-volt-lithium-ion-brushless-cordless-push-lawn-mower-with-5-0-ah-battery-charger/1000858337?irclickid=Un7Q3qzm1xyJWt10EkzjZTwgUklzI%253A1p3wak3k0&irgwc=1&ir_linkd=583694&ir_webid=341376&ir_sid=&ir_affid=TEXT_LINK&ir_affname=RedFlagDeals&eid=The%2520Home%2520Depot%2520-%2520Deeplink_affiliate_inmpact__EN______583694_

edit: or even this one..

https://www.lowes.ca/lawn-mowers/kobalt-40-volt-max-lithium-ion-cordless-lawn-mower-and-string-trimmer-combo-kit_g2790911.html?cm_mmc=aff_cj-_-749547-_-718969-_-11662090#

sabad66
04-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Any thoughts on the mower below? Has a decent amount of positive feedback from the RFD community.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi-20-inch-40-volt-lithium-ion-brushless-cordless-push-lawn-mower-with-5-0-ah-battery-charger/1000858337?irclickid=Un7Q3qzm1xyJWt10EkzjZTwgUklzI%253A1p3wak3k0&irgwc=1&ir_linkd=583694&ir_webid=341376&ir_sid=&ir_affid=TEXT_LINK&ir_affname=RedFlagDeals&eid=The%2520Home%2520Depot%2520-%2520Deeplink_affiliate_inmpact__EN______583694_

https://www.lowes.ca/lawn-mowers/kobalt-40-volt-max-lithium-ion-cordless-lawn-mower-and-string-trimmer-combo-kit_g2790911.html?cm_mmc=aff_cj-_-749547-_-718969-_-11662090#

That Kobalt looks like an amazing deal, especially with the free battery. Can’t tell what size it is though... 19”?

dirtsniffer
04-15-2019, 11:35 PM
Lawn mower has a durable, 16-in cutting deck that offers 2-in-1 mulching or rear bagging capability

So cheap though. I might go pick it up tomorrow

nagooro
04-16-2019, 02:00 AM
Put in an order for the Kobalt just in case it sells out...90 days to decide if I want it :dunno:

dirtsniffer
04-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Nvm

sabad66
04-16-2019, 07:17 AM
If you have a smaller yard 16” is probably ok. Personally I prefer bigger so you have less passes to do saving a bit of time when you mow

Tik-Tok
04-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Personally I prefer bigger so you have less passes to do saving a bit of time when you mow

Thats what she said...

Xtrema
04-16-2019, 09:20 AM

If you have a small lawn, that may do.

I have 19" version and I thought that's too small on around 3000sqft of lawn.

Also, you will never survive on a single 4A battery. You will need 2 of these. I have 2 4A and 3 2As the 2As are almost useless for the mower other than helping out in a jam.

If I have invest in these again in 2019, I would look at 60V or 80V systems.

dirtsniffer
04-16-2019, 09:36 AM
I was looking the the green works 80v and people seem to think a 2a battery is enough for a typical lawn

Tik-Tok
04-16-2019, 09:51 AM
I was looking the the green works 80v and people seem to think a 2a battery is enough for a typical lawn

P=VA
40v X 2 amps = 80 watts
40v X 4 amps = 160 watts
80v X 2 amps = 160 watts

dirtsniffer
04-16-2019, 10:09 AM
right, so the higher voltage will have a lower amperage draw for an equivalent power (and subsequently a longer battery life)

...OR MOAR POWER

sabad66
04-16-2019, 10:13 AM
Mine came with two 2Ah batteries and from what I’m reading they charge in 30 mins and last for 30 mins. So really if it runs out during your mow, swap in the other and charge while you mow. Basically should never be without power with the quick charging

gogreen
04-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Mine is the Green Works 80V (initial review in post 45 of this thread) and I'd say a single 2 Ah battery could do a small to medium size lot easily. I have a 60' wide lot and can do front and back with one battery change, using about 1/3 of the capacity of the second.

The batteries do charge quickly but you'll want to let them cool before recharging.

nagooro
04-16-2019, 10:40 AM
My yard is pretty small. Probably less than 1000sqft so the kobalt should suffice. Put in the order for pick up instore cause there wasn't a shipping option, but it shipped somehow. Oh well, works for me.

bjstare
04-16-2019, 11:07 AM
P=VI
40v X 2 amps = 80 watts
40v X 4 amps = 160 watts
80v X 2 amps = 160 watts

ftfy

schurchill39
04-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Battery World can most likely rebuild what you've got.

So I took it apart and called up battery world to get a price on the lead acid batteries used in it and they want $80 plus tax EACH for them and I need three. So $252 for batteries... I think I'll just buy a new mower because that's highway robbery.

bjstare
04-27-2019, 07:50 AM
So I took it apart and called up battery world to get a price on the lead acid batteries used in it and they want $80 plus tax EACH for them and I need three. So $252 for batteries... I think I'll just buy a new mower because that's highway robbery.

Basically sums up exactly why I want nothing to do with electric yard equipment yet. Can buy a pretty (very) nice gas mower for the price of replacing an electric one every few years.

ExtraSlow
04-27-2019, 10:05 AM
For small yards, I still say plug-in electric is the way to go. I'm rocking the one I bought 13 years ago, and it's still as strong as ever. Basically nothing to wear out, should last forever.

Tik-Tok
04-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Basically sums up exactly why I want nothing to do with electric yard equipment yet. Can buy a pretty (very) nice gas mower for the price of replacing an electric one every few years.

That's why you get a li-ion one. The packs are super easy to rebuild yourself, as internally they're just 18650's

sabad66
04-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Finally got around to using my Greenworks 80V mower on Thursday and pretty impressed so far. Was able to do front and backyard on one battery, but that was with pretty short and still mostly dead grass. Will probably need both once the grass is growing vigorously.

Reading about that experience above, I’m gonna take extra care for the batteries. Will always store them inside and won’t leave them stored empty. Especially since I killed one of my ryobi power tool 18v batteries by storing it empty in the garage all winter.

Hope to get my hands on the leaf blower, hedge trimmer, and yard trimmer as soon as I can find a good deal on them. Thank god for the CT app and the sale alerts feature

schurchill39
05-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Went out and bought the Kobalt 40v Lithium Ion system. There is a sale right now where you get the 16" lawn mower, cordless trimmer, and leaf blower, plus a 4ah and 2.5 ah battery and charger for $400. The wife and I walked around Lowes to price compare and you can buy just the lawn mower and 4ah battery for $400, or the trimmer and 2.5ah batter for $250, or the leaf blower and 2.5ah battery for $250. Also there was a lawn mower & trimmer combo pack with a 4ah batter for $600.

Basically this was half price, or full price for the lawn mower and you got the trimmer, leaf blower and another battery for free. Will report back when it stops snowing long enough to test them out.

nagooro
05-07-2019, 11:40 PM
I picked up this deal last month:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lowes-299-99-50-off-kobalt-40v-max-cordless-mower-trimmer-free-extra-battery-2277926/

Do you know which leaf blower it came with? seems like kobalt makes quite a few

Tik-Tok
05-17-2019, 06:56 PM
https://www.costco.ca/.product.100404517.html?&EMID=CA_EN_2019_190517_1372_dining_event

Pretty decent deal at Costco for the greenworks 80v

84stock
05-18-2019, 11:18 PM
As a lawn care business owner I can attest to the echo cordless being the best battery powered mower out there. It will ramp up power thwn going through longer grass, battery power lasts very well and it bags very well also.

Not a functional thing, but it looks like a real lawn mower, not some aerodynamic creaction

MPowered
05-19-2019, 08:11 AM
Anyone bought the Costco Greenworks products? They seem to have good reviews and pricing looks good.

Tik-Tok
05-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Nope. Never heard of them.

OTown
05-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Anyone bought the Costco Greenworks products? They seem to have good reviews and pricing looks good.

I have the same one as the costco one posted above. Awesome mower with no issues. I have the 82V commercial version but they are pretty much the same other than branding