PDA

View Full Version : Are you a car guy?

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
05-22-2018, 07:34 AM
Straight up, do you consider yourself a car person?

I do minor mechanical work, I've owned about 20 vehicles over the years, but I don't think I'm much of a car guy. Mostly I like boring cars, and I rarely modify my vehicle away from stock configuration.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Very much so. I work in the industry, work on my own cars, work on friends cars, go to car shows, read car magazines, race cars, race karts, keep up with news. Most of my life is consumed by it.

Tik-Tok
05-22-2018, 07:55 AM
I used to be, but my interest has really dwindled off to almost zero the past few years. I used to love having a summer fast/fun/hobby car (of all types), loved working on them, read auto news daily, etc. Now fiduciary responsibility has really taken ahold of me, and after turning wrenches all week at work, I really hate doing it at home.

BavarianBeast
05-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Hell yeah. I plan to have a 20+ car collection by the time I hit 40.

SKR
05-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Yeah I'd say I am. I don't twist my own wrenches, but I don't think you have to to be a car person. I think it's enough just to have an interest beyond the practical point A to point B stuff.

killramos
05-22-2018, 08:31 AM
I don’t think you need to be interest in stickers, fart cans, and towel racks to be a car guy :rofl:

Kloubek
05-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Sure I am. I've owned about 50 cars over the years (bought and sold many of them for profit), and tend to own at least two at a time. I do most of my own mechanical work, and am vastly more knowledgeable than most of my friends about troubleshooting and vehicle values, etc. More than anything though, a nice car simply "moves" me... which is not something I can say about almost anything else I experience in life.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2018, 08:37 AM
More than anything though, a nice car simply "moves" me... which is not something I can say about almost anything else I experience in life.

Holy shit yes. I’ve had cars or experiences in cars, my own and others that are emotional.

ExtraSlow
05-22-2018, 08:42 AM
More than anything though, a nice car simply "moves" me... which is not something I can say about almost anything else I experience in life.good description, and I think this is probably the main differentiating factor. I'm very interested in vehicles on an intellectual level, but don't have that emotional connection.

civicHB
05-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Sure I am. I've owned about 50 cars over the years (bought and sold many of them for profit), and tend to own at least two at a time. I do most of my own mechanical work, and am vastly more knowledgeable than most of my friends about troubleshooting and vehicle values, etc. More than anything though, a nice car simply "moves" me... which is not something I can say about almost anything else I experience in life.

What is the current sweet spot for car values/prices that would be easy to sell? I use to buy a car hold it for a few months then sell for slight gain or break even, but have not done so lately.
It also seems that used car prices are much higher than they were 5 years ago. Would buying a used car of Kijiji for 20-25k and then trying to sell it in a year or so for similar still be possible? thanks.

revelations
05-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Im such a car dork that I think of improvements to my vehicles all the time (and then implement them myself) - and my wife, with her minivan is like "why cant it be ok if it works fine as is" ..... good thing shes understanding

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2018, 08:50 AM
What is the current sweet spot for car values/prices that would be easy to sell? I use to buy a car hold it for a few months then sell for slight gain or break even, but have not done so lately.
It also seems that used car prices are much higher than they were 5 years ago. Would buying a used car of Kijiji for 20-25k and then trying to sell it in a year or so for similar still be possible? thanks.

Totally dependant on the types of vehicles and the deal you get. My best purchases financially have been Tacoma, Miatas and S2000 in that order so far, but I’m willing to bet my Z06 won’t depreciate too much either any time soon.

gretz
05-22-2018, 09:16 AM
I sold all of my cars / trucks /toys to be able to start my shop... To make it possible to machine custom parts for other people's toys. The ultimate sacrifice, I don't have toys so others can have cooler toys lol

That said, I still wrench on cars any chance I get, even if its just to help / lend a hand / prevent people from stealership woes

ExtraSlow
05-22-2018, 09:27 AM
A knowledgeable person could do okay with used pickups in the 20-30k range.

Kloubek
05-22-2018, 09:40 AM

I actually don't buy and sell a lot anymore. Seems like the market is very slow these days. My best suggestion if you are going to try doing this is to get an aged vehicle so if you do have to hold onto it you aren't losing a lot of value, as well as getting a vehicle that is in high demand. By that, I mean a vehicle that appeals to a broader market. And be prepared for ridiculous Kijiji offers of some half of what you're asking. Those kinds of offers are rampant these days. If you are looking newer anyway, consider out of province. While you do have to get the inspection and travel, broadening your selection can be useful for getting the best deal. I grabbed a couple from the USA when our dollar was favourable. Didn't make much money on either, but got to drive these nice vehicles for a year and a half and two years and still made a little money in the end.

When I was buying and selling I usually bought sporty cars so I could have fun with them while I had them on the market. That works, but just be prepared that these vehicles are sometimes rather niche and don't sell as fast. Also challenging to move in the colder months.

I agree with ExtraSlow - a pickup is a good bet since it is not seasonal-dependent, and there is always a market here for them. You may want to consider the auction, as the city sells off their inventory constantly.

Last thing I would suggest is to get a vehicle that you can add value to. If you can do mechanics, get something that needs a bit of work. If you can do body work, don't avoid the ones with a bit of rust and use it as a dickering tool. Some of the best money is to be made by a vehicle that has reduced value for whatever reason and fixing it up. I bought a Jeep TJ a couple of years ago for $2000 because it wasn't running right. Figured out the computer was fried so I replaced it, added a lift, etc. I was all-in for about 4g, sold it for 9g. Bought a Honda Odyssey around the same time for 6, fixed up the rear bumper and got a discount body shop to do the front bumper. Was all in for 7500 and sold it for 11,500.

good description, and I think this is probably the main differentiating factor. I'm very interested in vehicles on an intellectual level, but don't have that emotional connection.

My wife and family don't get it. My mother thinks I haven't grown up because I get these high horsepower vehicles and am always looking to customize/mod them still at over 40. They don't understand the emotional connection to vehicles and to them, vehicles are a point A to point B proposition. To me, it's something special. It's my hobby, and being able to do my own mechanical work gives me good sweat equity value as well.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2018, 09:46 AM
A knowledgeable person could do okay with used pickups in the 20-30k range.

Wholesale to the US is where it’s at right now.

Thaco
05-22-2018, 09:50 AM
i think people have different definitions of this, some people think a car guy is someone who likes high end, flashy, expensive cars, and knows everything about them, but pays someone else to work on their stuff, where as others think being a car guy is being able to do all your own work, knowing the mechanical end inside and out, and taking pride in your work... i am the latter...

Tik-Tok
05-22-2018, 09:58 AM
I think it's both personally. As long as you have an active interest in anything to do with cars, you're a car guy.

Thaco
05-22-2018, 10:00 AM
I think it's both personally. As long as you have an active interest in anything to do with cars, you're a car guy.

i agree, it can be both, but that's kind of the problem, a lot of the time based on the discussion it needs to be defined, and having them both defined with the same term, can really get confusing.

shakalaka
05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
More than I wish I was.

civicHB
05-22-2018, 10:16 AM
I actually don't buy and sell a lot anymore. Seems like the market is very slow these days. My best suggestion if you are going to try doing this is to get an aged vehicle so if you do have to hold onto it you aren't losing a lot of value, as well as getting a vehicle that is in high demand. By that, I mean a vehicle that appeals to a broader market. And be prepared for ridiculous Kijiji offers of some half of what you're asking.

I was thinking of getting an M3 or similar, but very slim pickings right now. Will look into other provinces as mentioned

Totally dependant on the types of vehicles and the deal you get. My best purchases financially have been Tacoma, Miatas and S2000 in that order so far, but I’m willing to bet my Z06 won’t depreciate too much either any time soon.

I have a sweet spot for S2000's but getting harder and harder to find quality one. Kijiji has under a handful right now, in what is peak season.

Tacoma may be one I look into, they are pricy to get into, but appear to hold there value. I'm not familiar enough with other trucks to consider them, but that is where the gains are apparently.

bjstare
05-22-2018, 10:16 AM
More than I wish I was.

Same. Life would be so much easier if I wasn't into cars. Just buy a 10 year old corolla and call it a day. Instead I always have a goal for my next car (typically faster and pricier than whatever my current car is).

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2018, 10:23 AM
I was thinking of getting an M3 or similar, but very slim pickings right now. Will look into other provinces as mentioned

I have a sweet spot for S2000's but getting harder and harder to find quality one. Kijiji has under a handful right now, in what is peak season.

Tacoma may be one I look into, they are pricy to get into, but appear to hold there value. I'm not familiar enough with other trucks to consider them, but that is where the gains are apparently.

The S2000 market sucks now, I originally paid $12k for my 2001 with 129k in July 2015.

Buster
05-22-2018, 10:27 AM
interesting that people think wrenching defines a car guy (or not).

I have no interest in wrenching any more.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2018, 10:32 AM

I don’t do any serious stuff on my own cars anymore either. Brakes and suspension sure but I’m not really interested in pulling engines or doing clutches anymore, I’d rather work more and pay a shop to take on the major headaches.

Thaco
05-22-2018, 10:33 AM

and i have no interest in spending boatloads of money on something that ends up with the same result... getting me from here to there..
or studying stats and engine codes and crap out of a book... i dont get how that's a car guy... that's a book guy.

. i enjoy doing my own work, sure its hard, it sucks, but it definitely gives you a lot of satisfaction in the end, and saves a boatload of money.

Disoblige
05-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Trying to define what a car person is, is just as effective as trying to define a food lover, or someone who loves fashion.

In the end, it comes down to a pretty wide spectrum and even then, everyone has their own take.

rage2
05-22-2018, 10:41 AM
i think people have different definitions of this, some people think a car guy is someone who likes high end, flashy, expensive cars, and knows everything about them, but pays someone else to work on their stuff, where as others think being a car guy is being able to do all your own work, knowing the mechanical end inside and out, and taking pride in your work... i am the latter...
I've never even changed my own oil, or brake pads on any of my cars. The only work I've ever done is to swap wheels.

Hope I'm still a car guy haha.

Thaco
05-22-2018, 10:43 AM
I've never even changed my own oil, or brake pads on any of my cars. The only work I've ever done is to swap wheels.

i never said people who dont do their own tricks arent car guys, i said its so undefined this kind of question without further clarity is completely useless.

dirtsniffer
05-22-2018, 10:43 AM
I consider myself a car guy because I like vehicles.

88CRX
05-22-2018, 10:45 AM
The S2000 market sucks now, I originally paid $12k for my 2001 with 129k in July 2015.

Probably would sell for double that now.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Probably would sell for double that now.

I saw a similar one for sale last fall for $18k, I was close to scooping it up but waited and got a Z06 instead. I’d definitely buy another one in the future if the price was right though.

A790
05-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Cars are awesome and I love tuning them.

But not my daily driver.

And I only have one car.

So I guess I'm not a car guy anymore.

max_boost
05-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Same but I swapped wheels once years ago and I'm never fkn doing it again lol

I thought the qualifier to being a car guy is to - like cars? lol :dunno:

shakalaka
05-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Same. Life would be so much easier if I wasn't into cars. Just buy a 10 year old corolla and call it a day. Instead I always have a goal for my next car (typically faster and pricier than whatever my current car is).

Yup. I am trying to get out of this perpetual state of being bored/unhappy with what I have after a few months and wasting time and money swapping. And like you said, it's usually something bigger and better.

PS: I've never worked on my cars other than the small mod like a grille install or plasti dipping the rims. lol. Back in the day I painted the brake callipers on my 350Z and installed a CAI and stuff. Felt pretty mechanically inclined at that point, although I have no mechanical skills/patience otherwise.

HiTempguy1
05-22-2018, 11:24 AM
i think people have different definitions of this

I completely agree. My own personal definition:

Car Guy - Dude who gets greasy working on his own shit

Car Enthusiast - The guys who talk about the latest in F1, comparing MB and BMW stats, etc. The equivalent of a "sports guy" who doesn't actually play any sports. The difference between participating and spectating.

It was a long weekend, lets get some jimmy's rustled. Beyond is easily 75% car enthusiasts, which is fine. But car guys? No, car guys live the car guy lifestyle. Going out and buying a car for $60-100k is not that lifestyle.

max_boost
05-22-2018, 11:26 AM

It's possible. I did it lol Well not a 10 year old Corolla but an entry level car haha

Kloubek
05-22-2018, 11:37 AM

You're a car poseur.

tcon
05-22-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm a car guy but I only own a truck and a motorcycle at the moment... lol

Thaco
05-22-2018, 11:58 AM
I completely agree. My own personal definition:

Car Guy - Dude who gets greasy working on his own shit

Car Enthusiast - The guys who talk about the latest in F1, comparing MB and BMW stats, etc. The equivalent of a "sports guy" who doesn't actually play any sports. The difference between participating and spectating.

It was a long weekend, lets get some jimmy's rustled. Beyond is easily 75% car enthusiasts, which is fine. But car guys? No, car guys live the car guy lifestyle. Going out and buying a car for $60-100k is not that lifestyle.

agreed... however not many share this definition.

Disoblige
05-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Beyond is easily 75% car enthusiasts, which is fine. But car guys? No, car guys live the car guy lifestyle. Going out and buying a car for $60-100k is not that lifestyle.
What does price have to do with being a car guy? Someone could buy a 60-100k car (new or used/out of warranty) and work on it.

Darkane
05-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Most definitely yes.

First thing I do generally is check autoblog, and forums for new news.

I have a cool car, love talking cars. Will go to the drag strip, auto cross, half mile and car shows.

I’ll go to dealerships just to look at the pretty new cars and admire. (And free coffee lol)

I don’t wrench as much, but will still do suspension, wheels, oil changes, tune ups.

I’ve done as much as full pan to intake rebuilds, custom turbo kits (aside from the welding and bending), and owned everything from 80s firebird to new GTRs.

My desire to wrench is slowly dwindling I must say, but my enthusiasm for ownership and information is getting worse.

gmc72
05-22-2018, 12:31 PM
I voted yes. I'm a former mechanic of 15 years, but am currently not working in the industry any more. I go to car shows, drive around and look at the new models on the dealer's lots, occasionally work on my own vehicles, but nothing major. My personal definition of a car guy is pretty broad, if you like cars (new and old), then you're a car guy in my books.

heavyD
05-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately yes. It's a disease as I can't commit to any car and it's probably cost me a lot of money over the years. Fortunately new cars are so good these days that you really don't need to drop money on mods so I find I'm doing a lot less of that.

heavyD
05-22-2018, 12:38 PM

Never even changed your own oil? For shame. I have changed the oil for every car I've owned. It's a nice way on a weekend to have some one on one time with your car in a garage setting. In my DSM days I had turbo swaps down to a science where I could do one and have the car running in a couple of hours or less.

HiTempguy1
05-22-2018, 12:47 PM
What does price have to do with being a car guy? Someone could buy a 60-100k car (new or used/out of warranty) and work on it.

Well, I mean you could argue a point I didn't make, but it doesn't change what I said.

Somebody buys a $60k car and then does work on it themselves? Car guy. Buys a $60k car and then goes and pays a shop to do work to it? Car enthusiast. Its a pretty simple delineation, spectating vs participating.

killramos
05-22-2018, 12:57 PM
I think the term you are looking for is mechanic :rofl:

Some people are far more interested in the end result than the process.

J-hop
05-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Well, I mean you could argue a point I didn't make, but it doesn't change what I said.

Somebody buys a $60k car and then does work on it themselves? Car guy. Buys a $60k car and then goes and pays a shop to do work to it? Car enthusiast. Its a pretty simple delineation, spectating vs participating.

It is weird because when these guys talk at meets they always say “I”, “yea I swapped to aluminum xxx cfm heads, ported the intake manifold, dropped a high lift cam in. I put in MS fuel and spark management. I put in a turbo kit with a xx trim compressor xx turbine Garrett turbo, meth injection etc etc etc”. You think holy shit this guy knows how to turn wrenches. Then it ends up they had everything done by a shop and the guy just knows how to regurgitate information.......

ExtraSlow
05-22-2018, 01:08 PM
i never said people who dont do their own tricks arent car guys, i said its so undefined this kind of question without further clarity is completely useless.

I left it completely open because I wanted to hear people's opinions of themselves, not anything measured against an objective external standard.

HiTempguy1
05-22-2018, 01:13 PM
It is weird because when these guys talk at meets they always say “I”, “yea I swapped to aluminum xxx cfm heads, ported the intake manifold, dropped a high lift cam in. I put in MS fuel and spark management. I put in a turbo kit with a xx trim compressor xx turbine Garrett turbo, meth injection etc etc etc”. You think holy shit this guy knows how to turn wrenches. Then it ends up they had everything done by a shop and the guy just knows how to regurgitate information.......

For once, you and I can agree on something. For instance, Rage always talks about how he had turbo hondas and shit back in the day, I thought he actually did some work himself. It became apparent a while ago that's not the case. I'm not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with that, but the people are simply not the same (in mindset or know-how). Which is why when people sing the praises of car reviewers like Chris Harris as if they actually know anything I get riled up.

I'd be surprised if you have turned a wrench on anything in your life :p

That's more of an observation than an insult though. First year of eng degree, and even after I went into Instrumentation, 90% of the class hadn't either. Different strokes for different folks. Hence why I separate people into car guy and car enthusiast. They are completely different beyond liking cars in a general sense, and it even shows in what they drive and what they talk about when it comes to cars.

reiRei
05-22-2018, 01:26 PM
am not a guy, but like cars? so.. car person? yes.

killramos
05-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Colour yourself surprised then.

In any case I am way more interested in new technological developments that are coming out of the auto sector and the results that modern development has led to than filling up oil. You are absolutely correct in that regard.

That and I enjoy actually driving my cars.

SKR
05-22-2018, 01:33 PM
I think the term you are looking for is mechanic :rofl:

It's partly that for me, the other part is that in the time it takes a mechanic to do it, I can make more money than he costs me so it would be dumb to spend my time doing his job. I could do it, it just often doesn't make sense to.

killramos
05-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Totally

I am very interested in where along the spectrum of:

I have my chauffeur drive me around in my 250k Maybach which I like quite a lot
to
I literally fabricated a car from scrap metal with my bare hands which I also like quite a lot

When you become a “car guy”

J-hop
05-22-2018, 02:45 PM
It's partly that for me, the other part is that in the time it takes a mechanic to do it, I can make more money than he costs me so it would be dumb to spend my time doing his job. I could do it, it just often doesn't make sense to.

For most of us that isn’t the case. I’d say an average shop rate would be $120/hr, plus the markup on parts the shop charges which means you’d have to make ~$270k/year + for that to make sense. Most of us don't

Edit: forgot diagnostic fees too

I don’t work on my cars during work hours so doesn’t really make sense either. Only makes sense if you would be otherwise making money if you weren’t under your car.

Fact is most people don’t know how, that’s fine. Not saying I do, a buddy of mine has an LS powered car into quadruple digit WHP. I am a complete bumbling amature comparatively speaking, I don’t classify myself a true car guy though either. Just like I’m not an athlete, I just dabble in the gym and rec leagues

Thaco
05-22-2018, 03:32 PM
For most of us that isn’t the case. I’d say an average shop rate would be $120/hr, plus the markup on parts the shop charges which means you’d have to make ~$270k/year + for that to make sense. Most of us don't

Edit: forgot diagnostic fees too

I don’t work on my cars during work hours so doesn’t really make sense either. Only makes sense if you would be otherwise making money if you weren’t under your car.

Fact is most people don’t know how, that’s fine. Not saying I do, a buddy of mine has an LS powered car into quadruple digit WHP. I am a complete bumbling amature comparatively speaking, I don’t classify myself a true car guy though either. Just like I’m not an athlete, I just dabble in the gym and rec leagues

Not to mention, My workday is limited, so working on my own car is not detracting from my income, its simply reducing my spend, its double dipping, i still make the same money i would any other day, but i am also saving the money not paying shop labor.

(edit, i see you did add that in your edit, glad it makes sense to others too)

HiTempguy1
05-22-2018, 03:44 PM
When you become a “car guy”

Well, if you bothered reading, I already said. Participating vs spectating. Its very straightforward. I understand that that more than likely puts you outside the car guy group, but that's alright. I'd say the same thing about a "hockey guy" who doesn't actually play hockey and just watches. You aren't a race car driver unless you actually, you know, race a car (and auto-x is pushing the definition as it is).

The Allen key for Ikea furniture doesn't count as turning a wrench, just to be clear since it seems to be such a difficult concept for you to grasp ;)

dirtsniffer
05-22-2018, 03:46 PM
if you can't rebuild a transmission you are not a car guy

Asian_defender
05-22-2018, 03:49 PM
if you can't rebuild a transmission you are not a car guy

wanna help me do a clutch change on a 06 civic then?

SKR
05-22-2018, 03:52 PM

I don't make that much either. What I mean is, the mechanic has thousands of hours of experience and tens to hundreds of thousand of dollars worth of tools. It would be an investment of much more than $120 an hour for me to have the same ability that he does. He's cheaper than I am so he does the work.

Edit: If it sounds like I'm saying working on vehicles is for dirty peasants, that's not what I mean. I just mean I can fuck around for a weekend trying to get something done, or I can send it to a shop during the week and then drive it all weekend. I get much more enjoyment out of that. Some people love to work on cars. Good for them. I don't think one or the other qualifies or disqualifies you to be a car person.

killramos
05-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Well, if you bothered reading, I already said. Participating vs spectating. Its very straightforward. I understand that that more than likely puts you outside the car guy group, but that's alright. I'd say the same thing about a "hockey guy" who doesn't actually play hockey and just watches. You aren't a race car driver unless you actually, you know, race a car (and auto-x is pushing the definition as it is).

The Allen key for Ikea furniture doesn't count as turning a wrench, just to be clear since it seems to be such a difficult concept for you to grasp ;)

You are the one who doesn’t grasp the concept with your self prophesed and obtuse definition.

Even in terms of participation there are varying degrees, I guarantee there are tons of people out there who do far more than you. Does that mean they are the real car guys and not you?

If you buy pre fabricated parts or kits does that mean you aren’t a car guy? How about if you send your car off to a specialist for some work? How about then? Do you breadboard and program your own ECU? Or did you buy one? Do you truly claim to never have done any of those things?

Get off your high horse you moron :rofl:

bjstare
05-22-2018, 04:23 PM
I definitely am in the group that gets an emotional reaction from cars/driving. My daily thoughts often revolve around car related things. I know how to and have done lots of mechanic-ey things in the past, grew up working on dirt bikes, I know my way around the garage; that being said, I almost never work on my car anymore. I don't think that precludes me from being a car guy.

The hockey guy analogy isn't right. HiTemp - you're saying to be a car guy you have to work on a car. So does that mean that to be a hockey guy you have to sharpen your skates? :rofl:

I think interest (and skill) in performance driving/car control are a better qualifier than how many engine swaps you do every month.

Buster
05-22-2018, 04:48 PM
You are the one who doesn’t grasp the concept with your self prophesed and obtuse definition.

Even in terms of participation there are varying degrees, I guarantee there are tons of people out there who do far more than you. Does that mean they are the real car guys and not you?

If you buy pre fabricated parts or kits does that mean you aren’t a car guy? How about if you send your car off to a specialist for some work? How about then? Do you breadboard and program your own ECU? Or did you buy one? Do you truly claim to never have done any of those things?

Get off your high horse you moron :rofl:

For most people, self-confidence is built as an edifice of things that they think make them special. They often place an unusual degree of importance on these things to elevate themselves in their own eyes. It's important then to make distinctions such as "car guy" and "car enthusiast", because if "car guy" was not exclusive then the whole charade comes crashing down. Then people would have to face the fact that the drudgery of their lives is just the same generic nonsense as the rest of humanity.

I call it "blue eye syndrome", because I had a friend who displayed this trait because of his blue eyes. When he was young people would comment on his blue eyes, and over time as he grew into adulthood, he came to think that blue eyes were actually important - ore more to the point that people actually cared about eye color. Most people don't give a shit about eye color, but if he were to acknowledge that reality, his petty self-confidence construct would dismantle. It was sad to watch.

rage2
05-22-2018, 05:24 PM
For once, you and I can agree on something. For instance, Rage always talks about how he had turbo hondas and shit back in the day, I thought he actually did some work himself. It became apparent a while ago that's not the case. I'm not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with that, but the people are simply not the same (in mindset or know-how). Which is why when people sing the praises of car reviewers like Chris Harris as if they actually know anything I get riled up.
Well to be fair, I tuned a huge number of turbo Hondas here. At one point Toma and I had the Honda tuning market cornered because we were just better than everyone else. Just because I wasn’t mechanically inclined to weld a manifold, mount a turbo, or even solder on a ecu socket doesn’t mean I don’t know how to properly size a turbo for your engine goals, or tune your ecu to run said setup properly without blowing up after 6 months.

So just because I’m not mechanically inclined doesn’t mean I have no idea how things work. So by your definition, is it fair to exclude me as a car guy when the only difference between you and I is that I’m clumsy with a wrench?

Not that I care, but it’s definately an interesting topic of discussion.

ercchry
05-22-2018, 06:31 PM
So hitemp’s definition of a car guy would exclude any top race series team? Cause the only jack of all trade “car guys” would be found in grassroots... when you’re at the top you are going to take every advantage you can afford... and that includes realizing that you’re not the best at everything and someone else might be the right choice for that job

A790
05-22-2018, 06:44 PM
For most people, self-confidence is built as an edifice of things that they think make them special. They often place an unusual degree of importance on these things to elevate themselves in their own eyes. It's important then to make distinctions such as "car guy" and "car enthusiast", because if "car guy" was not exclusive then the whole charade comes crashing down. Then people would have to face the fact that the drudgery of their lives is just the same generic nonsense as the rest of humanity.

I call it "blue eye syndrome", because I had a friend who displayed this trait because of his blue eyes. When he was young people would comment on his blue eyes, and over time as he grew into adulthood, he came to think that blue eyes were actually important - ore more to the point that people actually cared about eye color. Most people don't give a shit about eye color, but if he were to acknowledge that reality, his petty self-confidence construct would dismantle. It was sad to watch.

Who knew murder would read so good? :love::love::love:

Thaco
05-22-2018, 07:23 PM
So hitemp’s definition of a car guy would exclude any top race series team? Cause the only jack of all trade “car guys” would be found in grassroots... when you’re at the top you are going to take every advantage you can afford... and that includes realizing that you’re not the best at everything and someone else might be the right choice for that job

i don't think he ever said you had to know everything, he said several times "spectating vs participating" but in typical beyond fashion, extract what's convenient for you.

Maxt
05-22-2018, 07:38 PM
I met my wife because of RX-7's, I once was a lot more active into it, but going self employed 10 years ago has eaten into the "car guy" lifestyle somewhat now...

ercchry
05-22-2018, 08:09 PM
i don't think he ever said you had to know everything, he said several times "spectating vs participating" but in typical beyond fashion, extract what's convenient for you.

Kinda have to when even that definition is left open to interpretation... I participate in driving the tires off my car, but even if I did so in autox I wouldn’t fit his definition... and if I rather drive than wrench... well then! Not a car guy! Cause even world famous journalists don’t count as participants in his car world!

Thaco
05-22-2018, 08:11 PM
Kinda have to when even that definition is left open to interpretation... I participate in driving the tires off my car, but even if I did so in autox I wouldn’t fit his definition... and if I rather drive than wrench... well then! Not a car guy! Cause even world famous journalists don’t count as participants in his car world!
so would you be that insulted by being called a car enthusiast rather than a "car guy"?

BavarianBeast
05-22-2018, 08:23 PM

So painfully true

ercchry
05-22-2018, 08:31 PM
so would you be that insulted by being called a car enthusiast rather than a "car guy"?

Semantics... plus I’m more so here for the entertainment hitemp brings to threads... I couldn’t care less about anyone’s opinion of my interests. Probably to a fault actually... I don’t even get out to social things like events or shows anymore, just no interest in any sort of dick swinging

max_boost
05-22-2018, 08:45 PM

I like the way you write, bro. It's good shit haha

Sugarphreak
05-22-2018, 09:59 PM

bjstare
05-22-2018, 10:02 PM
I 'd say I'm more of a purist than a car guy... plus I have beautiful blue eyes

I am getting dragged down this path kicking and screaming. I'd like to have multiple cars, but at the same time I can't ignore the extra costs that are mounting up for vehicles that are barely getting used.

One day... one day I'm going to make a comeback as a car guy, haha

It's ok, you don't need to buy more cars for that. You just need to be a mechanic.

Sugarphreak
05-22-2018, 10:04 PM

Buster
05-22-2018, 10:26 PM
I like the way you write, bro. It's good shit haha

hah, thanks.

speedog
05-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Car guy, car enthusiast, I'm not sure what I am.

Will watch pretty much any form of racing, F1, Indy, Stadium Super Trucks, off road, rally, motor bike racing of any kind, drag racing, lawn tractor racing, even tractor pulls - I think my wife and kids think I'm nuts some times when they come into the living room and I've got something as stupid as lawn tractor racing on the TV but it is still racing and the people involved are quite passionate about what they're doing and are often competing as hard as Dale Earnhardt or Tony Stewart did.

I've owned some new vehicles in my life but have bought mostly used and have had incredibly great luck with the used vehicles I've bought over the years. I can admire 60,000+ vehicles but just can not justify the monies to to purchase said vehicles even though I could. I haven't really owned a sports car, would love to but probably won't ever. Have owned motorbikes, iffy if I'll ever again. Have done some racing, won't again. Volunteered heavily in the stock car racing scene in the late 80's/early 90's.

Don't mind wrenching on my own vehicles even though I could pay someone else to do it, have done brakes, CV joints, clutch fans, water pumps, all sorts of electrical - major shit I leave to the pros. Current work vehicle is a 2003 Suburban, paid just under $2k because I can not justify 40-60K if not more to get a work vehicle which will be beat on like so many other trades people I know and see. My requirements were a good running vehicle, no more truck as I was tired of crawling into the box to get tools and not a van because most of them are a bitch in the winter - saw this Suburban pop up on Kijiji that had barn doors and already was set up as a cargo/trades vehicle and I was sold and I just love the thing and it's a 4x4 which addresses winter issues or mud.

Other vehicles, I love looking at the little nuances and details each model has, doesn't matter the cost of the vehicle. The chromed and clapped out white 4x4 with the fake chrome blower stuck on the hood that is driven by and older white guy in the central north end of the city, not my thing but it gives me a giggle every time I seat it. A Fiat X1/9 will turn my head every time and I would have one in my garage but sadly that's probably not going to happen because finding a decent one is near impossible. Love older Fiat Spyders, older Alfa Romeo Spiders, TR7's, old RX7's, El Caminos of course, big old ass Riverias, mid 70's Monte Carlos, early 80's BMW's. Meets, I'll go to them as an observer just to look at whatever.

So a car guy or enthusiast, I just don't know.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2018, 08:24 AM
The chromed and clapped out white 4x4 with the fake chrome blower stuck on the hood that is driven by and older white guy in the central north end of the city, not my thing but it gives me a giggle every time I seat it.
I think that guy has two trucks, on a 2004-2008 F150 and one a slightly newer super duty. Both have every possible bit of stick-on chrome or reflective stuff. Always driving slow, and I think it's the same older white dude driving them. That guy makes me smile, h'es living his dream obviously.

Kloubek
05-23-2018, 08:48 AM

See, I think if your idea is to resell that an M3 is a poor proposition. Not only do they depreciate like a motherfucker, unless you snag one with low mileage you take a huge portion of the market out of it because not many people want a moderate to high mileage BMW. Additionally, as the M3 is the highest performance variant, you further reduce the market to those who know and desire that particular model. You also have to battle the people who feel an M3 must have been bagged on. Your choice man, but if the idea is to resell that's one of the worst cars you can pick.

rage2
05-23-2018, 09:40 AM
See, I think if your idea is to resell that an M3 is a poor proposition. Not only do they depreciate like a motherfucker, unless you snag one with low mileage you take a huge portion of the market out of it because not many people want a moderate to high mileage BMW. Additionally, as the M3 is the highest performance variant, you further reduce the market to those who know and desire that particular model. You also have to battle the people who feel an M3 must have been bagged on. Your choice man, but if the idea is to resell that's one of the worst cars you can pick.
Depends on the M3. E92 M3's bottomed out a year ago and is now going up slightly in price. Private sellers asking crack money for them lately.

bjstare
05-23-2018, 10:03 AM
I think that guy has two trucks, on a 2004-2008 F150 and one a slightly newer super duty. Both have every possible bit of stick-on chrome or reflective stuff. Always driving slow, and I think it's the same older white dude driving them. That guy makes me smile, h'es living his dream obviously.

I actually bought my first house a couple doors down from this guy. Last time I was in the neighborhood, it was a Ranger and a Super Duty. It's just so outrageous, but you can't help but be happy for the guy, cause he thinks they're the hottest trucks on the road. He really is living the dream.

you&me
05-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Depends on the M3. E92 M3's bottomed out a year ago and is now going up slightly in price. Private sellers asking crack money for them lately.

Plus, a lot of the market had been based on import-ability of US cars, which had previously increased the rate of deprecation. With the current forex, competition from imports is all but eliminated, and in some cases reversed due to exports, so supply has been constrained and the market has firmed up over the last ~18 months... You can see the same thing in anything that was commonly imported... I have a friend that just made money on a 997 Turbo after he imported it almost 4 years ago!

ercchry
05-23-2018, 11:43 AM
im happy that im not alone on the M3 thing! i enjoy looking at them on kijiji and noticing a flat market almost 2 years later than when i got mine... which still seems like a decent deal with the m-mode, idrive, edc, 6spd options i snagged

shakalaka
05-23-2018, 11:44 AM

I have been looking at E46 M3's and noticed that they started to creep back up in price. Should have picked one up last year or something and now just don't feel like the extra $5K or so that each person seems to be asking for a car that's freaking decade and a half old.

BavarianBeast
05-23-2018, 12:03 PM
I remember the days when you could pick up an E30 M3 for $20k. Now they’re selling for $70k+.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-23-2018, 12:15 PM
I remember the days when you could pick up an E30 M3 for $20k. Now they’re selling for $70k+.

I've been keeping an eye out for an E36 M3, and they're still absurd. They're miled out, rusted, and beat, and they still want $15k+. I've seen a miled out but stock one list for $20k from a used car lot. I can't justify that.

I'd be in the market for an E92 M3 if I hadn't picked up my S2000 instead. When I was looking 3 years ago, an 08 was $35k, and anything newer was minimum $50k still.

That being said, I'd like to consider myself a car guy.

pheoxs
05-23-2018, 10:48 PM
I used to be. Modded everything I could get my hands on, always went out to meets, events, car shows all the time. Pretty much all my friends lived and breathed cars too.

But then it sort of just changed. Sold the toy car for a DD and moved to Calgary and haven't really met anyone here to feed off their energy so have been lacking the motivation to grab another toy. Also there's not really and fun cars anymore to have as cheap projects. 5-10 years ago you could throw a rock and have a ton of 240s, rx7s, older supras, etc for sale all with plenty of potential. Now there's basically nothing for turbo rwd cars on the market. The few that around seem to be beat to shit or ridiculously overpriced.

yipb
05-24-2018, 07:09 PM
I've been keeping an eye out for an E36 M3, and they're still absurd. They're miled out, rusted, and beat, and they still want $15k+. I've seen a miled out but stock one list for $20k from a used car lot. I can't justify that.

I'd be in the market for an E92 M3 if I hadn't picked up my S2000 instead. When I was looking 3 years ago, an 08 was $35k, and anything newer was minimum $50k still.

That being said, I'd like to consider myself a car guy.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1999-bmw-m3-manual-e36-for-sale/1357342569?utm_source=WhatsApp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-24-2018, 07:37 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1999-bmw-m3-manual-e36-for-sale/1357342569?utm_source=WhatsApp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Well there's my mistake. I was only looking in Calgary. Hot damn.

yipb
05-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Well there's my mistake. I was only looking in Calgary. Hot damn.

What do you think is a fair price for this? I am actually in the market too and stumbled into this thread

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-24-2018, 08:50 PM
What do you think is a fair price for this? I am actually in the market too and stumbled into this thread

Honestly, no idea. I'd love an E30 really, but I'll never afford one, and the wife told me I can't get another car. I'd ideally like to pay 12k for one, but I'm not sure what a fair market value actually is.

A2VR6
05-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Oh man E36 M3's.... always had a soft spot for the 4 door.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-25-2018, 07:59 AM
Oh man E36 M3's.... always had a soft spot for the 4 door.

I'd love to find one in techno violet. My second choice would be the green. Even if I did find one, the wife likely would discourage me from pulling the trigger. Apparently you can have too many cars.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Apparently you can have too many cars.

There's no such thing. You just run out of room, so need a bigger place to keep them.

flipstah
05-25-2018, 08:35 AM
I can't rebuild a transmission but always diagnosing electrical fires and haphazardly resolving them.

Does that make me a car guy?

gretz
05-25-2018, 09:21 AM
It depends on if you caused the fires or not

98brg2d
05-25-2018, 09:32 AM
I am not sure if I am a car guy anymore (or ever was according to some definitions here). I have never changed oil, belts or brake pads. I have rnr radiator, intake manifold, throttle body, removed egr, turbo manifold, all intercooler piping, sway bars, adjusted drum brakes, poly bushings on rear end of car (front needed a press), heli-coiled stuff, installed electrical and mechanical gauges, resoldered stock clusters, fuel pumps, modified fuel pump canisters, rebuilt rising rate fuel pressure regulator, run fuel and vacuum lines, fuse blocks, sensors, made little brackets etc. I am not sure if I could do all of that anymore, without taking an inordinate amount of time to get it done. Mind you, all this turbo stuff is on an originally non-turbo car. In my mind, adding things on and taking them back off is easier than removing and replacing stock components since they are usually designed to be done by the home mechanic whereas there is an assumption in the design phase of a new car that an experienced mechanic is going to be doing things like timing belts, cam seals, clutches etc.

So I haven't done anything that most people would consider "basic maintenance" and conversely have done many things that people that do "basic maintenance" would never touch. I have actually been asked if I am a car guy before and my answer was that I like cars and can do some work on them but not the basics and no engine or transmission internals. I bet there are a lot of people in my situation that have done stuff that at first glance seems very hard but is actually probably the easier stuff to do.

flipstah
05-25-2018, 10:27 AM
It depends on if you caused the fires or not

Does thin smoke randomly appearing through vents while driving count as a self-induced issue?

rage2
05-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Does thin smoke randomly appearing through vents while driving count as a self-induced issue?
Buying a Porsche 928 automatically qualifies as self induced.