PDA

View Full Version : 2018 M2 or 2018 Civic Type R. Which one should I get?

Pages : [1] 2

heavyD
05-23-2018, 10:10 AM
First things first. I never create threads and I've tended to frown on this type of thread because I feel you shouldn't base your purchase on the opinions of internet strangers. In this case I think I know what I'm going to do but was curious because I've never owned a BMW so I don't know if there's anything I've overlooked as far as ownership goes. So I sold my Golf R and now I'm in a little predicament where I have money down on a 2018 M2 that's supposed to be delivered in June and have had a deposit on a Civic Type R for a while and just got an email it should be delivered in 3 weeks. First world issue I know but I'm kind of torn right now on which car to go with. Going back to my Honda fanboy days a CTR was always a dream car and I have got used to the looks and no longer think it's ugly but the M2 is RWD and is just a nicer overall car. I did get the M2 below MSRP which is the only reason I was interested so while it's obviously more money I feel I've got a pretty decent deal but I feel the CTR will have much better resale because it's such a fanboy car. In a perfect world I would buy both but life isn't perfect (for me at least).

vengie
05-23-2018, 10:11 AM
M2 >>>>>>>>>> ctr

gpomp
05-23-2018, 10:16 AM
CTR because you can disable the auto rev match. And it handles pretty good.

HiTempguy1
05-23-2018, 10:19 AM
FWD is gay as aids, regardless of how "awesome handling" a car may be. It doesn't matter, the dynamics of rwd handling are almost always better from feel to just the fun of it.

Get the M2.

A2VR6
05-23-2018, 10:19 AM
M2 >>>>>>>>>> ctr

:werd: RWD M car will be way more fun than a FWD Honda.

Sure the M2 resale will take a hit when the competition version comes out but the M2 is better dynamically in every way than the CTR. The only thing the CTR has is practicality with the 5 doors but if you dont need that i'd say M2 hands down.

killramos
05-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Not even a debate.

CTR is just pure fanboi material.

Get the M2

88CRX
05-23-2018, 10:24 AM
What the difference in sticker price between the two options? $30k or more?

heavyD
05-23-2018, 10:31 AM
What the difference in sticker price between the two options? $30k or more?

Price isn't an issue so it's not a factor in my decision. I suppose it's a bonus the CTR is less money but I'm all about the car (I love compacts and don't like mid-size, SUV, or trucks) not the price point as if it was all about getting a baller car I would have got an M4 years ago but I buy cars that I really like, not to impress others.

colinxx235
05-23-2018, 10:50 AM
I feel like the M2 blows it out of the water. Who needs 4 doors and I'm assuming you are in your 30s. I'd take the faster RWD much more refined car over the rather heavy Ricer looking CTR.

Rocket1k78
05-23-2018, 11:08 AM
These are 2 pretty different cars no? 2 door clean coupe vs 4 door body kitted sedan
I need 4 doors so for me the civic gets my vote. I was beside a white one on the weekend and it looked pretty cool

Asian_defender
05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
I voted CTR based on overall (sale price, resale, doors, ease of my own maintanence etc).
If you are purely looking for fun to drive I would go M2. I personally prefer the CTR as I can't stand 2 door cars now

max_boost
05-23-2018, 11:21 AM
M2 all the way

bjstare
05-23-2018, 11:40 AM
If you need this car to be practical, obviously the M2 loses to a 5 door hatch. Aside from that (and nostalgia, depends how strongly you feel about the CTR), there is no reason to get the Civic. As mentioned by pretty much all the others, RWD>>>FWD, regardless of how good the FWD is. Doesn't matter if it's the best handling FWD car on the planet, still would rather have RWD.

shakalaka
05-23-2018, 11:40 AM
M2. I am biased though.

beyond_ban
05-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Overall aesthetics, RWD, interior and being able to be taken seriously when you jump out of the drivers seat are the reasons i would take the M2.

4doorj
05-23-2018, 12:49 PM
I'm biased and a honda fanboy. I voted type r hahaha

Sentry
05-23-2018, 12:50 PM
The obvious choice here is an Accord Coupe 6-6

G-ZUS
05-23-2018, 12:59 PM
https://static.carthrottle.com/workspace/uploads/comments/828c46cd249600b624b0c5be61b82644.jpeg

infamous
05-23-2018, 01:12 PM
ctr, only because I love Honda's and I think they are awesome.

heavyD
05-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Overall aesthetics, RWD, interior and being able to be taken seriously when you jump out of the drivers seat are the reasons i would take the M2.

I generally don't care what people think about me as I go to heavy metal concerts where I'm one of the oldest dudes there but I am in my 40's and I know I will get razzed at work pulling up in the CTR ha ha ha. Not that it bothers me but I do wonder if it's time to move on from the boy racer cars. The M2 interior is just okay. It looks like the M3/M4 interior but when you sit in both you realize the M3/M4 has different materials and leather that are of higher quality. I find the RS3 and AMG CLA 45 interiors are nicer at a generally lower price point than the M2 but I feel those cars are a little too similar to the Golf R and the M2 has RWD fun factor.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Both are special in their own ways. I’d love to own both at some point personally but since the CTR is cheaper I’d go with that.

Swank
05-23-2018, 02:03 PM
I too was on the fence about getting a CTR, and in the end it lost. Just not a reasonable daily driver for me. The 16K KM lifespan tires and odd ball bolt pattern already spelled unreasonable upkeep costs (I know money isn't a concern for you), I also far prefer a 2 door coupe for anything remotely sporty.

killramos
05-23-2018, 02:06 PM
16k tires :nut:

It’s a civic not a Bugatti

dirtsniffer
05-23-2018, 02:08 PM
16k as in 16,000 km lifespan?

88CRX
05-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Just not a reasonable daily driver for me. The 16K tires and odd ball bolt pattern already spelled unreasonable upkeep costs (I know money isn't a concern for you).

New tires cost money but how does 5x120 bolt pattern cause unreasonable upkeep costs?

Most owners are selling the OEM wheel and tires for more then a decent new set of aftermarket wheels and tires cost.... so technically that would save you money in the long run.

4doorj
05-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Yah I'm sure he means 16000km lifespan.
I've heard shorter lifespan. Less then 10000 km
Also people are breaking the rims/tires on every pot hole hahha. The rubber is too thin.

Swank
05-23-2018, 02:13 PM
New tires cost money but how does 5x120 bolt pattern cause unreasonable upkeep costs?

Most owners are selling the OEM wheel and tires for more then a decent new set of aftermarket wheels and tires cost.... so technically that would save you money in the long run.

My current winter rims/rubber won't fit.

And yes, 4doorj nailed it (edited my post accordingly).

ercchry
05-23-2018, 02:13 PM
I think the obvious choice here is the M3/4!

killramos
05-23-2018, 02:14 PM
Oh lol, I knew that sounded ridiculous but I wasn’t sure if that was some kind of game they were playing for better ring times.

Nothing stopping you putting normal tires on the thing. M2 will eat rear tires as well though Michelin’s hold up pretty wel to rwd abuse.

I still have no idea why anyone would buy the ctr, it’s pretty much as unappealing to me as a Kia stinger. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

Team_Mclaren
05-23-2018, 02:27 PM
Is there an option for buying both? lol

In all honesty though, they are both amazing even driving them back to back. The M2 is definitely better built and sounds better, but they are equally fun. imo the CTR is easier to drive fast and the M2 is more lively and on the edge.

- - - Updated - - -

I too was on the fence about getting a CTR, and in the end it lost. Just not a reasonable daily driver for me. The 16K KM lifespan tires and odd ball bolt pattern already spelled unreasonable upkeep costs (I know money isn't a concern for you), I also far prefer a 2 door coupe for anything remotely sporty.

After one and a half track day and 2000km the oem tires were done on mine. as for the odd ball bolt pattern, they are just BMW bolt patterns, nothing crazy about them.

Darkane
05-23-2018, 02:29 PM
I generally don't care what people think about me as I go to heavy metal concerts where I'm one of the oldest dudes there but I am in my 40's and I know I will get razzed at work pulling up in the CTR ha ha ha. Not that it bothers me but I do wonder if it's time to move on from the boy racer cars. The M2 interior is just okay. It looks like the M3/M4 interior but when you sit in both you realize the M3/M4 has different materials and leather that are of higher quality. I find the RS3 and AMG CLA 45 interiors are nicer at a generally lower price point than the M2 but I feel those cars are a little too similar to the Golf R and the M2 has RWD fun factor.

Did you go to Slayer last Saturday? I didn’t see anyone with a type R shirt there..

I’d probably get the M2, but the Honda always holds a spot in my heart.

heavyD
05-23-2018, 02:40 PM

In all honesty though, they are both amazing even driving them back to back. The M2 is definitely better built and sounds better, but they are equally fun. imo the CTR is easier to drive fast and the M2 is more lively and on the edge.

- - - Updated - - -

After one and a half track day and 2000km the oem tires were done on mine. as for the odd ball bolt pattern, they are just BMW bolt patterns, nothing crazy about them.

So if you could only keep one to drive as your car which one would it be?

Did you go to Slayer last Saturday? I didn’t see anyone with a type R shirt there..

I’d probably get the M2, but the Honda always holds a spot in my heart.

I may have gone had my oldest boy not had a Lacrosse tournament in Red Deer. I used to be a big Anthrax fan in the day as well as Slayer.

88CRX
05-23-2018, 03:00 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The Honda ricer hater has spoken.... CTR = M2 hahahhaha. Who would have ever guessed.

Team_Mclaren
05-23-2018, 03:11 PM
The Honda ricer hater has spoken.... CTR = M2 hahahhaha. Who would have ever guessed.

hahah i never said that. I wouldnt compare them directly.

So if you could only keep one to drive as your car which one would it be?

I'd pick the M2 because the interior is nicer and it sounds sooooo much better. But i'm not sure it's 30k nicer. if that makes any sense.

austic
05-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Not much of choice for me but they are not normally cars you would cross shop. M2 is a few classes up from the fanboy civic

Rocket1k78
05-23-2018, 03:26 PM
I generally don't care what people think about me as I go to heavy metal concerts where I'm one of the oldest dudes there but I am in my 40's and I know I will get razzed at work pulling up in the CTR ha ha ha. Not that it bothers me but I do wonder if it's time to move on from the boy racer cars.

Its time to move on lol The civic is nice but if youre at all doubting boy racer mode im sure you'd get sick of it sooner than later, its pretty much full body kit with big spoiler lol

jaylo
05-23-2018, 04:41 PM
The M2 will be a much more enjoyable car year-round and suits your age.

I just cannot imagine someone in their 30s or 40s cruising around in a CTR.

max_boost
05-23-2018, 05:21 PM
The M2 will be a much more enjoyable car year-round and suits your age.

I just cannot imagine someone in their 30s or 40s cruising around in a CTR.

I use to think 30s/40s was old but now that I'm closer to 40 than 30, it's not old at all. I would totally bomb around in a CTR or M2 if I could afford one.

A2VR6
05-23-2018, 05:22 PM
I still have no idea why anyone would buy the ctr, it’s pretty much as unappealing to me as a Kia stinger. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

Try driving one, it'll blow your mind how fun it is. But again I think the Fiesta ST is fun so what do I know :rofl:

gpomp
05-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Try driving one, it'll blow your mind how fun it is. But again I think the Fiesta ST is fun so what do I know :rofl:

You know you’re the ultimate Honda fanboy when you think your FWD econobox is better than a 911 Turbo! :rofl:

HiTempguy1
05-23-2018, 05:34 PM
I totally get the appeal of the CTR.

Its like when a Fiat 500 Abarth pulls up with a cat delete. Its stupidly hilarious, no different than my firefly turbo days. Pointless, but awesome in its own way.

Its the cross shopping that makes it difficult, especially in different categories and price ranges. If you are interested in the M2, there aren't really any reasons to go with the CTR. But if you are looking at Focus RS, GolfR, STi, Evo, yea, they are all awd, but in the summertime, it doesn't matter, and in the winter, you aren't going to hoon the shit out of a $55k car anyways so I'd be much more inclined to give the CTR the nod.

The biggest problem by far with the CTR is it's fucking huge and heavy for what it is. Boi racer mode is fine, nothing wrong if done correctly, and the CTR looks the part.

A2VR6
05-23-2018, 05:38 PM
You know you’re the ultimate Honda fanboy when you think your FWD econobox is better than a 911 Turbo! :rofl:

Guilty as charged haha :rofl:

gpomp
05-23-2018, 05:39 PM
The biggest problem by far with the CTR is it's fucking huge and heavy for what it is. Boi racer mode is fine, nothing wrong if done correctly, and the CTR looks the part.

So this is not the first time the size of the Civic has been brought into question here. Are you guys referring to the weight of the car or the length? The CTR weighs 350 lbs less than the M2 and is a mere 3 inches longer in length. 3 inches is nothing when comparing a 5 door hatchback to a 2 door sports car.

dirtsniffer
05-23-2018, 05:47 PM
...is a mere 3 inches longer in length. 3 inches is nothing..

I've been trying to convince my wife of the same thing.

Redlined_8000
05-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Honestly moving from a Golf R to the CTR is a downgrade so i'd pick the M2.

jaylo
05-23-2018, 09:58 PM
I use to think 30s/40s was old but now that I'm closer to 40 than 30, it's not old at all. I would totally bomb around in a CTR or M2 if I could afford one.

Found another Honda Fanboy here. Go back and drive your NSX.

NissanFanBoy
05-23-2018, 10:04 PM
Stick to Nissan/Infiniti just kidding.. honestly the M2 along with the Audi S3 are two of my favourite cars right now, that would be ideal combo/ dream team...but I'm not rich so I'm stuck with an 09 Z and an 09 G haha!

I honestly don't "get" the Type R, what is it trying to be?

danno
05-23-2018, 10:10 PM
I think the type r is hideous, sounds like it’s a great car though. I’m not a fan of the m2 either though. If those are my options I’d take m2.

I still have my golf r but I went backwards and got another rs4 to keep me happy. Why did you switch from the golf r?? Maybe I missed it.

ShermanEF9
05-23-2018, 11:57 PM
I sat in the Type R at the auto show, and from a comfort and overall feel side of things, I have never been more disappointed.

georgemagana
05-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Have zero experience with either car but.... M2.

I think you have to be a hardcore Honda fanboy to find an appeal to the Type R. (not trying to offend anybody here, just explaining why me and most people I know have zero interest on the Type R)

Team_Mclaren
05-24-2018, 02:09 AM
Have zero experience with either car but.... M2.

I think you have to be a hardcore Honda fanboy to find an appeal to the Type R. (not trying to offend anybody here, just explaining why me and most people I know have zero interest on the Type R)

Why, I've been a Honda hater since the inception of beyond and i still enjoy the CTR. If you are gonna shit on it because it's FWD that only means you haven't driven one. To me it's very irrelevant to how enjoyable a car can be. I've owned them all, FWD/AWD/RWD. Hell I have one of each right now.

georgemagana
05-24-2018, 08:03 AM
Nope, nothing related to the car being fwd for me.

Like I said, it just doesn't appeal to me. I appreciate it as a performance car and I have read the great reviews on it but just doesn't click for me.

bjstare
05-24-2018, 08:46 AM
I honestly don't "get" the Type R, what is it trying to be?

Are you serious? haha it's trying to be a hot hatch, just like it's been for the last 20 years (or whenever they started making the CTR).

bigbadboss101
05-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Now M2 vs Golf R. What would YOU prefer? I am a Honda guy but surely the 3 cars are different in many aspects and I would too go the Europ route if $ is not a factor.

Mitsu3000gt
05-24-2018, 08:58 AM

I'll bet you haven't driven one with a comment like that. Probably one of the most fun cars you can buy right now, and incredibly easy to drive hard.

At any rate, I would take the M2...given that it's almost double the value and would never normally be cross shopped with a CTR, that shouldn't be too surprising.

npham
05-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Are you serious? haha it's trying to be a hot hatch, just like it's been for the last 20 years (or whenever they started making the CTR).Don't mind him, he can't see past his Nissan boner. I swear every car recommendation thread on here, he's going on about his two Nissans, or how you should pick some sort of Nissan instead. Gotta give him credit, he is dedicated to his brand.

Back on topic, M2 if this is purely a driving/fun car. CTR if you need to put the dog in the backseat or plan to daily it.

civicHB
05-24-2018, 11:50 AM
this 2016 M2 is closely priced to the CTR - low Kms and depreciation hit has been taken. Would be an even easier decision vs a new CTR

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2016-bmw-m2/1357364207?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

bjstare
05-24-2018, 11:56 AM
this 2016 M2 is closely priced to the CTR - low Kms and depreciation hit has been taken. Would be an even easier decision vs a new CTR

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2016-bmw-m2/1357364207?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm not super educated on it, but isn't the new M2 significantly better than the 2016?

killramos
05-24-2018, 12:04 PM
The new M2 competition is WAY better. That said the old one is still really good.

Chandler_Racing
05-24-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm likely in the minority but the M2 is boring to me.

Given the choice, I would purchase the CTR and put $30,000 in my pocket.

Feels weird to be cross shopping these two vehicles though.

blitz
05-24-2018, 01:52 PM
I like my Fiesta ST more than any of the faster cars I've owned. :dunno:

CLiVE
05-24-2018, 02:24 PM
I really like the M2....but I had too many problems with the BMWs I've owned to buy another. After owning a 3 series I bought 3 Hondas in a row. lol
As an only car / daily driver, I would be tempted to choose the CTR. As a second car with something else already in the garage the M2.

Mitsu3000gt
05-24-2018, 02:50 PM
I really like the M2....but I had too many problems with the BMWs I've owned to buy another. After owning a 3 series I bought 3 Hondas in a row. lol
As an only car / daily driver, I would be tempted to choose the CTR. As a second car with something else already in the garage the M2.

You bring up a good point. I'd rather have a M2 if no other factors were involved, but I'd rather own/dd a CTR considering reliability, maintenance, resale, etc.

benyl
05-24-2018, 03:37 PM
The obvious choice here is an Accord Coupe 6-6

I second this motion.

jaylo
05-24-2018, 05:22 PM
I just realized that the M2 cost $30,000 more give or take. According to my Honda fanboy roots and saving some money, a black CTR should be tolerable!

Buster
05-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Black is the way to go. It hides a lot of the...questionable...styling.

Otherwise go bright green, cuz that always tones things down.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Black is the way to go. It hides a lot of the...questionable...styling.

Otherwise go bright green, cuz that always tones things down.

Kermit the Honda

Aleks
05-25-2018, 07:38 AM

$58,000 vs $45,000 isn't really closely priced, and it's really hard to compare new vs used. The BMW is half way or more through its warranty period.

Rocket1k78
05-25-2018, 09:48 AM
$58,000 vs $45,000 isn't really closely priced, and it's really hard to compare new vs used. The BMW is half way or more through its warranty period.

100% agreed and very valid point on the warranty part

blownz
05-25-2018, 02:24 PM
M2 just because I can't stand the look of the Civic. Definitely a modern day Aztek. I don't know why Honda likes making such ugly cars. They make good reliable cars, just hideous.

Or another Golf R maybe...

jaylo
05-25-2018, 04:00 PM
The Extended Warranty and maintenance beyond the 4 year/80K warranty is what hurts the wallet the most. Being an M car it's more money as well.

ercchry
05-25-2018, 04:12 PM
The Extended Warranty and maintenance beyond the 4 year/80K warranty is what hurts the wallet the most. Being an M car it's more money as well.

That’s an interesting chart... in regards to time playing a bigger factor in cost than actual use

killramos
05-25-2018, 04:14 PM
I dunno. I would totally pay 7k for a 10 year factory warranty on an M car if I was sure I would keep it that long.

Edit: Oh wait, that’s third party with a deductible. Never mind then that’s pretty overpriced.

tehwegz
05-25-2018, 09:35 PM
M2 doesn't weigh that much less than an M4, interior isn't all that great. That's me being nitpicky and not appreciating it for the "return to E46 M3 sizing" drivers car that it is though.

Maybe consider an Audi TTRS? 5 cylinder turbo wails as nicely as the V10 it's R8 relative gets. The push button start...is on the steering wheel. It has a button with exhaust pipes on it to make it louderer. Definitely feels like a special car, quite literally a mini R8. I view it in a completely different light than previous TT's.

When one was placed by a Focus hocus pocus RS and a BMW M2, I couldn't get my eyes off the TT RS.

Alternatively there's the Audi RS3.

dirtsniffer
05-25-2018, 10:06 PM
After market warranties are shit.

Boostn
05-25-2018, 11:09 PM
I would have kept the Golf R! ;) However out of those 2 options, M2 all the way. I agree with the TT RS mentioned above, I would take that over the CTR or M2. The downside is the higher cost but if you're spending $60K who cares right? :D

Sugarphreak
05-25-2018, 11:20 PM

jaylo
05-26-2018, 06:02 AM
After market warranties are shit.

BMW NA does not offer Extended Factory Warranty anymore.

The previous BMW Extended Factory Warranty they had was 1 year for $6K and 2 years for $10K.

All of BMW Canada dealerships are pushing the SecureDrive provided by LGM Financial Services.

ray8181
05-27-2018, 05:14 PM
I would personally wait for the M2 competition which is out in a few months.

They're already taking orders on them and are pretty much the same price as the regular M2

tcon
05-27-2018, 06:20 PM
How is this even a question?

M2 all dey wey

gpomp
05-30-2018, 11:47 AM
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2018/ford-focus-rs-honda-civic-type-r-volkswagen-golf-r-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-comparison/

Disoblige
05-30-2018, 12:04 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2018/ford-focus-rs-honda-civic-type-r-volkswagen-golf-r-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-comparison/
It's funny to see that the RS has the lowest weight/hp.

Also interesting to see such high 0-60's from the Subaru and Golf. Maybe tires?

heavyD
05-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Subaru went to 19" wheels in 2018 and their straight line times have increased over the 2015-2017 versions as the EJ257 isn't a strong engine compared to the competition and the extra mass of the wheels seems to have taken a toll. At $50K USD for the RA I think it's time for the STI to be put down like an old horse. As for the Golf R that's a pretty slow time but the manual versions have always been considerably slower than DSG. If they put a DSG in this competition it likely finishes first in acceleration times. Type R is a pretty amazing performer considering it's FWD and should be at a disadvantage to these cars.

Mitsu3000gt
05-31-2018, 11:48 AM

The RS sure starts slowing down a lot after that initial launch - the CTR would be pulling on it past 60/70 MPH. It also has by far the worst breaking distance. In that group you don't really seem to get much for that extra $5-15K except AWD.

I dunno about the tires, all the cars were on a max performance summer tire though. My guess is that the Golf R did not have DSG to keep things consistent, so it got a lower 0-60.

jaylo
11-26-2018, 11:45 AM
Any updates heavyD?

I ditched the idea of the CTR early this year, the 40 year old me cannot justify the cost when there's a plethora of performance vehicles in used form at that price range.

heavyD
11-26-2018, 11:46 AM
I got the M2. Very happy with the decision.

shakalaka
11-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Well done.

Wish it wasn't so damn small for me, I would have had one last year. Enjoy it bud.

heavyD
11-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Well done.

Wish it wasn't so damn small for me, I would have had one last year. Enjoy it bud.

Thanks. It's a bit small but I'm used to smaller cars. Biggest surprise so far is how good the factory exhaust sounds. Sounds like a domestic V8 rather than a turbocharged 6-cyl.

Buster
11-27-2018, 02:39 PM
I still can't believe that this thread exists, lol

Team_Mclaren
11-28-2018, 02:59 AM
Thanks. It's a bit small but I'm used to smaller cars. Biggest surprise so far is how good the factory exhaust sounds. Sounds like a domestic V8 rather than a turbocharged 6-cyl.

did you opt for the M performance exhaust, imo it's worth every penny

killramos
11-28-2018, 08:59 AM
Did you get the vanilla M2 or the competition?

Hallowed_point
11-28-2018, 12:01 PM
Great choice. What a tough decision! They're both awesome choices for different reasons. That's a coin flip. Pictures? Stick shift?

heavyD
11-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Did you get the vanilla M2 or the competition?

Sorry to disappoint you but I got the vanilla M2 because it was a good deal. Competitions started arriving in the fall and to be honest I would have got a discounted M3/M4 over the M2C at MSRP as it's a little on the high side.

Chester
11-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Sorry to disappoint you but I got the vanilla M2 because it was a good deal. Competitions started arriving in the fall and to be honest I would have got a discounted M3/M4 over the M2C at MSRP as it's a little on the high side.

Are you daily driving it? How tall are you? I've been considering an M2. TIA.

jaylo
11-28-2018, 01:36 PM

I would test drive an M240i long term ask them if you can take it for the afternoon.

killramos
11-28-2018, 01:46 PM
I never found the interior space in the 2 any worse than the 3 or 4 for the driver and front passenger. Rear passengers is a completely different story.

heavyD
11-28-2018, 01:49 PM

I'm <6' so not tall so I'm good with sunroof but from what I have read there's no issues unless you are in the range or 6'3" or taller and then you best take a long drive to see if you are comfortable as said above.

shakalaka
11-28-2018, 02:19 PM
I personally wasn't comfortable in the M2 at all. I mean my M3 was fine - not necessarily comfortable but didn't make me feel claustrophobic but that's how I felt in the M2. I am 6.1 and should be about 220-230 lbs. I don't even know how many suit pants I ripped getting in and out of my M3's in the past lol. I feel like if I was skinnier, perhaps 200lbs or less, M2 would have been much better.

Chester
11-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys. I'm about the same size as shak, 6'2" 220, will go for a test drive this weekend.

ercchry
11-28-2018, 03:03 PM
I was the same size as Shak... I find the e90 roomy! Haha... and I even came from an LS430... found the interiors very similar between 3 and 5 series for space