PDA

View Full Version : how to make a new car faster??

aboveandbeyond
10-03-2002, 10:06 AM
ok i just bought a 2002 sunfire and i would like to know whats the cheapest way to make it faster if thats possible....im guessing intake and exaust...but if you guys could reccomend a certain typeand a rough price it would be greatly appreciated:D :D

max_boost
10-03-2002, 10:18 AM
I don't think you can make those cars faster for cheap. I mean 115hp right? Or do you have the 150hp model?

You should delete this post before the Import Maniacs see it, they will tell you that you bought the wrong car and start flaming!! LOL:rofl: :rofl:

redec
10-03-2002, 10:18 AM
do some research.....find a sunfire enthusiast website (I'm sure there is one)...there'll be information there about what works, what doesn't, what issues you'll come accross etc...

aboveandbeyond
10-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

You should delete this post before the Import Maniacs see it, they will tell you that you bought the wrong car and start flaming!! LOL:rofl: :rofl:

i thought this website was for all car lovers????i dont careif someone doesnt like my car they dont have to drive it i do....im just asking cause i honestly dont know where to start...and itis theshitty 115hp one...but it has 135fpt....please help wherever possible....thanks in advance:D

Redlyne_mr2
10-03-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I don't think you can make those cars faster for cheap. I mean 115hp right? Or do you have the 150hp model?

ill be good I dont speak for the rest of the jap clb memeners though...serisouly though dude...unless you add some serious power adders nothing will make it faster

Blue Devil
10-03-2002, 10:40 AM
Check out some of the J-Body related websites

GTS Jeff
10-03-2002, 10:56 AM
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz~
!!

hehe sorry i had to

buh_buh
10-03-2002, 11:33 AM
I don' tknow if it would be worth it for you to dump money into that car. If you want a fast car, I think a better bang for your buck method is to get a faster car to begin wtih.

three.eighteen.
10-03-2002, 11:39 AM
the cheapest way to make a car faster is to make it lighter...this applies to all cars...so strip away! a nice set of tires helps immensely too

Blue Devil
10-03-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I don' tknow if it would be worth it for you to dump money into that car. If you want a fast car, I think a better bang for your buck method is to get a faster car to begin wtih.

why not, he simply wants to make it faster...since he just bought the car I'm sure he thought about his "bang for your buck"

Ed the SOHC
10-03-2002, 12:13 PM
bang for the buck it's has to be NOS.

2000impreza
10-03-2002, 12:21 PM
this thread reminds me of ME VS YOU ...... in the other thread you mentioned you didn't buy the car for speed but yet you want to make it faster?

i think GM has a factory supercharger.... but even with that your car will be slow....

MrX
10-03-2002, 12:34 PM
if you can't make it go fast in the straights, make it go fast in the corners.

Look up a good set of suspension (shocks/springs/coilovers if you got the money), add in some larger front/rear sway bars, add in front/rear tower bars, get some nice wheels and Z-rated tires, and go have some fun!

szw
10-03-2002, 12:36 PM
I totally get it.

Just because he isn't buy a car for speed doesn't mean he can't make it a bit faster or better. I don't think he wants to make his car really fast, I think he just wants to enjoy it more.

Good luck dude

Blue Devil
10-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by szw
I totally get it.

Just because he isn't buy a car for speed doesn't mean he can't make it a bit faster or better. I don't think he wants to make his car really fast, I think he just wants to enjoy it more.

Good luck dude

Exactly... i agree!:thumbsup:

Aleks
10-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Check out this website... It's a good starting point, just make sure you don't screw up your warranty.

http://www.jbodyalberta.com/

cocoabrova
10-03-2002, 12:53 PM
RK Sport makes a lot of go-fast goodies for the J-bodies, although most of the aftermarket shops here in town carry other names. Like Ed the SOHC said, nitrous is the most bang for the $$. It all depends how much you are willing to spend, and what your goal is for a 'faster' car. I'm pretty sure there's an Alberta J-body site, which might be of more help:thumbsup:

Impreza
10-03-2002, 01:32 PM
buh_buh is right...it u plan on putting money into your car to make it faster...it simply is not worth..and im not sure how fast u can make ur car without spending at least 50% of what it worth...unless u use nos or something of the sort...

Blue Devil
10-03-2002, 01:40 PM
yeah the comment makes sense, but in this case....there's already a car, and there's already a desire...why bring up a different car?

Weapon_R
10-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Before you go crazy on headers and exhaust, consider a nos kit - these are very cheap, and they give you some serious power gains. NOS kits are around $850 at mopac and installation is very quick and easy. Add a 60 shot to stay safe and watch your 115HP jump up to 175 HP at the push of a button. Also, in my opinion, nos in moderation is not hard on the engine because its only used when you want to, unlike a t/c that is always on tap. Go for it

To all the people who say to sell it - he already has the fuken car -he isnt going to sell it. Quit telling him to sell it already.

btw - most of the mods you buy will void the warranty, i'd drive it until the warranty period is done and go crazy, or keep all the stock parts and be prepared to rebolt them on every time it needs service.

Redlyne_mr2
10-03-2002, 02:28 PM
if it were me with that car here's what i'd do..forget about bolt ons you'll end up payinf 1000 dollars for 5 hp..fuck it....as mr x said get yourself a real nice set of coilovers, and tires, some large strut bars and get yourself into autocross, thats one great sport where you're able to develop your skills and you dont need a fast car to do it. Oh ya and stay away from Nitrous unless you want to put in a new engine, your bottom end wont even handle a 50shot of Nitrous.

three.eighteen.
10-03-2002, 03:32 PM
i thought he bought the sunfire cus it has warranty...umm im thinking the only perf parts you could put on under warranty for that car would be the GM products

aboveandbeyond
10-03-2002, 07:36 PM
im not looking to make my car a race machine just enjoy it a little more.....im not a big fan of nos......i think i might just leave it stock except fora decent set of tiresand buy an older project car and work with that.....anyone have any suggestions for cheap older cars that are easy to make fast??

buh_buh
10-03-2002, 07:53 PM
cheap+fast=Mustang (I hate to say it, but its true)

boi-alien
10-03-2002, 08:05 PM
i think GM makes a supercharger from the factory

LaughingTiger
10-03-2002, 10:20 PM
Dude.. Tint the windows...so no one can see that you drive a sunfire......:rofl: ......J/K

Yea.. redlyne_mr2 is right don't spend $1000 to get 5 hp, it won't
work unless you super, or turbo it, but from what I've read I don't
think you want to spend, or have the money for those..

And why would you buy an older project car when you had 13K
in the first place???:dunno: I seems like you didn't have a choice
because your parents bought you the car....:dunno:

I respect that you don't take anything anyone say's personally,
I'm pretty sure there just joking, just drive your car, and do something else like suit up your bicycle..... until you make up
your mind at least...

Ed the SOHC
10-03-2002, 10:34 PM
cheap+fast=bike

three.eighteen.
10-03-2002, 10:50 PM
intake, exhaust, headers, pulleys...that shuold give you some kick and im sure people make those parts for J-bodies

shadowz
10-04-2002, 03:41 AM
There are now new turbo kits for the Jbody

THREE40SEVEN
10-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Arrrggg- n20, not NOS. :banghead: NOS=nitrous oxide systems=brand name. There are other brands that work just as well or better.

Anyways, nitrous is cheap initially to buy, but bottle refills can add up. I typically use 100-150hp shots on cars that i've played with, and they'll last about 5-7 1/4 mile runs on average. If your on the button often, you can go through 1-2 tanks a week at 70-80 bucks a refill. You may hit the price of a supercharger in less than a year.
If you have the knowledge to do a junkyard turbo set up, go for it. You'll just have to check on the strength of stock parts- pistons/block/head gaskets.

BTW, modifications wont void your warranty unless the modification can be directly related to the damage, and the dealership must prove it. You may have a problem saying that n20 or a turbo didn't cause engine damage if you enconter any.
Matt

GTS Jeff
10-07-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN
Arrrggg- n20, not NOS. :banghead: NOS=nitrous oxide systems=brand name. There are other brands that work just as well or better.

Anyways, nitrous is cheap initially to buy, but bottle refills can add up. I typically use 100-150hp shots on cars that i've played with, and they'll last about 5-7 1/4 mile runs on average. If your on the button often, you can go through 1-2 tanks a week at 70-80 bucks a refill. You may hit the price of a supercharger in less than a year.
If you have the knowledge to do a junkyard turbo set up, go for it. You'll just have to check on the strength of stock parts- pistons/block/head gaskets.

BTW, modifications wont void your warranty unless the modification can be directly related to the damage, and the dealership must prove it. You may have a problem saying that n20 or a turbo didn't cause engine damage if you enconter any.
Matt what?! wtf is n20? its NOS man get it right. NAAAAAAWWWZZZ baby!

[GaGe]
10-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Exhaust tip, Stickers, Body kit, Big spoiler. haha, j/k.

Stratus_Power
10-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Read his question guys.. Faster.. not fast.. he's not trying to run 15s . just faster....

buh_buh
10-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
Read his question guys.. Faster.. not fast.. he's not trying to run 15s . just faster....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He's trying to be FASTER, but still run slower than 15's?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

canadian canuck
10-08-2002, 01:09 PM
hey now there is nothin wrong with the sunfire i have a 4dr, and i've put about a g'note into it, and it gave me an extra 40 hp, i did the RK sport C/A and i did a dual tip dtm cat back exhaust and the high flow catalytic converter, all from magnaflow. i changed the plug wires to 8mm magnacore and i'm looking for a better manifold,and i'm looking into a t3 turbo at about 6 lbs of boost, and possibly nos, but we'll take it a step at a time. but if you want ideas go to www.jbody.org, everything sunfire/cavalier, lots of posts and pics, you should have a feild day in there. if not ppm me and i'll send u some pics.

three.eighteen.
10-08-2002, 01:28 PM
is that a dyno'ed 40 hp?

MrX
10-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by canadian canuck
hey now there is nothin wrong with the sunfire i have a 4dr, and i've put about a g'note into it, and it gave me an extra 40 hp, i did the RK sport C/A and i did a dual tip dtm cat back exhaust and the high flow catalytic converter, all from magnaflow. i changed the plug wires to 8mm magnacore and i'm looking for a better manifold,and i'm looking into a t3 turbo at about 6 lbs of boost, and possibly nos, but we'll take it a step at a time. but if you want ideas go to www.jbody.org, everything sunfire/cavalier, lots of posts and pics, you should have a feild day in there. if not ppm me and i'll send u some pics.

sorry to burst your bubble, but the mods you made won't get you anywhere near a 40hp gain, unless you got that turbo idea said and done.

C/A+exhaust+wires will yield maybe 10-12hp if even that. Throw in the right headers and you'll possibly get 15-16hp gain total.

buh_buh
10-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MrX

sorry to burst your bubble, but the mods you made won't get you anywhere near a 40hp gain, unless you got that turbo idea said and done.

C/A+exhaust+wires will yield maybe 10-12hp if even that. Throw in the right headers and you'll possibly get 15-16hp gain total.
I think its possible. I got 50whp from my blue windshield LEDs

buh_buh
10-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MrX

MrX
10-08-2002, 01:54 PM

hrmm...that's true:D
Thanks for correcting me:thumbsup:

speedracer
10-08-2002, 02:01 PM

And to think I had it all wrong in adding speed tape (stickers) :confused: all over the car:thumbsdow

buh_buh
10-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

And to think I had it all wrong in adding speed tape (stickers) :confused: all over the car:thumbsdow
I think the stickers help too, just not as much as the LEDs.

sexualbanana
10-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

add the reflective tape and u'll be good to go :clap:

gpomp
10-08-2002, 03:41 PM
The reflective tape makes the surface of your car more "slippery" so the air goes around it smoother and you don't create as much air drag, thus making your car faster.

sml
10-08-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
The reflective tape makes the surface of your car more "slippery" so the air goes around it smoother and you don't create as much air drag, thus making your car faster.

You're such a GEEK!!! Make Engineers look bad... :rofl:

Dirty_SOHC
10-08-2002, 03:45 PM

Thats how the blue buses get around so fast

Aleks
10-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey man what's wrong with engineers. Ladies dig it when I tell em what I do :poosie:

gpomp
10-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by altima
Hey man what's wrong with engineers. Ladies dig it when I tell em what I do :poosie:

Engineers suck. :(

Aleks
10-08-2002, 04:09 PM

Engineers suck. :(

Shoulda told me that 4 years ago man :banghead: :(

GTS Jeff
10-08-2002, 05:07 PM
haha if intake, exhaust, and a few stupid wires give 40hp on a sunfire...then fuck getting a crx...i want a sunfire!!

infamous
10-08-2002, 05:13 PM
no way jeff..you gotta keep your van (at least until i have enough money to buy it from you)....when i get that van, the first place i am going is down that hill at sait! :thumbsup:

ConVict
10-08-2002, 08:57 PM
I havnt read all the posts in this but i thought i would put my 2 cents...
If you want to make your car FASTER, i would go with increasing the air flow all the way around ( intake, header, exhaust )
IF you are looking to make your car FAST, then I would look through one of those pontiac catalogs and check out engine swaps, turbocharging, or order some new pistons and a 100 shot of nitrious...
ITs all depends on how much money you want to spend, best bang for the buck I hate to say would be nitrious, but thats like giving a retarted kid speed... just isnt a smart thing to do!
you can easily make power out of your engine but expect to pay good money for any REAL power gains...
but like it sounds you just want it to be faster then it is now...
your best bet is a cold air intake, larger throttle body, p&p your intake manifold, header, full exhaust, and ECU upgrade will acually get you a hell of a lot farther then you would think... and wouldnt cost TO much...
Good luck, Hope you beat some snotty kid in a civic and show em were its at :thumbsup:

sportryder
10-08-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
cheap+fast=bike

Maybe some people are catching on. Ha Ha:thumbsup:

Dirty_SOHC
10-08-2002, 10:37 PM
To bad my car roasted your bike to many times sportryder

sml
10-08-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by altima

Engineers are the poorest paid profession ever!!! It's all a scam!!! Go into management, 1/10 the work and 10x the pay!!! :thumbsup:

sml
10-08-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Captain_Dirty

What car and what bike would that be CD?

Redlyne_mr2
10-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by canadian canuck
hahah 40hp...dude the only thing they sold you were some unrealistic numbers....

sportryder
10-09-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Captain_Dirty

True True...:rolleyes: But now I have to explain to everyone why. THE TRANNY SLIPPED. The bike was a 1986 P.O.S. and your car is the shit.:thumbsup: :burnout: :burnout:

P.S. = NEXT TIME WE WILL RACE AND I WILL HAVE AN R6, THEN WE WILL SEE WHO WINS HA HA :poosie:

sml
10-10-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by sportryder

True True...:rolleyes: But now I have to explain to everyone why. THE TRANNY SLIPPED. The bike was a 1986 P.O.S. and your car is the shit.:thumbsup: :burnout: :burnout:

P.S. = NEXT TIME WE WILL RACE AND I WILL HAVE AN R6, THEN WE WILL SEE WHO WINS HA HA :poosie:

No car should beat a bike... That's just wrong dude... :thumbsdow

Dirty_SOHC
10-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Haha to funny. When you'll get your R6 sean, I'll have my boost ready:clap:

ConVict
10-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by sml

No car should beat a bike... That's just wrong dude... :thumbsdow
Cars can take bikes all the time...
There is the rare car that can pull 10's and take a bike off the line, and I have video apon video of highway races were supras , camaros, trans ams, a PROBE have taking bikes...
so I dont know what your talking about,
oh ya the supra roasted a huyabusa

GTS Jeff
10-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ConVict

There is the rare car that can pull 10's and take a bike off the line, and I have video apon video of highway races were supras , camaros, trans ams, a PROBE have taking bikes...
so I dont know what your talking about,
oh ya the supra roasted a huyabusa dont be an ass

ancient
10-10-2002, 12:43 PM
I wish my mods could add 40hp.... What am I doing wrong.

buh_buh
10-10-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ancient
I wish my mods could add 40hp.... What am I doing wrong.
you need neon lights.

ancient
10-10-2002, 01:48 PM
Damn where can I get those? Walmart ? Canadian Tire? Thats where I usually shop.

gpomp
10-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by ConVict

No they can't. Maybe one car out of every 1000.

ConVict
10-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Are you guys slow... I have VIDEOS... and your telling me a 10 second car CANT take an 11 second bike !?!?! you cant tell me there isnt 10 second or faster cars out there... and not every bike pulls 10-11 some are 13-14 when the cc's get lower!
Frick last tiem i went to race city there was a bike that pull a 17 something, sure it was old, sure it sucked really bad! but I would have beat a BIKE in a race...
Anyone care to watch the video of the supra beating a huyabusa ?
and of course a stock saturn wont keep with a bran new sports bike!
up high a generally fast car can keep with a bike! I sticked pretty well with a 600cc bike on deerfoot! of course he beat me, but i got like 200hp ... We can try it again when I get my other engine, i even read a post in here about rage or someone in their slk racing a bike and it was super close...

gpomp
10-10-2002, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing you have probably never ridden a bike before by the way you're talking.

GP_DrIvEr
10-13-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
this thread reminds me of ME VS YOU ...... in the other thread you mentioned you didn't buy the car for speed but yet you want to make it faster?

ME VS YOU = aboveandbeyond :poosie:

i dont know anything about sunfires but with my grand prix a new intake and exhaust really helped out.. the intake system in the grand prix is pretty restrictive... i dont know about the sunfire but its worth a try

hey how about when i get my new g-force engine next year you can buy my GP engine and squeeze it into your sunfire...

if you want bang for buck im sure my engine would be able to make a sunfire fly! 3.1L 210hp 225ft/lbs of torque in a sunfire !! :guns: :burnout:

szw
10-13-2002, 05:43 PM

You forgot that the reflective stickers also reflect away harmful rays from the sun which would increase the temp. of the car, which increases the temp. of air being sucked in.

I think I'll go wrap my car in tin-foil now.

aboveandbeyond
10-13-2002, 06:30 PM
you guys are awesome thanks for all your help and keep it coming..so far i got reflective tape from walmart with plumbing piping for cai with strait pipes....thakn you all and keep the ideas coming

GTS Jeff
10-13-2002, 06:43 PM
oh yea, u can just drive like a jackass like other cavalier drivers..thats a mod in itself.

aboveandbeyond
10-13-2002, 07:59 PM
naw man i know my car aint that fast no point in trying to make people beleive its fast

GP_DrIvEr
10-14-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by aboveandbeyond
you guys are awesome thanks for all your help and keep it coming..so far i got reflective tape from walmart with plumbing piping for cai with strait pipes....thakn you all and keep the ideas coming

hey man i gave some serious input...

go for intake and exhaust that might put you into the 119hp range :rofl:

then wait till i get my G-Force engine and you can buy mine old 3.1L 205hp engine and squeeze it into your sunfire... they're both pontiacs... might work...