PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 2014 5.0 Ford f150....what to look for...

03ozwhip
05-25-2018, 08:42 AM
So I'm thinking of downsizing my payments on the X5 and going with a truck. I'm looking at this ford, it's a fully loaded(for real loaded lol) truck.

What should I look for in terms of pricing and issues?

ExtraSlow
05-25-2018, 09:07 AM
No common issues. Assuming you don't mind the one-generation old bodystyle. That generation was very highly regarded. Suspect if it's in good cosmetic shape and "fully loaded" then they want quite a bit of money for it. I'm always of the opinion a person is better off getting a less fancy truck that's a little newer, but that's just me.

Anything that's basically five years old will be out of warranty, and I'd like to see service records for it. Be nice to know what they are buying now as well if it's a private sale. I can never get my head around dealership pricing on used trucks.

Rocket1k78
05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Trim and mileage please

03ozwhip
05-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Trim and mileage please

It's an FX4 with 81k. I have a buddy with the exact same one, different color and he has never had issues, so that makes me feel better.

- - - Updated - - -

No common issues. Assuming you don't mind the one-generation old bodystyle. That generation was very highly regarded. Suspect if it's in good cosmetic shape and "fully loaded" then they want quite a bit of money for it. I'm always of the opinion a person is better off getting a less fancy truck that's a little newer, but that's just me.

Anything that's basically five years old will be out of warranty, and I'd like to see service records for it. Be nice to know what they are buying now as well if it's a private sale. I can never get my head around dealership pricing on used trucks.
Ya it is at a dealer. Buddy told me he traded it in on a 1 ton to tow a 5th wheel.

Brent.ff
05-25-2018, 11:55 AM
it's a fully loaded(for real loaded lol) truck

i love that this is a thing now

ExtraSlow
05-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Trucks are cooler than any X5, do it.

Nufy
05-25-2018, 11:59 AM
Trucks are cooler than any X5, do it.

And you can go from one hated group on Beyond to another...LOL

benyl
05-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Door harness likely to go bad on that gen of truck. Just replaced both of mine on my 2010 SCrew. It basically bends every time you open and close the door. $120ish per side to replace them.

My reverse sensors are fucked. I think it is the harness too. That also affects the rear camera. F150forum.com has tons of info.

CLiVE
05-25-2018, 01:41 PM
I have a 2011 FX4 (ecoboost). Other than ecoboost timing chain issues ($4k repair), which won't apply to you it has been very solid.
I'm at 112k now. Other than preventative maintenance, only issues have been the drivers heated seat burnt out (replaced myself with a $50? part), Front shocks needed to be replaced at about 80k.

Like has been said. The used prices on these trucks are stupid though. The 2011s are still selling (or listed) for the same price I paid for mine 3 years ago.
I would be tempted to go with a newer XTR or similar.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2018, 02:15 PM
You guys have all seen me agonize over the cost of used trucks. With the tens of thousands of units that were shipped to the USofA, our pool of decent used trucks is incredibly shallow. Often with the incentives on new trucks, you don't save much buying used at all. Should save a little on 2014 since it's previous generation and like I said, almost five years old now.

In the end, they are a pretty reliable vehicle, and if something does go wrong, it's often not tough to fix it yourself with a little youtube help, or get practically any mechanic to do it. Low total cost of ownership

And, I'm pretty sure I read a study that the Ford F150 was the most popular vehicle among millionaires, so clearly it's the best thing on the road.

stillworking
05-25-2018, 02:41 PM
I always like to check the hour meter. If you do the math you will be able to infer a lot about the truck.
Remember, dealerships take a 5 and make it look like a 10.

My 2016 F150 displays engine hours and idle hours.
In Jan 2017 I got my 2016 for $15K off MSRP at 0.99%.
EDIT: I have the 5.0 and like it.

Rocket1k78
05-25-2018, 03:27 PM
The 2014 FX4 was the perfect trim/price imo mid $40's new and you got all the options with painted bumpers.

Do you have to buy from the dealer? you might be paying the extra they charge which could be an easy $5k or more, tax and then the rates on that truck have got to be pretty high from the dealer no? getting a bank loan and buying privately should save you quite a bit but then you gotta deal with kijiji lol

If you have to go through the dealer you should see whats out there for 17/18 f150's in lower trims, you might be able to get a massive rebate on a leftover and factor in 0% finance you might be able to get a new truck for close to the same payments as that 14. You wont get a fully loaded truck but throw in some katskin leathers and its pretty nice. Even if its just a little more it still might be worth it because youve got a full warranty and no repairs for a long time.

Skrilla
05-25-2018, 03:33 PM
We have 2 in our fleet that get driven daily 200+ kms by different people. Neither has had any major issues, and both are passed 180k kms. The 5.0L is a dog compared to our 6.2 truck and the Ecoboost, but reliable as all hell. We just got 2 new 5.3L GMC's, and mine has been in the shop twice for electrical issues under 8500kms on it.

spikerS
05-25-2018, 04:03 PM
I traded in my 2012 2 years ago with 122k on it, mind you it was the 3.5L EB. The 5.0 Coyote is solid and dependable, but is nothing fancy or to write home about and is eclipsed by pretty much every other engine in the F series lineup. Otherwise, the trucks themselves are great. Only issue I had with my 2012 was every once in a blue moon (like 3 or 4 times in the 5 years i owned it) I think my rear diff jumped a cog or something as I got a really loud bang from the back end that made the truck jump. But I have never heard of anyone else having an issue like that so it was probably a 1 off thing.

Even with the 3.5L, I only ever did regular maintenance. Hell, when I traded it in, it still had it's original brake pads in it. I kept it stock the whole time, and it never gave me issues.

03ozwhip
05-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies, it turns out that it is the EcoBoost but I really liked driving it. Drove a 2017 Sierra back to back and I like the Ford way more.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2018, 06:12 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies, it turns out that it is the EcoBoost but I really liked driving it. Drove a 2017 Sierra back to back and I like the Ford way more.

Perfect, the ecoboost is faster, and better for hauling/towing. That's worth around 1400 extra on the used market last time I checked the wholesale values.

spikerS
05-25-2018, 06:14 PM

you will like the EcoBoost way more. The only thing I wish the EB had that the 5.0 does, is the exhaust note, but you can kinda make it better with a cat back (I like the hearthrob exhaust, souds great).

Only thing I would probably be worried about and have checked is the timing chain, and to a lesser extent, the turbos. I never had any issues with either of them, but I have heard of a number of complaints of the timing chain rattle during cold start ups. Otherwise, the truck is pretty rock solid.

My $0.02 is that the 3.5L EB is the best engine Ford makes for the F-150s.

r3ccOs
05-26-2018, 10:49 PM
you will like the EcoBoost way more. The only thing I wish the EB had that the 5.0 does, is the exhaust note, but you can kinda make it better with a cat back (I like the hearthrob exhaust, souds great).

Only thing I would probably be worried about and have checked is the timing chain, and to a lesser extent, the turbos. I never had any issues with either of them, but I have heard of a number of complaints of the timing chain rattle during cold start ups. Otherwise, the truck is pretty rock solid.

My $0.02 is that the 3.5L EB is the best engine Ford makes for the F-150s.

Though I do have to admit the coyote is relatively anemic compared to the EB, especially in the 12th gen, its the most durable motor. Its reasonable on gas as well, and just sings in the 13th gen.

The 12th gen, which I have is a relatively solid truck. Its a solid platform from suspension, front end, transmission, rear end to frame... There may be some seat/electrical quirks, as well as some 4wd-Auto in the Lariat/Platniums that I thin have since been updated out.

but if I were to buy one, I'd go FX4 502a package with the 3.55 rear end tow package (non-max) 5.0. That should set you in about just over 30k for something with about 65-85k km.

My EB is still running strong, and we have no humidity issues that bother the intercooler or "cac".. BUT that timing chain/cam phaser rebuild is basically mandatory and everyone with an EB prior to 2016 will have to put 4k in after warranty.

The EB motor is stout no doubt... but honestly if you're towing no more than 7k on a half ton (which honestly no one routinely should) the 5.0 is plenty.

ShermanEF9
05-27-2018, 07:39 PM
if its an ecoboost, have 3 grand ready for a timing chain replacement. other than that they are great engines and great trucks. i still miss my 13 king ranch.

dirtsniffer
05-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Shitty that the new KR doesn't have the full grain leather. That was the best stuff.

Rocket1k78
05-28-2018, 09:25 AM

The EB is a nice motor and if you keep it out of boost you can get some good mileage, i went to edmonton and kept it around 120 the whole way and i managed to get 1136 kms before my light came on. I looked a sierra too when i was shopping and i wasnt a fan either.

BUT that timing chain/cam phaser rebuild is basically mandatory and everyone with an EB prior to 2016 will have to put 4k in after warranty.

So any EB after 2016 will not need this? I havent really heard much about this on the ford forums.

ShermanEF9
05-28-2018, 04:27 PM
they claimed to have fixed the issue that causes them to fail prematurely. time will tell.

SkiBum5.0
05-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Try and get a service report and see if the Integrated Wheel Ends have been replaced or repaired. I had a recurring issue with them

ShermanEF9
05-29-2018, 05:16 PM
Try and get a service report and see if the Integrated Wheel Ends have been replaced or repaired. I had a recurring issue with them

Those are a never ending battle. i had mine done at 20k. i suspect i will need them again soon.

vwsalesguy1
06-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Hey Clive I can get you a nice used truck or NEW for that matter let me know if I can help

CLiVE
06-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Hey Clive I can get you a nice used truck or NEW for that matter let me know if I can help

Thanks - but still happy with my 2011. Plus I have 5 vehicles yet bike everywhere. lol.

Rat Fink
06-21-2018, 02:20 PM

r3ccOs
06-21-2018, 02:53 PM
I loved that generation of F150. In hindsight I wish I would’ve bought one before I quit working for Ford. They are such a night/day difference from the 2004-2010 piles of shit I would never own. My cost at that time would’ve given me a free truck for a few years with the resale prices.

though I like the 10 speed and the lighter weight of the aluminum body of the 13th gen... honestly its more of an evolution then revolution, which is why I reckon why the industry hasn't all left to aluminum or all gone to a straight tubo-boosted solution.

The new titan, yota, GM and heck even the latest Ram offerings aren't really swaying (other than a couple panels here and there) towards full aluminum nor turbos.

V8, ZF based longitude transmission, sturdy steel frame, solid rear axel (mostly leaf'd), IFS with upper/lower control arms, about a 145-155 wheelbase with varying body options from regular, extended and crew is pretty much your standard recipe for a half ton truck

I still think that the 12th gen (though I'm bais'd as I own one) is still a very valid truck and any owner isn't losing out on creature comforts or capabilities

ShermanEF9
06-21-2018, 04:55 PM
I loved my 13. i still miss it. i do like my 16 and the features it has, but nothing compares to the seats in my 13. the new ones arent nearly as good.