PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with all the windshield tint?

BensonTT
05-25-2018, 12:06 PM
I seen like 4 cars with windshield tint in 1 day. They are pretty dark too.. Is it legal now or something?

J-hop
05-25-2018, 12:22 PM
I seen like 4 cars with windshield tint in 1 day. They are pretty dark too.. Is it legal now or something?

I’ve noticed this on forums too. I think it’s like the underglow fad. Has anyone a car that looked good with the windshield tinted? All the ones I’ve seen look kind of silly

GrammarSS
05-25-2018, 12:27 PM
I seen like 4 cars with windshield tint in 1 day.

Saw. You saw 4 cars unless your intent was to use a compound verb, in which case you have failed. Good day sir.

rage2
05-25-2018, 12:38 PM
haha awesome account.

I'm trying out Exoshield on the new car, outside windshield film. Blocks UV and ~10% light, so very light tint. Seems to have already protected me from a chip already. Broke the film, no damage to windshield. The big thing isn't just chips, it's the pitting of the windshield that I'm hoping to see an end of.

No clue how long it takes for the film to wear out, or smeared with bugs and streaks that can't come off.

The_Penguin
05-25-2018, 12:47 PM
haha awesome account.

I'm trying out Exoshield on the new car, outside windshield film. Blocks UV and ~10% light, so very light tint. .

Interesting. Would love to eliminate or reduce pitting. Wonder if you'll have any legal hassles with is.

BensonTT
05-25-2018, 12:57 PM
haha awesome account.

I'm trying out Exoshield on the new car, outside windshield film. Blocks UV and ~10% light, so very light tint. Seems to have already protected me from a chip already. Broke the film, no damage to windshield. The big thing isn't just chips, it's the pitting of the windshield that I'm hoping to see an end of.

No clue how long it takes for the film to wear out, or smeared with bugs and streaks that can't come off.

I need a new windshield and might try this film.. Last time I replaced my windshield, within a month I had a crack again lol

nismodrifter
05-25-2018, 01:01 PM
It's all the rage in YVR too. The windshields give off this fluorescent blue tint that foreign students find fascinating. Ie like this:

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1v1hxIXXXXXXSXFXXq6xXFXXXa/222089082/HTB1v1hxIXXXXXXSXFXXq6xXFXXXa.jpg

Kloubek
05-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Where's Scat/Snowcat when you need him. He is, after all, the leading authority on this nonsense.

lilmira
05-25-2018, 01:27 PM
I thought about putting clear film on the windshield too but I read that it doesn't take long to get all scratched up and begins to affect visibility. Not for tint though, that's a bit extreme. It's not like this is Florida.

nismodrifter
05-25-2018, 01:31 PM
haha awesome account.

rage2 who applied the Exoshield for you? I would like to get it done on the summer car ASAP.

88CRX
05-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Isn't that exo-sheild stuff extremely expensive? Like more then the cost of most windshields?

nismodrifter
05-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Isn't that exo-sheild stuff extremely expensive? Like more then the cost of most windshields?

Worth it in some cases as windshields are super difficult to find/no longer available, and expensive ($2g USD + for glass alone)

88CRX
05-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Worth it in some cases as windshields are super difficult to find/no longer available, and expensive ($2g USD + for glass alone)

True. Definitely has a use, just waiting for the costs to get more in line with OEM replacement costs.

Also curious if it holds up to wiperblade scuff marks.

killramos
05-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Wiper blade scuffs are my concern with a ppf style film. The healing is one thing for paint but I am super sensitive to distortions in glass.

But yea windshield tint is moronic.

K3RMiTdot
05-27-2018, 10:38 PM
haha awesome account.

Mine is already wrecked. I've had it on since beginning of winter. Ultimately gets destroyed with the sand and debris.
I will be needing to replace mine soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Its about $500 + GST.

schurchill39
05-28-2018, 07:32 AM
Where's Scat/Snowcat when you need him. He is, after all, the leading authority on this nonsense.

I was just trying to think of the Beyonder who did this way back in the day. Was it him? I remember the thread where he got chewed apart

infamous
05-28-2018, 08:38 AM
I was just trying to think of the Beyonder who did this way back in the day. Was it him? I remember the thread where he got chewed apart

it was scat....anyone remember the song that was made up once he removed it? something along the lines of

Scat can see clearly now his tint is gone,
He can see all obstacles in his way,
Gone is the tint that was on his windshield,
It's gonna be a bright, bright sun shining day!

:rofl::rofl:

rage2
05-28-2018, 09:30 AM
rage2 who applied the Exoshield for you? I would like to get it done on the summer car ASAP.
My dealer bundled a full protection package on my car purchase, asked them this morning, was done at Shadow Tinting.

Wiper blade scuffs are my concern with a ppf style film. The healing is one thing for paint but I am super sensitive to distortions in glass.

But yea windshield tint is moronic.
Ya, only 1 spot where there’s distortion that I can see, but it’s out of normal view of vision. I can’t stand distortion either so I approve here.

Mine is already wrecked. I've had it on since beginning of winter. Ultimately gets destroyed with the sand and debris.

- - - Updated - - -

Its about $500 + GST.
Damn, that’s shitty that it can’t even last a year. Talked to someone over the weekend who also had exo shield, they had a big rock hit which still cracked the windshield. If it is $500 and only prevents pitting, probably not worth it.

Xtrema
05-29-2018, 08:39 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Its about $500 + GST.

$500 for a film for a windshield that cost around $300-$1000. Probably not worth it then. I am sick of pitting as well but not at $500. $300 may be.

So it's only worthwhile for exotics, or may be those weird Tesla windshields.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Might be worth it on a summer only car. I bet it'd do well on my S2k and Mini windshields. Less worth it on the GTI.

schocker
05-29-2018, 09:38 AM
My G35 came with full tint when I bought it. It was great. Nice and cool, if you didn't remember sun glasses it wasn't terrible, and the real shocker, you could see at night which some of the old-timers here say is impossible.

dirtsniffer
05-29-2018, 09:58 AM
windshield NBD. but everyone with a panoramic sunroof should have film on it.

mrsingh
05-29-2018, 11:07 AM
I just had Exoshield installed from SR Internetional on our minivan. Hoping it lasts more than just one winter, the van has a tendency to crack the windshield easily.

Anyone notice a minor distortion of the headlights from oncoming cars at nighttime?

haha awesome account.

Tej.S
06-02-2018, 01:13 AM
windshield NBD. but everyone with a panoramic sunroof should have film on it.

Why on the pano roof? If there's one part of the car that doesn't get as dirty as the rest, it's the pano roof lol.

rage2
06-02-2018, 06:35 AM
Why on the pano roof? If there's one part of the car that doesn't get as dirty as the rest, it's the pano roof lol.
It’s to protect it from blowing up. And if it does blow up it’ll hold everything in place.

mrsingh
06-02-2018, 07:36 AM
It’s to protect it from blowing up. And if it does blow up it’ll hold everything in place.

Dammit I didn't even think of getting that done, may need to go back for the dual moonroofs.

EK 2.0
06-02-2018, 12:36 PM

I dealt with a shattered glass roof in my BMW last year....aside from the wallet pain...the shock, and not rolling the car into the ditch from the sound when it happens, and potential of harm (I might be slightly reaching for dramatic effect) is so worth the price of film on a glass roof.

Plus, working in the industry, these glass roofs are NOT cheap haha...

snowcat
06-04-2018, 10:53 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Surprised someone at your age still has a raging boner for me after all these years :rofl: