PDA

View Full Version : What are people looking for when they shop for a Vehicle?

vwsalesguy1
05-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Just putting it out there when you are out for a drive and "just looking" what are people looking for? Not everything is everywhere and sometimes the believed "right car" is actually nowhere near fitting their needs. So when looking what do you want in your next BIG purchase?? Myself I like to buy from places where I get service and a fair price.

C4S
05-25-2018, 04:52 PM
- Look/Style/Performance/Status/Peer

Bonus to have a tiny backseat ...

ExtraSlow
05-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Service is a non-issue for me, as I'll take my car wherever when it needs work.

Fair price is very important, but the easier the sales process is for me, the better. If the sales person lies or deceives me, then I consider that a hassle, and I'd rather pay someone else my hard earned money.

Interestingly, I'm quite trusting of used car sellers, totally opposite of my starting assumption for dealership staff.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2018, 05:10 PM
I want a full framed car that can tow upwards of 7000 lbs. That hasn't existed in 40 years though, so I want a small (not full-sized) pickup with a V8, and can tow upwards of 7000 lbs... which also barely exists, there's only two that I know of made in the past decade. Hopefully the new Ranger can do it, but I won't be able to afford one of those until they hit the used market.

jutes
05-25-2018, 05:48 PM
I first do all my research online before visiting any dealership or wasting a private sellers time. I basically bought my first E92 without a test drive. I knew what I wanted and didn’t expect anything different from the reviews or all the things I read on the forums. No regrets, it was an awesome three years owning one.

Now my gf and I are looking at an upgrade to the CX5. The front runner is the new RDX, but are considering a Discovery Sport. The RX350 was quickly eliminated by a Sunday visit to a dealership and just looking. We both hate the cow-catcher front bumper.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2018, 06:11 PM
I want a full framed car that can tow upwards of 7000 lbs. That hasn't existed in 40 years though, so I want a small (not full-sized) pickup with a V8, and can tow upwards of 7000 lbs... which also barely exists, there's only two that I know of made in the past decade. Hopefully the new Ranger can do it, but I won't be able to afford one of those until they hit the used market.

What was the tow rating on the Colorado V8? that was a cool truck, and very peppy.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2018, 06:31 PM
What was the tow rating on the Colorado V8? that was a cool truck, and very peppy.

The old one was 6000lbs, and the new one with the V6 is 7000+, but the torque sucks on it, not sure I'd be happy towing with no low end torque.

max_boost
05-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Vw Golf for life lol

Auto
Hatch
Backup camera
87 octane
Heated seats

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Since I pretty much only buy used cars the key for me is finding the right car (package/option/trim/powertrain/color) wise but the overall condition of the vehicle is important too, and things that need to be remedied would be factored into what I’m willing to pay for it. If the options/color etc isn’t correct than I won’t be willing to pay as much for it.

craigcd
05-25-2018, 08:39 PM
I am batting around the idea of a new RAV4 for the wife but the thought of having to deal with a new car salesman is driving me to the used market. So what am I looking for? Honesty. I know exactly what I want, I dont want more or less and willing to factory order and I dont want to visit every dealer in Calgary looking for the best "deal" although I am certain I would have to.

lilmira
05-25-2018, 08:49 PM
shut up and take my money?

dirtsniffer
05-25-2018, 09:14 PM
The old one was 6000lbs, and the new one with the V6 is 7000+, but the torque sucks on it, not sure I'd be happy towing with no low end torque.

There's a diesel? i dunno much about it.

My friends grand cherokee can tow 7000lbs

To answer OP. Best price. I can deal with a lot of shit to save a grand, let alone 5.

roll_over
05-25-2018, 09:19 PM
I look for a car that has obvious signs of being maintained. if it has multiple door dings, the carpets have never been shampooed, the owner constantly dragged their feet along their door sill then I'll just walk away. I recently was in the market for a high end SUV thats mostly owned by rich soccer mom and it's ridiculous the amount of 1-2 year old cars that were absolutely trashed by the previous owner.

vwsalesguy1
05-26-2018, 09:38 AM
I know how you feel about sales people I get treated like a Piranha every day when I just want people to like the car like the price and like me make it a simple painless transaction. Sales people do not work on salary or get paid hourly and provide a great service (at least I try to). If you tell me what you want I might be able to get you a better price on one. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Especially out of Calgary or Edmonton what SUV were you interested in? I try to be helpful and not pushy I can get most anything

Sugarphreak
05-26-2018, 10:23 AM

ExtraSlow
05-26-2018, 11:05 AM
My biggest pet peeve of all is the business manager meeting after you buy, where they try to strong arm you into extras that are three times the price. When I was buying my Audi the person kept saying "well if it was my brand new Audi I'd get this" , to which I kept saying "well, it isn't yours, it's mine, and for the 50th time I am not interested". I now start those meetings with "I'm not interested in anything, can we skip this part please" . I try not to be rude, but if I don't set the tone immediately it drags on for way too long. I don't want to waste their time, and I wish they wouldn't waste mine.
Holy shit THIS!!!!

my recent trailer purchase, I was so happy the sales guy and I did everything over email, and when I went to pick up, I had the bank draft all made out and everything. Five minutes with sales guy, then 50 with the "business manager" as I'm getting more and more agitated and abusive to him. What a shitshow.

bigbadboss101
05-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Reliability, fun factor, bang for the bucks, gas mileage, looks, not always in that order. At a stage auto is the way to go. Room for 4. Don't care what people think.

corsvette
05-26-2018, 02:56 PM
I'm on board with the "business manager" hate. I've had great salespeople, I've never been happy with the finance/business folks. You deal with a great sales rep and then bang your shoved in the office of a untrustworthy hungry eel to try to soak you for all the useless crap. I'd rather not go new car shopping just to avoid them, seriously the salespeople are not sucm/sleezy its these guys./gals. The hassle, games, lying, deception, trickery, smoke and mirror, and all the extra charges they try to sneak in gives the entire industry a scuzzy feel.

I wonder how the concept of having the salespeople do the work of the BM would go over.

Buster
05-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Fuel economy.

killramos
05-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Fuel economy.

This. I just buy all my Tesla’s online.

In all seriousness, someone who facilitates my purchase. When I walk into the dealer I have already 90% made up my mind salesman’s job is getting me across the finish line on price.

danno
05-26-2018, 04:27 PM
I’d actually like to just order my car and not have to pay a salesman to do anything. I know what I want I’d rather just fill out a list and wait for my car. I was happy with my golf r purchase dealing with Ryan, but he honestly didn’t do much. I don’t need to be taught anything while picking up the car either, I’d rather just get it and figure it out.

Buster
05-26-2018, 05:19 PM
This. I just buy all my Tesla’s online.

In all seriousness, someone who facilitates my purchase. When I walk into the dealer I have already 90% made up my mind salesman’s job is getting me across the finish line on price.

My last 6 or 7 cars have been completely bought on email. Just go into the store to drop off a cheque and pick up the keys.

killramos
05-26-2018, 08:14 PM
I would be totally game to buy direct from manufacturer and skip dealerships altogether.

max_boost
05-26-2018, 09:00 PM
Not a fan of all the add ons they (business office) try to make you buy but some people do need them however I am not one of those people so I politely decline.

ExtraSlow
05-26-2018, 09:16 PM
I wouldn’t be totally game to buy direct form manufacturer and skip dealerships altogether.

I'd be in that so fast. Well, if I ever bought a new vehicle, which I wouldn't.

tonytiger55
05-27-2018, 01:18 AM
I research online beforehand. Then I narrow it down.

Engine sizes for example. In the UK the Nissan Micra comes with 1.0 engine. Its perfect and very nippy for scooting about town, You can also get a 1.4L. A bit more power. But anything bigger is a no no as its so small and basic. When it was introduced in Canada it came with a 1.6L engine. Thats way too big for that tin can. One might as well bump up to a Medium size Corolla/Matrix.

Then there are interior changes. 2015 onwards, Hondas went through a interior change.
I inquired about a 2015 Honda Fit at Heritage Honda. The giant ape kept feeding me bullshit about service and warranty. Then tried to persuade me to buy a overpriced 2013 Manual he had on the lot. He kept on pushing, then smugly cornered me, asked why not and whilst not making eye contact. I politely advised him that 2015's Fits and Civic manuals came with six gears and not five. He was caught out of step.
Now when I looked at the 2015 Matrix, you get way more in the Civic interior. The exterior of the car looked nice. THe interior of the matrix looked ok but it was just outdated. But the ergonomics of the Matrix interior did not function as smoothing as the Civic. This sort of thing you can't tell from pictures. You have to actually get in the drivers seat and shift gears.

The basic spec on the Subaru Cross Trek have pretty much have everything (or maybe im getting old and easier to please). I drove the first generation manual thinking I might buy this. Noped out of that right away. 5th gear was too high in the revs...it needed a 6th gear big time. Oddly enough newer models come with a 6th gear now.

Then there is the feel of the car.. the test drive itself.
For example is the Honda HRV. In the manual, when dropping to second gear it has no pull. The power to weight ratio is off... or to put it another way. Its fucking shit.
Its smaller than the CRV. The CRV is bigger has better fuel economy. Go figure.
Though having six gears is not always right. The gear ratios seem slightly off on the Toyota Matrix. I found the Golf GTI a decent bench mark. It felt way more refined.

As for the sales person. I think it important for them to ask the right questions and to read the customer. That helps in determining the selling angle. One of the best experiences I had was with a British Sales guy at the VW in the south. No bullshit. Told it as it was and knew his shit.

There is the whole walk around showing the key features before getting into the vehicle. I get they have to do that. So I play along. But what fucks me off, is when basic questions are asked the sales person knows fuck all.
For example, whats the size of the engine? 'Its a four cyclinder'. No shit, 'is it a 1.5, 1.8..? etc' They have no idea.
Another example...manual transmission only came on base models on particular years. I specifically ask to drive the manual in base model as im looking for a manual transmission. Senior fat sales person tells me why would I want a base model when I can have a EX or LX, then I have to advise..sorry educate them that the upper models don't come in a manual.

So when im out for the drive its kinda testing the things I have read online to see if it makes sense and looking/feeling for the things you don't get buy just looking at interior pictures.
The second factor is the sales person. Does he actually listen to what I want? When they start with how much do I want to pay per month, Or he starts fobbing me into something I do not want, using scare tactics or using the we don't make much on the sale sob story etc. Im not expecting a five star service. I just want his/her help buying what I want. Or if they can't at least help me along the way in finding it.

spikerS
05-27-2018, 04:32 AM
I come in, I know what I want, what options, and every single time, I know more about the product than the sales guy, and every single time, I have to sit back and listen to them with a spiel, and bite my tongue to point out every wrong thing they said. I tell them my budget, and every single time, they trot out something $10k more than i want to spend.

1) don't pretend you know something about the product when you don't.
2) If I give you a budget, don't try to oversell it
3) Don't bait and switch. If I want 1 thing, don't try to show me another
4) Don't try and sell me all that crap like paint protection and shit that we all know is 4x the price of any other place and doesn't really do fuck all

dirtsniffer
05-27-2018, 11:27 AM
This reminds me of the article about how the car guy (sorry hitemp) is the customer the sales guy hates the most.

They much prefer people who dont know the process or that they're full of it.

revelations
05-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Remember folks that Beyond is a CAR group ... LOL ... Sales people are not usually car guys and just care about the commission.

The average person living in Cranston has no idea about vehicles except what colour they want and how much they want to pay perhaps. The need a sales person to STEER them into a vehicle that the SALES person deems suitable.

HiTempguy1
05-27-2018, 12:08 PM
This reminds me of the article about how the car guy (sorry hitemp) is the customer the sales guy hates the most.

They much prefer people who dont know the process or that they're full of it.

True story. Their best customers are the soccer moms that just HAVE to have "insert option here" and its all financed on sugar daddys credit anyways so meh.

I want a salesman I can get a straight price out of. I immediately walk if I can't get the FINAL number I am paying.

And I tell them that upfront, the only # not included is gst.

heavyD
05-27-2018, 07:25 PM
Not a fan of all the add ons they (business office) try to make you buy but some people do need them however I am not one of those people so I politely decline.

How much do the finance services people make selling the extras? So pushy and some need to learn to take no for an answer the first time.

killramos
05-27-2018, 07:29 PM
It’s a sales job like any other.

Convert the sales or you are out on the street. Your opinion of them is irrelevant as they will never see you again.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2018, 08:19 PM
How much do the finance services people make selling the extras? So pushy and some need to learn to take no for an answer the first time.
They make a lot more profit for the dealership than the salespeople and I'm pretty sure they make more earnings for themselves too.

Buster
05-27-2018, 08:36 PM
I think good business manager dudes at car dealerships make 200k ish?

Skrilla
05-28-2018, 07:26 AM
I think good business manager dudes at car dealerships make 200k ish?

Yep, 150-200k at a good dealer is not uncommon. I am sure its a hell of a lot more in Tier 1 stores selling 50+ units a day. Biggest thing I have noticed with sales people lately is the lack of personal experience. Years ago when I sold cars my manager would pull you aside shortly after you start a deal/inquiry/test drive etc. And you better damn well know the customers name(s) as a bare minimum. I know that the turnover rate is ridiculous, and most sales people don't last, but if you watch the great ones, they have fun with it, and have passion for what they are selling usually. I guess if you aren't selling well, or just filling in until something else comes you really don't care, but then why should I care to spend my money with you?

Maybe seems silly, but that always burns my ass when they don't bother to ask your name, or better yet, don't even look at my wife, or answer her questions directly when we are looking. She will just say fuck this and leave :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
05-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Been part of countless vehicle transactions, these are the things that annoy me more than anything:

1) Don't pretend you know things, instead tell me "I don't know" or "I'll find out for you". It wouldn't kill to them to read a brochure on vehicles they are selling. I am stunned at how little so many sales people know about even the most basic features of a vehicle, and that does not only apply to new hires. Some people make serious purchase decisions based on what salespeople tell them, don't take advantage of those people.

2) The "let me go talk to my manager" dance, where the "absolute lowest price" gets reduced again and again every time the customer tries to leave, wasting everyone's time. I have witnessed this go on for more than 2 hours. So unnecessary and everyone hates it.

3) Dealer admin fees. Everyone knows this is a 100% money grab and not all dealers have them. If you want people to just give you money for literally no reason, ask yourself if you would pay it. If it has to appear on the bill of sale for optics, it should be coming out of the dealer's profit and not added onto the sale price so very late in the process as it usually is. Every dealer that charges this has a different pile of BS to feed you on why they need to charge it (admin fees, paperwork, key replacement, etc.) At the very least, have the courtesy to tell people you have no choice but to charge it instead of fabricating a justification for it.

4) Sales people that do not tell the customer the dealer cost of the vehicle. They are going to get it anyways, the only difference is whether or not you decide to force the customer to pay $30. Some sales people act like it's some sort of big secret, then once the customer pays for a CCC report, the salesperson all of a sudden wants to be your friend again. How can they expect people to still want to deal with them after that?

5) Spare people the BS about paint protection, fabric protection, etc. that does literally nothing and wears off in a week. Dealers are constantly lying to people, and the cost is ludicrous - sometimes 2-3 times what it costs for an actual ceramic coating.

6) Stop trying to sell people 3M kits for 2-3X the going rate elsewhere.

7) Don't put people on your sales floor who literally know nothing about what they are selling. Get them off to training first...or better yet, don't hire people with zero interest in vehicles and zero product knowledge to sell them in the first place.

8) Salespeople who won't even reply to your emails with anything other than "why don't you come down and let's see if we can make a deal". It takes 30 seconds to write an email and answer people's questions, and we all know how much downtime there is at dealerships.

9) If the customer tells you they have just begun their shopping, you are one of several stops today, they are here for an education, etc. don't pull out the greasy sales tactics - give them an education and send them on their way with your card and a brochure. If they choose to buy that vehicle, they will probably come back to you.

Some of that stuff is buyer beware, but a lot of people come to dealers to avoid the unknowns of a private sale, and don't realize they are often worse off. The willingness of most dealers to take advantage of people has always bothered me. Not every dealer is like that, there are good ones out there, but A LOT of them are extremely shady.

/rant

vwsalesguy1
05-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Probably wouldn't

pheoxs
05-28-2018, 10:24 PM
What I look for changes over time. Sometimes I want something more fun, other times more grown up.

However one thing I always look for is whether the suspensions been modified. Lowered at all = Instant pass. Too many people fuck their car up by lowering it and a couple years later it rides like garbage.

blownz
05-29-2018, 02:51 PM
My biggest pet peeve of all is the business manager meeting after you buy, where they try to strong arm you into extras that are three times the price. When I was buying my Audi the person kept saying "well if it was my brand new Audi I'd get this" , to which I kept saying "well, it isn't yours, it's mine, and for the 50th time I am not interested". I now start those meetings with "I'm not interested in anything, can we skip this part please" . I try not to be rude, but if I don't set the tone immediately it drags on for way too long. I don't want to waste their time, and I wish they wouldn't waste mine.

Holy shit THIS!!!!

my recent trailer purchase, I was so happy the sales guy and I did everything over email, and when I went to pick up, I had the bank draft all made out and everything. Five minutes with sales guy, then 50 with the "business manager" as I'm getting more and more agitated and abusive to him. What a shitshow.

This is my biggest issue and the best part about buying the Genesis I just got. No pressure from the "Genesis Experience Managers" and when you decide to buy, you go to Genesis Canada website and put $1000 on your credit card, then they send you a bill of sale, you sign electronically, upload a photo of your insurance, and then they deliver the car to your house and you just give them a draft for the balance when they get there (if you don't want anything on your credit card they will refund the $1000 if your draft is for the full amount). Done. Easiest new car purchase I have ever made and I would gladly do the same for every car from now on. Dealerships are such a waste and I hate them with a passion.

dirtsniffer
05-29-2018, 03:19 PM
you can buy direct from genesis? thats pretty exciting. fucking dealers

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2018, 04:36 PM

It's the only way to buy it. It isn't really direct though, they just don't have brick and mortar dealers so you never set foot in a Hyundai delaer. The whole point of that with Genesis is they want you out of the Hyundai dealerships, which have a terrible customer experience. They don't want their premium brand being sold in that environment, cheapening it. I'm not sure how the cost+ price negotiation is handled when they come to your house, that part might be more annoying.

Xtrema
05-29-2018, 06:44 PM

The no haggle, no dealer experience serves a minority of buyers. Now may be they will become majority as Millennials and younger prefer this (if they can even drive or own cars at all).

Lexus tried no haggle but backed out from it.

And the Genesis no dealership experiment? That may be ending soon too. http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/genesis-independent-dealership-network-update-article-1.3970033

I think it's hard to change the mindset of no haggle because the industry has build up in decades to haggle. 1st people leaked invoice, then they introduced holdback to make people feel they are actually getting a deal at invoice+2% price. Then you have dealer that willing to go lower because they are not at major centers.

dirtsniffer
05-29-2018, 07:49 PM
So do you buy direct from genesis? Or is there a dealer baked into the process?

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2018, 08:46 AM
So do you buy direct from genesis? Or is there a dealer baked into the process?

My understanding is it's just baked in and the "no haggle" BS is just a way to trick people into overpaying. Hyundai will have brick & mortar Genesis dealers this year. Right now they also come and pick your car up for service which is not ideal - not everyone wants some random driving their $60K car all over the city. I am not sure if there is an option to bring it to them yourself.

spikerS
05-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Is the OP going to come back? lol. I saw a 2 word post attempt, but radio silence since then... :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Is the OP going to come back? lol. I saw a 2 word post attempt, but radio silence since then... :rofl:

Wondered about that as well, I think he posted that by accident because it made no sense.