PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle sale, need some reassurance

Shlade
05-29-2018, 08:32 AM
I’ve got a buyer coming down from Quebec to buy my pickup this Thursday. We have been in contact since the 10th of May. Spoke on the phone and he wanted to send me a deposit to hold the truck until he figures out wether he wanted to fly out or if it would be more cost effective to ship the vehicle out from Calgary to Quebec. I told him not to worry about the deposit until he figured out what was going to happen, and how I would get guaranteed funds.

Obviously I was open to the idea of shipping it but obviously needed guaranteed funds. Long story short he found out that shipping would be almost $1800 which isn’t terrible. We WERE going to go that route however we missed the deadline and he didn’t want to wait until June 6th to have the truck shipped out so he opted to buying a plane ticket where I will meet him at the airport. Some information was exchanged, his DL etc my DL. I contacted my bank and asked what information he needed to be able to deposit the money for the truck. Just like any void cheque bank account number, transit number, and branch number was needed.

After speaking on the phone without hesitation he went to his bank and deposited the sale amount into my account. Money all accounted for and there and in my account.

Now, my mind is kind of wandering all over the place a little since I’ve never made a vehicle sale like this before. With the money in my account being direct deposited there is no way for that to be retracted correct? With an out of province bill of sale I’ve done everything as I normally would here. He’s asked me to do a second bill of sale for his record due to high cost of registering “toys” in Quebec for a lower amount so he doesn’t have to pay too much for registration.

For my records I have printed off his DL etc so I have it. Another safety measure I was going to take before we sign papers over and I hand him the keys at the airport is I was going to confirm his DL is the same as the one sent to me.

Am I being over cautious? Any input for people who have done this type of transaction is appreciated.

jaylo
05-29-2018, 08:50 AM
I always like to do the transaction in person where the buyer goes to the bank with me and he withdraws a bank draft and hands it to me. That is the best case scenario and worked for me.

Best thing to do is confirm from his bank and inquire about if it could be subject to fund reversal.

Talk to your bank as well if you need to re-assure the money will stay in your bank.

jaylo
05-29-2018, 08:53 AM
He’s asked me to do a second bill of sale for his record due to high cost of registering “toys” in Quebec for a lower amount so he doesn’t have to pay too much for registration.

I don't know about this. Do not falsify the sale amount just for the sake of saving on his end. When audit comes if things go awry he could use this against you. "Well, according to this bill of sale I paid XXX amount vs. what he actually paid you."

Also, some red flags or unusual stuff going on:

-He deposited the money directly to your account before seeing the vehicle.
-He didn't seem to have a problem flying or spending $1800 to ship the vehicle.
-He's from Quebec?! Usually, vehicles are cheaper in that region and Ontario.
-You've never met this guy in person.

I don't trust anyone anymore, DL can be faked, money can be faked (deposit fraud bank draft to his account, bank takes a while to investigate these things or catch these fraudulent cheques). Could it be stolen money?

Shlade
05-29-2018, 08:57 AM
I always like to do the transaction in person where the buyer goes to the bank with me and he withdraws a bank draft and hands it to me. That is the best case scenario and worked for me.

Best thing to do is confirm from his bank and inquire about if it could be subject to fund reversal.

Talk to your bank as well if you need to re-assure the money will stay in your bank.

Spoke with my bank already a couple times and they say it takes 5 days usually for a cheque to clear or bounce. It’s been longer than that now since it was deposited to my account on May 18th and he needed to wait approximately 5 business days for that money to hit his account before he could even transfer me. I’ve been told by my bank that the money is deposited and well in there now.

I too like doing full transactions in person as well. This was just a unique transaction where we thought we were going to ship the vehicle out by truck.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about this. Do not falsify the sale amount just for the sake of saving on his end. When audit comes if things go awry he could use this against you. "Well, according to this bill of sale I paid XXX amount vs. what he actually paid you."

I’m thinking the same thing as well. You are right I will stick to the regular amount and have his brother make one on his end when they get back I suppose. He can “sell the truck” to his brother and “buy it back” for a lower amount.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Hand him a blank Alberta bill of sale and tell him he can forge your signature if he wants. Don't do it yourself.

I sold a truck to some jackass from Windsor. Your transaction sounds much less sketchy.

Shlade
05-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Also, some red flags or unusual stuff going on:

-He deposited the money directly to your account before seeing the vehicle.
Very detailed photos and videos were sent of the truck running etc
-He didn't seem to have a problem flying or spending $1800 to ship the vehicle.
His original problem was which would be more cost effective, flying down or shipping it out. In regards to gas, food hotels etc and travel time. In the end it was decided that he would do the road trip back home
-He's from Quebec?! Usually, vehicles are cheaper in that region and Ontario.
Unfortunately it’s almost impossible finding a mint very low mileage 03 SVT Lightning pickup so this isn’t too out of the Norm
-You've never met this guy in person.
This is true.

Answered some

Unfortunately these days one person can’t be too careful I suppose...

ExtraSlow
05-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be worried. This transaction makes sense. Scammers would find a reason not to meet in person.

Shlade
05-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be worried. This transaction makes sense. Scammers would find a reason not to meet in person.

I honestly felt a little more at ease when he said he’ll be flying down to pick the truck up instead. Get to put a face to the voice and Info he’s sent me.

jaylo
05-29-2018, 09:18 AM
I honestly felt a little more at ease when he said he’ll be flying down to pick the truck up instead. Get to put a face to the voice and Info he’s sent me.

But that's a variable that could change. He can turn around anytime and said just ship the car, I can't make it in person excuse.

I don't know, it sounds like a healthy transaction but there are risks involved.

Shlade
05-29-2018, 09:22 AM
But that's a variable that could change. He can turn around anytime and said just ship the car, I can't make it in person excuse.

I don't know, it sounds like a healthy transaction but there are risks involved.

Hopefully that isn’t the case. I have his flight itinerary for Thursday where I said I will meet him. Him and his brother are flying down and doing the trip back together. I have my brother coming down with me for a drive back and obvious added security haha

HiTempguy1
05-29-2018, 09:24 AM
As far as I am aware, once the money is wired, that's it, its gone.

Which actually makes it crazy on HIS end. Super trusting on his part, if anything you got an amazing sale. He sent the money before seeing the truck, he's basically no recourse at this point.

I also completely agree with ExtraSlow, he wants dickery on the bill of sale, he can dick with it himself. Sell it and forget about it.

Shlade
05-29-2018, 09:28 AM
As far as I am aware, once the money is wired, that's it, its gone.

Which actually makes it crazy on HIS end. Super trusting on his part, if anything you got an amazing sale. He sent the money before seeing the truck, he's basically no recourse at this point.

I also completely agree with ExtraSlow, he wants dickery on the bill of sale, he can dick with it himself. Sell it and forget about it.

Roger. I will tell him that when I see him in person and I will give him a blank BOS. And yes I agree with him being a little crazy sending that sort of money before anything but some people are trusting. I’ve made sure to send him as many detailed photos and videos of the truck before anything so even he felt at ease knowing what he was getting.

I think I’ll sleep easier after meeting him and selling the truck officially

revelations
05-29-2018, 10:27 AM
Wow what a trusting person .... "here is several thousand dollars while I head your way to actually see the truck" ..... lol But I guess it depends on how much rapor you've developed with the buyer.

Its a special vehicle for someone who obviously is willing to pay extra for it..... not a regular truck.

roopi
05-29-2018, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at this point. If he did all this to by a 2014 F150 I would be a little concerned but he is buying a truck that isn't that common. Makes me think its something he has really been looking for so he wanted to make sure it wasn't sold before he got the chance to purchase it.

Kloubek
05-29-2018, 10:54 AM
I too don't think this is a scam, but I HAVE heard of situations where money is transferred and then ends up getting retracted. The fact it has gone on for long enough for a retraction to have already occurred if something was up would make me feel a lot more secure. As mentioned - that's pretty damn trusting on his part.

Shlade
05-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Everything seems to be checked out he’s even sent me his insurance info for the truck when he picks it up. Maybe I’m just being an over thinker here.

Rocket1k78
05-29-2018, 01:39 PM
I would be overthinking this too but in your case it makes sense because you have a rare truck. Not sure how old he is but the older car collectors are probably a trusting bunch and just used to trusting people so that could be why he was so easy on sending payment.

lasimmon
05-29-2018, 01:44 PM
So you already have the funds cleared and in your account?

Whats the concern then? Its not like this is an eBay transaction.

shakalaka
05-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Well I had a guy contact me from BC about my bike yesterday. Sent the deposit via EMT. Flew in today and checked out the bike and gave me the rest in cash and went on his way.

Jeff Lange
05-30-2018, 11:52 AM
I once purchased a vehicle in full before seeing it. To be fair it wasn't a huge amount, but the seller said someone else was coming to look at it later that day and I offered to EMT the full amount right now.

I'm sure it felt a bit sketchy to them, and I didn't really like doing it, but in the end it worked out great. I drove that Previa 5MT all over the continent and won a couple ice races with it before tossing it.

A+, would do again if I had to.

Jeff

Shlade
05-30-2018, 09:01 PM
I once purchased a vehicle in full before seeing it. To be fair it wasn't a huge amount, but the seller said someone else was coming to look at it later that day and I offered to EMT the full amount right now.

I'm sure it felt a bit sketchy to them, and I didn't really like doing it, but in the end it worked out great. I drove that Previa 5MT all over the continent and won a couple ice races with it before tossing it.

A+, would do again if I had to.

Jeff

Good to know.

I will update when I meet him tomorrow evening at the airport.

BokCh0y
05-30-2018, 10:42 PM
I did something similar when I sold my e46 to someone from manitoba. Guy flew down, I picked him up from the airport and he drove car home.

The only difference was I asked him for a certified cheque and we went to the bank from the airport and deposited it in person, I also had my bank call his bank to verify the funds and the amount. Everything checked out and the whole amount was released immediately as well since his bank verified it.

Shlade
05-31-2018, 11:44 PM
All worked out well

spikerS
05-31-2018, 11:47 PM
:clap: