PDA

View Full Version : Call me Shakalaka Jr.

03ozwhip
05-31-2018, 09:34 PM
A La Shak style, I am in need of some opinions. I was looking at the ford f150 per my last thread and that is still on the table, albeit at another dealer because their trade in value was horrendous.

But, now we are all over the map. If I'm getting rid of the X5, I want something good to replace it, whether its car, SUV or truck.

My requirements:
Around 35k
Reliable
Roomy
Luxury options and ride( I'm old, I love a nice quiet riding vehicle)
Not boring to look at
Lastly, fun. I'm not too concerned with this, however if I can actually get all of my wants, that would be great.

I've looked at bmw, lexus and Acura and dont know what else to think of. Opinions on whatever would be nice, real world opinions would be better.

r3ccOs
05-31-2018, 10:00 PM
A La Shak style, I am in need of some opinions. I was looking at the ford f150 per my last thread and that is still on the table, albeit at another dealer because their trade in value was horrendous.

But, now we are all over the map. If I'm getting rid of the X5, I want something good to replace it, whether its car, SUV or truck.

My requirements:
Around 35k
Reliable
Roomy
Luxury options and ride( I'm old, I love a nice quiet riding vehicle)
Not boring to look at
Lastly, fun. I'm not too concerned with this, however if I can actually get all of my wants, that would be great.

I've looked at bmw, lexus and Acura and dont know what else to think of. Opinions on whatever would be nice, real world opinions would be better.

As discussed:

best value:
12th gen FX4 5.0
Ram Sport 5.7 hemi
GM SLT 5.3

those aforementioned are reasonably roomy, can be loaded with leather and sunroofs with all the infotainment units and can be had for under 35k with reasonable K km and the remainder of a bumper to bumper warranty

If you want to pay more for "less" but gain durability and IMO a very decent looking truck I'd also go for a Tundra.

In hindsight if I were to buy a half ton to use as a truck (not say a DD) and needed to be dependable, I'd buy a tundra.

IMO the best driving of the bunch, yet reasonably priced and durable is the Ram hemi. That motor with the 3.92 gears and 8 speed does sing.

never
05-31-2018, 10:08 PM
How about this?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2012-audi-a7-sline-premium-plus/1358384816?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

bjstare
05-31-2018, 10:26 PM
How about this?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2012-audi-a7-sline-premium-plus/1358384816?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Great car..... but a used Audi from the NE??? lol.

never
05-31-2018, 10:48 PM

Haha! First one I saw under the budget requirement!

dirtsniffer
05-31-2018, 10:51 PM
Kijiji: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 *Heated Seats* *Backup Cam*

Please view this ad:

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 *Heated Seats* *Backup Cam*,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2014-chevrolet-silverado-1500-lt-z71-heated-seats-backup-cam/1343130895?utm_source=com.samsung.android.messaging&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $.31,714

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

shakalaka
05-31-2018, 11:01 PM
Haha...having the car swapping condition that I have is not a good thing at all. Sorry to have influenced you negatively, wouldn't wish it upon anyone. lol

03ozwhip
06-01-2018, 05:57 AM
Haha...having the car swapping condition that I have is not a good thing at all. Sorry to have influenced you negatively, wouldn't wish it upon anyone. lol

Ya, well my budget isn't like yours, so maybe not as bad lol but not good either way I guess.

I'm surprised at the amount of truck love on here, where are all the cars? Lol

ExtraSlow
06-01-2018, 07:34 AM
IMO the best driving of the bunch, yet reasonably priced and durable is the Ram hemi. That motor with the 3.92 gears and 8 speed does sing.
Agree this is a great powertrain, drives beautifully. I hate ram interiors, but most people don't.

jwslam
06-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Accord 6-6.

/thread

bjstare
06-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Golf R
Infiniti FX50S
A4 Avant (not sure if reliable)
ML63 (sacrifice reliability for fun)
328i wagon
MDX (not really fun, but definitely reliable. SH-AWD)
CTS-V (not wagon it'll be out of your budget)
edit: Cayenne Turbo (likely unreliable, I have no idea)

I kinda mentioned this elsewhere recently... if you don't actually need a truck, why on earth would you get one?

never
06-01-2018, 08:48 AM

I have a buddy who has a 2009 CTS-V (edit - it’s a sedan) with 50,000 km he's gonna sell soon...budget would be in that ballpark. It's silver, good shape, minor mods (cam, pulley, injectors, etc.)...even modded those things are reliable so it'd be a good daily driver, it can get decent mileage on the highway if you keep your foot out of it (mine was in the 10L/100 km when I was highway commuting with it), and it has run a best of a 10.6X.

mr2mike
06-01-2018, 09:06 AM
I kinda mentioned this elsewhere recently... if you don't actually need a truck, why on earth would you get one?
To compensate in other areas.

Buster
06-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Golf R
Infiniti FX50S
328i wagon

I should have my CTS-V Wagon for sale by next week, though.

:devil:

r3ccOs
06-01-2018, 09:58 AM
I have a buddy who has a 2009 CTS-V with 50,000 km he's gonna sell soon...budget would be in that ballpark. It's silver, good shape, minor mods (cam, pulley, injectors, etc.)...even modded those things are reliable so it'd be a good daily driver, it can get decent mileage on the highway if you keep your foot out of it (mine was in the 10L/100 km when I was highway commuting with it), and it has run a best of a 10.6X.

that LSA motor is stout

I have a friend with the 6 speed, who put did all the cams, pulleys, injectors, tune (even for e85) and is pushing 620hp crank (537 wheelish) and has over 120k km... its a stout motor

those KMs are not easy ones

CTS-V is very good bang for the buck in the used market, as are the SRT8 392s which have alot of FI aftermarket options as well.

rx7boi
06-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Is it ever advisable to pick up a german car with 127k clicks on the odometer?

Golf R
Infiniti FX50S
328i wagon

I'm a fan of the Infiniti FX's. Great looking SUV. I'd be all over the new QX30 but it's got abysmal power and you can only get the sport model in FWD.

never
06-01-2018, 11:41 AM

Why not? I have a 2010 German vehicle with 290,000 km and it has been great. I have a buddy with a few and some are around 400k.

NissanFanBoy
06-01-2018, 11:53 AM

I'm a fan of the Infiniti FX's. Great looking SUV. I'd be all over the new QX30 but it's got abysmal power and you can only get the sport model in FWD.
:poosie:
Came in here to suggest an FX or Q50

bjstare
06-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Entirely depends on maintenance and upkeep (thus my comment about the NE haha). If it came from Aspen/Springbank/most SW Calgary, I'd be way more confident it was dealer maintained at all required intervals.

Shlade
06-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Ya, well my budget isn't like yours, so maybe not as bad lol but not good either way I guess.

I'm surprised at the amount of truck love on here, where are all the cars? Lol

We’re all getting old and realizing we need something more Berta’ practical lol

03ozwhip
06-01-2018, 08:09 PM

Well I HAVE to keep the next vehicle, so I'm trying to make the right decision. Still unsure if I need a truck, or if it will prove useful in the coming years.

Otherwise, going to look at an X3 and an RX350 tomorrow.

relyt92
06-01-2018, 11:50 PM
Well I HAVE to keep the next vehicle, so I'm trying to make the right decision. Still unsure if I need a truck, or if it will prove useful in the coming years.

Otherwise, going to look at an X3 and an RX350 tomorrow.You should see about driving an FX37/FX50 if you can tomorrow too for a good comparison with them.

bjstare
06-02-2018, 07:15 AM
I really like the RX350, except for it makes you feel 70 years old. It's quiet, reliable, practical, decent features.... just boring AF. I'd sacrifice the reliability and get a FX50S if this is where your head is at.

speedog
06-02-2018, 08:18 AM

5.5-6.5' beds which means you can't carry hardly anything without the tailgate down is practical?

Shlade
06-02-2018, 09:23 AM
5.5-6.5' beds which means you can't carry hardly anything without the tailgate down is practical?

Do tell what you’d need a truck with a 8 FOOT box for please. Unless we’re just comparing sizes here.

speedog
06-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Do tell what you’d need a truck with a 8 inch box for please. Unless we’re just comparing sizes here.

8" versus 8' - I'd take the 8' (foot) box over 8" (inch) box any day.

Shlade
06-02-2018, 11:58 AM

God damnit lmao

jaylo
06-03-2018, 10:16 AM

Otherwise, going to look at an X3 and an RX350 tomorrow.

X3 vs RX350 is no comparison at all in terms of performance. I got a good sales associate from BMW if you need one!

03ozwhip
06-03-2018, 11:43 AM
X3 vs RX350 is no comparison at all in terms of performance. I got a good sales associate from BMW if you need one!

Thanks man. I've been dealing with one guy that I really like already, which is hard to come by find. Does anyone know a good guy at Mini Calgary though?

beyond_ban
06-03-2018, 01:19 PM

An 8" box is far deeper than a majority of the men on this site would ever need.

shakalaka
06-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Thanks man. I've been dealing with one guy that I really like already, which is hard to come by find. Does anyone know a good guy at Mini Calgary though?

Even though I haven't dealt with him myself for my last two Bimmers, I would for sure recommend all the local people to him.

jaylo
06-04-2018, 10:22 AM

Good. Can you PM me your specs for X3 then I'll find out how much my sales person can get it for you? Thanks!

03ozwhip
06-04-2018, 01:40 PM
What do people know about the 2014 RDX? I'm really stuck on what to look for...

bjstare
06-04-2018, 02:28 PM

That they're boring. 2012 and earlier had the turbo 4, 2013 they went to a v6 to make the car softer to appeal to soccer moms. They also ditched the SH-AWD and went to a lame awd system that can only send 50% max to the rear wheels.

2013 and up will be probably nicer cars, but I bought a 2011 because I still wanted it to at least be a tiny bit fun (and it's living up). The SH-AWD is actually really fun in the winter, and although the engine sounds a bit buzzy, I'm still a fan. Downside is fuel economy - I'm getting about 12.7l/100km in mixed driving.

jaylo
06-04-2018, 06:40 PM

I know that 99% women is behind the RDX, they look boring I mean it's an updated CR-V you can't expect much performance.

03ozwhip
06-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Ya fuck, see I dont know. I do know that I dont need a truck and I dont really need an SUV either. On the plus side, my wife has taken a liking to the 2014 535i...hmmm

danno
06-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Audi sq5??? Not sure how it drives but should have decent power, and be decent inside.

03ozwhip
06-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Audi sq5??? Not sure how it drives but should have decent power, and be decent inside.

I love audi's I'm just unsure about reliability based on people on here. The 535 I'm already 100% aware of the issues with the N55 etc and I'm not too worried about it.

bjstare
06-04-2018, 08:13 PM
I love audi's I'm just unsure about reliability based on people on here. The 535 I'm already 100% aware of the issues with the N55 etc and I'm not too worried about it.

Get a 535i wagon?

03ozwhip
06-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Get a 535i wagon?

She will not get a wagon, I'm stuck lol there's a really good 535 GT that I'm interested in, but same thing, she doesnt like the look of it.

bjstare
06-04-2018, 08:43 PM
She will not get a wagon, I'm stuck lol there's a really good 535 GT that I'm interested in, but same thing, she doesnt like the look of it.

Haha I'm with her on that. The 5-series GT is hands down the ugliest modern BMW, IMO.

How about an X6?

edit: nm, I've just about gone full circle to the vehicle you're selling. I have nothing of value to add now haha.

03ozwhip
06-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Haha I'm with her on that. The 5-series GT is hands down the ugliest modern BMW, IMO.

How about an X6?

edit: nm, I've just about gone full circle to the vehicle you're selling. I have nothing of value to add now haha.

Haha ya, it's different. Tell me about it, I was looking at other X5s lol

CMW403
06-05-2018, 12:52 AM
The new Yukon (possibly Denali if you go used and 2010-2013 would still be well within your budget, you could probably get a 2014+gen with a little more then 35k)

I have a 2010 Denali with the 6.2L in it pushing 290,000Km with zero issues and a mechanic that sees it once a month for free just to check everything out (with the high KM I want to keep track of anything and everything failing and fix it beforehand).

Other then some outer tie rod issues on the front end, the spare tire rusting to the lowering assembly has literally been the only problem other then a failed wiper module.

Im thinking it will die ~400,000, I'm hoping closer to 500 but that may be a little optimistic. I will drive it until it dies and then buy a brand new one.

Yes, its bad on gas, but it is literally the most practical vehicle a guy could ever have. Perfect on golf trips with the boys because I have bucket seats in the second row, and the third row pops out completely leaving LOADS of room in the back.

We did a golf, lake house trip last summer out to my cabin on Kootenay Lake and had four road bikes on the top, beside a friends handmade wooden kayak (almost 15ft long), towing a trailer with two supercharged sea-doos. Four golf bags and luggage for four in the back, and all four agreed that it was the most comfortable road trip any of them had ever been on, and we had EVERYTHING we could ever want or need with us.

You want to talk luxury for the whole vehicle, my 2010 has heated and air conditioned seats in the front and back, rear climate control, fully reclinable bucket seats in the back so that no matter where you are sitting you are equally as comfortable as everyone else, sun-roof to pop on the highway while you're puffing a blunt, what more could a guy ask for?

To be honest I think my favourite thing about the Yukon instead of a cramped crew cab sierra 1500, is the fact that I can walk away from my vehicle knowing that nothing is getting stolen out of the back, even when I have a load of everyones things back there. I don't have to worry about someone popping a box cover with a crowbar and emptying the box, or worse, I have had friends with no box cover and have all their luggage and bags rained on! Complete disaster.

I can confidently say I will own a Yukon/ Escalade until the day I die.

ExtraSlow
06-05-2018, 07:48 AM
The big SUV is awesome for the use you described. I had an expedition and it was outstanding. Have rented suburban for long road trips twice as well. No finer vehicle for long trips.

speedog
06-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Heh, just picked up an older Suburban to replace my long box Sierra work truck and the Suburban is way better for loading/unloading my tools. Barn doors on the back too for the win.

dirtsniffer
06-05-2018, 12:20 PM
didn't you just post in a thread anything without an 8' box is for women?

03ozwhip
06-07-2018, 04:56 AM
Ya, I really dont need something that big like a Yukon. We are close to narrowing things down at this point. I did however come across a 2016 Q50S 3.0T and I think they look really good.

Does anyone know much about them? They're just a newer version of the Gs but with a different motor I guess...what are the back seats like for room?

bjstare
06-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Not great. Similar to a 3 series.

Also, if you're gonna get one of those, get a red sport with the TT, IMO.

03ozwhip
06-07-2018, 11:04 AM
Not great. Similar to a 3 series.

Also, if you're gonna get one of those, get a red sport with the TT, IMO.

Really hey. Shitty, they look really good and they're priced well. I dont want a red sport,, I'm trying to free up some debt and getting a red sport won't help the cause lol

mzdspd
06-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Really hey. Shitty, they look really good and they're priced well. I dont want a red sport,, I'm trying to free up some debt and getting a red sport won't help the cause lol

Have you driven one yet? On paper they look good but after I drove one and sat in one I was quite disappointed.

rx7boi
06-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Ya, I really dont need something that big like a Yukon. We are close to narrowing things down at this point. I did however come across a 2016 Q50S 3.0T and I think they look really good.

Does anyone know much about them? They're just a newer version of the Gs but with a different motor I guess...what are the back seats like for room?

Best to test drive the Q50S yourself. I haven't owned alot of different cars so this is just my experience but when I test drove a 2013 Q50S, the DAS takes getting used to compared to mechanical steering which is also the biggest gripe that I've heard from other people as well. The 3.7 V6 has been around forever so there's not much to say there.

I haven't test driven the 3.0T yet.

Overall, I really like the way they look.

shakalaka
06-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Have you looked at the new Stinger or the Genesis G70 stuff? I am not sure how much they are but if not too far off then could be a great option.

03ozwhip
06-07-2018, 01:38 PM
No, I came across a Q50S and I really like the way they look. Im gonna go take one out tomorrow possibly and see what it's like.

As far as G70 and Stinger, not on the used market long enough to be in the price range I'm looking for.

mzdspd
06-07-2018, 03:35 PM
No, I came across a Q50S and I really like the way they look. Im gonna go take one out tomorrow possibly and see what it's like.

As far as G70 and Stinger, not on the used market long enough to be in the price range I'm looking for.

What is your range? Looking at used Q50S with the 3.0TT.. They are in the 32-37K price.. I would look at the IS350 F Sport.

Or even 335?

03ozwhip
06-07-2018, 03:58 PM
What is your range? Looking at used Q50S with the 3.0TT.. They are in the 32-37K price.. I would look at the IS350 F Sport.

Or even 335?

It has to have a bit of room for the family. I've already had a 335, IS350 is probably a bit too small. I am going to look at a 535. It's a bit bigger than the 335, but not by much.

I think I have it narrowed to the 535, Lexus RX350(I know I know lol but it's very practical) and I'm going to check out the Q50.

mzdspd
06-07-2018, 04:16 PM
It has to have a bit of room for the family. I've already had a 335, IS350 is probably a bit too small. I am going to look at a 535. It's a bit bigger than the 335, but not by much.

I think I have it narrowed to the 535, Lexus RX350(I know I know lol but it's very practical) and I'm going to check out the Q50.

Why not just look at a new Accord Sport 2.0T.. Probably drives better than that Q50 with more space and I bet you can get a brand new one for the price of a used Q50

blownz
06-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Not sure if this is for you or your wife as a daily driver, but just a warning on the 535, it is way more luxury than sport. I had an F10 535 with m package and coming from an E90 335 it sucked ass. I wanted more space and was wowed during test drives, but owning it was another thing. It was my biggest regret ever in a vehicle purchase and was also the most money I ever spent on a car. It is just so much bigger than the 3 series and rides so much softer, that it is absolutely no fun to drive imo. It was great for highway driving, but that was it.

I now think the space was over-rated and would rather have a tighter fit and actually have fun driving. If you are looking at the newer G30's then they are supposedly better so my entire post may not apply. But consider yourself warned if you go with an F10. :)