PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys bought glasses online before?

nzwasp
06-01-2018, 04:19 PM
So I woke up to find my glasses broken on the rims 3 days ago so I've been wearing my prescription safety glasses as glasses for everything since then and I look like a knob.

Anyway I went to the optometrist and got my prescription and then I went online to buy some from warby parker but I found that they are needing my PD (pupil distance) I used their tool but I first asked my optometrist and he said they dont do it, and only some opticians do it but only rarely since they want you to buy their glasses from their shop.

Anyway costco does do it and I found an older prescription from them to use, but has anyone bought from warby parker or some other online place and had a good experience.

That photo was taken at the hospital and I didnt get many wierd looks however I did get some wierd looks wearing them while I was at chinook the other day.

taemo
06-01-2018, 04:22 PM
I've bought most of my glasses from Clearly Contacts (https://www.clearly.ca), used the prescription that I got from my optometrist and worked fine.

G-ZUS
06-01-2018, 04:36 PM
I've bought most of my glasses from Clearly Contacts (https://www.clearly.ca), used the prescription that I got from my optometrist and worked fine.

+1

nzwasp
06-01-2018, 04:37 PM
I just bought a pair from warby parker for $150 all in incl shipping and also another pair from some other canadian site that was cheaper but I could enter in my PD whereas warby parker also kept that info to themselves the 2nd outfit had a buy one get one free on frames so i picked up some sunglasses too (my last pair of prescription sunglasses were stolen out of my car by some thug).

The_Penguin
06-01-2018, 04:43 PM
I've purchased from Clearly Contacts, and Zenni. Both were good, My cheap Zenni frames feel a bit cheap but I haven't managed to break them, and I break a lot of frames.

PD is easy to do yourself. I used calipers in the mirror, likely more than accurate enough.

ExtraSlow
06-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Isn't Pd kind of important for your glasses to work? Or is that only on some prescriptions like astigmatism or bifocals etc?

I'm still rocking the glasses I got last time I had benefits. I probably need new ones soon, these aren't holding together that well, even with several tune-ups from the optometrist folks.

max_boost
06-01-2018, 05:11 PM
All my glasses are $120 and under from Clearly Contacts.

$30-$40 to get your PD measured

G-ZUS
06-01-2018, 05:15 PM
All my glasses are $120 and under from Clearly Contacts.

$30-$40 to get your PD measured

that's a lot one place I walked into charged $5

blitz
06-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Find a new optometrist if they won’t put your PD in the prescription.

It is easy to do yourself following the online instructions at clearly.ca

nzwasp
06-01-2018, 05:18 PM
I used my old costco prescription and when i used the instructions from clearly contacts I got the same result.

suntan
06-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Yup, have bought many times.

Once you get a touch of farsightedness like me, you get two PD numbers, lol.

CivicDXR
06-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Have used Clearly, Zenni, and Firmoo. Measured PD myself, no issues with any of my glasses.

dj_rice
06-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Purchased from Clearly and now Zenni. Just placed an order for 3 sets with Zenni. Hope my work benefits cover them.

Can't beat $6.95 frame. I only wear glasses at home so good enough for me. On a side note, is Zenni based out of Calgary? Cause my order shows shipping from out of Calgary?

The_Penguin
06-02-2018, 06:09 AM
On a side note, is Zenni based out of Calgary? Cause my order shows shipping from out of Calgary?

No, not local. If I recall correctly they're in China. I think they group orders together to get them to the destination city, then individually ship them from there.

nzwasp
06-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Ive received one of the pairs I ordered but I would like to get them tuned to sit on my face tighter. Where do you guys get this done?

max_boost
06-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Any optical store but they may charge $10 to $25

Mostwanted
06-12-2018, 01:33 PM
I use Goggles4u, have bought glasses for spares and even prescripted sunglasses, love them all! Fast shipping and they always have 40%OFF deals

beyond_ban
06-12-2018, 01:35 PM
I measured my own PD with no issues. I have ordered from Clearly multiple times and have been impressed with all frames received as well as their customer service. One pair i ordered from them had both arms break off when i accidentally fell asleep in them within the first few weeks of receiving them, and they replaced for free even though accidental damage is not generally included (even paid return shipping on broken frames and shipping on the replacement). I recommend them to everyone.

Mitsu3000gt
06-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Clearly Contacts is great, just make sure you get all your measurements correct. I have been happy with them for both glasses and contacts.

Glasses are one of the biggest ripoffs I can think of, and they have all kinds of BS to feed you on why you need to buy $800 glasses from them so they can validate the lenses, warranty them, etc. I used to go to Edworthy Vision and they would even try to feed me BS about how buying contacts through them is somehow different than Clearly :rofl: Only difference is they cost more, have a worse warranty, and take weeks to come in instead of one day from Clearly. The last straw for me was how I had to fight them every time for my PD, they REALLY don't want to give that away because it makes online shopping way easier. You can also go to Costco and they will measure your PD for free no problem.

My parents took a pair of online glasses to their optometrist, he run them though his lens evaluator/checker thing, and was very surprised they bought them online because they were as good or better than the lenses he sold haha. IMO there is no need to be paying big money for glasses unless maybe you have a unique condition, fitting issues, etc. The only advantage I can think of is they will get them fitting right before you leave the store, the online ones sometimes you need to adjust but not a big deal.

If you still prefer the brick & mortar approach, Costco will do lenses for $100 and their frames are pretty cheap.

bignerd
06-12-2018, 10:10 PM
I definitely find trying to get the fit correct buying glasses online super difficult. Even if I measure my old glasses and order something that has exact same measurements, they can fit totally different. I've never had any issues with quality from online shops.

Someplaces in the US it is law that they include the PD as part of a proper and complete prescription. Don't know why it isn't the same here.

ExtraSlow
07-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Don't know if I should start a new thread, but how do they handle astigmatism prescriptions? Isn't there an angle in addition to the other measurements? I've never seen that written anywhere, but isn't that how those work?

Mitsu3000gt
07-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Don't know if I should start a new thread, but how do they handle astigmatism prescriptions? Isn't there an angle in addition to the other measurements? I've never seen that written anywhere, but isn't that how those work?

I have a super tiny astigmatism (0.25 in one eye) and every prescription I've ever received from various Optometrists has included it on there. I believe it's in the "CYL" and "Axis" columns. They should be able to email you a PDF of your full prescription. Make sure you get the pupil distance too - they often hold that back intentionally to discourage online purchases.

killramos
07-19-2019, 12:30 PM

I have angle and prism on mine and smart buy glasses made it work for me for sunglasses. Just send them the full script from your optometrist.

Also I got hung up on pupillary distance, which is apparently not usually recorded on your prescription so make sure you ask for that measurement from your optometrist.

Essentially what mitsu said

ExtraSlow
07-28-2023, 06:50 PM
Timely thread bump. I have a hell ish astigmatism prescription to deal with keratoconus. I usually go to the fancy eye doctors downtown because they might be better at advising me on my shit. Last time wasn't happy, don't like the glasses they sold me. Just want Oakley frames from now on with super high-index lenses. The fancy place doesn't do Oakley.

Want a optometrist that can give correct prescription with PD without drama so I can buy online.

Always wonder about the radio ads for optiks international too.

Shit shouldn't need to be so expensive.

killramos
07-28-2023, 07:05 PM
To my understanding it’s not legal for your optometrist to deny providing you a physical copy of your prescription.

PD is pretty simple to measure.

npham
07-31-2023, 11:00 AM
Want a optometrist that can give correct prescription with PD without drama so I can buy online.

https://eyeqoptometry.ca/
These guys are pretty good for exams. Wife bought glasses using their prescription at another store; I bought mine there (not cheap but convenient).

suntan
07-31-2023, 02:59 PM
To my understanding it’s not legal for your optometrist to deny providing you a physical copy of your prescription.

PD is pretty simple to measure.
This is true, however many will "omit" the PD measurement, since most people don't know all the data points necessary to get glasses.

Gman.45
07-31-2023, 04:36 PM
I just got my 2year script checked - I asked for my IPD measurement and the doctor did it in 2 seconds. Turned out the Ipad APP I used to measure it when ordering inserts for various VR headsets over the years (I think I've ordered 5 or 6 sets of these effing things now, every headset is different of course) was very, very close, only .5 out which the doctor said wouldn't make much of a difference performance wise.