PDA

View Full Version : Enduring POA

nzwasp
06-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Anyone been this before or know how to sign a cheque on behalf of the account holder when you are POA? We need to pay my MIL's property taxes for her with one of her cheques.

s2k_boi
06-04-2018, 04:21 PM
I believe you just sign and in brackets state (POA). However, you have to provide the bank the POA documents before you can sign.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Maybe make an appointment with the bank to get this set up and pay the taxes during that appointment?

krazykhoja
06-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Do you already have an enduring POA? The POA's that you sign at the bank are not enduring POA's. For this you will have to go to a lawyer to get it signed and then bring it to the bank. The bank will then have their legal department verify it. Yes it is a bit of a process, but it's the only way for the bank to ensure you have the proper authority.

Ps. Enduring POA will come into play if your MIL no longer has the capacity to make her own decisions. If she can still make her own decisions, then you can go into the bank and sign a bank one.

nzwasp
06-08-2018, 11:04 PM
We do have an enduring poa and we did get it through a lawyer however upon taking both the original will, enduring poa etc to the bank along with original letters from doctors saying that she does not have the mental capacity they then said that we would still need to bring her in to give my wife poa which seems like (not the point of enduring poa) an annoyance and not possible.

Since the property taxes were addressed to both my later FIL and my MIL and im the executor of my FIL account I just went to TD and asked for a bank check to pay for it.

But now we still need enduring poa to sell the house which is under offer right now.