PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sweet Haven Ice Cream

mr2mike
06-04-2018, 10:06 AM
After seeing Sweet Haven Ice Cream advertised in Avenue Magazine, I decided to try it out.
http://www.avenuecalgary.com/Restaurants-Food/Dining-Out/Ice-Cream-Shops-in-Calgary/

Overall, way too expensive for what it is. I feel they're trying to capture the instagram life of ice cream in the summer without much beyond the looks.

I got the S'mores one.
What they do is use a cheap Safeway cone, the use soft serve ice cream (equivalent to MacDonald's 99 cent cones or any other cheap soft serve location of your liking).
From there, they take crushed up golden graham crackers and cover the ice cream with this. Then they add a toasted mashmellow on top.
The bill for this was $6.25?!

Other flavours use the exact same base of the cheap soft serve. Then sprinkle crushed Oreo or crushed cinnamon toast crunch cereal on it. Not much beyond this and with the cost being comparable to Village, Made by Marcus or Mackay's, I would error on going to those places before trying this place out. Those other places have nice, rich ice cream, NOT soft serve.

The seating in the place isn't great, it's long benches.

Parking for Beyonders is going to suck. The parking lot behind the place is completely muddy. No chance you're not getting out of there without some mud all over your Volks or Advan's.

schocker
06-04-2018, 10:30 AM
I don't know why after seeing the picture you still went :rofl:
madebymarcs4lyfe :guns:
(Mainly because you can get it at community)

ExtraSlow
06-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Big dipper ice cream in okotoks is nice. Foothills creamery hard ice cream, the lady that runs it is nice. Good place.

suntan
06-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Lic's is my current favourite. Their small is everybody else's normal.

GenerationX
06-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Made by Marcus has a perpetual 50 person lineup going down the block every time I cruise by. Needless to say I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I can't imagine it's worth the wait, unless it's also unbelievably cheap.

Price is comparable to Village. Their soft serve is really good though, so I would say it's worth trying.

DonJuan
06-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Village... nuff said

npham
06-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Lic's is my current favourite. Their small is everybody else's normal.

You need to get out more.

Xtrema
06-04-2018, 07:34 PM
After seeing Sweet Haven Ice Cream advertised in Avenue Magazine, I decided to try it out.
http://www.avenuecalgary.com/Restaurants-Food/Dining-Out/Ice-Cream-Shops-in-Calgary/

First of all, Avenue Calgary has 0 integrity in most of their content. Everything is Sponsored Content, as is an AD. There is nothing in Avenue is close to an unbias review.

Second, the fact that Scrollio is on that list under you link, that immediate mean it's not to be trusted. Scrollio is the worst ice cream I ever had. The place is dirty. Dude was preparing my ice cream and keep on talking about how he got the best ice cream and can make it out of anything. In the meantime keep looking on his phone say he's waiting for an Uber. What? You are the only guy manning the shop.

God awful.

Marcus for ice cream. Village if you want good waffle cone.

bleu
06-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Made by Marcus has a perpetual 50 person lineup going down the block every time I cruise by. Needless to say I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I can't imagine it's worth the wait, unless it's also unbelievably cheap.

The soft serve is amazing. I get it with strawberry dip.

We went today at 5pm and there was no line up. We must’ve beat everyone else by having dessert for dinner.

suntan
06-05-2018, 08:54 AM
You need to get out more.

I've had lots of ice cream from everywhere, thanks. But I like Lics right now because they don't cost a fortune, it's easy to get to and the lineup goes quickly.

My favourite all time ice cream vendor was the guy at Bearspaw Farmers' Market. You've probably never heard of it.

Strider
06-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Those other places have nice, rich ice cream, NOT soft serve.

Soft serve is the new diy froyo. MBM, Luke's Drug Mart, Al Forno, Yann Haute (Berlingo), Uzu, Sweet Haven, even Monogram coffee are all cashing in on the hype train.

Disoblige
06-05-2018, 10:01 AM
I've also loved soft serve way more than hard ice cream ever since I was little. If you guys care about quality and not so much the experience of going out to get one, I recommend buying a machine and doing it yourself. It tastes amazing and the ingredients are so simple. It might be a big investment initially, but if you have a family or whatnot, these ice cream ventures do add up and you end up saving money on it in the end.

I have this machine and love it. The key is finding one that have its own compressor to make things way easier.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/breville-breville-smart-scoop-ice-cream-maker-brebci600xl-brebci600xl/10202752.aspx

ExtraSlow
06-05-2018, 10:11 AM
TIL there's a whole ice cream movement happening. Man, I am so behind the times.

flipstah
06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Village but My Favorite Ice Cream Shoppe is still good for me <3

mr2mike
06-05-2018, 11:40 AM
What surprised me the most about MBM is how low-calorie it is compared to other "premium" ice creams. They claim 150 cal per serving (125ml) which compares rather favorably to around 380 cal for something like Hagaan Daz or Ben & Jerry's or other typical supermarket pints.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld Non-Fat Yogurt episode. haha.

https://youtu.be/ZAIQV5gM4KQ

tonytiger55
06-05-2018, 12:33 PM
What surprised me the most about MBM is how low-calorie it is compared to other "premium" ice creams. They claim 150 cal per serving (125ml) which compares rather favorably to around 380 cal for something like Hagaan Daz or Ben & Jerry's or other typical supermarket pints.

That is interesting. I find MBM has a lot more sugar/sweeter that Village. I personally prefer Village as I don't find it sickly sweet like most of the stuff here in north America. Its also very dense. Two scoops and im full like a fatty.

I went to OX Ice cream and Waffles here in the south. I thought the ice cram was pretty good. Not too sweet.
But I swear to god.. planners here need a kick in the bollocks/fanny. I dont get why outside of the stores need to be so sterile. A few park benches, plants would not go amiss...

rage2
06-05-2018, 03:11 PM
Reminds me of the Seinfeld Non-Fat Yogurt episode. haha.
I read this earlier and was going to post the same reference, but you beat me to it haha.

mr2mike
06-05-2018, 09:59 PM
You want to see a long line up... Go out to Mackay's in Cochrane on a nice summer day. Easily an hour line up.

flipstah
06-06-2018, 08:39 AM
You want to see a long line up... Go out to Mackay's in Cochrane on a nice summer day. Easily an hour line up.

Mackay's is hype. Shots fired.

ExtraSlow
06-06-2018, 08:40 AM

Isn't McKay's just foothills creamery anyway?

mr2mike
06-06-2018, 09:14 AM
Isn't all ice cream just frozen cream anyway?

flipstah
06-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Isn't it just milk anyway?

ExtraSlow
06-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Guys, stop, it's hurting my brain.

schocker
06-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Not halo top bleh :rofl:

Strider
06-06-2018, 12:26 PM

Or is it?
http://www.homemadehints.com/imgs/breyers-not-natural-ice-cream.jpg

Disoblige
06-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Here's a good idea soon. Make fresh waffle cones infused with weed and serve soft serve/ice cream. Guaranteed 100% busy every single day :rofl:

suntan
06-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Ice Green.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong.

It's not the best, but it's way, way up there.

D Dutchmen beats them all.

Darell_n
06-06-2018, 04:52 PM

sl888
06-06-2018, 10:58 PM
MBM x Monogram coffee soft serve + Monogram espresso = best affogato ever! Available only at Monogram Britannia.

bleu
06-06-2018, 11:15 PM
MBM x Monogram coffee soft serve + Monogram espresso = best affogato ever! Available only at Monogram Britannia.

I’ve been wanting to try this.

skyfx
06-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Save your money, it is just a McDonald's soft serve machine with 50cent cosco cones and cheap toppings.

speedog
06-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Ice Green.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong.

It's not the best, but it's way, way up there.

D Dutchmen beats them all.

And where does one find D Dutchmen being served in Calgary?

suntan
06-18-2018, 08:23 PM
And where does one find D Dutchmen being served in Calgary?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=d+dutchmen+calgary

speedog
06-18-2018, 09:17 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=d+dutchmen+calgary

Well aren't you the smarty pants now. Do they serve up cones at these places or is it just by the container? I really don't mind another smarty pants answer.