PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent immobilizer - 2009 Honda Civic

EF9 Sedan
06-05-2018, 08:30 AM
What would cause an intermittent immobilizer issue which prevents the car from starting?

The vehicle is a 2009 Honda Civic

The green key (immobilizer) on the dash has been flashing. The car has a remote starter so it has an immobilier bypass module. In addition, we’ve tried multiple keys to make sure it isn’t an issue with the key. I’ve also removed the remote starter module and the bypass in case there was a short or something related to the remote starter.

The issue can sometimes be fixed with a boost but I bought a new battery and the car is still exhibiting the same problem.

It seems like the issue occurs less at night so it could be temperature related.

Does anyone have any ideas?

silvercivicsir
06-05-2018, 09:15 AM
when you remote start it, does it also have the issue? could be the receiver not reading the chip in the key.. The Bypass should be data, so if it doesn't have an issue remote starting, my money would be on a bad receiver.

EF9 Sedan
06-05-2018, 09:31 AM
when you remote start it, does it also have the issue? could be the receiver not reading the chip in the key.. The Bypass should be data, so if it doesn't have an issue remote starting, my money would be on a bad receiver.

The car has the same issue when I attempt to remote start it. The key flashes on the dash and the car goes through it’s cycles of cranking stopping and cranking again.

Asian_defender
06-05-2018, 10:57 AM
what bypass kit? xpress or fortin?

EF9 Sedan
06-05-2018, 11:38 AM
what bypass kit? xpress or fortin?

Fortin

Asian_defender
06-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Make sure the battery is good. If its OEM then I would consider a change, I've never heard of any issues with the Fortin kits but you could use the firmware update tool and update the firmware

silvercivicsir
06-07-2018, 03:05 PM
.. so there is no issue with it cranking? have you tried pressing the gas when it's not starting? I know in my integra, sometimes I need to press the gas for it to start. (even though it's fuel injected)..