PDA

View Full Version : Expanding house on main floor

nzwasp
06-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Has anyone expanded their main floor ie built an addition onto the main floor of their house on this forum?

We live in a newer (2006) 2 storey house near aspen and are trying to think of options for housing our MIL.

She cant live upstairs because the stairs would be too troubling - we dont have a developed basement and we would prefer if she lived on main floor. We do have a front open planned study which we could add a wall and a door however Im wondering if it would be possible to expand outward onto the side of the house to build an ensuite. However on that side of the house is a RoW and we are on a corner.

Xtrema
06-05-2018, 07:49 PM
You do know that anything you do beside building out the basement will hurt your chance of resell right?

Do you have a full bath on the main floor? If you don't, I don't see how you can save your MIL from the stairs.

That said, my colleague did convert main floor study and 1/2 bath into a proper en-suite for his MIL. Took him quite a while to house hunt for the right layout to do this. Have not been talking to him in a few years but I can probably find out what's involved. But he did concede that he will probably be stuck at that house until he goes to assisted living or his MIL passes, whichever comes 1st. He can only resell that house to Asians who are in the same situations which is niche.

nzwasp
06-05-2018, 08:04 PM
im just thinking crazy thoughts.

Xtrema
06-05-2018, 08:29 PM
im just thinking crazy thoughts.

I don't think it's crazy at all.

All I am saying is, whatever you put in, whoever buy your house next will have to spend double to take it out and return to normal unless they need the same thing.

And if you are adding an addition to the back, your kitchen/nook area will lose its view to backyard. Totally kills appeal. Extending the side probably make most sense but no idea what's involve in plumbing and foundation work.

It's almost easier to start shopping for a new home that works for you then mutilating your current one and it become totally unsellable.

Get something like this:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/19480516/3100-SIGNAL-HILL-DR-SW-Signal-Hill-Calgary-Alberta-T3H3T2-Signal-Hill

Since you are selling her house anyway, and also her POA, you can put it towards this upgrade.

benyl
06-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Buy a new house.

Tik-Tok
06-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Buy a new house.

:werd:

The amount of money you'll end up spending on this, you could buy something closer to what you need. Something with a developed walk-out basement, so she still feels a little independant, but without many stairs.

ercchry
06-05-2018, 09:00 PM
My uncle did an addition on his place... along with expanding the basement underneath, was $$$$$

phreezee
06-06-2018, 08:41 AM
If you already have a room on another floor, why not just get a stair lift? Seniors always look so happy using them in the commercials.

ExtraSlow
06-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Buy a new house.
+1. Faster, cheaper and better.

Tik-Tok
06-06-2018, 08:52 AM
My uncle did an addition on his place... along with expanding the basement underneath, was $$$$$

I was quoted $90g a few years ago, for 15'x15' addition, including basement. My house value definitely would not have gone up $90g. Although I might consider it when the mortgage is paid off, assuming we're still here.

nzwasp
06-06-2018, 10:08 AM
If you already have a room on another floor, why not just get a stair lift? Seniors always look so happy using them in the commercials.

im unsure that the stair lift would work with my stairs. I got one of those wierd landings that comprises of diagonal steps. Ie I wonder how they work with spiral staircases. I would prefer to do the basement and just stick her down there. Im unsure anyone would want to be living in a basement 24/7/365 though

phreezee
06-06-2018, 10:16 AM
im unsure that the stair lift would work with my stairs. I got one of those wierd landings that comprises of diagonal steps. Ie I wonder how they work with spiral staircases. I would prefer to do the basement and just stick her down there. Im unsure anyone would want to be living in a basement 24/7/365 though

Hmmm, then maybe an elevator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUDuPmVUvig

Edit:

Doesn't look like curved stairs are a problem:

https://uppercut-elevator.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Elite_Indoor_Curve_Brochure.pdf

lasimmon
06-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Sell house and use some of her money to buy a bigger house.

Or put her in a home. I made it very clear to my wife that there will be no elderly parents living with us later in life :rofl:

HiTempguy1
06-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Sell house and use some of her money to buy a bigger house.

Or put her in a home. I made it very clear to my wife that there will be no elderly parents living with us later in life :rofl:

Expansions are no good. The house wasn't designed with them in mind, they always end up looking like crap, and you can almost always tell that an expansion has been done. The correct answer is buy a different house, or put her in a home.

I suppose a 3rd option would be buy an investment condo and get a daily caretaker in.