PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy small piece of 1/4" plate steel?

Tik-Tok
06-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Only need a small piece, maybe 6"x8"

03ozwhip
06-07-2018, 11:27 AM
You can go to pretty much any fab shop and ask for a chunk. Sometimes they'll charge you, but for a small piece like that, they might just give it to you. I'm sure I have some laying around the shop, I dont know where it is though lol

EK 2.0
06-07-2018, 11:28 AM
That's a super small piece...

I would say Metal Supermarket....but for that piece it wouldn't be worth the time haha...Would maybe somewhere that sells metal fencing offer you what you need??....

HiTempguy1
06-07-2018, 01:10 PM
That's a super small piece...

I would say Metal Supermarket....but for that piece it wouldn't be worth the time haha...Would maybe somewhere that sells metal fencing offer you what you need??....

Definitely metal super market. You'll pay, but they'll cut it and everything.

Or, they may have scrap/left over pieces and will definitely just give it to you. It's the least time-waste of any option.

s_havinga
06-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Can it be 1/4 checker plate (smooth on the back side)? Can you cut it to size yourself? I can hook you up if you answered yes to both.

Thaco
06-07-2018, 05:22 PM
you can go to federal or calgary metals, they have "good scrap" they salvage that you can pick through, way cheaper than new... last tiem i was there they didnt like cutting the scrap (only new stuff), but if you're nice they usually will

Ekliptix
06-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Awesome, I've been wondering the same thing. I'm looking for some steel plates to mount on 2x4's and use for target practice (in the country).

Tik-Tok
06-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give the scrappers a look. If not, I'll just have to buy the minimum from metal supermarket

Can it be 1/4 checker plate (smooth on the back side)? Can you cut it to size yourself? I can hook you up if you answered yes to both.

Checkerplate won't work, but thanks anyways.

Ekliptix
06-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Fyi , I went to metal supermarket. They don't carry any steel plate 1/4" or thicker because their machine can't cut it. You can order it from there though, and it'll arrive later.
I tried hitting up Federal but there were closed on Sat.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Definitely recommend Federal Metals, they usually deal with larger orders but they helped me out with smaller offcuts in the past. Definitely worth calling and asking.

Tik-Tok
09-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Well Federal didn't help me unfortunately. I might just try to borrow a cordless grinder and go hit up Pick'N'Pull. I did get WAY more money for my scrap than I thought I would. Who knew old useless heavy as fuck 16.5" rims would be worth so much?

ianmcc
09-20-2018, 04:54 AM
So where did you go for the scrap metal?