PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent fasting

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Manhattan
06-07-2018, 05:41 PM
Been wanting to try it for years now and finally going to get started. I was surprised to learn there's lots of different ways to go about it. I was going to do the 5 & 2 approach (2 days out of a week only eat 600 calories/day). The 16 hour daily fast (only eat between noon and 8pm) seems reasonably easy to to also. Anyone tried IF and how did you like it? Was one method easier than the others?

Sentry
06-07-2018, 05:48 PM
"16 hour daily fast" is what I've always done. Coffee (no sugar) and a cookie for breakfast, or no breakfast if it's a lazy weekend day and I'm getting up at noon. Medium sized lunch and dinner, and no snacking. You don't always need to feel full.

I've been the same weight for a decade.

Have you tried intermittent fisting? :D

tonytiger55
06-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Ive been doing this on and off since the end of last year. I posted on another old thread about cutting out sugars, gluten etc.

But more specifically on the fasting..I avoid eating late and I eat around 11am and again around 5-6pm. I avoid 'Canadian size portions'.
I found the hunger pangs became less severe if I ate clean. To put in perspective if I ate junk the cravings were super severe (as they were to begin with).

Since I got back from South East Asia I have been continuing to eat once or twice a day. I only could eat like this as it was so hot there. If I get hungry I drink a full glass of water or I make myself tea/coffee.
Its had positive effects on my weight, moods and my long term sickness.

ercchry
06-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Love it... I do 2-8pm eating window... eat terribly, kinda ruin it on weekends with drinking and the odd late night eat... kill about 800ml of strong coffee in the mornings... do about 10min of light body resistant exercises in the morning and am down from 215lbs to about 188lbs... but am more toned at 188 than I ever was when I was 180. It’s been about 5 months and I could probably be at a full six pack by the end of the summer? It’s crazy how well it works and how simple it is to follow. I’m at a point now where I’m actually forcing myself to eat MORE (to positive results) cause it’s actually hard to eat enough calories in 6hrs

Super easy to stick with, and I don’t have to worry about any macros or other bs

I am contemplating full keto though... for that six pack goal.

Also strength wise it’s been great, probably tripled my pushups, and I am never sore from working out. Recovery time has been amazing

Manhattan
06-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Interesting to hear that you guys are still trying to eat clean on this diet. I thought one of the benefits of the diet is you get to eat whatever you want during your eating windows and you still reap all the benefits. I'm hoping to turn this into a long term eating schedule since my metabolism is only going downhill from here and any diet is only as good as the length of time you're on it.

Sounds like everyone is so far is doing the 16-18 hour daily fast. Just skip breakfast everyday but you still have to keep the diet on weekends which is a big downside if you're out late. Potentially you'd be out past 2am and can't eat anything. I'm a bit of a night owl so this part would be brutal.

I'm slightly leaning towards the 5 & 2. Fast on Mondays & Thursdays, eat & drink whatever I want on all other days including weekends. Tried out the 600 calorie day today on the 5 & 2 and I couldn't make it past 6pm haha. Had a tough time getting over the hunger pangs, couldn't think straight, and felt like fainting during my afternoon workout. I could probably get past this with better planning (my meals were Subway sandwiches). 600 calories of boiled eggs or something would keep me fuller for longer.

Keep the ideas coming.

ExtraSlow
06-07-2018, 10:18 PM
I haven't done any of these on a regular basis but if I have to restrict my calories I'd prefer to have them earlier in the day instead of later. 2-8pm sounds like torture, but 8am-2pm sounds actually easy. Going to bed hungry is no. Issue for me.

ercchry
06-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Afternoon makes more sense cause coffee suppresses appetite really well... and you really don’t want to be drinking that in the evening!

I also wouldn’t worry much about breaking the window on the odd weekend, not really a massive negative effect

taemo
06-07-2018, 10:36 PM
I haven't done any of these on a regular basis but if I have to restrict my calories I'd prefer to have them earlier in the day instead of later. 2-8pm sounds like torture, but 8am-2pm sounds actually easy. Going to bed hungry is no. Issue for me.

I find missing breakfast a lot easier than being hungry in the afternoon especially since I tend to be busier more in the afternoon plus that way you can have dinner with your family.

Been doing IF since October last year, went straight to 6/18 with no problem and dropped 20lbs within 6 weeks.
Since April though, I've been slacking and doing 8/16 during weekday and 9/15 on weekends.

Still having 3/4 meals a day but because of the shorter eating window, I tend not to eat as much.
A cup of coffee around 8am to start my day, lots of tea and water during the day, first meal usually kicks in after 9:30am and last meal before 3:30pm. (Lately though I've been eating dinner at home after 5pm so that mother-in-law doesn't think that I dont like her cooking :rofl:)

I used to think that I had to have coffee and breakfast at 6am before riding my bike to work, but I actually feel stronger with an empty stomach.

Interesting to hear that you guys are still trying to eat clean on this diet. I thought one of the benefits of the diet is you get to eat whatever you want during your eating windows and you still reap all the benefits. I'm hoping to turn this into a long term eating schedule since my metabolism is only going downhill from here and any diet is only as good as the length of time you're on it.

I eat like crap, my breakfast (9:30am) is usually from Ollys (god bless their buffet section), 4-5 strips of bacon and 1-2 eggs for less than 3$ most of the time.
Lunch(1pm) again is random salad/hot meal again from Ollys and usually my dinner is left over food that I bring from home that I eat at work before heading home (3:30pm)

tonytiger55
06-07-2018, 10:40 PM

Sounds like everyone is so far is doing the 16-18 hour daily fast. Just skip breakfast everyday but you still have to keep the diet on weekends which is a big downside if you're out late. Potentially you'd be out past 2am and can't eat anything. I'm a bit of a night owl so this part would be brutal.

I'm slightly leaning towards the 5 & 2. Fast on Mondays & Thursdays, eat & drink whatever I want on all other days including weekends. Tried out the 600 calorie day today on the 5 & 2 and I couldn't make it past 6pm haha. Had a tough time getting over the hunger pangs, couldn't think straight, and felt like fainting during my afternoon workout. I could probably get past this with better planning (my meals were Subway sandwiches). 600 calories of boiled eggs or something would keep me fuller for longer.

Keep the ideas coming.

Back in the UK about ten years ago I did something similar albeit slightly different.
Monday to Friday I would eat sensible. No junk food, no fizzy drinks and a proper meal in the evening (I lived with parents). Then on weekends I could eat what I want. The problem is you get so used to eating clean. So one time on the weekend I had friend chicken and Mc Donalds. After the first bite. I just could not eat the rest. I felt sick.

As for the 600 Calories. Stick with it or adjust it slightly. It is a bit of a shock to the system. The body does adapt. I did this last October around the 700-1000 range. The first three weeks are hell. I thought I was going nuts.

Manhattan
06-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Another question for peeps doing this. Since you're constantly on a calorie deficit by eating 2 meals each day wouldn't you eventually turn into a twig? I don't understand how your body can maintain muscle mass if you're permanently not consuming enough calories to sustain itself. My BMI is under the normal range FWIW and I'm only looking to drop 10 lbs or so.

ercchry
06-07-2018, 11:18 PM
You should be maintaining a normal intake of calories still when doing IF everyday... that’s what my comment of “it’s hard to eat enough” was eluding to

scboss
06-07-2018, 11:50 PM
Another question for peeps doing this. Since you're constantly on a calorie deficit by eating 2 meals each day wouldn't you eventually turn into a twig? I don't understand how your body can maintain muscle mass if you're permanently not consuming enough calories to sustain itself. My BMI is under the normal range FWIW and I'm only looking to drop 10 lbs or so.

I've done this many times because its easier on my stomach to eat 2x a day vs 5-6 and I track for the most part. I dont really see a difference in terms of weight loss doing this vs eating normal other then it being easier to prep.
This week

Wake up have coffee at 9am

Meal 1 Shake after workout at 4pm
2 scoops of protien
1/2 cups of oats
mct oil (high in calories)
fruit
juice or milk

Meal 2 10pm
4-5 burger patties from costco
1 cup of brown rice
2 cups of black beans
As much green veggies as possible

This puts me around 165-190g of protein depending how i make my shake or if i eat extra meat or black beans

I tend to keep my fats high so i stay full longer but that all preference. In the end though its all calories in vs calories out so if you dont have the numbers where they need to be you will lose gains and not lose fat. If you are eating shit fasting does nothing and you can literally achieve the same results (putting on muscle and losing fat) by tracking and eating normal.

tonytiger55
06-08-2018, 12:16 AM

Depending on your body type, fat etc. It depends. It will go in different stages....well for me it did..
For example I lost 20lb October to Dec. I still had a lot of body fat hanging off. I went from 185lb to 164lb and stayed there.

In SE Asia March to May. I lost muscle mass, but I slowed this down by eating just protein and no carbs. The fat I had melted away very slowly. But none of my trousers or travel shorts would fit me in SE Asia. Everything kept falling off, but my weight stayed at 164lb.

The body gets really efficient in burning fat. It adapts.

mr2mike
06-08-2018, 10:02 AM
"16 hour daily fast" is what I've always done. Coffee (no sugar) and a cookie for breakfast
If you're breaking your fast with a cookie... that's really spiking you're insulin levels. Try for eggs or avocado or some nuts.

Intermittent Fasting is not all about cutting caloric intake to below healthy levels.
Also this Keto stuff is out of hand. Some of the things I see people eating and thinking they're Keto is hilarous.

EK 2.0
06-08-2018, 10:47 AM
You mean Ramadan??

klumsy_tumbler
06-08-2018, 10:56 AM
My BMI is under the normal range FWIW and I'm only looking to drop 10 lbs or so.

Waitasecond... I'm not a huge supporter of BMI in general, but if you're already under the "normal" range, why are you trying to drop more weight?

max_boost
06-08-2018, 10:59 AM
It's nice seeing abs daily

Manhattan
06-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Waitasecond... I'm not a huge supporter of BMI in general, but if you're already under the "normal" range, why are you trying to drop more weight?

Sorry bad wording I meant I'm within the normal BMI range. I'm around the 24 mark now. Have a feeling that if I don't do something I'll keep sliding up into the overweight category as I get older. I used to be right in the middle of the healthy range at 22.

mr2mike
06-08-2018, 11:18 AM
You mean Ramadan??
Non-Brown Ramadan.

A790
06-08-2018, 11:49 AM
12-8 every day. No calories at all in the morning. None.

I've been able to maintain 190-193lbs, 10-12% BF for the past 3 years easily following IF.

It works.

shadowz
06-18-2018, 09:16 AM
If you're breaking your fast with a cookie... that's really spiking you're insulin levels. Try for eggs or avocado or some nuts.

Intermittent Fasting is not all about cutting caloric intake to below healthy levels.
Also this Keto stuff is out of hand. Some of the things I see people eating and thinking they're Keto is hilarous.

Lots of good info posted here. And yes no need to go Keto unless you're a diabetic.

I practice IF, eating window of 1-9pm. However I still meet my daily caloric goals, Macros and keeps me at a regulated body weight (body fat %). 600 calories is not enough to stay healthy. I get it most people want to lose weight to not be fat, but at the end of the day you need to remember the end goal is also health.

I am 34, 183lbs with a caloric intake of 2300 calories it is quite a significant deficit based off my activity level and such. My first meal of the day is 1 cup fiber cereal, 2 chicken breast, 1 serving of rice and 3 servings of vegetables.

In the evenings it's a tad more relaxed, I can either fill my fat requirements by having a treat or fattier meats (lean steak or ground beef) but still eat something like pasta with veg and such. IF is not a free ticket to eat like crap. It may work that way for certain people. But for most you'll likely be setting yourself up for failure if you are going to be eating in that manner.

Manhattan
06-18-2018, 10:43 AM
I practice IF, eating window of 1-9pm. However I still meet my daily caloric goals, Macros and keeps me at a regulated body weight (body fat %). 600 calories is not enough to stay healthy. I get it most people want to lose weight to not be fat, but at the end of the day you need to remember the end goal is also health.

600 calories days is different from the "16 & 8" type of IF you're doing. On the "5 & 2" IF plan you have 2 days a week when you're only consuming 600 calories. The other 5 days of the week you can eat as you normally would. 600 calories is low for a day but it is a fast after all. The point is to starve your body for a set period of time in order to do repair & recycling work. There's studies showing 5 & 2 is easier to stick to than daily caloric restriction with the same benefits.

jwslam
06-18-2018, 11:42 AM
IF is not a free ticket to eat like crap. It may work that way for certain people. But for most you'll likely be setting yourself up for failure if you are going to be eating in that manner.
I think it's also dependant on your window though...
I set myself up on a 3hr window where I ate like crap. It worked really well for the 1 month I committed to it, but it also made me very inflexible with eating out with other people.

r3ccOs
06-18-2018, 11:50 AM

I love this crap...

At the end of the day, its calories in vs calories out and how you manage around the nutrition you require to sustain or repair your body

my neighbor was Paleo, then Keto... so he basically went on an on about how he eats all things organic or as close or as high quality as he could and how fats were good for him (which fats are essential yes) but in turn... he was a fat fuck, his wife was fat and his kids were fat

like WTF -- how do you think buying spulumbo's in bulk is fucking any good for you, you fat fuck. Eat your carrots and potatoes and keep telling me how your ancestors thrived on a diet that resulted in them to die at the age of 35, by drinking river water, organic foods and pollution free air.

then he went Keto lol... then it was like, I can eat as much as I want as long as its not a carb or simple sugar.

I'm like buddy, you sitting there in front of your computer shoving sausage down your face is not going to get your body into ketosis

jesus fuck idiots.

now intermittent fasting, yes it works. I don't agree its required, but if I were to think about it, when I used to train and cut for boxing... though I know I could train harder with food in my stomach, I didn't on advise of my coach and he was right... I burned WAAAY more fat training hungry and avoiding eating late into the evening.

Whether or whatever it was called (or wasn't) this worked to help cut weight and fat fast... its painful, unsustainable especially if you couple this to a intense anaerobic and aerobic regimen.

These days, I do a bit of this from time to time, just drinking coffee as a stimulant... but what burns weight fast? Supplement your hockey, soccer, workoutroutine, whatever with HEAVY squats and Deadlifts.

Do them often, do them heavy and you'll see such a different in your muscle development and increase in metabolism.

msommers
06-18-2018, 12:18 PM
I want to try this but I NEED coffee in the morning. So I still shoot for 12 hours (finishing eating ~7pm, eat breakfast/coffee ~7am).

Drinking coffee isn't fasting, water only. Matty needs his caffeine!

Two different people can eat the exact same thing over a day, and one can be in keto while the other isn't. It's very individual.

Mostwanted
06-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Theres mixed feelings about black coffee during the fasting period. been doing IF for the past 2 years drinking 1 cup of black coffee in the morning, i still have seen very good results. Some weeks i dont drink coffee and just water, and my body and weight stays the same as i would have if I drank black coffee.

ercchry
06-18-2018, 12:41 PM
I want to try this but I NEED coffee in the morning. So I still shoot for 12 hours (finishing eating ~7pm, eat breakfast/coffee ~7am).

Drinking coffee isn't fasting, water only. Matty needs his caffeine!

Two different people can eat the exact same thing over a day, and one can be in keto while the other isn't. It's very individual.

Drink that coffee black and don’t worry about it... close up the food window to 6-8hrs. Whole point is to not have your body processing calories (which black coffee doesn’t contain in any meaningful amounts) so it can use stores as fuel and also focus on repairs instead of digestion

taemo
06-18-2018, 01:12 PM
Drink that coffee black and don’t worry about it... close up the food window to 6-8hrs. Whole point is to not have your body processing calories (which black coffee doesn’t contain in any meaningful amounts) so it can use stores as fuel and also focus on repairs instead of digestion

This, black coffee or tea is fasting. it's once you put sugar or milk that breaks fasting.
although I heard people preaching bulletproof coffee but it doesnt do a thing for me.

I only have a glass of water in the morning, then 15-18km bike ride to work then a cup of black coffee by 8am. breakfast around 9:30-10am and last meal of the day before 4pm.

ercchry
06-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Bulletproof makes no sense... you’re supposed to be burning what’s already in you, not 150% of your daily fat intake in your stomach

msommers
06-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Theres mixed feelings about black coffee during the fasting period. been doing IF for the past 2 years drinking 1 cup of black coffee in the morning, i still have seen very good results. Some weeks i dont drink coffee and just water, and my body and weight stays the same as i would have if I drank black coffee.

After looking back through where I first heard about this (JRE podcast #901 and Dr. Satchin Panda w/ Dr. Rhonda Patrick interview), it's not as black and white as I was led to believe.

Now that said, either side of the argument is a grey area so do as you please.

I still aim for a 12-13 hour non-eating period daily.

Here's the clip specific to what I was pointing to above:

m6KClPkotxM

you&me
06-18-2018, 02:19 PM
After looking back through where I first heard about this (JRE podcast #901 and Dr. Satchin Panda w/ Dr. Rhonda Patrick interview), it's not as black and white as I was led to believe.

Now that said, either side of the argument is a grey area so do as you please.

I still aim for a 12-13 hour non-eating period daily.

Here's the clip specific to what I was pointing to above:

I believe to achieve any meaningful results, the fast needs to last longer, like 16-18 hours. Most of what I've read on IF says that you don't enter a fat burning state until 12 hours after your last meal...

Been doing 8/16 since March 10th - down about 22 lbs, seem to be maintaining muscle mass and strength.

msommers
06-18-2018, 08:18 PM
That's awesome to hear you're down that much, well done! Can you point to me some of the articles you've read?

ercchry
06-18-2018, 08:24 PM
^^watched the rogan podcast... turns out I’m doing both! 9-10hr total window.. cause by the time I get around to making coffee it’s 10 or 11am... and I eat 2-8pm

Also workout after coffee... so getting the metabolism started for the day... burning stores, getting the after burn effects then eating. Dunno if it gets any better than that for every school of thought on fat burning

tcon
06-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Been doing 16/8 for a few weeks, I'll probably turn it up a notch with 18/6 because sometimes I feel like Ill eat my meal and still have an hour or so left in the window and I just end up snacking because I can.

nismodrifter
06-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Great thread. I've gained a few lbs over the past 2 years, had magical results with intermittent fasting in the past. Have just started 16/8, black coffee only in the AM. Looking forward to the losses!

hurrdurr
06-19-2018, 12:21 PM
I did intermittent fasting about 9 years ago paired with a Low Carb diet and it helped me lose over 200lbs in approx 16 months. (minimal exercise). I have fluctuated weight since because I have a volatile relationship with food and in the past have had difficulty staying on track or being responsible with my eating habits.

No excuses! At the end of 2017 I had gotten back to hefty territory (280ish) and had to make a change. I started again in January with about 13-16 hour fast window and 1200 calories daily, lower carb (no sugars/grains/restriction on refined food (200G protein) with 6 days of heavy lifting and have dropped approx 45lbs. Often times I feel like shit when I have cheat meals or drink booze but my body seems to be metabolizing food much better than it ever has. I have consistent gains in my exercises, tons more energy and clothing is fitting excellent. It's nice when people you see every day take notice and ask how they can also make a change. I am 10 weeks out from my wedding and I am going to try to squeak out another 20lb weight loss. (2lb/week) while maintaining and growing muscle mass. Best of luck to everyone in this thread and kudos to those making meaningful changes!

Also sidebar - It's really important to take note what shadowz said
IF is not a free ticket to eat like crap. It may work that way for certain people. But for most you'll likely be setting yourself up for failure if you are going to be eating in that manner.

Disoblige
06-19-2018, 12:33 PM
I didn't even know it but always have done 16+ hour fasting and a small eating window ever since I was a kid.
Key is to do something you can maintain long term, or else you end up yo-yo-ing.

It's a lot more healthy and respectable for that matter for someone who loses 50 lb and kept it off consistently with gains in their exercises, than someone who loses 100 but gains 50 back. Another thing is, start changing yourself now instead of waiting until you can't handle yourself anymore.

This is a real life situation I've seen in the last couple years and other similar cases too but less drastic:

Oh, I'm only 20 lb overweight, it's okay.
Oh, I'm only 30 lb overweight, ah I should work out.
Oh, I'm 40 lb overweight, ah I really should do something but work is busy.
Oh, I'm 60 lb overweight, bleh... I feel like shit.
I'm 100 lb overweight, fuck it I can't stand it. Time to work out.

*loses 70 lb within 8 months, then gains back 40 lb over next 12*

taemo
06-19-2018, 01:09 PM
^pretty much why I like IF, it's not really a diet plan but rather a lifestyle change.

the only thing that really changed for me is no eating breakfast until after 9:30am, then stop eating again after 5:30pm

msommers
06-19-2018, 01:34 PM
And it's very individual, diets especially.

As mentioned, maintaining a consistent change means changing your lifestyle, which is hard. Establishing that routine takes a lot of work but eventually you get to a point where you don't remember, you just do it because that's normal now.

Yo-yoing is dangerous and unfortunately quite common.

max_boost
06-19-2018, 05:49 PM
I did intermittent fasting about 9 years ago paired with a Low Carb diet and it helped me lose over 200lbs in approx 16 months. (minimal exercise). I have fluctuated weight since because I have a volatile relationship with food and in the past have had difficulty staying on track or being responsible with my eating habits.

No excuses! At the end of 2017 I had gotten back to hefty territory (280ish) and had to make a change. I started again in January with about 13-16 hour fast window and 1200 calories daily, lower carb (no sugars/grains/restriction on refined food (200G protein) with 6 days of heavy lifting and have dropped approx 45lbs. Often times I feel like shit when I have cheat meals or drink booze but my body seems to be metabolizing food much better than it ever has. I have consistent gains in my exercises, tons more energy and clothing is fitting excellent. It's nice when people you see every day take notice and ask how they can also make a change. I am 10 weeks out from my wedding and I am going to try to squeak out another 20lb weight loss. (2lb/week) while maintaining and growing muscle mass. Best of luck to everyone in this thread and kudos to those making meaningful changes!

Also sidebar - It's really important to take note what shadowz said

You are the best bro. You went from a white man Biggie Smalls to this GQ slick macking sauve Diddy. :love:

This thread needs pics of before and after on IF

SilverRex
06-20-2018, 07:22 AM
not sure if this helps the thread at all, but i know of a great pastor at a church who would fast regularly and from his experience, he would usually fast between 7-14 days, he says the first 7 days is really just a detox period, real hunger dont set in until after 7 days. he would only drink lemonade, honey and maple syrup to sustain him. he even goes work out during fast, and he looks super fit. he felt so good and gets a clear mind to focus on God that he doesnt want to stop.

and here i am, cant even do 30 hours lol.

nothing to do with fasting but what worked for me was when i first moved in my new home, i had a really ugly couch and my wife hate it so much that we had to push it into hiding and so many nights i would just stand watching tv. i lost over 10 lbs that few months and couldnt understand how and where as I did not change my diet , then last year we finally bought the couch of our dreams, and i regain the 10 lbs so fast it was not funny.

shadowz
06-20-2018, 08:32 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-chris-knott-podcast/id1337586535?mt=2&i=1000413186315

Listen to #11 a LOT of great information here

hurrdurr
06-21-2018, 11:00 AM
You are the best bro. You went from a white man Biggie Smalls to this GQ slick macking sauve Diddy. :love:

This thread needs pics of before and after on IF

:rofl::rofl: You're too kind - If only!

Manhattan
06-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Anyone know how many calories in a small bowl of pho (rare beef only) with some bean sprouts? Quick google search shows some wild variations. News sites show 350 to 650. Then there's some bodybuilding forms that say a large bowl is 1000 plus.

I'm on a 600 calorie day and figure out if I can just portion out a large bowl of pho for the day. I've found soup to be by far the most filling food on fasting days.

CompletelyNumb
06-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Just started IF this week. Doing a 12-8 window. So far no real issues. Was pretty starving after my 8pm workout though.

tonytiger55
06-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Anyone know how many calories in a small bowl of pho (rare beef only) with some bean sprouts? Quick google search shows some wild variations. News sites show 350 to 650. Then there's some bodybuilding forms that say a large bowl is 1000 plus.

I'm on a 600 calorie day and figure out if I can just portion out a large bowl of pho for the day. I've found soup to be by far the most filling food on fasting days.

Depends on the size and amount of beef.
In SE Asia, I ate about once a day. The bowl sizes were not big, there was not much meat at all. I defo was not not getting 1500 Calories a day. I lost a shit ton of weight..
I would say the bowls were around 600 calories. In terms of meat portions.. when I got back I found Canadian portions too big. Half that and maybe a little less. That might give you a idea... thats the bench mark I use now.

P_D
06-29-2018, 11:15 AM
So apparently i have been doing intermittent fasting since i was in high school (185-190lbs) and never knew it. I usually don't eat until 2-3pm and have my last meal/snack around 8 pm, i've always kind of had the same eating habits. Currently 212lbs but that just due to me being a lazy fuck the last couple of years and not having any sort of activity.

JordanEG6
07-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Been on IF since the early part of this year and I'm enjoying it. It's super easy to stick with and mornings are carefree, I don't have pack a breakfast or settle for a shitty fastfood sandwich or anything. My eating window is about 12-8pm, I try and eat moderately well and healthy as long as my overall caloric intake is less than 2000. I'm not hardcore with it, but I would like to cut out sugar/grains entirely, but it's hard lol

Brent.ff
07-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Just started it this week (as in, two days ago).. trying to behave on what i eat as well as want to lose some poundage prior to my tri.

Question. Do you have to be consistent with your window? I've been doing 10-6, but probably going to have to eat later today so push the fast till like noon tomorrow.. Or is it better to just skip a day and restart on fri.

jwslam
07-04-2018, 03:20 PM
The idea is to maintain the 16+ hr fasts.
Example:
Day 1: 10am-6pm eat
Day 2: 12pm-8pm eat
Day 3: 2pm-10pm eat

To get back to being able to eat at 10am, you might have to cut an eating window short:
Day 4: 2pm-6pm eat
Day 5: back to 10am-6pm eat.

shadowz
07-04-2018, 03:23 PM
No issue at all, I push my eating window for the weekends. 1-8pm eating window on weekdays, 4-12 on weekends and then on sunday 4-9 to reset for the week.

ercchry
07-04-2018, 03:47 PM
i find a day or two of eating "normal" is a good reset and makes for way more satisfying shits :rofl:

Gestalt
07-04-2018, 04:34 PM
According to doctors that work with cancer, Berg Dagastiono and so on, a fast needs to be a zero caloric fast of at least 36 hours to cause the desirable metabilic changes.

ercchry
07-04-2018, 04:36 PM
According to doctors that work with cancer, Berg Dagastiono and so on, a gast needs to be a zero caloric fast of at least 36 hours to cause the desirable metabilic changes.

according to my scale... 18hrs works great

Gestalt
07-04-2018, 06:29 PM
according to my scale... 18hrs works great

they are looking for changes in hormones and metabolism, and specific reposnse from the body, not jsut caloric reduction from eating less.

before certain surgerys and chemo some are suggesing 72 hour fasts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4102383/

Dagastnino suggests 36 hours 3 to 4 times a month.

tonytiger55
07-04-2018, 07:06 PM
I think I posted this before somewhere.
A couple of years back a friend invited me to a lecture given by a scientist downtown. He was one of the advisors to the Clinton administration.
The lecture was about water fasting (drinking only water).

The talk was about the benefits of fasting, the effects on the body and how the body starts to clear itself of the toxins. What I can remember from memory was that water fasting is quite healthy. He went into the science of it, powerpoints, references etc.

After a while... the body starts to expel a lot of crap from the body. The lecturer described that it does not just happen in a twelve hour fast. He talked about a seven day fast or a three day fast.
He warned about its best to slowly build up to it. ie start with a 12 hour fast, then two days, three days etc. But make sure you are around someone so they can keep an eye on you. The other side of the spectrum he mentioned that to break the fast should be done with something like a light soup (not a heavy steak etc).

He also talked about being sweating in a sauna having a similar effect. By that, he meant the oily type of sweat you get after being in there after forty minutes or an hour. Not the initial sweat.

He mentioned he had read through lots of academic papers and going through evidence-based research. He strongly advised against just googling information. He found that there was a lot of crap and miss information out there.

I wish I could recall his name, it was such an interesting insight from a science professor.

bigbadboss101
07-04-2018, 10:48 PM
This is good. I tried IF and it is much more accommodating than say keto. You can adjust your window and still be able to fit in meals with your family or loved ones. You can be flexible with what you eat. With keto if your wife or visiting grandma cooked you a nice pasta dish and you tell them no go you are on keto that is not really a good thing. Might try 10-6 again with adjustments to allow for social life. Also will squeeze in a couple longer ones.

I guess research that say breakfast is the most important meal is not 100% true!

Clever
07-05-2018, 07:24 AM
My friend and I heard about IF through the Joe Rogan podcast with GSP. I started doing some reading on it while my friend started right away doing the 20/4. Last time we spoke he is still on it and had one cheat day, he said he feels better, healthier and lost some weight as well. His lifestyle makes it so the 20/4 works for him. Tomorrow will be my 7th day on the 16/8, so far so good, and currently considering going to 18/6 in August. I’m doing it for the health benefits not really for weight loss, I am in my late 30’s and IF seems like a good idea, also like the discipline involved. I use Zero to track my window.

GOnSHO
07-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Ive been trying it lately with the Fiance, Im eating between 9 and 5.. im STARVING by 9am but try and eat as much as possible (good foods) during those 8hrs.

Manhattan
07-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Crazy how popular IF has been in just the past 5 years or so. Is anyone actually on the 5 & 2 diet? It's been working well for me but seems like everyone is on the 16/8 or 18/6 window. 5 & 2 was difficult the first week or so but I've really learned to control my hunger in a short amount of time. Not planning any full day(s) fast at the moment but I feel I have controlled my hunger to the point that I can probably do it.

GOnSHO
07-05-2018, 11:12 AM
A full day without eating would turn me into a complete ass hole

Brent.ff
07-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Struggling a bit today. Ate at 6 last night, then played soccer, and had a hour bike ride to work this morning... feeling empty and bonkin

A790
07-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Coffee in the morning is an awesome appetite suppressant.

bigbadboss101
07-06-2018, 09:31 AM
A full day without eating would turn me into a complete ass hole

Can be true for some. Be careful around spouse, boss, policeman etc when you are fasting :-)

- - - Updated - - -

What they call bullet proof?

- - - Updated - - -

Crazy how popular IF has been in just the past 5 years or so. Is anyone actually on the 5 & 2 diet? It's been working well for me but seems like everyone is on the 16/8 or 18/6 window. 5 & 2 was difficult the first week or so but I've really learned to control my hunger in a short amount of time. Not planning any full day(s) fast at the moment but I feel I have controlled my hunger to the point that I can probably do it.

5:2 meaning eat anytime during the week and don't eat on the weekend? That is interesting as most parties happen on the weekend so it's hard to not eat. I suppose the 2 days can be any days and not just Saturday or Sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes I think our 3 week old baby should do IF. That way mom and dad can get lot more sleep, lol :-)

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-06-2018, 09:42 AM

This is what I used to do.
11am-7pm window, black coffee at 6am. That was when I was working downtown, doing a 6-3 schedule.

nismodrifter
07-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Week 3 of IF and it has become routine. Down a few lb. :thumbsup:

FraserB
07-09-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm going to give this a shot as well, I find that I'm snacking too much after dinner. Started with 16/8 on Saturday and I might move to 17/7 if its going well in a few weeks.

Brent.ff
07-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Im taking two days off a week to keep my wife sane (fri-sun evening).. hope that doesnt completely nuke me

bigbadboss101
07-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Im taking two days off a week to keep my wife sane (fri-sun evening).. hope that doesnt completely nuke me

Happy wife happy life!

ArjayAquino
07-09-2018, 04:08 PM
I started IF last October and I don't think I'll ever stop. I do 16 hour fast daily, my eating window is 1pm to 9pm. During my fast, the only thing I take in is water. I never drank coffee before so it wasn't a big change for me, I just drink a lot of water in the morning and I feel fine. I also do fasted runs at lunch a few days a week.

This episode on the JRE with Rhonda Patrick is one of the best explanations about how IF works and why it's beneficial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KClPkotxM&t=2s

I recommend watching that even if you've already been doing IF just because it'll make you feel even better about your decision to do it.

ArjayAquino
07-09-2018, 04:14 PM

According to Dr. Rhonda Patrick (link in my prev post), you can have two cheat days a week if you want. Even if I go over my 8 hour eating window, I usually try to stay within the 12 hour eating window because it's still within the suggested max eating window. I do go past 12 on occasion tho, usually it involves a long night of drinking.

R-Audi
07-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Has anyone else noticed a big difference in their bowel movements?
Ive been on the 1-7 for the last two weeks and Ive been anything but regular, where as before it was almost like clockwork. I never had big breakfasts prior (maybe a piece of toast) so I didnt expect a big change..

bigbadboss101
07-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Did the 12-6 window today. However didn't eat any fruits or veggies today. Certain not considered clean eating. Well, day 1.

FraserB
07-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Aside from water, is there anything in the morning that can be used to get over that initial hunger? I've never been a coffee drinker so that's out.

GOnSHO
07-11-2018, 08:26 AM
If I need it, ill grab a small Protein shake, got these from costco, 30 for $38.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81uW3X-lPQL._SL1500_.jpg

Brent.ff
07-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Aside from water, is there anything in the morning that can be used to get over that initial hunger? I've never been a coffee drinker so that's out.

Tea? Caffeine in coffee suppresses hunger

ercchry
07-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Embrace the coffee! You’ll need it for the shitting too :rofl:

ArjayAquino
07-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Drinking warm water helps too I find because I don't drink coffee or tea at all. I'm one of the ones that stick to the nothing but water rule in my fasting window so no caffeine can help me. Just keep drinking a lot of water.

I think this is more important though, your hunger level in the morning will depend on what you ate just before your previous eating window ended. I noticed this because if I eat a protein heavy meal just before my eating window ends then the next morning I don't feel hungry. If I eat the protein meal too early before my eating window ends or I don't eat much protein at all then I get hungry the next morning.

Brent.ff
07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
from my very limited time, it's also very dependent on activity following last meal. My tuesday/thurs are soccer after dinner, then bike to work the next day. I'm starving by 10. Compared to days where i dont have soccer after dinner im much better the next day

CompletelyNumb
07-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Nicotine and caffeine :devil:

ArjayAquino
07-11-2018, 11:13 AM
from my very limited time, it's also very dependent on activity following last meal. My tuesday/thurs are soccer after dinner, then bike to work the next day. I'm starving by 10. Compared to days where i dont have soccer after dinner im much better the next day

Yeah that would make me hungry AF too. Luckily I'm able to eat fairly late so I can do all my workouts and sports before I eat.

bigbadboss101
07-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Yeah that would make me hungry AF too. Luckily I'm able to eat fairly late so I can do all my workouts and sports before I eat.

I agree. After sports one can be quite hungry. Therefore might have to change the eating window, or deal with not eating after the activity. Haven't played ball hockey or tennis in a while but I would think on those days I will be quite a bit under in terms of calorie intake.

Brent.ff
07-11-2018, 02:53 PM
ya im sucking it up. unfortunately beer drinking on the weekend is seeming to nix any weight loss

nismodrifter
07-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Down 5 lbs over past week and a half. A few shirts that were getting tight now fit comfortably. Loving this. Exercise intensity at gym is also up.

bigbadboss101
07-11-2018, 03:28 PM
Like max said some pics would be good. Not to judge but to encourage! Enough shit going on in this world we need some positives.

ercchry
07-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Like max said some pics would be good. Not to judge but to encourage! Enough shit going on in this world we need some positives.

I wish I actually took a before pic... cause I rarely seem to get captured on camera top less... this is from years back when I was in the USVI, but before I started IF I was heavier than I probably was back then... but in this before pic I was probably close to the lowest muscle mass I have been.

I’ll call it “close enough”, pretty dramatic. I went from 215ish to 185ish (the ish is cause I can fluctuate 5lbs a day easy) I’m 6’1”, I think i’d Be happy at 180lbs. I’m at a point that I’m just seeing very subtle changes at this point so I’m sure I will settle into a steady weight soon if I don’t make any changes to current lifestyle

And yes, I was trying to look as thin as I could in that before pic... there was a damn fine looking female on that sailboat, so wasn’t letting it “hangout” :rofl:

A790
07-11-2018, 05:37 PM
If I need it, ill grab a small Protein shake, got these from costco, 30 for $38.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81uW3X-lPQL._SL1500_.jpg

Drinking this during your fast breaks the fast...

bigbadboss101
07-11-2018, 06:27 PM
May be he meant during the day to fill calories? Basically any calories break the fast.

A790
07-11-2018, 08:58 PM
May be he meant during the day to fill calories? Basically any calories break the fast.
Probably, you're right.

RE: calories, I've followed the notion that consuming 50 cals or less during the fast doesn't break it. Have done well over the years.

taemo
07-12-2018, 07:32 AM
First time weighting myself the past 4-6 weeks since I knew my weight was always around 190lbs, scale said I'm 183lbs.
10 months since I started IF, I've lost 30lbs.

bigbadboss101
07-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Weigh loss aside I would be interested to see how BP, blood lipid profile etc improve over say a 6 month period too.
I had a late beer yesterday for stress relieve, dohhh.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Drinking warm water helps too I find because I don't drink coffee or tea at all. I'm one of the ones that stick to the nothing but water rule in my fasting window so no caffeine can help me. Just keep drinking a lot of water.

I think this is more important though, your hunger level in the morning will depend on what you ate just before your previous eating window ended. I noticed this because if I eat a protein heavy meal just before my eating window ends then the next morning I don't feel hungry. If I eat the protein meal too early before my eating window ends or I don't eat much protein at all then I get hungry the next morning.

I find the opposite. If I eat a gigantic meal the night before, I'm starved the next morning, but if I eat a smaller meal the night before, I'm far less hungry.

GOnSHO
07-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Yepp, during the day, I try and eat constantly during my 8hrs but if I dont have any food, ill down one for the protein boost too

hurrdurr
07-12-2018, 11:39 AM
I find the opposite. If I eat a gigantic meal the night before, I'm starved the next morning, but if I eat a smaller meal the night before, I'm far less hungry.

That is funny - I often feel the same way - Last night I had a larger meal than I normally do and this morning I felt absolutely fuckin famished. However the night before I ate an hour earlier and consumed 1/2 as much food and I was fine until 2PM next day. Weird how bodies work

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-12-2018, 11:59 AM
That is funny - I often feel the same way - Last night I had a larger meal than I normally do and this morning I felt absolutely fuckin famished. However the night before I ate an hour earlier and consumed 1/2 as much food and I was fine until 2PM next day. Weird how bodies work

In my mind, it's because the bigger meal stretches the stomach, so the next day, I essentially have a bigger stomach to fill = feeling hungrier.

I have no idea if that's what the actual case is, but it's how I explain it to myself.

nissanK
07-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Weigh loss aside I would be interested to see how BP, blood lipid profile etc improve over say a 6 month period too.
I had a late beer yesterday for stress relieve, dohhh.

I'll be starting a fasting program next week an I went and got a Dexa-Scan to see exactly where I stand in BF%. After 3-4 months I'll be going back for a subsequent scan to see the measurable changes.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-12-2018, 01:40 PM
I'll be starting a fasting program next week an I went and got a Dexa-Scan to see exactly where I stand in BF%. After 3-4 months I'll be going back for a subsequent scan to see the measurable changes.

1) Where did you go for the scan?
2) What were your results?

tehwegz
07-12-2018, 07:27 PM
I've been at it for 3 months, took a week off from it recently for vacation which served as a re-feed, and to shake things up. Noon till 8PM works the best on my schedule.

It's also efficient and makes me more productive I find in order to keep myself occupied so the time goes quicker and I don't think of the feeling of hunger.

Before bed I'll prepare food for the next day so I can just wake up, get ready for work, grab my lunch, and gtfo the door. Nice to be able to set my alarm so I get an extra 15 minutes of sleep where I would've been making eggs, toast, oats, a shake, etc.

Liquid calories are key to cramming more in. I've taken a liking to banana, 3/4 cup of oats, a scoop or two of vanilla whey isolate, pinch of cinnamon, and maybe some milk. Easy 500 calories.

CompletelyNumb
07-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Ending my second week of IF and my calories are too low I think. I average 600 under maintenance. Shockingly don't feel all that run down.

Going to up the protein shake to try and get more cals in it though.

Haven't weighed myself yet, but the perpetual beer belly is sticking out a bit less :burnout:

nissanK
07-13-2018, 08:16 AM
1) Where did you go for the scan?
2) What were your results?

Got it done at EFW Radiology: http://efwrad.com/patients/body-composition-analysis

The only location that has the equipment is their Advanced Medical Imaging Centre location and it's only $100.

My results were 24.5% BF mostly located in my midsection (not surprised). What did surprsie me is that I'm stil considered within 'Normal/Acceptable' BF range:

https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

My goal is to get down to 13-15% BF and maintain at that level.