PDA

View Full Version : RIP Anthony Bourdain

dj_rice
06-08-2018, 07:43 AM
A terrible loss in the culinary world. I really enjoyed all his shows.

Dead at 61. By suicide hanging. :(

Anthony Bourdain, the chef and gifted storyteller who took TV viewers around the world to explore culture, cuisine and the human condition for nearly two decades, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series, "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

ExtraSlow
06-08-2018, 07:46 AM
A rare talent. So relatable and engaging.

Lex350
06-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Watching his show made me change the way I travel. So sad.

Xtrema
06-08-2018, 08:31 AM
One of my favorite personalities on TV. Too bad his demons came back.

But his show turned a bit darker since the divorce and you can obviously see he is off last couple of seasons.

spikerS
06-08-2018, 08:34 AM
only TV chef that I felt was real and had an actual passion for cooking. Enjoyed watching his programs a lot. Looks like he never fully shook off his demons. RIP AB.

BigDL
06-08-2018, 09:06 AM
RIP :( I loved his travel shows, he makes me want to travel the world and eat everything...well almost everything.

taemo
06-08-2018, 09:20 AM
what, him too? RIP, loved his shows

Rocket1k78
06-08-2018, 09:38 AM
I loved him too and this is so sad to hear. RIP

Skyline_Addict
06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
RIP. Love his shows.

msommers
06-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Very sad to read this. I think his struggle with substance abuse took over

Kloubek
06-08-2018, 09:48 AM
What's with all these celebs hanging themselves. There has gotta be a better way...

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-08-2018, 10:17 AM
What's with all these celebs hanging themselves. There has gotta be a better way...

The world needs to pay more attention to mental health. If it's happening at this kind of rate with celebrities, I can only imagine what it's like out of the spotlight.

Rest in peace.

01RedDX
06-08-2018, 11:07 AM

HiTempguy1
06-08-2018, 11:08 AM
The world needs to pay more attention to mental health. If it's happening at this kind of rate with celebrities, I can only imagine what it's like out of the spotlight.

Rest in peace.

Remember, suicide is the 10th most common reason of death in the USA.

https://www.healthline.com/health/leading-causes-of-death#16

40,000 suicides vs ~ 10,000 homicides via guns. But which is in the media and gets the most money spent on it? I completely agree way more effort needs to be placed on suicide prevention.

Manhattan
06-08-2018, 11:12 AM
https://twitter.com/AriShaffir/status/1005094991377682432

But seriously this guy had the best job in the world.

jampack
06-08-2018, 11:28 AM
RIP. Love his shows.

Xtrema
06-08-2018, 11:31 AM

Rest in peace.

The spotlight amplifies it you have to live up to public perception on top of your own.

But seriously this guy had the best job in the world.

Well, I think he started to get sick of the fluff piece he got to do as edgier things runs out.

Masked Bandit
06-08-2018, 11:33 AM
One of his quotes really hit home for me this morning:

“I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car — a really nice car — and I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. But there’s been nothing yet.”

I was a Dad in my 30's but the rest of it is pretty damn accurate, and I suspect there are several of us that can relate.

RIP A.B.

Rocket1k78
06-08-2018, 11:42 AM
What an amazing life, he got to travel to all kinds of exotic and faraway places around the world and try every kind of food imaginable.

It's hard to believe that a person could live that kind of life and still be unhappy but he left behind a great body of work and inspired a lot of people.

Agreed. I never in a million years would think he could be unhappy doing what he does but theres tv life and real life.

https://twitter.com/AriShaffir/status/1005094991377682432

Is that supposed to be funny?

ercchry
06-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Traveling and working 240 days a year would be hell on personal relationships... loved by many... but always alone. Would be difficult especially with his checkered past

Disoblige
06-08-2018, 11:56 AM
It seems that the more places I see and experience, the bigger I realize the world to be. The more I become aware of, the more I realize how relatively little I know of it, how many places I have still to go, how much more there is to learn. Maybe that's enlightenment enough - to know that there is no final resting place of the mind, no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom, at least for me, means realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go.

RIP Anthony.

kenny
06-08-2018, 12:24 PM
What an amazing life, he got to travel to all kinds of exotic and faraway places around the world and try every kind of food imaginable.

It's hard to believe that a person could live that kind of life and still be unhappy but he left behind a great body of work and inspired a lot of people.

I think that's just it. Everyone (myself included) think he has a dream life, and that just makes it all the more difficult for him to actually live his life. He's expected to just be "on" and on the up and up at all times and I can see how that can be pretty exhausting and take its toll.

01RedDX
06-08-2018, 12:59 PM

OTown
06-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Remember, suicide is the 10th most common reason of death in the USA.

https://www.healthline.com/health/leading-causes-of-death#16

40,000 suicides vs ~ 10,000 homicides via guns. But which is in the media and gets the most money spent on it? I completely agree way more effort needs to be placed on suicide prevention.

Thats mostly because the media have a self-controlled moratorium on most suicides and they wont report on them (unless its big names of course).

https://doi.org/10.1080/13811119808258290

https://www.cpa-apc.org/wp-content/uploads/2009-3pp-MediaGuidelines-eng.pdf

There is a significant evidence-base demonstrating that media reporting of suicides is linked to copycat
suicides among youth and young adults under 24 years of age. Suicidologists, public health officials,
researchers, psychiatrists, psychologists, and news media professionals with the Canadian Association for
Suicide Prevention (CASP) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) have provided specific guidelines for
the media to report suicide.

civic_stylez
06-08-2018, 01:15 PM
His shows were a great inspiration to see the world and try new things. Was saddened to hear this.

civicHB
06-08-2018, 02:08 PM
Was very sad to see this news in the morning.

You will be missed, and you were a great impact while you lived. Rest in Peace Anthony Bourdain.

ZenOps
06-09-2018, 05:01 AM
Eat like a King, live like a pauper. Or something like that.

NissanFanBoy
06-09-2018, 09:20 AM
"Don't be a shit person..."

legendboy
06-09-2018, 10:40 AM
One of his quotes really hit home for me this morning:

“I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car — a really nice car — and I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. But there’s been nothing yet.”

I remember this and how close it home for me. Have always enjoyed listening to your take on life and thanks for sharing what you did while you could! RIP A.B. :(

tonytiger55
06-09-2018, 09:08 PM
This is really sad.

Ive pulled myself away from the edge a long time ago. To see another person not being able to and fall down that dark passage is deeply sad. I enjoyed some of his videos and travels. It was such a great angle on the one thing that binds us as a species.
I got back from my trip a month ago and it was the foods allowed me to engage with the locals.

Gman.45
06-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Saw some feminist channels talking about how hard his GF has had it lately, etc, and glossing over his suicide. Seemed kinda suspect, until pictures of his GF walking hand in hand and making out with some younger dude showed up online, while he was away without her last week. I imagine her social media will be exploding with "negativity" in the next day or two.

Xtrema
06-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Saw some feminist channels talking about how hard his GF has had it lately, etc, and glossing over his suicide. Seemed kinda suspect, until pictures of his GF walking hand in hand and making out with some younger dude showed up online, while he was away without her last week. I imagine her social media will be exploding with "negativity" in the next day or two.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/8plyh3/asia_argento_was_cheating_on_anthony_bourdain/

CMW403
06-11-2018, 08:59 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/8plyh3/asia_argento_was_cheating_on_anthony_bourdain/

Wow. What a succubus. Theres a train, or a bus, or a rogue AI controlled self driving Tesla somewhere waiting for its chance with her, patiently.

Rocket1k78
06-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Speechless. Whether or not her cheating on him had anything to do with his actual suicide, i could not live with myself knowing that something i did to a person i loved potentially caused them to take their own life. I watched some more of his show on netflix and it was beyond sad knowing that hes gone.

rage2
08-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Wow. What a succubus. Theres a train, or a bus, or a rogue AI controlled self driving Tesla somewhere waiting for its chance with her, patiently.
She's back in the news again.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/article-asia-argento-denies-sexual-assault-says-bourdain-made-payment/

TL;DR: she's a key figure in #metoo movement because Weinstein allegedly raped her. She gets busted in her own scandal because she paid off a 17 y/o suing her after they allegedly had sex, now she blames her dead ex-bf Bourdain for paying the guy off. Even her BFF Rose McGowan is distancing herself.

Bitch is fucked up.